PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Mordheim Bretonnian force. Need help

Kahadras
03-11-2005, 14:55
Right I am totaly new to Mordheim but my Gaming club has decided to run a campain this year. As I already have a Bretonnian army for Warhammer the easiest option would be to port a few models across and go with that. I need advice though on my force compersition. Full equipt knights cost a bomb though and I was wondering if I should go for a small, elite band or whether numbers are a better idea. Thanks for any feedback.

Kahadras

Jim Reaper
03-11-2005, 15:40
To begin with, numbers always help in a Mordheim warband. Unless an individual warrior is *very* strong (e.g. vampire) it's difficult to skew the numbers enough to win against multiple enemies, especially with your starting profile.

I don't know much about Bretonnian warbands, but if they have a Youngblood equivalent these are very good. They are heroes that start on zero experience, so they advance extremely quickly. They're vulnerable to begin with but the fact that they're heroes help (it's much less likely that you'll die rolling on the hero injuries table than on the henchmen one).

I assume that fully tooled-up knights are heavily armoured - this is generally something to avoid in Mordheim. Since you can get a basic weapon with an additional -1 save modifier (an axe) and it's extremely difficult to get a better than 4+ save, the exorbitant cost of armour is not usually worth it. Only buy armour if you have cash to burn. Furthermore, shields are not much cop either - the extra attack for having a free hand (even if it's just a dagger) is normally much better.

Kahadras
03-11-2005, 16:14
Ta that should help to start with. In a bret force I have to take a Questing knight but other than that I think I will load up on some henchmen and maybe a couple of squires rather than any more knights (who are very expencive).

Kahadras

Sir_Turalyon
05-11-2005, 11:40
When playing Bretonnians take in mind bowmen make great cheap melee fighters - a bowman with knife and axe (2 attacks already) costs as much as human mercanary with knife, and has same stats except largely irrevelant leadership. So you can relatively cheaply fill the with warband with capable fighters so long as you ignore bows (at least for the start) and men-at-arms.

Number of models you have impacts bottle test. Number of heroes you have impacts your income. I suggest to maximalize both, and maximalize of your heroes rather then their equipment. Three knights and three squires can earn you a warhorse in future, with one fully armoured knight with single squire it will take time to get more heroes. As Jim Reaper said, the squires are important as they can advance very quickly - you have three of them, compared to other race's limit of two - use them all. Don't bother with giving thme bows unless they get very good BS by advancing - as they cannot learn shooting skills, they won't make lot of difference with these. I would not bother with any armour for heroes yet, let alone horses - you can get a fully equipped and armoured knight with 2+ save, 8 movement and 1 attack for 205 points, but that's cost of 8(!) bowmen with 16 attacks.

As you can have 12 models, your starting 500 crowns allow you to take 6 bowmen with axes and knives, 3 squires, 1 questor and 2 errrants all wiht swords and all but one with helmets. You can give up some bowmen or one errant for extra cash: it will reduce number of men you can loose before bottle test, and - if you give up bowmen - makes greater chance your casualties will be among income-generating heroes. Going down to 9 men will incerase amount of gold you get for your warpstone, greatly reduce eighter your income-generators or meatshields.

bankofmarienburghs
23-07-2006, 13:01
Go with numbers. A smaller warband may cause you to route sooner. I would suggest making up two lists and try one out.

I rewrote a bret warband with the help of others if interested email me.

bankofmarienburghs@yahoo.com

horror
09-08-2006, 13:43
To begin with, numbers always help in a Mordheim warband. Unless an individual warrior is *very* strong (e.g. vampire) it's difficult to skew the numbers enough to win against multiple enemies, especially with your starting profile.

I don't know much about Bretonnian warbands, but if they have a Youngblood equivalent these are very good. They are heroes that start on zero experience, so they advance extremely quickly. They're vulnerable to begin with but the fact that they're heroes help (it's much less likely that you'll die rolling on the hero injuries table than on the henchmen one).

I assume that fully tooled-up knights are heavily armoured - this is generally something to avoid in Mordheim. Since you can get a basic weapon with an additional -1 save modifier (an axe) and it's extremely difficult to get a better than 4+ save, the exorbitant cost of armour is not usually worth it. Only buy armour if you have cash to burn. Furthermore, shields are not much cop either - the extra attack for having a free hand (even if it's just a dagger) is normally much better.

interesting. i'm starting a new warband also (beastmen) and had noticed that armour seems a little underwhelming and expensive. do you really think that its better to ignore armour for your henchmen when you start out in favour of two hand weapons or the like (a halberd etc.)??

Darktheos
11-08-2006, 09:52
I have played a Bret force for Mord. I took 2 second via campaign point for objectives being score, but if you are play based on winning batttles I didnt do that well out of the 4 weeks we played I had to restart my warband 4 times because of my leader dying and loss 2 heroes from it because one of the special rules is you cannot have mor squires than knights. I myself take all 6 heroes you can have at the start because that is more treasure potentical. The war band i ran looked like this:

Questing Knight 80
Heavy armor 50
Sheild 5
Helmet 10
Sword 5 (they get them cheaper)
Total 150

Knight Errant 50
Light Armor 20
Sword 5
Mace 3
Total 78

Knight Errant 50
Light Armor20
2handed Weapon 15
Total 85

Squire 15
Sword 5
Total 20

Squire 15
Sword 5
Total 20

Squire 15
Sword 5
Total 20

Heros Total: 373

Henchmen
Man-at-armes x3 25each
Swords 5 each
Total 95

Hireling
Warlock 30
Staff

Warband Total: 498
That is what I ran looking back I think when Mord Starts for me next weekend Im gonna go:

Questing Knight 80
Axe 5
Sword 5 (they get them cheaper)
Light Armor 20
Total 110

Knight Errant 50
Light Armor 20
Sword 5
Mace 3
Total 78

Knight Errant 50
Light Armor20