PDA

View Full Version : High elves new player

DasKhorne
12-08-2008, 09:09
hi, im a new high elf player and i need help with high elves coz they have too much choice in troops

i do like dragons and lion gurd and chariots

any help would be appreciated

13-08-2008, 03:41
hi, im a new high elf player and i need help with high elves coz they have too much choice in troops

i do like dragons and lion gurd and chariots

any help would be appreciated

I understand where you're coming from, dragons are cool but tricky to use effectively with the entire force. You might hold off on that one for now.

There are many ways to go but build yourself a good core and expand around it.

Some suggestions:

Seaguard are good in blocks of 15 with a musician only. Deploy with 10 in the front rank for early game shooting then add a rank for a spear block.

White Lions are an excellent choice. 14 with full command is an effective unit. Add Lion Standard or Banner of Sorcery if you have the points.

Use them in tandem with the Seaguard

Lion Chariots are tough but expensive, points-wise. I believe it's best to field two or none. One will just be a magnet for shooting and magic. They're only T4. If you're tight on points, 2 Tiranoc chariots are good.Use them in pairs but DON'T deploy them side by side. Too easy for one eagle or terradon to march block them both. They don't get noticed as much as the lion version and are good for anti-chariot work.

2 RBT's and 2 Eagles are almost obligatory. Use those inexpensive eagles to march block and redirect what you want to keep out of combat.

I currently field NO cavalry. Under the previous edition my list was almost all cavalry. Dragon Princes are badass but if there's nothing else that moves at their speed they can't win combats alone. Maybe if partnered with the chariots. Mine have been on the shelf in this edition.

Hero combinations are a matter of taste. I'm in transition with what I'm using. Until last month I've always fielded an Archmage and lvl2 Mage. I've kicked down to 2 lvl 2's and now field 2 combat characters - one a Prince on foot with GW and the other a mounted BSB with Reaver Bow. They're there to add punch to my two hitty units - 14 White Lions and 14 Swordmasters.

That's enough for now unless you have specific questions.

Have fun!

Dragon Prince of Caledor
14-08-2008, 04:08
dragon mage is great but must be used finessely. As with the lion chariot. White lions with the banner that makes them immune to psych and the gem of courage on the champion makes for an unbreakable unitatleast one turn a game.. They can also take missiles and hit very very hard! Phoenix guard are great for surviving and causing fear. With korhil it makes for a hard to shift and defeat unit. I put the banner of sorcery in the pg unit. Combined with a level four caster and either a level 2 or a dragon mage with the silver wand makes for a dominating magic phase. Dragon princes are lovely. I usually take five with a bsb. Sometimes he uses the battle banner. Bolt throwers are nice for thinning out ranks ortaking out big monsters. I am short on time so that is all for now. Swordmasters are dirty but they are extremely fragile! Keep them out of fire and unleash them against your meanest enemies. Although they might actually lose to black guard if they strike first.

t-o-l-o
14-08-2008, 04:20
Giving us a list of what troops you have already could help us come up with a better 'starter' army and help point you in the direction you may want to go.

ex_idol
14-08-2008, 05:18
TBH, there is a lot you can do with the current high elves, i agree that elite troops are prob the best way to go, found dragon princes are great counter-charge flankers in larger games, love lion chariots, at first it was just the beards, then i saw them in game and it was love lol, i use in same way as dragon princes, hold back, but i have mostly used them against undead who have to come to me, RBT are essential i feel, especially starter players til you get feet on ground cuz they are so reliable

but say what play style you are going for and advice will be easier :)

isidril93
14-08-2008, 09:46
i would go with an infantry heavy army. with spearmen as core, white lions as elites, chariot for speed and flankers, eagles for warmachine and scout hunting and bolt throwers for a bit of ranged. i find cc armies are the funnest to play with. ypu might want to get the dragon after you have got your 2k army and have learned how to use the basics of a hig elf army.

DasKhorne
15-08-2008, 09:37
hi thnx 4 da feedback

i dnt have any models at da moment, but the codex i do have:skull:

i like the idea of the seaguard, but im also into chariots(i have a fetish)

a unit that tanks it out would be nice and finds it hard to run away too, so it stays thre

Conotor
16-08-2008, 00:47
a unit that tanks it out would be nice and finds it hard to run away too, so it stays thre

Saunds like Pheonix guard.

t-o-l-o
16-08-2008, 05:24
Saunds like Pheonix guard.

Absolutely, the PG are a great unit a 15 man unit can take on nearly any thrown at it in combat and when you add in caradryan things can get really interesting.