PDA

View Full Version : Penal legion markings?

brother clavero
08-08-2008, 03:02
I was wondering if anyone knew what the red arrow marking on the last chancers and savlar chem dogs(seen it in a WD article) stands for? I know that it is some kind of penal marking but don't know what it stands for. I've thought about putting the mark on my penal troops but would like to know what it is first.

Green Shoes
08-08-2008, 03:19
The only other place (besides Chaos) with arrows on troops seems to be Space Marines. My guess is that an upward-pointed arrow indicates basic troops, and if its red it could possibly mean Penal. I doubt there is more canonical justification than "it looks cool" so you can have it mean whatever you want.

Chem-Dog
08-08-2008, 04:07
Personally, I think it's a nod to the old fashioned prison uniforms with the arrows on.
The "Broad Arrow" was a symbol of Crown ownership and indicated the wearer and the garment belonged to the Monarch.

In the olden days of 40K the penal legion had a big "1" tattooed on their foreheads (it was a life sentence, so a tat isn't going to become embarrassing later ;)), it's entirely possible that the arrow is a progression or misunderstanding of that, but I'm sticking to the Broad Arrow theory myself.

brother clavero
08-08-2008, 14:19
Sounds good Chem-Dog, I like the idea of a penal trooper being "owned for life" by the Imperial Guard(as if they were not anyway). The thought being that in the regulad guard there is at least a slim chance of being mustered out to settle on some distant world while a life sentence is just that, a life sentence. Plus, a big red arrow would deffinately make its wearer stand out among other guardsmen.

Minister
08-08-2008, 14:42
Personally, I think it's a nod to the old fashioned prison uniforms with the arrows on.
The "Broad Arrow" was a symbol of Crown ownership and indicated the wearer and the garment belonged to the Monarch.

In the olden days of 40K the penal legion had a big "1" tattooed on their foreheads (it was a life sentence, so a tat isn't going to become embarrassing later ;)), it's entirely possible that the arrow is a progression or misunderstanding of that, but I'm sticking to the Broad Arrow theory myself.

I think you may be thinking of the "Big Red One", a particular penal legion from the Segmentum Solar, rather than the penal legions in general.

I would agree with it being a nod to the old prison uniforms, though.