PDA

View Full Version : Custodian

Hortwerth
03-11-2005, 22:35
Hi there!

I made a Custodian test model for a client recently and I'd like to share it with you.

Possibly I'll be doing an army of these - that is, if the client likes him. If not, I'll eBay him... :( :D

Here he is:

http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/615/custodessamplemix2aw.jpg

What do you guys and gals think?

malika
03-11-2005, 22:48
hooooooooooly crap! that model is amazing!

Makaber
03-11-2005, 22:51
Pretty sweet! Not that anyone in the Imperium of Man would care, but mounting a firearm at the tip of a polearm strikes me as a fundamentally bad idea.

HPD_Andy
03-11-2005, 23:33
Pretty sweet! Not that anyone in the Imperium of Man would care, but mounting a firearm at the tip of a polearm strikes me as a fundamentally bad idea.

Its the old school style of nemisis force weapons. Sweet model!

Hortwerth
03-11-2005, 23:48
Honestly, with Custodians I hang my reason on a hook high above my head.

Why would anyone want to play an army that haven't fought for 10000 years with anything but red tape?

The very look of them though, is something totally different.

Their artwork strike my imagination every time I look at it.

They're just to sweet to care about technical issues for me :D

Deadleyheadley
03-11-2005, 23:49
now thats so nice ,ive seen your work before on ebay the blacktempler stuff was so sweet

Hortwerth
03-11-2005, 23:54
Black Termplar?

The last Black Templar I've made was the Emp. Champion killing Ork diorama from the Codex Armageddon BT artwork, and it was done for a client in July, so no eBay here.

There are no less than 15 painters in Micro Art Studio, so if you're identifying the work by the logo you may be mistaken.

However, I've heard that my style is rather noticeable...

Heero-Severus
04-11-2005, 00:44
Ive been a long time fan of your work, and this is another fine piece to add to your collection, great work. Do you have any pics of the model pre-painted, so we can see the GS and conversion work, that would be really interesting.

My only (and i dont even feel worthy to comment) pick up on this model is the base. The trim edge isnt very even, and on any of us lesser mortals models would be excusable, but your apparent attention to detail, and strong crisp style lends toward an oversight on this area.

Top work!

Out of interest how much is the model worth (to your client) and how much would an army be? feel free to pm me.

EDIT : and please please join the The WarSeer Painting and Support Group Battle Barge Contribution here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15076)

Yodhrin
04-11-2005, 00:53
Very nice. I would be singing your praises, but I really dislike NMM, it just seems too gaudy, but that's personal tastes and, on a technical level, the paintjob is superb.

ExoCowboy
04-11-2005, 05:47
I think the pose is a bit.... weird maybe? There is something unnatural (if there can be something unnatural about 2,5 meter tall supermen) about it, but what the heck, the model and painting is so sweet! Great job. If the client doesnt like the model, he must be crazy.

m1s1n
04-11-2005, 06:12
Looks amazing.
However, since I only play Fantasy I was expecting a mop.

Hortwerth
04-11-2005, 07:23
Looks amazing.
However, since I only play Fantasy I was expecting a mop.

A "mop"?

Like the thing used to clean the floor?

Since I only play 40k, I don't know what "custodian" may mean in WFB.

Son of Morkai
04-11-2005, 07:41
Historical examples exist. I can't find any online easily, but I have a book that goes into detail about combined weapons, and even has a few pictures. Polearm/guns were apparently quite popular, back in the day.

Rabid Bunny 666
04-11-2005, 08:46
:eek:

sweet dude! he should buy an army of these, that is totally awesome!

Reinnon
04-11-2005, 10:01
what did you convert it out of....as i've seen a pose simular in several SM armies

but, you are a God at painting, that gold is fantastic

Makaber
04-11-2005, 11:58
Hey, I love the gun-on-a-stick! It looks awesome. It's just silly, that's all.

Binabik15
04-11-2005, 12:19
Now thats pure beauty.

Would you mind me creating a clone of your genes and the genes of Dave Taylor mixed together?
This little fellow would most likley produce an army of that quality every month, because Mr Taylor is damned quick with his awesome conversions and you always re-define the true meaning of "awesome" :D

And for the "gun mounted on polearm" problem, already thought about it being a polearm mounted on a gun? Iīve seen blackpowder guns with polearm blades instead of the bayonets more recent rifles used.

And Iīve seen pistols with axe blades! Those things are teh ubR 1337!!1!11one!1eleven! Those things were used by knights shortly before they started to change into mounted riflemen. They could fire a single bullet at close range and were afterwards used to smack the living snotling out of everyone if the rider had not enough room or spare time to draw his sword. With their high weight and the relatively small axehead those things could easily punch trough armour and helmets.
Granted, those things were normally bent after the first charge or even broken and if you always bend and re-bend a firearm itīs not really accurate after a short time.
And those things were also extremely expensive: I think the original owner of the two pistols Iīve seen paid 12 gold crones (sp?) for one and thatīs more than a quiet rich peasant could earn in a year.

But would you say no to an axe that could both chop and shoot the other bastard out of the saddle?

