PDA

View Full Version : C'tan hunger question

slaanghoul
05-08-2008, 05:34
I'm a bit confuse about C'tan hunger and eating habit and stats.

OK, the fluff stated that they consume stars and it has no taste so they now feed on soul(or was it living thing?). How long does it take to feed on one star? say an average star like our sun, how long it would take and the nourishment would last how long? Do they just consume it quick like Comic book Galatus(sp) in less then 24hr?

How about soul, do they run around and consume it like a vampire or just do it in masses like how Galactus would feed a planet.

Now the game stats. . . if they are so powerful like the fluff, what the heck are they doing on the table top? I mean, something like C'tan fluff. . . should be able to shoot nuclear laser beam out the ass and does S10 3D6 wounds AP1 Range 300" and template 48" x 48" or something. Also, are each of the C'tan on the table top represent many of them all over the galaxy? I mean. ..or do each one represent only one? Are they like the Eldar Avatar in that there are many of them in the galaxy and a thousand of them can exist at the same time?

Koryphaus
05-08-2008, 05:41
I'd say that they'd take a very long time to consume a star, most likely billions of years. I believe it would be much faster to consume a soul.

What are they doing on the table? Having fun probably! If they were that powerful there would be no point playing the game now would there? We might as well take a squad of 10 Marines, and wipe out a 2000pt Ork army with it.

There are only 4 C'Tan left in the galaxy. The Deciever represents the Deciever. The Nightbringer, the Nightbringer. If there were models and rules for the Outsider and the Void Dragon, then they would represent those individuals.

Nazguire
05-08-2008, 06:02
I'm a bit confuse about C'tan hunger and eating habit and stats.

OK, the fluff stated that they consume stars and it has no taste so they now feed on soul(or was it living thing?). How long does it take to feed on one star? say an average star like our sun, how long it would take and the nourishment would last how long? Do they just consume it quick like Comic book Galatus(sp) in less then 24hr?

How about soul, do they run around and consume it like a vampire or just do it in masses like how Galactus would feed a planet.

Now the game stats. . . if they are so powerful like the fluff, what the heck are they doing on the table top? I mean, something like C'tan fluff. . . should be able to shoot nuclear laser beam out the ass and does S10 3D6 wounds AP1 Range 300" and template 48" x 48" or something. Also, are each of the C'tan on the table top represent many of them all over the galaxy? I mean. ..or do each one represent only one? Are they like the Eldar Avatar in that there are many of them in the galaxy and a thousand of them can exist at the same time?

1.. It takes a while for the C'tan to 'naturally' devour the star. Naturally meaning as a cloud of superheated sentient gas. But not so long as to not be noticed by a civilisation of sufficient technology (ala Necrons). I'm sure that nowadays they have technological devices that speed up the process considerably.

2.. They eat life force, not souls.

3.. On the table top represents them in a weakened state, hence the non God-like stats (which still outclass anything on the table...) but are still more then capable of...well...kicking your behind. Then eating it.

slaanghoul
05-08-2008, 06:07
1.. It takes a while for the C'tan to 'naturally' devour the star. Naturally meaning as a cloud of superheated sentient gas. But not so long as to not be noticed by a civilisation of sufficient technology (ala Necrons). I'm sure that nowadays they have technological devices that speed up the process considerably.

2.. They eat life force, not souls.

3.. On the table top represents them in a weakened state, hence the non God-like stats (which still outclass anything on the table...) but are still more then capable of...well...kicking your behind. Then eating it.

But how long, give me some idea, 24hr or 1 million years? I mean. . .if they take the life one by one. . . heck .. . it would take one C'tan forever to feed of the sun and Earth(as exmple) our population would grow faster than he can consume. On the other hand... if he were to do like Galactus. . . then yes C'tan is a threat.

I'm asking how is this a threat to the GALAXY????

Nazguire
05-08-2008, 06:10
But how long, give me some idea, 24hr or 1 million years? I mean. . .if they take the life one by one. . . heck .. . it would take one C'tan forever to feed of the sun and Earth(as exmple) our population would grow faster than he can consume. On the other hand... if he were to do like Galactus. . . then yes C'tan is a threat.

I'm asking how is this a threat to the GALAXY????

It doesnt' say how long it takes for the C'tan to naturally eat a star and no, they weren't a threat before they were given a necrodermis and a new found purpose. They were just a naturally occuring phenomenon.

They are a threat because;

a) they want to harvest all life in the galaxy
b) they want to harvest all life in the galaxy
c) they want to KILL YOU.

