PDA

View Full Version : I'm tired of blaming Chaos.....

Kronos
07-08-2008, 19:22
Well had a thought the other day, and just thinking as far as i know their are no political reasons for renegades in 40k (at least that i know of). Every time their is a renegade force it's because x chaos god has converted them. Is there or have you heard of Renegades which are political rengades or have chosen another religion other than the chaos gods?

MagrukWikkid
07-08-2008, 19:28
I reckon that there are many other reasons. Most just aren't widely publicised - the Imperium would much rather blame the Chaos fellows. Just do your thing! I was thinking of using the new SM codex for a renegade chapter. Just remove the Imperial iconography, and away you go...

PondaNagura
07-08-2008, 19:38
some planets don't yet belong to the imperium and would like to keep their independence. or they are just sick of having to pay crappy taxes to the imperium, and see little or no rewards for their efforts, and so revolt. maybe they want to carve out their own empire, ally with xenos.

Kage2020
07-08-2008, 19:57
Chaos is an old crutch, and one of the reasons that I originally drifted away from GW hobbyism back in the day. (I'd also been sidetracked into roleplaying with WFRP and even got tired of the Chaos crutch in that game as well!) There are, however, oodles of reasons worlds might go rebel in the Imperium, whether from "taxation" (tithe), perceptions of injustice, power plays on behalf of local nobles or extended plots of "Imperial" nobles, etc.

"In the depths of space no one can hear you scheme."

Etc. (Cannot remember where that quote comes from.)

40k as a setting is much more than the 'fluff,' sometimes comprised of little more than platitudes, homilies, and soundbites, might have you believe. It is a universe rife with corruption, scheming, politics, and economy. All present in the real world if you needed some inspiration. :D

Kage

Tarota
07-08-2008, 20:13
I think one complicating factor is that chaos gods tend to hijack political movements. Don't want to pay the Imperial Tithe, because you think your people deserve a better standard of living? Watch out for Slaanesh. Tired of splitting raw materials throughout the sector, and want more to go toward your factories? Khorne has a way to do that. Facing a plague because Imperial bureaucracy is holding up medical shipments? There's a nice representative from a "Mr. N. Urgle" to see you.

I'm sure some renegade governments manage to stay clean. But it's like rebel movements during the Cold War: they could reject outside resources, but very few did. There are some recent examples of Tau-influenced rebellions, but that's just another source of outside resources.

Now, if you wanted to build a truly independent world, I would say go for it: it's a big galaxy out there. But I can see why it doesn't occur much in published fluff.

Kronos
07-08-2008, 20:33
Thnaks for the information guys, i guess i forgot to say i wasn't actually making a rebel force (yet, but there is always a bit of a rebel in all of us :P). I was actually trying to find out if politics were the reason for Imperials to rebel.

And i completley forgot about the Tau Human forces that join the Tau Empire, quite like the idea of Humans joining Xeno.

Gorbad Ironclaw
07-08-2008, 20:35
There are plenty of examples of planets that go independet for other reasons. The problem generally is that a single planet without some sort of outside support don't stand much of a chance of staying independent once the Imperial military machine rolls around.

Kage2020
07-08-2008, 21:04
...I was trying to find out if politics were the reasons for Imperials to rebel.
In short? Yep...

...It's one of the reasons, anyway. :D

Kage

The Anarchist
07-08-2008, 21:52
if you look at the babd war it didnt start as chaos thing, or at least not for all parties involved so that is one of the big rebelions/inserections that wasn't entirely the fault of chaos.

overall as ahs been stated there are many rebelions, i mean look at our world now put that on the scale of the millions of worlds in the Imperium and the even more draconian government many of those worlds ahve than are present on our own. so its easily belivable that there are rebbelions in the Impoerium that have nothing to do with chaos, jsut a little bit of fluff and you have a good story for your renegade but chapter space marines or whatever else you need.

TheOverlord
08-08-2008, 01:39
Aliens.

