PDA

View Full Version : Quality of the latest army books

Lord Khabal
11-08-2008, 13:20
Hey all!

Just wondering if the same happened to you.
My VC and Daemons army books (the latest I've bought) seem to have an inferior quality to the other army books, because some of the middle pages and end pages seem to go "out" just from normal use (normal use = READING, I did not started kicking the books screaming BROKEN and tossing them around, because I actually don't think they are broken). I have lots of older army lists and this has never happened to me before.
Am I just unlucky or is this has happened to you guys too?

PS: Hope it doesn't happens to my DE book...

O&G'sRule
11-08-2008, 13:22
mine are all fine

Urgat
11-08-2008, 14:04
Mine are fine too, but, granted, my VC book has not seen much action.

Dark_Mage99
11-08-2008, 14:16
My High Elf and my brothers Daemons book are falling apart. My Vamps one looks like it could well be shortly...

Lijacote
11-08-2008, 14:17
I'll take this as an early warning and cover my army book with something then, thanks and so on.

isidril93
11-08-2008, 14:18
it happened to me with my elven collectors guide and is starting to happen with my high elf book.

Hulkster
11-08-2008, 14:26
Not had a problem with any of mine TBH

Valtiel
11-08-2008, 14:29
My Daemons of Chaos books seems more soft, and the binding doesn't seem as stabile as older books. No pages have fallen out though. It is a shame they cut down on the quality though. :/

Rosicrucian
11-08-2008, 14:47
My books seem fine, but I did notice that they are now "Printed in China" rather than "Printed in UK."

Chiron
11-08-2008, 15:22
Well the contents a bit iffy but my Vampire book seems ok...

Purefear
11-08-2008, 16:29
Half my Vamp book is stickytaped together, the pages and binding have definatly decreased in quality.

SaleanDominus
11-08-2008, 16:36
Both my high elf and dark elf army books are falling apart, both of them began to fall apart almost instantly. Sadly, the hated daemon book is still fine and so is my vampire counts book.

Quetzl
11-08-2008, 16:48
Oo This is worrying... For a 12 book :/

Tell you this though, I've never expierenced books falling apart, I've had my Dwarf book and Lizardmen books for years and although they've been in stasis when I broke em' out recently they seemed perfectly fine.

Just a thought but how do you guys read em' I used to find that some peeps would really have there books pushed out to 180 Degrees i.e. both pages flat to the table with the spine squashed out and spayed. I used to find that the guys who did this books were in really bad condition. I myself only open them in my hand so I'd say a max of 90 Degrees, this has kept the spines in tip top notch.

Dunno may be totally random idea, but I usually keep my books as unbent as possible as I've always thought the spines were weak buggers. BUT for 12 you would expect the books to be as rigid and as enduring as hell, it is a wargame after all and they're gonna get battered and dare I say it, USED.

caeanan
11-08-2008, 18:06
My HE book did that not even a month after I got it. I called them and they sent me a new one. It hasn't started falling apart yet.

40kdhs
11-08-2008, 19:18
My High Elf and my brothers Daemons book are falling apart. My Vamps one looks like it could well be shortly...

It also happens to my HE book and 'mini' rule book too even though i only use it for 2 months.

Hvidponi
11-08-2008, 19:24
My HE book is falling apart, and I have looked at it around 10 times...

The Underdog
11-08-2008, 19:30
My books are all fine but a friend who plays HE has had his army book start loosing pages - sounds like there may be a definite issue with weakness.

Chain
11-08-2008, 21:44
My 4'th ed Chaos book has problems with the glue.
Granted it has been in the sun a couple of times, it has been read while I was on my back and it has been my most ruffly treated book(+ the Warhammer magic book that broke in the side)
yet these books I bought when I was like 10-12 years old

Horus38
11-08-2008, 22:03
Never had any problems with my army books. My LM book from 5th edition is still in good condition. On another note: .pdf pages don't fall out ;)

My white dwarfs are another story, I've had more then a few with loose bindings, pages about ready to fall out, etc.

