PDA

View Full Version : Anyone kno the old dark angels??

chabamkazam
03-11-2005, 01:59
im more of a recent starter into 40k and have read about the older dark angels that are native american like..??? does anyone have a link or picture of what these look like?? thanx:cool:

Brother_McBeaner
03-11-2005, 04:29
There's a short story containing this information called deathwing. You can find it in the Anthology put out by the Black Library.

Delicious Soy
03-11-2005, 07:46
It's not as if the entire Chapter was themed ANtive American at some stage. It was only the squad that caused the origin of the current Deathwing heraldry that were from a world that was reminiscent of Native American culture. DA's are taken from several different worlds and warrior cultures.

squigsnok
03-11-2005, 11:18
True. which suggests if you really wanted a squad of deathwing that were recruited from a world of pink tutu wearing warriors, then logically.... :D

The models were pretty much restricted to a feather or two hanging off a gun. Not a whole lot of difference but it generates alot of heated debate now that it's been hinted the DA's theme is going to change direction with the new codex. See, the Templars stole our old one... :p

damz451
03-11-2005, 15:32
ummm the deathwing squad famous for deafeating the genestealer invasion was on caliban prior to the great crusade (seing how they lost their planet during the crusade its the only possible time)

the native american look still eludes me as the original people of caliban were knights rather than native americans

Asher
03-11-2005, 17:28
ummm the deathwing squad famous for deafeating the genestealer invasion was on caliban prior to the great crusade (seing how they lost their planet during the crusade its the only possible time)

the native american look still eludes me as the original people of caliban were knights rather than native americans

That is wrong on a few levels. At first, there were no tyranids at the time of the crusade. They emerged a lot later.
Second, the dark angels lost caliban by blowing it up while fighting the fallen angels. It is a cruical part of their background.
Third, the dark angels recrute their new marines on many world. Once such a world was invaded by genestealers, and the marines who originated from there puched back the invason. They knew it was a fight to death and thus painted their suits in ceremonial color of death that was a tradition of their tribe. In honor of their dead brothers the whole deathwing painted their terminators form black to bone white.

lion el'jonson
03-11-2005, 17:43
i have been palying DA since i started in the RT days and actually have several squads( getting close to a samll army now) of fallen painted Black (can be open to debate) and 2 units of marines with spears, bolt pistols and shields that i call Knights of caliban iuse them as fallen hunters i did use the assault marines stats Until they brought out company champions (Nearly an exact copy of my marines i took to games day a couple of years ago only they have sword not spear)

Darkest Apostle
03-11-2005, 22:51
The best source of information on this is the expansion Deathwing for the original Space Hulk game. It includes the original story about Cloud Runner and his men saving their planet.

Goblinardo
03-11-2005, 23:03
The models were pretty much restricted to a feather or two hanging off a gun. Not a whole lot of difference but it generates alot of heated debate now that it's been hinted the DA's theme is going to change direction with the new codex. See, the Templars stole our old one... :p

I disagree. Templars have the 'crusading knight' theme, while DAs have the "brooding monk" one.

damz451
04-11-2005, 23:31
I disagree. Templars have the 'crusading knight' theme, while DAs have the "brooding monk" one.

Ten years after arriving on Caliban, the fully grown Primarch was found by a group of knights known as the Order. and then El'Jonson led a planetwide crusade against the forces of Chaos.

this sorta gives the idea that the original dark angels were crusading knights....

Goblinardo
05-11-2005, 01:17
Perhaps that was true of the old DAs, but as it stands now they're all "Repent for tomorrow you will die" and stuff.

Plus they wear monk robes. ;)

Nazguire
05-11-2005, 06:45
Black Templars have a Knights Templar from the Jerusalem Crusades theme. Loud, extroverted, stubborn, ferocious and devout to the last. Thus represented in the chains that bind their weapons to their bodies, the robe that doesn't cover their entire body, with the Templar cross in the middle, their bombastic creeds and their loud and angry nature.

The Dark Angels have a theme of reclusive Inner Circle crusading Knights, not wanting anyone knowing what they are doing, and serving a hidden agenda the whole time they go about mundane business. Thus represented by hooded robes, brooding nature, hostility to outsiders, secret agendas and plans unknown to other Imperial organisations and ancient relics wielded like weapons (Sword of Secrets)

ryng_sting
06-11-2005, 09:51
Ten years after arriving on Caliban, the fully grown Primarch was found by a group of knights known as the Order. and then El'Jonson led a planetwide crusade against the forces of Chaos.

this sorta gives the idea that the original dark angels were crusading knights....

True. See some of the artwork for the pre-heresy DA's in the Sabertooth collections - very knightly. The knightly look, however, has been dropped over the millenia. They're less outgoing and more brooding, and they've adopted a few influences from the many cultures they've visited and recruited from over the years (such as with the Deathwing).