PDA

View Full Version : Advanced 40k - Looking for Volunteers

Plastic Rat
04-08-2008, 05:06
A small group of 40k players are getting together to build an 'advanced' mod for 40k incorporating some of the things that (some) players feel are missing from the game. I realize that a number of projects like this have been started and been left to gather dust on various forgotten forums and e-mail lists.

I feel that with a professional approach, decent planning and realistic goals we can avoid this fate.

Schedule and direction

We're currently about 2 weeks into phase 1 which involves putting together the core team. Making sure each team-member shares the same approach, fleshing out the direction of the rules and what we feel needs to be fixed and what doesn't.

Phase 2 should kick in about 2-4 weeks after this which involves opening up a public forum for input and a blog as well as publishing some playtesting rules.

Phase 3 and onwards involves a re-assessment of everything and a focused approach on codexes, likely starting with Imperial Guard as the baseline for everything.

Project Goals

This is a point form summary of what we hope to accomplish with the project.

Retain and reinforce the flavor of 40k.
Offer more options, choices and tactics to players
Concentrate on making stronger links between gameplay and fluff.
Keep the gameplay and rules fluid and elegant
Make the conversion accessible to players by involving the community in the development of the rules
Deliver a polished, professional and high quality product that is, most importantly, fun to play.

Volunteers?
Right now all of this is running on a closed forum which as I mentioned, is mainly being used to put together the core team and create a staging point.

We're looking for folks who are interested in helping with the project and have the following traits:

- Experience with multiple different game systems.
- Strong written English and communication skills.
- Professional and mature approach to things.
- Access to models and one or more other players locally with which to playtest.
- Knowledge and appreciation of the 40k background.

If you're interested in getting involved from the ground floor, send me a PM on this forum listing any relevant experience, such as other game systems you are familiar with and/or any other projects you may have worked on. Please add your thoughts on how you would like to advance the rules as well (in the PM that is).

BrainFireBob
04-08-2008, 07:41
Being proactive: Excellent.

Be very, very careful of selection bias, though. "Sharing a goal" is awesome, "sharing a vision" can turn into a group of "yes-men." The self-control to shoot down an excellent idea as being too much combined with other things is critical to a superior product.

Burakai
04-08-2008, 07:58
Listen to this man. In fact, you want BrainFireBob on your team. You can tell just based on this one statement.

Sybaronde
04-08-2008, 12:10
I'd be interested in pitching in. I refer to my 40k:CQ project as reference to my experience in this kind of work.

lanrak
04-08-2008, 22:49
Hi .
Ill help if I can.
I have a good knowledge of alternative game mechanics and game play structuring methods .

TTFN
Lanrak.