PDA

View Full Version : High Lords of Terra

Paul Nexus
10-08-2008, 00:58
Right, I've had it. I keep reading about the so called 'twelve' High Lords. As far as I am aware, there are only four. The Inquisitorial Representative, the Lord Commander Militant, the Master of the Administratum and the Fabricator General. I have never heard of there ever being twelve until recently, here.

Please enlighten me.

Talos402000
10-08-2008, 04:30
Here you go.

Since the Emperor can no longer govern his empire directly, it is the claim of the High Lords that his immortal will is known to them and the Emperor rules through the High Lords of Terra. Though the Imperium is too vast to be centrally governed, the High Lords make decisions affecting the lives of trillions.

Although the sources regarding the exact composition of this council are varied, some institutions and organizations within the Imperium are so powerful that their leaders can be considered a de facto High Lord. These would include:

The Master of the Administratum
The Inquisitorial Representative
The Ecclesiarch of the Adeptus Ministorum
The Fabricator General of the Adeptus Mechanicus
The Grand Provost Marshal of the Adeptus Arbites
The Paternoval Envoy of the Navigators
The Master of the Astronomican
The Grand Master of the Officio Assassinorum
The Master of the Adeptus Astra Telepathica
The position of Inquisitorial Representative is not held by any specific Inquisitor, but the seat is retained for whichever individual is sent on behalf of the Inquisition. The Grand Master of the Grey Knights is also occasionally present. Similarly, according to Ragnar Blackmane's musings on his assignment on Terra, the place of the Paternoval Envoy is open to whoever might be the Envoy of the Paternova (the elder) of the current ruling family of Navigators. To prevent monopoly, the strongest Navigator houses usually agree to elect a Paternova from the weakest Navigator houses. If a strong house were to rise to power in the Council, that house would gain control of the Navigator's voice in the Imperium and thereby control all but the strongest Navigator families.

The total number of High Lords is said to be twelve, leaving three non-permanent openings. These offices are held by various people depending on the current political situation, and usually drawn from high-ranking Imperial officers. The position of High Lord of Terra has been held at times by the Lord Commander Militant of The Imperial Guard, Cardinals of the Holy Synod of Terra, the Abbess Sanctorum of the Adepta Sororitas, the Captain-General of the Adeptus Custodes, a representative from a Adeptus Astartes Chapter, the Chancellor of the Estate Imperium, and the Speaker for the Chartist Captains.
[edit]

Gloryseeker
10-08-2008, 10:28
Thanks Talos, excellent answer!

Adra
10-08-2008, 11:05
Would have thought the Imperial Guard would be represented, as would the Navy.

heretics bane
10-08-2008, 12:24
They are aswell but i think the commander militant fluxuates so much there never really have a permanet member IIRC or they dont like giving that much power to one man anymore since the HH.The navy has one aswell.

Minister
10-08-2008, 13:02
The one problem with Guard or Navy representatives (or indeed the Marines) is the lack of a single leader to act as High Lord. All of those who have a permanent seat (with the exception of the Inquisition, who you really can't exclude) are (or represent) an individual with no superior or equal within his organisation.

Adra
10-08-2008, 16:21
The one problem with Guard or Navy representatives (or indeed the Marines) is the lack of a single leader to act as High Lord. All of those who have a permanent seat (with the exception of the Inquisition, who you really can't exclude) are (or represent) an individual with no superior or equal within his organisation.

Sure, unless he/she is a Warmaster elected by current Lord Militants and Warmasters. Its not so much that the individual says jump to the entire Imperial Guard, but they are the voice of the Guard on the council. Each part of the imperium acts independant of others which is why it seems odd that the Navy or Guard wouldnt be represented.

icegreentea
10-08-2008, 18:59
Well, they want to keep the IG and IN fragmented, and divided in power. The whole Horus Heresy thing. Macharius was an anomaly due to his personal character as well as the time he was in (the Imperium reunited and strong). In general, the Guard would be kept fragmented and kept from having a choice in the decisions. That doesn't mean they don't have a voice though. They are part of the Administratum (through the Munitorum), and they probably have non voting representatives there as well.

biggreengribbly
10-08-2008, 22:40
And just as a point most people seem to miss, the Abbess Sanctorum of the SoB's cannot hold a position on the Council, since the post is currently vacant, has been for some time (around the 38th millenium IIRC), and is highly unlikely to be filled, since it's previous occupant dissapeared, and they cannot elect a replacement until the fate of the previous Abbess has been discovered.

Minister
11-08-2008, 08:32
And just as a point most people seem to miss, the Abbess Sanctorum of the SoB's cannot hold a position on the Council, since the post is currently vacant, has been for some time (around the 38th millenium IIRC), and is highly unlikely to be filled, since it's previous occupant dissapeared, and they cannot elect a replacement until the fate of the previous Abbess has been discovered.

The tradition lasted nearly four millennia, which would probably put it in the M40-M41 region.

biggreengribbly
11-08-2008, 12:35
I'll go dig up the WD with the reference in it when I gets home from work for the exact date, I'm pretty sure it didn't last that long into the 'present'...