PDA

View Full Version : Salamanders or Space Wolves

Heimlich
10-08-2008, 10:05
Well...here is my dilemma. I have 2 sets of the AoBR Marines, but I don't know if I should paint them as salamanders, or hold off, and see the new Space Wolf army book. I love the idea of close combat marines,but I'm not very patient, and I don't even know if the space wolves are getting their very own book.
Help me Warseer

AFoolProofPlan
10-08-2008, 10:17
Space Pups are getting a new book next year I think.
You could just start painting Grey Hunters, and Blood Claws now, since I doubt those 2 will somehow disappear from the book...

I was contemplating over these 2 chapters when I started out too. I went with Sallies, just cuz the local store I went to didn't have any SW stuff.

Pika_power
10-08-2008, 10:19
Well I don't think Space wolves use too many bolter marines, so I would do Sallys.

Adra
10-08-2008, 12:00
Space Blacksmiths against Space Poodles......tricky.

Disciple of Caliban
10-08-2008, 13:02
Space wolves are getting a new book, but the AOBR models wont work well for the space wolves for a couple of reasons:

They have tactical squad markings on their sholders. Space wolves grey hunters (the ones armed with bolters) dont use such markings.

Grey Hunters should also have a CCW which obviously the AOBR marines dont have (though you can get round this by sticking a little knive to their greave or some such).

With a little work (and a couple of the space wolves sprues) you can make the AOBR models into space wolves, but they would be much easier to use as sallies. Besides, you can use Sallies now (2 AOBR can give enough for a good pts level, especially if you find an ork player to trade with) and in a year when the new book comes up get some space wolves, win win!

HsojVvad
10-08-2008, 18:44
Don't forget in a few months, the new SM codex comes out, and you might want the Salamaners from reading the new codex since it will come before Space Wolves codex.

Since you don't have patience I say for you Salamanders.

Chem-Dog
10-08-2008, 20:11
They have tactical squad markings on their sholders. Space wolves grey hunters (the ones armed with bolters) dont use such markings.

Grey Hunters should also have a CCW which obviously the AOBR marines dont have (though you can get round this by sticking a little knive to their greave or some such).

It's plastic, you CAN shave off the Iconograpgy that you don't want ;)

CSM's and both the DA's and BA's have all got the CCW/Boltpistol/Bolter thing going on, even if the mini's don't have them it's safe to assume that new SM codexes will follow the same thinking.

Personally, I say go for the Sallies, they are one of the "Righteous" SM chapters. Also it'd be criminal to have two Multimelta dreads and NOT do a Salamander army.
Bear in mind also, the new SM codex will have a specific Sallies Character in it too. If patience isn't a virtue, that's another vote for sallies..... I would invest in some green paint if I were you ;)

redrum
10-08-2008, 23:05
I've always been a big fan of the Space Wolves. I may have to restart them when their new book comes out. I'm not sure if the models in the set will work for them though.

Leman Russ
11-08-2008, 01:20
I feel it is in the best interest of The Most Holy Emperor that you start a Space Wolf Army right now :)

Lionsbane
11-08-2008, 01:56
CSM's and both the DA's and BA's have all got the CCW/Boltpistol/Bolter thing going on, even if the mini's don't have them it's safe to assume that new SM codexes will follow the same thinking.

Actually BA and DA have Bolter and Bolt Pistol, no CCW. Only CSM have the CCW also. Grey Hunters will get the CCW though.

The Black Reach Marines could be made into Grey Hunters quite easily. Shave that Tactical symbol off as others have said, add a CCW (knives are easiest given their poses and armament). And if you can get a SW sprue add a few wolfie bits for flavor.

However I suggest reading the background for both armies and going with the one that jives the best.

talos935
11-08-2008, 02:02
The scary thing is there is such a thing as too much of a good things and I say Space Wolves. Yes the Salamanders mad one is telling somebody to collect Space Wolves, so he can keep them all to himself :D

HsojVvad
11-08-2008, 02:15
I would invest in some green paint if I were you ;)

HEHE get some Dark Angels Green paint LOL. Now you can be a DA brother!

And the codex is already out hehe

Chem-Dog
11-08-2008, 02:21
Actually BA and DA have Bolter and Bolt Pistol, no CCW. Only CSM have the CCW also. Grey Hunters will get the CCW though.

Yeah, a hasty edit error on my part, should have read " Bolt Pistol, Bolter/Combi weapon".

HEHE get some Dark Angels Green paint LOL. Now you can be a DA brother!

And the codex is already out hehe

Yuck. :p

Sigurd
11-08-2008, 06:59
I'm sorry to jump in your post like this, but are the Black Reach Marine models like normal SM models or more like Battle for Macragge models?

EldarBishop
11-08-2008, 10:09
My understanding is that they are the snap together type ones (though I've not seen them).

Heimlich
11-08-2008, 10:10
They are more like the Battle for Macragge ones, but are at a proper scale, and actually look nice.

ChaosBeast
11-08-2008, 10:16
if you dont have much patience get Sallies but its almost worth getting SW for the Logan Grimnar model alone. one of the best models GW ever produced.

Heimlich
11-08-2008, 10:35
At first the Ragnar Blackmane model came to mind, and I shuddered. But then my senses kicked in and I realized he was the one in terminator armor. I agree he is a good model, but hardly a basis for an army. As I prefer to use green stuff to give my armies a unique feel.

Waywatcher-
11-08-2008, 14:18
Personally, I would go with sallys, but thats just me.

No reason apart from i like the fluff and the fury of the sally physic power. I think the idea of a giant flaming lizard killing things on the battle feild.

Waywatcher

HsojVvad
11-08-2008, 16:10
Just remember what ever you decide, some chapters or all chapter will change when the new SM codex comes out, so it might be wise to be patient to wait at least for the new SM codex

Dribble Joy
11-08-2008, 16:22
This Sally player also says puppies. I get the feeling 'Salamanders' will be all to common with the new codex.

Sallies are fun though, and can be somewhat difficult to use and if you're doing things properly, nothing can shoot over 24" and that's mostly from units that have to be stationary. Close range shooting can be horribly risky.