I would at least buy a few dozen:evilgrin:

Family trips can be highly interesting, especialy if you live in a region where every 5 or at most 10 km a castle throwns over the forrests.

old guard
04-11-2005, 13:40
Hell yeah!
Much better paint job than the custodians Dave Taylor produced for his custodians. You have an exceptionally fine style. Lets have some more of those.

LooseMoose
04-11-2005, 14:05
How can the customer not like that? Although how much is an army to that standard going to cost him/her/it in total? :eek:

x-esiv-4c
04-11-2005, 14:21
Oh that is some killer work. Well done!

buffedbug
04-11-2005, 15:44
great work! to me the pose is good and the paint job just sets it off

New Cult King
04-11-2005, 16:09
Sweet mother of Russ, that's amazing. A whole army of these? Cripes, you'll be at it for years!

Luke
04-11-2005, 16:32
hmm, very nice work, and the nmm is great ( i mean it looks like nmm, i may be wrong :D)

evil
04-11-2005, 18:08
Oh sod off Hortwerth,
that is smegging incredible,
How much is this comission earning you?
Whatever it is, it ain't enough

immortal99
04-11-2005, 18:49
that looks incredible! if only i could model that well :(

static-breed
04-11-2005, 18:52
Wow...that is freaking amazing. I love his stocky, copact, but deadly look. I don't like the elegance of most custodes models. I believe they should look more like human tanks with big spears and guns and you've mastered this perfectly. :D

Pillx
04-11-2005, 19:56
ExoCowboy: I didn't really notice until you mentioned it but I think the fig may be leaning a bit off from center. I think a lot of models don't stand up too well if you stare at it too long and too hard though. This one stands up pretty well for the most part IMHO.

Hortworth: Looks great. I like the twin lions on the shoulderpad -did you sculpt that? O_O

Norminator
04-11-2005, 20:05
Hortworth, go away, you make me feel depressed about the sheer inadiquity of my painting :(

That is fething awesome! I can quite honestly say that is one of the best painted minis I have ever had the pleasure of seeing.

A whole army - do you want to increase the rate of heart attacks worldwide! How much are you selling it for, as I believe the Queen would buy that if she collected Warhammer (unlikely maybe...)

Did you sculpt it all, or does it use other components - if so, what are they?

TheSonOfAbbadon
04-11-2005, 20:29
Well, despite the awesomeness of the model, I think the model should be more actual shiny gold, not yellow. It should have more symbols and extravagent stuff like the Grey Knights, the blade should be bigger, the pole should be shorter and the gun should be bigger [maybe a storm bolter]. And the body's too wide so it looks more out of proportion than normal marine, and the hands are in a strange position, as though he was trying to hold it in one hand and then it dropped down on one side and he grabbed it to prevent it hitting the floor instead of a preparing to gore someone stance.

Norminator
04-11-2005, 20:51
Well, despite the awesomeness of the model, I think the model should be more actual shiny gold, not yellow. It should have more symbols and extravagent stuff like the Grey Knights, the blade should be bigger, the pole should be shorter and the gun should be bigger [maybe a storm bolter]. And the body's too wide so it looks more out of proportion than normal marine, and the hands are in a strange position, as though he was trying to hold it in one hand and then it dropped down on one side and he grabbed it to prevent it hitting the floor instead of a preparing to gore someone stance.

Trust someone to spoil it all :p

I think it looks fine without all the stuff mentioned above :D

Heero-Severus
05-11-2005, 02:31

Plenty of "Should"s in there, are you the authority on all things custodians? or are you actually saying "if this were my model i would"

Are custodians in proportion to normal marines? is there an normal marine set of proportions? To me it feels like he is in a very balanced stance, elbows out as wide as knees, standing on un-even ground but keeping his pole arm straight and true, lining up for a headshot.

Its important to remember custodians were very ceremonial, so there weapons will be more unusual in sizes and proportions to give them a more unique feel. I like this one, while personally i would have maybe given him a ********** great axe blade on there and a Storm Bolter, it would of just made the weapon unweildy and with poor balance, further to that it would look like some poor cast off from Final Fantasy.

-Ed
05-11-2005, 22:45
Plenty of "Should"s in there, are you the authority on all things custodians? or are you actually saying "if this were my model i would"

Plenty of "I think" in there as well, maybe you should try it sometime.

Hortwerth
06-11-2005, 00:09
Thanks for all your opinions, both good and not so good.

After all I'm sharing it with you to learn, not to hear praises (although that's always nice ;)!)

It uses normal Marine parts, with the swirls and extra detail sculpted with greenstuff. The helmet is an effect of combining an old Eldar Guardian helmet top and Dark Elf helmet face.

The cloak folds are sculpted with Magic Sculp, gotta love this stuff! Sculpting fabric and organic shapes have never been easier.

The client liked the result and liked the price, so I will give an army of these a go!

Possibly I'll use this thread or some other to keep you in touch with the progress, it'll be quite slow though. No more than one unit per month and I won't rather start them before December.

He wants the Emperor to lead them, so watch this space.