Some worlds become rebels because of the sweet cancerous lies of the Tau and the Genestealer cults. Some because the Eldar thought that political instability would help their odds against the inevitability of their deaths.

But the main reason why Chaos is always insinuated is because when a world is in political upheaval and destabilization, it makes it easier for Chaos Cults to work their magic, thus making a small part of the society into Chaos. And of course, Chaos Space Marines can hardly pass up such a tasty morsel of renegade scum, can they? :D

If you're asking about Space Marines, well then the only reason is why would you turn from something weak to something weaker still? If a space marine falls, he falls to self indulgence, which in part is a nature of Chaos, so I guess it makes it easier for them to turn renegade towards Chaos. Plus Chaos has the potential for immortality and near infinite power, who WOULDN'T want it?

Chem-Dog
08-08-2008, 03:54
This is real Chicken/Egg question.
Did Chaos corrupt the person or did the Corrupt person call to Chaos? Was the rebel a rebel before he sold his soul or was his soul simply the price of achieving his goals?

The Imperium is an unutterably brutal regime, at the bottom of it's society are a subclass, Mutants, shunned because they are proclaimed by the God-Emperor himself to be unclean, yet they are not so unclean that they can't toil their worthless lives away on jobs that are too demeaning and/or dangerous in the hope of redemption for the sin of being born.

Next up you have the every day citizen, required to work 20 hour shifts in a job often preordained for them from before birth by way of inheritance with no hope of improvement of their fortune or standing from the day they start to the day they are found dead at their station.

Above the Citizenry you have the Nobility, the idle rich, few of them consider the poor serf who lives and dies to keep their profit margins respectable and if they do it's with disdain.
So rich that you can buy anything, with a lifetime extended into centuries wealth is guarded jealously and power is craved.

The irony of the Imperium is that it's so utterly totalitarian that it only has itself to blame for the inevitable rebellion and potential uprising, it's inevitable that any forces seeking to disrupt the Imperium would seek to capitalise on these disaffected or corrupt individuals, the key advantage for Chaos in comparison to a more mundane aggressor is that it doesn't have any physical boundaries to cross to influence the individuals in question, subtle whispers of Salvation and Acceptance to the Mutant, Freedom and Satisfaction to the Citizen and to the Nobility Power and Dominion over all others are all that's needed. Chaos simply supplies the spark to the Imperium's powder keg.

It's entirely possible that an Imperial Governor can declare independence from the Imperium to alleviate his populace from excessive tithes or to follow a more enlightened secular philosophy (;)), His interpretation of the Imperial cult might vary enough from the accepted norm to qualify as heretical (whilst simultaneously not actually causing any harm) or whatever without any help from the Dark Gods, indeed a crafty Farseer might have a hand in, the Tau philosophy is considered incredibly too, a Necron Lord in disguise might be up for a little trouble making or even a Genestealer cult is festering in the guts of the Capitol city.....

Chaos is simply the easiest to spot (tentacles, raining blood etc etc). It's probably the one that's watched for most diligently too.

olmsted
08-08-2008, 04:43
theres also gene cults. there are just not that many novels i would assume that show a planet falling out of imperial rule.

sydbridges
08-08-2008, 04:52
or have chosen another religion other than the chaos gods?

People seem to have the other stuff covered, so I figured I'd take this one on quickly.

I think one of the major reasons that the Chaos cults are so successful is that they worship beings that actually exist. You could in the grim darkness start the cult of the "Giant Benevolent Space Iguana," but you're going to find competition with the local Tzeentch cult to be pretty difficult. Your space lizard god has approximately zero miracles to his name, while Tzeentch is giving out his blessings for "free." If you don't like Tzeentch, feel free to replace it with whatever of the Chaos powers you like.

Of the other beings that are described in divine terms, the C'tan would mostly find humans worshiping them at best amusing, the Eldar gods probably couldn't care less if some humans decided to worship them (and would probably find the whole ordeal confusing), I'm not sure Gork or Mork take non-Ork followers and if they do, I imagine ork worship probably has a high fatality rate amongst orks, much less not-quite-so-tough human initiates into their incredibly deep philosophies... I think the point is getting clear. The Chaos gods are probably about the only gods a human could worship and get some sort of positive, helpful response. And tentacles.

