PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Space Marine Colors

Vharn
08-08-2008, 16:29
Hi there,

Not sure if this should be in general or in background section.

I'm planning to paint my Space Marines in the exact color scheme of pre heresy World Eaters (white/blue). I am wondering if this would upset other loyal marine chapters or the inquisition.

Can a chapter decide it's own colors when it is created?

And is it likely that there are marine chapters in the 41st millennium whose colors resemble the pre heresy traitor legions colors?

Slaaneshi Slave
08-08-2008, 16:36
There are a thousand chapters. There are only so many different colour schemes you can go through. I doubt anybody in the 41st Millenium even knows what colours the World Eaters wore, besides a few old folks stuck in Dreadnoughts.

dookie
08-08-2008, 21:09
i've always seen marine chapter colours reflect the chapter in some way. For example, Blood Angels (duh!) Imperial Fists, yellow (or gold to represent the Emperors guard) Black Templars (sigsimunds heraldry)

But World Eaters?? hmmm, wern't they all Angrons experiments?? so maybe the blue and white being some kind of sterile hospital sort of colour? wierd.

Anyways, to the points, there is a wicked painted World Eater vs Deathguard diorama on the US site for golden deamon this year, Baltimore i think.

PondaNagura
08-08-2008, 21:25
nah, i know a guy who painted each of his squads in the style of the WE, but one squad would be white/blue, the next white/green, white/brown, etc.
also unless you have the WE iconography, i doubt most imperial agents/officers (aside from the high lords, and well-learned inquisitors) would even know that WE had another color scheme.

i always thought the white/blue to be something akin to the colors of a planet from space...mostly white and blue.
plus blood shows up better on nice clean armor.

Slaaneshi Slave
08-08-2008, 21:32
They were not the World Eaters when they were given that uniform though. The Legions were fighting before their Primarchs arrived, so I doubt they were all frothing phsycopaths back then... Well, anymore than a normal Marine!

Leftenant Gashrog
08-08-2008, 21:44
They were not the World Eaters when they were given that uniform though.

Do we know for certain that the World Eaters didn't originally have another scheme? Didn't the Dusk Raiders change their uniform when they became the Death Guard? For that matter do we even know that the World Eaters changed their name when Angron was found? I don't recall the name 'World Eaters' having any particular association with Angron (unlike Death Guard, which was the name of Mortarions followers on Barbarus I believe.)

PondaNagura
08-08-2008, 22:00
well the WE probably weren't even named that until Angron, they would have just been the 12th legion.

the blood on clean armor thing i mentioned was more akin to the studio designers choice in colors, than anything in fluff.

Slaaneshi Slave
08-08-2008, 22:09
I have no idea what colour paint my ancesters were using 10,000 years ago, I see no reason why it would be any different in the future. They have had nothing to do with them since then, and all records of that era were deleted, so not even inquisitors will be able to find it out.

It is safe to say that in the year 41,999 nobody knows that the World Eaters once wore white and blue. I think there are probably only a dozen people in the galaxy who know there was even a legion called the World Eaters.

The Anarchist
08-08-2008, 22:52
just a small note the world eaters never changed their colour scheme, its jsut now so covered in gore and blood that its been permeneantly stained.

i would say some of the highest level inquisitors would have acsess to what the colour scheeme of the World eaters. but the average imperial citizen would never have heard about the world eaters, and evben if they did know nothing of the HH colour scheeme. so even if a Inquisitor did come across a chapter using old colour scheemes he wouldn't say anything is there just no reason to do so.

as a side note many chapters paint scheeme will be determined before they are formed, as their equipment will be painted by some ad-mech guy before the chapter is formed.

jsut my two cents.