Mireadur
11-08-2008, 22:05
It's strange guys, i happen to have the english version of hte HE book and it certainly is printed in China (its in good condition so far though) but the Spanish version of the rest of the books i own are printed in the UK. Newest DE book spanish version for example.

Malorian
11-08-2008, 22:07
I read my army books a lot and they are all in good condition...

sulla
11-08-2008, 22:39
Am I just unlucky or is this has happened to you guys too?

PS: Hope it doesn't happens to my DE book...

My High elves and my friend's VC book have shonky binding. Daemons and DE don't seem too bad. But this is not a new thing with GW. My 3rd ed 4oK book and quite a few Black library things have fallen apart on me (and my books are all well looked after). They just have average binding quality. Some are good, a few are poor.

Crazy Harborc
12-08-2008, 00:07
"Most" of my old codexes and armybooks did not come apart....most of them. My 6th Edition WHFB rulebook did. A $35(USD) GW catalogue came apart the first time I opend it:mad:....GW, high tech quality.:rolleyes:

Kronos
12-08-2008, 00:36
happened with my tyranid codex, I'm not a savage but the middle pages began to come off just on the second time i was reading it, i thought it was the heat (34 degrees), and i bloody hope it doesn't happen to my new vc book. I just hate haing the smallest tear on a book and pages coming out is just unacceptable for me. And yes the older books are much better to wear and tear, god know my old Hoc has met some tough times, and yet there it is, big strong and about to be outdated :p

Duke Georgal
12-08-2008, 01:27
My VC book is OK, but my HE book is falling apart, and with VERY LITTLE use!

I am disapointed to say the least.

Crazy Harborc
12-08-2008, 01:42
Apparently GW uses the lowest bidder's version of glue and book binding techniques. Top quality products, high street prices a discount store's results.:confused:

Ward.
12-08-2008, 06:09
My ogre kingdoms book started doing this, no Idea why. Always thought it might have something to do with the way it was stored at the shop.

Fobster
12-08-2008, 07:36
The local GW's store copy of the VC book is falling apart but all the other ones are in good nic.

Boss Zagstruk
12-08-2008, 12:22
My high elf rule book feel apart and thats my pride and joy.

Kloud13
06-03-2009, 08:59
All the New Books are falling Apart. My 4th Edition Marine Book, I beat the Ever living crap out of. I would haul it out to work, and Throw it in and out of the Rigs I drove, and it is still holding together fine. My HE Book, and My 5th Edition Space Marine Books are loosing pages, and they have had a pretty easy life compared to their Previous edition counterparts. And anybody I've seen at my game club with the new Vamp Book, or DE Book all have Pages falling out. We will see with the lizzies in a few weeks. Absolutly Ridiculous.

Someone mentioned that GW Replaced an Army book because of that???? hmmm I should Call Direct Services and See if they will Replace mine too.

Aurellis
06-03-2009, 09:05
Me and my brother have nearly all the books between us and none are in bad condition. I hear there were problems with the glue on spines for some of the batches. I'd hate to pay 15 for a book and have it fall apart. You should take them back, it's within your consumer rights in the UK.

The Red Scourge
06-03-2009, 09:14
My friends high elves are always falling apart – he's on his fourth now, and I hope they're getting the message by now, as there can't be any money in exchanging his time and time again.

The new VC isn't much better.

But my WoC has no problems – neither does my Wood Elves, and it is used a lot more.

forthegloryofkazadekrund
06-03-2009, 11:28
My Orc and Goblin one and Dwarf ones are fine and dandy but a friends Space Marine one is not looking good - at this rate hes going to have to put each page in a plastic folder

SimpleSquid
06-03-2009, 13:41
My Daemons book is starting to look a bit loser on the back couple of pages, but nothing really fallen out.

The real problem I have with the newer books is the plastic covering on the front and back peeling away from the covers, all the newer books I've got seem to start to do this after a few reads. Anyone else have this, or have I just got sweaty hands? :)

fastcarfreak
06-03-2009, 13:45
My new warriors of chaos book started to fall apart just a week after purchase... Thats my most up to date book. All my other books are from 6th and are in tip top

Arguleon-veq
06-03-2009, 13:47
All the latest army books are falling apart for me, I have books from a few editions back that are still in perfect condition and have seen WAY more use but since High Elves, all my army books have started dropping pages;

High Elf Book - Pages falling out
Vamps Book - Pages falling out
Daemons Book - Pages falling out
Warriors Book - Pages fallling out

!!