This doesn't mean that non-Chaos worshiping humans don't crop up - there's a tale in the Necron codex of a planet of humans that worship one of the C'tan, probably the Deceiver, until they are found by the Imperium, their temples are razed, and then he returns and wipes out all life on the planet. It's on page 50 in the codex. And there's a large cult also mentioned in the Necron Codex in the AdMech which is thought to be worshiping the probably slumbering Void Dragon C'tan as the Omnissiah.

But these cults aren't going to be anything like as numerous as Chaos cults, 'cause, as mentioned, Chaos cults get results.

MrBigMr
08-08-2008, 05:25
Didn't Krieg rebel all on its own? I mean, with the way majority of the fluff describes the world (grimdark and all), it's amazing we actully don't have more proletarians trying to beat the class system over the head with a lead pipe.

Brother Siccarius
08-08-2008, 05:56
Well had a thought the other day, and just thinking as far as i know their are no political reasons for renegades in 40k (at least that i know of). Every time their is a renegade force it's because x chaos god has converted them. Is there or have you heard of Renegades which are political rengades or have chosen another religion other than the chaos gods?

The first Gaunt's Ghosts book, in which is included a story of Gaunt's first war, which was against some political rebels who decided they didn't want the Imperium in their business anymore.

There's the Ciaphas Cain books, one of which includes a world that's gone rebel via their governor being a gene-stealer hybrid.

I remember hearing alot about Governors who just "went rogue" and separated from the Imperium in the old fluff, nothing specific though.

There's always certain events like the reign of Goge Vandire (which actually may or may not have been chaos inspired *shrug*), the third sphere expansion of the Tau, the night of a thousand rebellions, or the end of the Macharian crusade (after Macharius's death of course).

GavT
08-08-2008, 08:00
It's simplistic to equate a greater degree of totalitarianism to a greater urge for rebellion. Most of us on this site live in a social western democracy and there's still no end of protests and rebellion. If anything, freedom begets more freedom. There's a reason that monarchs and churches managed to rule with absolute power for hundreds of years - the oppressed often cannot conceive of life being different, or are utterly powerless to enact any ambition to change the status quo.

In regard to 40K, Chaos is a means by which even the most powerless can imagine a different life and gain a lever with which to influence events. The lowliest, most menial person can overthrow worlds with the power of Chaos. That's the real lure, and the danger that knowledge of Chaos spreads. If you knew that there was a button hidden somewhere that would make you all-powerful, would you be able to resist pushing it? Knowing that such a thing is possible is the insidious threat the Imperial authorities must constantly guard against.

I also feel it pertinent to point out again that the Imperium isn't brutal and harsh because it wants to be, but because it is the only way it can function (or rather, not function). On the scale of the Imperium individual planets usually don't factor, nevermind individual humans. It is crushing and heartless because of its size and complexity and the necessity of protecting the populace against the many dangers that threaten them, most commonly themselves!

Cheers,

GAV

nurizeko
08-08-2008, 14:46

It was years ago but I remember we had a campaign at our local GW.

One of my mates had Imperial guard and he had always used Communist markings on them, and basically he started a communist guard revolt in the campaign, and over the course of the campaign more folks with guard armies joined him, even had a communist propaganda poster stuck right next to the campaign news.

Chaos wasn't even mentioned once in the revolt, the Imperials weren't pleased with this guard revolt to communist ideals in the midst of a campaign to say the least. :)

Khaeron Baoth
08-08-2008, 20:00
There is always Imrial propaganda. It is easy to blame Chaos, it corrupted Horus and will try to destroy Empire again. Also Emperor is shield against Chaos, so logically all Emperorīs enemies MUST be chaotic.

Paul Nexus
08-08-2008, 21:19
The Imperium is very narrow minded. To them almost any rebellion has to be the work of Chaos.