Luthien
08-08-2008, 22:57
So I think its safe to assume you can paint your chapter WE colours and get comfortably away with it. :D

TheBigBadWolf
08-08-2008, 22:58
Ive always thought that the White Consuls had a look of the Pre Heresy WE paint scheme

Kinstryfe
09-08-2008, 02:00
Well, you already have the (I think) Hawk Lords in the Emperor's Children's original colour scheme (Purple with Gold trim), so I'm sure you could get away with it. Granted, the World Eaters was a little less common as far as colour distribution went (white armour with blue shouldpads and backpacks?), but with so many chapters, I'm sure it could happen. As long as the chapter markings aren't a mouth eating a planet, or crossed chain-axes or something, they'd probably slip by any suspicion.

I mean, until they start smearing their armour with the blood of their enemies and running around like psychos. (Unless they're make with Blood Angels geneseed...then it'd be expected...)

Malevon
09-08-2008, 02:22
just a small note the world eaters never changed their colour scheme, its jsut now so covered in gore and blood that its been permeneantly stained.
That's not true. First of all, their pre-Heresy uniforms had no gold/yellow on them, and also, dried blood is not bright red. Every other Legion redesigned their armour, it's logical to conclude that they did as well. Also, I'm not sure if even the most powerful Inquisitor Lords could access the information of that period; it's not just classified, it's been wiped out.

Geddonight
09-08-2008, 07:58

Man... with the new GW wash, it gives me a great idea of painting up those Beserkers from the battleforce box up in WE colors, then inking the snot out of them.

That's not true. First of all, their pre-Heresy uniforms had no gold/yellow on them, and also, dried blood is not bright red. Every other Legion redesigned their armour, it's logical to conclude that they did as well. Also, I'm not sure if even the most powerful Inquisitor Lords could access the information of that period; it's not just classified, it's been wiped out.

sure.... spoil my fun :cries:

Yeah... blood (especially in the sun) goes to this brown color, though there's still some red to it. Scab Red mixed with some dark browns usually does the trick, but it just doesn't look as sweet as blood-slicked khorne beserkers, now does it? :evilgrin:

You make a good point though about the gold (though isn't khorne more about the brass or bronze?) trim on the armor of the beserkers. It's quite probable that they've redone parts of their armor in 10k years

Shibboleth
09-08-2008, 10:00
The Praetors of Orpheus and Masters of Protelus Chapters are very close to the original World Eater scheme and seem to be doing alright.

Holy_Combat
09-08-2008, 10:24
Yeah... blood (especially in the sun) goes to this brown color, though there's still some red to it. Scab Red mixed with some dark browns usually does the trick, but it just doesn't look as sweet as blood-slicked khorne beserkers, now does it? :evilgrin:

Maybe it is still fresh blood? By the powers of Chaos and the delight of Khorne the blood may have never dried:p

Phoenix Blaze
09-08-2008, 11:08
Actually.....in the last edition rule book, there was a page with different marine chapters, and a fair few of them had colour schemes similar to pre-heresy traitor legions. Hawk Lords were one, White Consul were another, who wore white armour with green pas ala the Death Guard, but the WC also had a white torso I think, but the point is there. Wait, they may have been called the Minotaurs, I forget now.

The point is, the page was pretty much geared to show pre-heresy colour schemes on 40K era chapters.

So yes, paint em blue and white, it'll be fun, I actually considered doing it myself, by going Hawk Lords rather than Pre-heresy Emperor's Children, but I went for the more difficult, expensive and time consuming path instead.

Geddonight
09-08-2008, 22:29
Maybe it is still fresh blood? By the powers of Chaos and the delight of Khorne the blood may have never dried:p

Hrm... that'd make them pretty slippery...

Khorne Bloody Beserkers (Formerly World Eaters): Always Slippery All the Time

Wait... that sounds like slaanesh to me...:wtf:

Hey! I just figured out how I can justify that squad of beserkers with my Slaaneshi army :eek:

:D

Malevon
10-08-2008, 05:06
You make a good point though about the gold (though isn't khorne more about the brass or bronze?) trim on the armor of the beserkers. It's quite probable that they've redone parts of their armor in 10k years
Khorne supposedly is a brass enthusiast, but the World Eaters' trim is almost yellow.

Adra
10-08-2008, 11:06
Just dont use the same icon and your fine.