PDA

View Full Version : =][= Questions

CasperTheGhost
09-08-2008, 20:44
So i've decided to finally get into Inquistor so I have a couple of questions.

I'm thinking of doing an Adeptus Arbites squad as my warband with a judge as the leader, mainly because I felt like doing a 'normal' band of humans that doesn't have any psychics or superhumans and rely purely on their wits (and their shotguns :evilgrin:)

So question times. I have the Arbites downloaded profile but I was wondering a couple of things

1) Considering that i'm only using one profile is it possible to get enough character for each squad member? I know that the background and how you play them according to this would depend but would it be a bit limiting with just one type of person

2) Is it possible for an Arbites member to have a sniper in their background as I don't want to have something too outlandish

3) Would it be ok, fluffwise, for the squad to have been seconded to the Inquistion in order to explain how they came to be on other worlds, say in a campaign?

All the questions I can think of now :)

Thanks in advance

Casper

Charax
09-08-2008, 21:27
1) You're not just using one profile. There are 20 different possible values just for WS on an Enforcer. Randomly generate the stats for each member (don't just use the average one) and you'll soon find that their personalities will develop from that - if you get a high result for Bs, for example, that person will be a better shot and is more likely to focus on ranged combat, whereas someone with a high Ws is more likely to be from a supression team - dictating their equipment to a degree.

2) Yes

3) Yes, although that makes them rather limited in the scope of Inquisitor.

precinctomega
10-08-2008, 09:14
1) Alternatively, ignore the radom profile and make up stats that you think suit the characters you have in mind. However, Charax's observations on the likely areas of variation within the team remain exant.

2) Absolutely. I've been on the Adeptus Arbites Yahoo! group for over seven years now (in fact, I'm now the owner of the group, even though I didn't found it originally) and all of us agree that sniper units in Adeptus Arbites precincts are an essential component for the effective prosecution of Imperial Justice (although we all disagree wildly on the proper composition of the sniper teams, obviously!).

3) Yes it would, however this does bring me to the most pertinent point: "themed" groups like these often seem appealing to new players (Imperial Guard veteran squads are another common theme, as well as Space Marine squads, but let's not go there...) especially as they think it'll let them use 28mm models from their favourite armies instead of going 54mm like a proper Inquisitor player*. Experience has shown that a better narrative will emerge from teams that are more diverse in background and appearance. That said, I like to use a themed Imperial Guard squad as "generic NPCs" and a squad of Arbitrators could be used in the same capacity. By and large, though, this is best saved as a project for your second or even third or fourth warrior band, rather than as your first.

R.

*Don't whinge at me. I don't care how many good reasons there are for playing at 28mm: you know in your heart that IT'S WRONG!! ;)

CasperTheGhost
10-08-2008, 10:16
*Don't whinge at me. I don't care how many good reasons there are for playing at 28mm: you know in your heart that IT'S WRONG!! ;)

Oh no I am actually going to be using 54mm. Why would anyone want it any other way :D I've played a couple of games and it looks way with fully painted proper sized models moving around the table blowing things up :evilgrin:

See I am no inclinced away fron the idea a bit as I noticed last night (I know i'm a "bit" slow) that you can't buy seperate weapon parts or the booster packs. So I might go for something more simipler so I can get used to converting them.

well i'm off to Warhammer World tomorow so i'll have a look at some of the stuff and a moan to any of the staff who will listen that they shouldn't have gotten rid of the bitz range

Casper

Catferret
10-08-2008, 12:38
Personally, I'd have one Inquisitor in there (Ordo Hereticus) with his loyal bodygaurd of Arbites. Gives them more of a reason to travelling all over the place during a campaign as well as adding a bit more variation in the models.

A sniper would work fine and make up for the lack of other long range fire (shotguns and pistols aren't very accurate ;)).

After that, an Arbite with shock maul and suppression shield would look great; and an Arbite with shotgun because it's the archetypal image. Gives you some solid short-range firepower too.

Oh, and good on you for using 54mm! :D

JWBS
11-08-2008, 12:04
I think you should have a guy toting a heavy stubber or something. People always go for snipers as their ranged threat, partially because they're cool and partially because they're less challenging from a modelling perspective. Making a heavy is more difficult but well worth the extra effort.

Askil the Undecided
22-10-2008, 18:23
So effectively you wish to make a 54mm enforcer squad. Now my first reaction is that, that has no reason to be in the battle for the emperor's soul as anthing but an Inquisitor's enormous slightly-too-well-armed-to-really-use bodyguard.

FarseerMatt
24-10-2008, 14:06
So effectively you wish to make a 54mm enforcer squad. Now my first reaction is that, that has no reason to be in the battle for the emperor's soul as anthing but an Inquisitor's enormous slightly-too-well-armed-to-really-use bodyguard.

Why could they not be battling against the forces of the Great Enemy on their own homeworld, racing to track down a chaos cult in a hive city before they enact some mass murder/demon summoning/act of terrorism/call down CSMs or a warp storm on the planet?

Inquisitors can't be everywhere at once - the Arbites are the first line of defence against heresy and corruption on any Imperial planet.

kaled
24-10-2008, 14:32
While I do think that a squad of armoured Arbites would make for a rather boring warband, there's plenty of scope for doing an Adeptus Arbites warband and making it interesting.

A quick flick through Codex Imperialis suggests a few ideas - as well as your standard carapace armoured, shotgun wielding Arbitrator, you could have a more lightly armoured marksman (maybe a member of an execution team); or what about a psi-investigator (perhaps a member of the Telepathica seconded to the Arbites)? Or maybe a detective equipped with all manner of scanners and comms gear who tracks cyber-criminals? The team could be led by a Marshall of the Court sent on some mission that might bring him into the sorts of conflicts that we see in games of Inquisitor.

- Dave

MarcoSkoll
24-10-2008, 15:05
In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with a warband of Arbites, it's certainly more interesting and likely than the squad of IG that seems to spend it's time cropping up.

I think kaled's suggestions of perhaps a warband a bit less rigid than what you might expect to see on the Necromunda table is a good one.

It is possible of course that you could work around the principle of the Inquisition Wards - their own Enforcers. Perhaps the Inquisition is sending out small teams of Wards to investigate what might on the surface appear to be small issues not requiring of an Inquisitor, where they can gain experience and training to allow them to better serve the Inquisition, but the team invariably somehow end up getting into something deeper, and then have the struggle to survive without the resources of an Inquisitor.

That could actually be quite characterful I think... and the problem is the idea is now starting to sound very appealing to me, but I shall have to control myself as I've not got my current warband finished.

Oh and as an aside:

Why could they not be battling against the forces of the Great Enemy on their own homeworld
Arbites never serve on their homeworld - they're all brought there from other planets to ensure they have no ties to the people on the planet where they work.

I know that may not have been what you meant, but it is what you said.

kaled
24-10-2008, 15:16
Perhaps the Inquisition is sending out small teams of Wards to investigate what might on the surface appear to be small issues not requiring of an Inquisitor, where they can gain experience and training to allow them to better serve the InquisitionSince reading the Dark Heresy books and Scourge the Heretic, I'm coming to the conclusion that although we see a few warbands led by acolytes, they should be a lot more common than they currently are, and could be a lot of fun to play. This could tie in quite well with a warband of Inquisitorial Wards.

MarcoSkoll
25-10-2008, 00:35
I would quite agree, and seeing such a warband would be a refreshing change.

It's sounding to me like something around that idea would make for a great future project, but that will have to wait until after my current warband has had all it's models fully made up - and have had a campaign or two of course!