PDA

View Full Version : What were the Lunar Wolves like?

SabrX
06-08-2008, 06:37
I'm planning to buy 2 Assault on Black Reach and paint all the marines primarily white with a bit of Black highlight. They'll double as both Lunar Wolves and Angels of Absolution (Dark Angels). I'll also use them in my Black Legion army as extra recently turned CSM who haven't yet repainted their armor to the Black Legion colors.

I would like to know some fluff behind the Lunar Wolves such as their Doctrine, what type of chapter they were, and how their armies were mostly composed of.

And finally I would like to know if the Sons of Horus had the same color scheme as the Lunar Wolves.

Thanks a lot!

Nazguire
06-08-2008, 06:41
I'm planning to buy 2 Assault on Black Reach and paint all the marines primarily white with a bit of Black highlight. They'll double as both Lunar Wolves and Angels of Absolution (Dark Angels). I'll also use them in my Black Legion army as extra recently turned CSM who haven't yet repainted their armor to the Black Legion colors.

I would like to know some fluff behind the Lunar Wolves such as their Doctrine, what type of chapter they were, and how their armies were mostly composed of.

And finally I would like to know if the Sons of Horus had the same color scheme as the Lunar Wolves.

Thanks a lot!

The Luna Wolves seemed to be a relatively 'Codex' Legion with no real difference to the other Legions, at least in structure. Battle strategies focused around killing the command structure of the enemy and then taking the rest of the opponent apart piece by piece.

They were very aggressive on the offensive, hence Horus' remarks that if his Legion were to ever assault the Imperial Fists, then it would be a case of the Immovable Object vs. the Unstoppable Force.

Sons of Horus had a metallic grey-green colour scheme and their symbol had changed from a wolf on a crescent moon to that of the Eye of Terra (later the Eye of Horus)

Luna de hierro
06-08-2008, 06:49
maybe this could help:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Black_Legion

Brother-Captain Antilles
06-08-2008, 12:14
Although they weren't Codex (given that Luna Wolves were pre Codex Astartes), they were a "normal" Legion, with an emphasis on aggression and attack as Nazguire says. I like to think of them as tending towards a Space Wolves outlook.

To the OP, I would suggest you have a read of Horus Rising, that should help set the tone.

Lord Dante
06-08-2008, 12:51
the first 3 HH books will give u the best insight into the LW.

One thing they always mention is an attack formation called the 'spear tip' - perhaps a comman unit based on this might be worth considering.

Phoenix Blaze
06-08-2008, 16:50
Firstly, I think my fluff nazi side just had a heart attack....or two.

Secondly, it could be cool to base your army around said spear head, so many a unit in drop pods, a fair amount of bolt pistols and chain swords, and tactics wise, an all out attack. Not many Devs as they'd slow you down, just rushing forward to take the enemy by storm!

Col. Tartleton
06-08-2008, 19:34
AKA Black Templar...

Ubermensch Commander
06-08-2008, 19:41
:
AKA Black Templar...

Except with tactics as opposed to "RUN AT THE ENEMY! THE MORE OF US THT DIE THE FASTER WE GO! REMEMBER..RED GOES FASTER SO BLEED MORE!":D

Nazguire
07-08-2008, 05:32
the first 3 HH books will give u the best insight into the LW.

One thing they always mention is an attack formation called the 'spear tip' - perhaps a comman unit based on this might be worth considering.

The 'speartip' was essentially the first men in to destroy the enemy headquarters. Varied in size depending on the enemy (for example, on 'Terra' the Speartip consisted of the Companies of Loken's Tenth Company, Torgaddon's Second Company, Abaddon's First Company and Aximand's Fifth Company and a demi-Legion from the Death's Head Legion.) The rest of the Legion would then be deployed to fight the general enemy in other locations, who by all rights (depending on whether the speartip succeeded or not) would have no higher command structure.

The Speartip on Ullanor consisted of Horus and Abaddon's First Company, of which only Abaddon and Horus walked away from.
Entire First Company of the Sons of Horus killed off, over 600+ Marines killed and in the space of a few years, was back to full strength (or at least, no evidence to suggest otherwise)...

Take that Ultramarines!