PDA

View Full Version : Improving 40K: Culamative Priority?

Mr Evil
02-11-2005, 15:55
Many units such as IG Heavy Weapons teams, Dark Reapers, and other stand-still low resiliance heavy firepower models are no longer taken very often due to 4th's removal of screening, replacing it with shooting priority.

What if priority checks were modified by the # of units that were closer to your shooting unit than the enemy unit you were targetting?

Example, my Devastator Squad wants to shoot at a Heavy Weapon team in an IG army. There are four squads of infantry infront of the HW team. Thus, to be able to shoot at the HW team, I need to pass a target priority check at -4.

I'm thinking this method would:
- Allow reapers/hws/etc to be used more in 4th edition games
- The HW teams would also be taking priority tests, meaning that they'd usually be shooting at closer targets and not using their superior firepower to kill things at the back of the opposing army
- More vehicle/transport usage, as being closer means better chance of passing priority and vehicles not having to use priority
- Add some more elements of strategy into the game!

Strikerkc
02-11-2005, 16:01
It wouldn't be a bad move. I'd certainly be fine with it if GW made the change tomarow :).

Deadite
02-11-2005, 16:15
Modifiers are the mindkiller ;)

colhodg
02-11-2005, 16:39
40k should be as modifier free as possible (2nd ed was not fun in this respect) but Ld is already modified in a few situations (assault, ordenance pinning, below 50%) so this suggestion makes sense, will give it a try next game.

That said HW teams should be using their range to hit enemy teams outside of 24", so not playing on small boards will help their survivability.

philbrad2
02-11-2005, 16:44
40k should be as modifier free as possible (2nd ed was not fun in this respect)

2nd ed required a maths degree to work out shooting and save modifiers. I enjoy the Necromunda but my brain aches after the game rembereing all the modifiers - and we used to play 40K with massed formations using this ruleset :wtf:

For all its 'dumbing down' I find the current ruleset more than adequate. Though I find the testing to shoot at the 'juicy' targets a pain - especially with my Havoc squad festooned IW. I think dedicated Heavy weaps team should be treated like stationary vehicles in 4th ed.

:chrome:

Petrov_101
02-11-2005, 17:17
If they added a 5+ cover save to the target squad for being obscured by others that would be ok in my book. At least you wouldn't need any modifiers or anything. I'd lose the LD check (just more die rolling).

Deadite
02-11-2005, 17:21
If they added a 5+ cover save to the target squad for being obscured by others that would be ok in my book. At least you wouldn't need any modifiers or anything. I'd lose the LD check (just more die rolling).

I agree, shooting through another unit should confer a cover save (possibly 6+ like the old "jink" save).
Of course, what kind of nifty bonus would grots or the ork forcefield thingy offer then?

warwizard_99
02-11-2005, 18:44
I think you have th right idea. However, to keep things simple, what if you had a standard -1 Ld to shoot at any other target, other than the closest.

You already have to make the Ld roll, and the -1 penalty would actually affect heavy shooting armies, as they are Ld 7-8.

lord_blackfang
02-11-2005, 20:05

Or you could deploy them in cover ;)

Mr Evil
02-11-2005, 20:45
I really don't think the 'difficulty' of counting how many units are closer than your target and applying that number as a negative modifier to your leadership when testing for target priority is cause for any concern. Anyone who plays 40K by the written rules has to have at the very minimum a grasp of simple mathematics, otherwise they'd never actually be able to create an army list via the points system in the first place.

Most armies have LD 7-8, I think the option of being able to use Heavy Weapon Squads in IG or Reapers outweighs the fact that they might be shooting at the closest target time to time. This benefit applies to your own units as well!

Deadite
02-11-2005, 21:14
Well, playtest it in a variety of circumstances, with a variety of opponents and report back.

Helicon_One
03-11-2005, 21:44
This sounds a little like the Revised Target Priority rules I've been working on recently:

-----------
1. In order to shoot, a unit must pass a Ld test on 1D6 (academic, really, as virtually every unit in the game has Ld6 or better and so will auto-pass).

2. If the target unit is not the closest enemy unit, roll an extra D6 for the test.

3. For every unit the shooters have to trace LoS through to hit the target unit, friend or foe, roll an extra D6 for the test.

4. If a unit fails its first Ld test, it may nominate a second target and test against its Ld in order to shoot at that unit. If this second test is also failed, the unit may not shoot.
-----------

Having intervening friendly units obscure the target just like enemy units is there to prevent screening being the no-brainer abusefest it was in 3rd Ed. Screening should be an option, but it should be a double edged sword, and besides its frankly silly that your big guns all fire magic bullets which have FoF sensors which let them weave through your squads on the way to the enemy. Losing your shooting altogether if you fail the Ld probably seems harsh, but just forcing a unit to target the nearest enemy would be inconsistent with having friendly units obscure LoS too, and the second chance to nominate a target helps to compensate for that.

Tim

big squig
04-11-2005, 04:31
While I like the rule idea, i really think the target priority check thing in 40k was a bad idea. Now don't get me wrong, it's a million times better than the god awful screening rules of third ed., but i think if every unit (friend or foe) blocked line of sight equal to its height would work just fine.

As for players not taking things like dark reapers and guard heavy units because the new screen ing rules makes them obsolete...

USE C-O-V-E-R.

The 3rd ed screening rules made those units too good to begin with and now everyone femaledogs about them being adequate...I have yet to see a unit of dark reapers not in cover since the 4th ed rules came out.