Tarota
08-08-2008, 21:38
The lowliest, most menial person can overthrow worlds with the power of Chaos.
Exactly.

Similarly, they can take over a rebel movement. Rebellions that start out with the most noble of intentions still upset social mores, which causes more people to turn to...alternate sources of power. Which just makes it that much more likely that some Sorceror will come along and move into the leadership of the rebellion.

Lion El Jason
08-08-2008, 21:43
Remember the badab war. 2 Marine chapters fought against the imperial forces because they saw the conflict as an attempt to end the independance of space marine chapters and fought to defend that right.
They were forgiven after the war and imposed with a 100 year penetance crusade.

Some human worlds have sided with the Tau too... I guess chaos just has the better PR.

Kronos
08-08-2008, 22:59
.......... i just don't know what to say really, i guess i should look a lot deeper into fluff before assuming that politics played no role in an Imperial rebellion. Thanks for the posts guys, and thanks for clearing things up a bit :)

SwordJon
09-08-2008, 02:32
I can also imagine a scenario in which a world rebels for legitimate political or social reasons, and once it is all said and done, the Inquisition would rather spread the idea that Chaos had attempted to overtake the planet (and could therefore condemn any radical political or social ideas as being heretical and damning) as opposed to allowing the idea to spread that there could be a legitimate way to run a planetary institution other than through the Imperium.

So perhaps not every report of a Chaos incursion/rebellion is legitimate? I imagine there are Imperial Commanders who would find it easier to scare you into subservience with Chaos at your heels than have to defend the the role of the Imperium on intellectual grounds.

Kage2020
09-08-2008, 03:58
Also, while it's easy to look to medieval Europe for explanations about the state of the Imperium, it should also be remembered that the Imperium of Man is not medieval Europe. Sure, it's great to use that as a theme, and depending just on how you model things it might even get close, but there are factors involved in the 40k universe that do not so readily conform to that particular theme...

Kage

Chem-Dog
09-08-2008, 04:26
Giant Benevolent Space Iguana

:D

I'm not sure Gork or Mork take non-Ork followers....

Diggaz?

Didn't Krieg rebel all on its own? I mean, with the way majority of the fluff describes the world (grimdark and all), it's amazing we actully don't have more proletarians trying to beat the class system over the head with a lead pipe.

It happens all the time, if it's not happening it's simmering underneath the surface, that's where Mr A. Tpointed-Starr comes in....

There's always certain events like the reign of Goge Vandire (which actually may or may not have been chaos inspired *shrug*)

Nope, just genuinely mentalist.

It's simplistic to equate a greater degree of totalitarianism to a greater urge for rebellion. Most of us on this site live in a social western democracy and there's still no end of protests and rebellion. If anything, freedom begets more freedom. There's a reason that monarchs and churches managed to rule with absolute power for hundreds of years - the oppressed often cannot conceive of life being different, or are utterly powerless to enact any ambition to change the status quo.

In regard to 40K, Chaos is a means by which even the most powerless can imagine a different life and gain a lever with which to influence events. The lowliest, most menial person can overthrow worlds with the power of Chaos. That's the real lure, and the danger that knowledge of Chaos spreads. If you knew that there was a button hidden somewhere that would make you all-powerful, would you be able to resist pushing it? Knowing that such a thing is possible is the insidious threat the Imperial authorities must constantly guard against.

I also feel it pertinent to point out again that the Imperium isn't brutal and harsh because it wants to be, but because it is the only way it can function (or rather, not function). On the scale of the Imperium individual planets usually don't factor, nevermind individual humans. It is crushing and heartless because of its size and complexity and the necessity of protecting the populace against the many dangers that threaten them, most commonly themselves!

Cheers,

GAV

Perfectly put Gav :)

There is always Imrial propaganda. It is easy to blame Chaos, it corrupted Horus and will try to destroy Empire again. Also Emperor is shield against Chaos, so logically all Emperorīs enemies MUST be chaotic.

The Imperium is very narrow minded. To them almost any rebellion has to be the work of Chaos.

