PDA

View Full Version : Movie Marines: Revisited

The_Chaos_Seer
09-08-2008, 07:50
Hey all.

I had inspiration to make a functional Movie Marines codex. I wanted it to be more extensive and more balanced. At smaller points it's less balanced imo, but the rules are expanded to work on Apocalypse scale battles. The current list I've worked on has all Space Marine weapons converted to be more powerful then they currently are and all vanilla non-vehicle units are created. I'm hoping to get some help in making the vehicles, as well as eventually creating sub codecies for the other Space Marine chapters.

Hope you like!

Hellebore
09-08-2008, 08:14
This is to make a true movie marine army, where they can take out the bad guys hollywood style?

You don't believe a marine should be S and T 6 in reality right?

If so it looks really good. If not, then all I can say is I disagree. :D

Hellebore

The_Chaos_Seer
09-08-2008, 08:20
Haha. I based it on what I read in books, but based on the actual Movie Marines list lol. I wanted it to be functional, but for lack of a better title I used Movie Marines.

But thanks for saying it looks good!

Any ideas for working vehicles? I don't want them to be FoC units, I'm thinking maybe they should work like Super Heavies, with the only exception being Rhinos which would be transports available for units.

I'm also thinking of increasing the potential squad members of a Scout Squad from 2-4 to 2-10. That squad limit was originally put in place before I set Space Marines to be 2-10.

At the moment I set it up so battles below 3000 pts are as many as a handful of squads tying up an enemy force. 15000 pts would be the likely size of a full company, I think.

Hellebore
09-08-2008, 08:43
How about making marine vehicles immune to stunned and shaken results? Marines are too Ardcore to care when someone is shooting at them.

All weapons count as Primary Weapons (ie 4+ to ignore weapon destroyed result) and count as defensive for shooting. May shoot no matter how fast they move, each weapon targetting independently.

up the armour values:

Land Raider: F15/S15/R15
Thus only S9 and 10 will hurt them

Predators/Vindicators: F14/S14/R14

Rhinos/Razorbacks: F13/S13/R13

Hellebore

The_Chaos_Seer
09-08-2008, 08:50
I like your ideas. I do believe I will steal them. I'm thinking of adding a section on the top saying "Thanks to" and list all the peoples who've helped me build this. Being the first, I'll put your name first! lol.

The_Chaos_Seer
09-08-2008, 12:33
I've updated the list significantly... I've added all the vehicles, added bikers, fixed squad errors for several units and added or repaired some little special rules. On top of that, I wrote Codex: Movie Grey Knights! Yay!

The_Chaos_Seer
10-08-2008, 00:51
Play tested my movie marines against some Chaos Space Marines, 1K of them Vs 800 pts of Space Marines. I actually had a hard time, but it was still not properly balanced. In melee, standard tactical marines are too powerful and my sergeant was an equal match for a Chaos dreadnought. I made some major changes, reducing the pts of all units, but reducing their stats significantly... Standard marine, for example, is Ws4, S5, T5 and A3 rather than Ws5, S6, T6 and A5. This makes them worse in melee and subject to instant death from S10 attacks. The pts reduction means, though, that they can take more special weapons which is neccessary... S5 bolters still can't penetrate those nasty 3+ saves and can't do anything against a charging dreadnough... I had to make it so that one of the dreads attempted to charge a marine, while the other two circled around and unloaded their bolters on its rear armor.

It was an interesting match that ended in a draw. The same battle would see 5 marines with a plasma gun and a sergeant with a power weapon and plasma pistol. Heavier fire power, but they wouldn't be able to take the same beating, nor would they be as effective in assault.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=ecd0231391a10d3ad2db6fb9a8902bda

All files can be found at that link