PDA

View Full Version : how does a reform work?

Godswildcard
07-08-2008, 14:29
I want to put the Icon of Rakoph on my Tomb Guard b/c everyone is saying just how nasty that combo is. This allows for a 'free' reform at the beginning of the movement phase. Problem is, I don't really know how to use a reform move to my advantage. Do I just move my guys up 8' and call it a reform? do I go from formation a to formation b? If thats it, what is formation a & b? Also, am I allowed to move afterwords since this is a 'free' reform?

Atrahasis
07-08-2008, 14:35
See "Reforms" in the movement section. That's what you get to do.

It's free, and in addition to the unit's normal movement.

Godswildcard
07-08-2008, 14:41
I read it in the rules, but I'm still confused. It says on pg. 14 of the BfSP rulebook: "keeping the center point of the unit the same,arrange the unit into a formation of as many ranks as you please, facing whichever direction you wish, so long as none of the models in the unit move ore than twice their normal move distance."

Ok, so that said, if I have to keep the center point the same, how is this going to help me? People are saying that I get to do the free reform, move, and then charge in the magic phase, with an effect charge range of 20" (8" - reform, 4"- normal movement, 8" charge) but I don't understand how to do it properly. I really need more of a breakdown on it.

Atrahasis
07-08-2008, 14:45
The 20" thing is viewed by many as abusive.

In the ordinary useage of the item, it is only really useful if something has flown/moved into your flank/rear arc.

The "abusive" useage goes thus:

1. Reform your block into a conga line.
2. In "Remaining Moves" use a "Change Formation" manoeuvre to expand your frontage by up to 5 models (this costs half your move). Use the remaining 2" to do whatever you like.
3. Charge in the magic phase.

Oenghus
07-08-2008, 14:58
The non-abusive usage of Rakaph is still pretty good. Having a hard-hitting unit like Tomb Guard with a skirmisher's (360 degree) charge arc is awesome -- especially if you've got a prince or king in there.

Back to rules, though -- yeah generally, unless you want to be shady, you just get to turn the unit to face any direction before you declare your charges.

Godswildcard
07-08-2008, 15:03
ok. So, let me make sure I got this.

1) In a unit of 21 models (20 TG, 1 TK) arranged in 5x4 formation, I would use Icon to Reform. Keeping the guy in the center of the unit planted, I would move everyone else into a long line making sure no one moves more than 8". Now I've got 20 models in line.
2) finishing up my movement phase, I would 'change formation' and move the models back into the 5x4 formation that I had earlier, than move them forward another 2".
3) Use an incantation to charge a unit of 3 bloodcrushers...

I'm sorry that I kinda have to keep going over this, and I appreciate your help. I just need to make sure that I've got it right before I try it. Thanks!

moose
07-08-2008, 15:33
A reform isn't intended to be a form of movement. It allows you to face a different direction, or change the formation of your unit. So your archers in a line of 20 can reform into a 4 x 5. Or your tomb guard can change the point they're facing before a charge.

I use my icon of rakaph to prevent people flanking my tomb guard unit, or tricking opponents into moving into a position where they think they can charge. Then I turn my unit to face the direction of them, move/charge, then magically charge if needed.

You can use the reform to all sorts of abusive reforms, but you won't win friends - and most people won't let you do something so blatantly cheating anyway. Hence it's best to use it as a means of protecting your heirophant/tomb kings unit getting flanked and crushed.

Moose.

Godswildcard
07-08-2008, 15:48
ok. I get it now. Thanks for the help guys. If its looked down upon, I won't be doing it. But, does it make since to deploy my TG w their back facing the enemy, and then let the enemy get close enough thinking its easy game, then reform, move, and charge?

Trimmey
07-08-2008, 16:50
ok. I get it now. Thanks for the help guys. If its looked down upon, I won't be doing it. But, does it make since to deploy my TG w their back facing the enemy, and then let the enemy get close enough thinking its easy game, then reform, move, and charge?

That would be an incrdibly sneaky tactic and may well work, but it would only work once and even the first time it would certaainlky look suspicous. Still I am tempted to try this as it looks like it could be fun, it might also be fun to change the army list later and see if you can bluff it, or take two units doing the same so he has a 50/50 chance of picking the wrong one.

On a sidenote does this bonus reform work in the magic phase as well as the invocation reads "The unit may make a move exactly as in the movement phase?" so you would get 2 free reforms on a succesful incantation?

Oenghus
07-08-2008, 16:59
On a sidenote does this bonus reform work in the magic phase as well as the invocation reads "The unit may make a move exactly as in the movement phase?" so you would get 2 free reforms on a succesful incantation?

As I recall, Rakaph's reform happens at the beginning of your turn, before the outset of the movement phase, and so can't be used in a magically-induced movement. That's how I've always played it, anyway. If I'm wrong, though, I'd love to know. :evilgrin:

As for the uses of Rakaph -- this probably isn't the place -- but I generally use it to keep my TG in position on a flank, "encouraging" people to come at my force from the other direction. When they commit (or I just need to get the TG into combat for some other reason) I reform, move, and charge to another area of the battlefield, bringing what is (often) my strongest unit to bear exactly where and when I want it.

Trimmey
07-08-2008, 17:14
As I recall, Rakaph's reform happens at the beginning of your turn, before the outset of the movement phase, and so can't be used in a magically-induced movement. That's how I've always played it, anyway. If I'm wrong, though, I'd love to know. :evilgrin:

As for the uses of Rakaph -- this probably isn't the place -- but I generally use it to keep my TG in position on a flank, "encouraging" people to come at my force from the other direction. When they commit (or I just need to get the TG into combat for some other reason) I reform, move, and charge to another area of the battlefield, bringing what is (often) my strongest unit to bear exactly where and when I want it.

Actually Rakaph reads "A unit of TG or SW containing this banner may make a free reform move at the start of its movement phase. This is done before charges are declared....etc" So I believe that a RAW approach will mean you get two reforms as Makara's incantation of Urgency reads "...exactly like in the movement phase...."

Still this smacks of rules lawyering so I will make sure I discuss it with my opponent prior to the battle.

Gazak Blacktoof
07-08-2008, 17:58
No you don't the free reform is in the movement phase only. You get to move with the incantation you don't get another movement phase- its still the magic phase.

Isn't this in the TK FAQ?