They dont' eat planets, they eat stars. Or used to. Now they eat people. Which is what makes them problematic for Humanity as they are quite proficient at it, with technology millions of years in advance of ours and all.

slaanghoul
05-08-2008, 06:12
I'd say that they'd take a very long time to consume a star, most likely billions of years. I believe it would be much faster to consume a soul.

What are they doing on the table? Having fun probably! If they were that powerful there would be no point playing the game now would there? We might as well take a squad of 10 Marines, and wipe out a 2000pt Ork army with it.

There are only 4 C'Tan left in the galaxy. The Deciever represents the Deciever. The Nightbringer, the Nightbringer. If there were models and rules for the Outsider and the Void Dragon, then they would represent those individuals.

I agree that it is there for us to have fun. But the fluff of 10 marines is not the same as a fluff for C'tan. C'tan is like Tzeentch or Nurgle. . .You don't see GW put out Tzeentch on the table top because that would just bee too powerful.

Last of all, so if u killed a C'tan on the table top .. .that C'tan is really dead?

Nazguire
05-08-2008, 06:17
I agree that it is there for us to have fun. But the fluff of 10 marines is not the same as a fluff for C'tan. C'tan is like Tzeentch or Nurgle. . .You don't see GW put out Tzeentch on the table top because that would just bee too powerful.

Last of all, so if u killed a C'tan on the table top .. .that C'tan is really dead?

Neg, for his essence just coalesces somewhere else.

Tzeentch isn't a physical being and unlike normal daemons, there isn't a person in the universe strong enough to contain his whole essence. Which is why you don't see the model Tzeentch being sold for 55 Australian Dollars in shops.

C'tan are the Gods of Realspace much as the Gods of Chaos are gods of Warpspace. They are polar opposites in a fashion.

Ubermensch Commander
05-08-2008, 06:18

Well according to the fluff given the necrodermis shell pops, the C'tan fly out and go to a new shell.

slaanghoul
05-08-2008, 09:38
It doesnt' say how long it takes for the C'tan to naturally eat a star and no, they weren't a threat before they were given a necrodermis and a new found purpose. They were just a naturally occuring phenomenon.

They are a threat because;

a) they want to harvest all life in the galaxy
b) they want to harvest all life in the galaxy
c) they want to KILL YOU.

They dont' eat planets, they eat stars. Or used to. Now they eat people. Which is what makes them problematic for Humanity as they are quite proficient at it, with technology millions of years in advance of ours and all.

Right, but now there are only 2 that is running around and killing things. How much can these star vampire eat and kill to even make a dent on a planet, let along a star system .. . or OMG a galaxy.

GW should make C'tan more like a marvel comic book, Cosmic being and when they consume, they consume a planet of all life in a day or less. That would be a major threat. Right now. . . lets just give the C'tan a planet with pop of say . .. 1 billion (china) and see if he can eat faster than the population can breed.

Poseidal
05-08-2008, 09:40
Well according to the fluff given the necrodermis shell pops, the C'tan fly out and go to a new shell.

Unless you squig the C'Tan, where they live but remain squigs. Forever.

Simon Sez
05-08-2008, 10:42
Right, but now there are only 2 that is running around and killing things. How much can these star vampire eat and kill to even make a dent on a planet, let along a star system .. . or OMG a galaxy.

GW should make C'tan more like a marvel comic book, Cosmic being and when they consume, they consume a planet of all life in a day or less. That would be a major threat. Right now. . . lets just give the C'tan a planet with pop of say . .. 1 billion (china) and see if he can eat faster than the population can breed.
The Necron 'Dex has a brief mention of soulforges (their name, not mine!) that the deceiver in one future tricks entire planetary populations into entering this is accompanied with a picture of what is presumably a soulforge shooting huge swathes of ligtning into the sky, probably for any C'Tan present to feed on.

I imagine the molecular vacuum cleaners Necrons carry around might collect lifeforce from those they hit to give to a Star Vampire as a snack.

Don't forget also that the C'Tn have complete domination of the material realm, they can make worlds to suit their fancy, if they weren't raising food (Humans) on worlds they could probably exert themselves and turn a hive world into a speck. Remember that's all conjecture

Apologist
05-08-2008, 11:52
There is some speculation that 5th edition and the upcoming Necron codex will deal with some of the questions here.

In particular, some are taking the mentions of Necron lords 'believing' they are 'ancient star gods' to mean that the current tabletop C'Tan are going to be retconned to simply being very powerful necron lords.

There were also rumours that Forgeworld were considering making C'tan that were more in line with their Apocalyptic background similar to their 'Greater' Greater Daemons.

I think both of these sets of rumours are great, and hope that this is the way GW take the C'Tan.

However, in short, there is very little info on the specific questions you've asked. Hopefully the upcoming necron codex will sort 'em all out.