GAH!!!! The Inquisition doesn't hand out leaflets on the "Dangers of Chaos" the populace at large is kept entirely ignorant if at all possible.
After the first war for Armageddon every single survivor was rounded up, sterelised and put into forced labour camps while people from another sector (who were ignorant of the entire thing) were moved in. A perfect example of totalitarianism at it's finest, methinks.

Remember the badab war. 2 Marine chapters fought against the imperial forces because they saw the conflict as an attempt to end the independance of space marine chapters and fought to defend that right.
They were forgiven after the war and imposed with a 100 year penetance crusade.

Hmm, a conflict started by an infamous CHAOS LORD?!

One man's sin is the damnation of a thousand.

I can also imagine a scenario in which a world rebels for legitimate political or social reasons, and once it is all said and done, the Inquisition would rather spread the idea that Chaos had attempted to overtake the planet (and could therefore condemn any radical political or social ideas as being heretical and damning) as opposed to allowing the idea to spread that there could be a legitimate way to run a planetary institution other than through the Imperium.

No. No. No. There is no way the Inquisition are going to go around saying "Chaos did it" at all, Ever. If an Inquisitor is required to tell anyone anything it's likely to be the other way, ie the Chaos part is omitted.

SwordJon
09-08-2008, 04:45
No. No. No. There is no way the Inquisition are going to go around saying "Chaos did it" at all, Ever. If an Inquisitor is required to tell anyone anything it's likely to be the other way, ie the Chaos part is omitted.

I'm sorry, what? Most people in the Imperium don't understand the threat of Chaos past the idea that it's very scary, and they'll eat your soul. No harm would be done if a population has fought against Chaos in the past, and are already aware of it's existence, an Inquisitor could easily use propaganda to display a fictitious fight against Chaos to rally support to themselves and to draw supporters away from rebel forces.

Or are you trying to tell me that in the entire 40k galaxy something like this could never conceivably happen, ever?

Geddonight
09-08-2008, 07:32
I'm sorry, what? Most people in the Imperium don't understand the threat of Chaos past the idea that it's very scary, and they'll eat your soul. No harm would be done if a population has fought against Chaos in the past, and are already aware of it's existence, an Inquisitor could easily use propaganda to display a fictitious fight against Chaos to rally support to themselves and to draw supporters away from rebel forces.

Or are you trying to tell me that in the entire 40k galaxy something like this could never conceivably happen, ever?

Well, given the plethora of worlds, it's entirely possible, but it's not likely to happen. After reading the Eisenhorn & Ravenor books, it seems that the standard populace is kept in the dark about such things (most don't even know about the Horus Heresy). It's probably true that chaos is generally known, but I'm more inclined to believe that it's kept as hush-hush as possible--the fewer people who know the forces of Chaos really exist, the fewer people there are to seek out the gifts of the gods.

I imagine much more effort is spent reminding citizens that it is heresy to interact with the myriad xenos species in the 40k universe--there's more than just tau and eldar out there, afterall. Thousands of minor species draw attention (or at least hundreds).

And folks here are absolutely right--chaos isn't always the reason for a planet going rogue. (and hey, at least we're not all saying "c'tan did it" either). I seem to recall a story in the old assassins codex--the eversor and vindicare both hunted down rogue planetary governors (if I remember correctly). In any case, both targets had no mention of chaos in their revolts. If memory serves, one ceded (is that right?) from the imperium because of the economic impact tithes were having on the planet.

Cheers!

Holy_Combat
09-08-2008, 07:37
I am under the impression that most people don't even comprehend what Chaos is, except in the most abstract form. There is a part in Warriors of Ultramar where a gang leader, the name slips me atm, noticed that a hologram that was normally reserved for the church preachers to broadcast sermons about the population's soul. However the nids were about to make planet fall, so the hologram showed the various species of nids. As a policy, I think the IoM would only inform the general population about threats of Chaos only if war was near. That way the population could have some knowledge how to fight Chaos, but not enough to cause trouble, due to the lack of forehand knowledge and time to prepare any cults. As stated above, then after Chaos is defeated the IoM would purge the population for the safty of the rest of the IoM.

ryng_sting
09-08-2008, 10:00
The background suggests any number of reasons why men and marines go renegade, which have nothing to do with Chaos at all. The Badab War showed there can be degrees of rebellion, even excluding things like corrupt genetics, or ideology. For more detail, see the IA article, to say nothing of the CSM Codex, and even the classic Angels of Darkness.

