PDA

View Full Version : Veterans of the Long War

Mozzamanx
08-08-2008, 17:18
Ello,

I was thinking about Chaos Marines, and how they really didn't gain much by turning to Chaos. Sure, they got a pointy Bolter and traded in ATSKNF for +1 Leadership, but they didn't get any better physically. Why on earth would you damn your soul for eternity and become public enemy no.1 for that?! Plus, many of the Chaos Marines have been fightin' for 10,000 years, and they should have some benefits to go with that experience. And then there's always the whole 'blessed by the Dark Gods' thing.

And so, I came up with a very simple army-wide rule to represent all those blessings and experience.

Veterans of the Long War- All Chaos Marine units recieve +1 WS on the charge, in addition to any other benefits.

Bam, they are hitting on 3's on the charge. They don't get any tougher or any overwhelming abilities, they just get slightly more accurate and have an edge over the Loyalists. It also gives benefits for playing offensively and taking the initiative rather than standing back and shooting. I was thinking that the basic Marines should cost 17pts, to include the costs of this rule and also the free Combat weapon.

However, alot of people love their Renegade chapters rather than Legions, and so we could make this an upgrade. All Berserkers, Noise Marines, Plague Marines and Lords automatically recieve it, while it could be +2pts for the infantry.
Possibly remove the free Combat weapon for standard Chaos Marines, and make it part of the benefits of being a Veteran?

Whatcha reckon?

Emperor's Avenger
08-08-2008, 19:05
Actually quite a good idea - something to make the original Traitor Marines stand apart from those annoying renegades who stole the codex.

Burakai
11-08-2008, 06:19
I approve of this plan, and I know how much you value the approval of guys you've never heard of who have no credentials. Have you playtested it yet?