I think the only reason my Lizards one hasnt yet is because it has hardly been used. Its very annoying when you pay 15 and they fall apart like that. My Dwarf, Empire, Brettonia, Wood Elves etc are all fine despire more use. My Tomb Kings book actually got chewed on a bit by my dog when we first got him as a puppy and that hasnt even fallen apart.

So its just the latest ones for me, same with my friends, which would suggest the quality has dropped in the binding.

Cry of the Wind
06-03-2009, 14:59
My Lizardmen and Daemon books are fine but my High Elf book started to fall apart within two weeks of purchase. My 5th and 6th Ed Lizardmen book are still in one piece but the same cannot be said for my 5th Ed Skaven book. That one fell apart fairly quickly as well.

Matt1982
06-03-2009, 15:04
I've not encountered pages falling out of any of mine, that includes from this edition alone; Empire, Warriors, Daemons & Dark Elves, plus many many others from past generations. Hopefully they stay that way too given the current price of the things!

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
06-03-2009, 15:10
Every time I see one of these threads, I have to wonder what the heck these people are doing with their books. I image many people try to flatten out the pages so that it will sit nicely on a table, in the process destroying the binding. What other books can you do that with that are not spiral bound? None, if you want them to stay in one piece. Honestly, stop using your rulebooks to bludgeon small children to death and they will last you quite a bit longer.

danny-d-b
06-03-2009, 15:12
most of the books I come accros are fine- last edion spacemarine front page slightly loes and the back page of my empire book (curent edition) has been 'folded' wrong so that its on an angle and your missing the bottom corner, but its not a big problem, which is why GW won't replace it (e.g. its fine at the top then cuts in to about an inch out at the bottom)

An I have a mate who's current skaven book fell apart in a month- though he did have it in his bag full of heavy collage books for 2 weeks

Mooglemen
06-03-2009, 15:52
My new DE book lost pages within a month. I didn't excessively bend it or abuse it in any way. The part that really gets me is that the pages in question were the army selection pages with core and special units on it. I would have tolerated this if it had been anywhere else in the book, but it had to happen to one of the low percentage of actually useful pages in the book!

slingersam
06-03-2009, 16:18
All my books are fine. I did have 1 problem with a 40k tau
book but that was it. The best thing to do is put it in you hand
and let it open on it self. i've had the 4th edition SM codex, ork
Codex (recent). Lizardmen (recent). I've had no problems. Some
one mentioned that the plastic cover is coming loose, I'm haveing
that same problem but its right on the edge so its no problem
for me.

Sly Rax
06-03-2009, 16:25
The pages in my WoC book started to fall out after a week!
I did go through it alot but for 12 :wtf:

But i have got army books from the 4th eddition that are fine:confused:

Crazy Harborc
06-03-2009, 23:39
GW buys the cheapest version of binding, of armybook assembly that is out there. I am often surprised that WD magazines held up as well as they used to(still do?).

I have and still do read and look through the pages of several different publications that are styled like GW's armybooks/codex's. Thicker magazines that those armybooks from GW....that DO NOT fall apart the first time you go though the pages.

Heck, 7th Edition WHFB, the little version in the starter box, started loosing pages the first time I opened it.:confused:

I was unwilling to spend the big bucks for a 7th Edition hard covered version because of years of self destructing codexes, armybooks, rulebooks etc.

Cartoon
07-03-2009, 02:03
My WOC book has already lost a couple pages. The binding, in my book at least, is garbage.

Kerill
07-03-2009, 02:22
After getting them done in China the quality of binding went down fast IMO, even more so when compared to my 4th/5th edition books which are rock solid quality.

lachlanwizard
07-03-2009, 02:22
my dark elf book is pretty close to falling apart but my brets book is still excellent.