MrBigMr
09-08-2008, 13:17
Imperium does blame Chaos a lot. Remember the ol' Chaos Androids?

Chainsworded Codpiece
09-08-2008, 14:40
:D

Hmm, a conflict started by an infamous CHAOS LORD?!

One man's sin is the damnation of a thousand.

Um, wait a moment.

Is it now correct background to presume that Lufgt Huron was a Chaotic when he started the Badab War? I mean, I know that even in the fluff from WD 101 (99?), he was a sneaky paranoid *******; most damningly, he'd been withholding both monetary AND geneseed tithes from the Administratum and AdMech for at least a decade, and they were pissed about this.

But originally, there was no definitive mention of his madness and megalomania's cause. It was all "perhaps" this or "perhaps" that...

I was under the impression that he certainly BECAME a Chaotic once he was forced to hide in the Maelstrom. But before that, wasn't the Badab War just a massive Astartes Insurrection, pushed by man whose ethical compass had turned to fizzy cola?

Please advise. I'm hoping they kept the more "human-failings"/less "Xaos did everything" background...

EDIT: HAW! CHAOS ANDROIDS! I remember those huchbacked, lookin'-like-cultist-tattooed-versions-of C3PO mutha's! Hilarious!

By the way, they weren't proto-'Crons. Nope. They were a mass-produced killbot series made-to-order for the Word Bearers, direct from the Lathes of Kai, right before the Artificiers of Kai were eaten for their pains. True Story!
So they got out the Kai Gun and the 'Droids, then they were Khorne-chum. Kai...the sucka-MC's of the Eye of Terror.

Adra
09-08-2008, 22:24
Also dont forget that some rebelions would be dealt with on planet. That is to say factional splits on world, some loyal to the golden throne, some not, may fight it out and win on the side of the Imperium so no outside source gets involved. An Inquisitor may well investigate the incident and kill some folk but could just been down to normal human greed, ideology, anger...whatever. Not a chaos god in sight.

And I can totaly see the Imperium blaming Chaos rather than simple social unrest. Chaos offers the nice neat bonus of all actions being justified. Chaos cults in ya local town? Blow up the town. Higher levels of the imperium know enough about chaos to understand its danger and thats who the lie would be given to, not jo imperium. What does the inquistion care what the masses think? Let the government take the lie of chaos and let them deal with what lie to spin to the drones.

Lion El Jason
10-08-2008, 00:43
Um, wait a moment.

Is it now correct background to presume that Lufgt Huron was a Chaotic when he started the Badab War? I mean, I know that even in the fluff from WD 101 (99?), he was a sneaky paranoid *******; most damningly, he'd been withholding both monetary AND geneseed tithes from the Administratum and AdMech for at least a decade, and they were pissed about this.

But originally, there was no definitive mention of his madness and megalomania's cause. It was all "perhaps" this or "perhaps" that...

I was under the impression that he certainly BECAME a Chaotic once he was forced to hide in the Maelstrom. But before that, wasn't the Badab War just a massive Astartes Insurrection, pushed by man whose ethical compass had turned to fizzy cola?

Yeah, him becoming a chaos worshipper was a retcon /update.

Paul Nexus
10-08-2008, 00:50
Originally Posted by Paul Nexus
GAH!!!! The Inquisition doesn't hand out leaflets on the "Dangers of Chaos" the populace at large is kept entirely ignorant if at all possible.
After the first war for Armageddon every single survivor was rounded up, sterelised and put into forced labour camps while people from another sector (who were ignorant of the entire thing) were moved in. A perfect example of totalitarianism at it's finest, methinks.

The masses may not know what chaos is, but the Imperuim is still narrow minded and think that every rebel has to have turned to chaos. It is the only way they can comprehend it. Just like in Medieval times, anything unusual had to be witchcraft. Argh, they float, witch!

Chilltouch
10-08-2008, 10:51
The masses may not know what chaos is, but the Imperuim is still narrow minded and think that every rebel has to have turned to chaos. It is the only way they can comprehend it. Just like in Medieval times, anything unusual had to be witchcraft. Argh, they float, witch!

No, that's what the Imperial civilians think and are told to think. Space Marines wouldn't be very good at their job if they just assumed "'ey, lads, we're fighting humans. They've gotta be Chaos worshippers" when they are in fact indoctrinated into the Gue'vesa or perhaps are Genestealer-hybrids or maybe even enslaved by Orks or Dark Eldar. Anyone that is remotely up-there in the hierarchy knows of the different threats to the Imperium and their use of humanity. Heck, Inquisitors are made to deal with inside-threats. Ordo Malleus deals with Chaos, Ordo Hereticus deals with psykers and mutants and Ordo Xenos deals with aliens. Now, if the Imperium considered Chaos the only inside-threat, then there'd only be Ordo Malleus.
Not everyone in the Imperium is blind to the truth. Most of what we know about each race is explained from the Imperium's perspective, in fact. Heck, if Inquisitors weren't able to tell the difference between different types of corruption, good ol' Kryptmann would've looked at the Genestealer-hybrids inhabiting a group of planets, said 'yep, that's a Chaos infestation' and would've warded it from Chaos instead of displacing them and redirecting an entire Hive Fleet.

icegreentea
10-08-2008, 19:10
The degree to which people know of Chaos depends on which generation of fluff you're reading. Older fluff had the taint of Chaos so strong that IG were pretty much one time use, and Marines had to have their memories wiped. We've moved past that now, to the point where Marines and even Guardsmen know of Chaos. For Guardsmen, it depends on their situation, and what world they're in.

But really, it falls back to the old standard of 40k fluff. It depends. Imperium is big.

As for what the Inquisition would say about rebelling worlds? Probably nothing. Or complete lies. Remember that interplanetary communication among the masses is relatively poor. Worlds can rebel, be quarantined, half turned into a daemon world, cleansed, and then abandoned, and a factory worker or owner in a near by world would only know that they've lost exports due to economic collapse on Kiphus IV or cut off by warpstorms, or planetary reactor disaster.

MrBigMr
10-08-2008, 21:25
It could be that both versions are true. I mean, as much as different regiments and chapters vary in style and tactics, they also vary in treatment of Chaos exposure. Some regiments use mutants and psycher while others shoot both on sight. So some regiments might get wiped out for marely seeing a daemon or something.

I was reading Farseer and at one point Janus mentions that they told them about Heretics and the dangers of psychers (aka. Perils of the Warp) early on in school. So certainly some world are more "enlightened" than others.

TheBlueGrassGamer
11-08-2008, 16:08
Howdy,

And just to add to the confusion, there is another that a planet might rebel: to stay *loyal* to the IoM. There is an older story, collected in Let the Galaxy Burn if I remember correctly, that deals with unit of Space Marines sent to a rebellious world.

As the SMs are cutting through the rebel forces, a Librarian notices something. As he cuts down a pysker with the Librarian realizes what's been troubling him: he doesn't have the same sense of purpose that comes from cutting down heretics and traitors. The Librarian and other SMs eventually call a cease fire with the rebels.

It turns out that the planetary governor had rebelled against the IoM's rule. And the citizenry had risen up in arms to return the planet to the light IoM.

By the time the SMs and PDF stormed the governor's mansion, the governor was dead and his CSM masters had fled the planet.

Thanks,
Bluegrass

Adra
11-08-2008, 18:04
We only blame Chaos cos its always the fault of Chaos dammit!!!!

Chaos was why i was late getting up this morning.....