PDA

View Full Version : Info Needed On "We pray for those lost in the warp"

Yodhrin
12-08-2008, 13:02
I can't seem to find this prayer/poem anywhere among my collection of books, or online. Does anyone know it in it's entirety, or at least however much is available?

x-esiv-4c
12-08-2008, 13:09
Is this the one from the Uplifting Primer?

Yodhrin
12-08-2008, 14:14
It's been used repeatedly in every facet of the background, especially the novels, but it's usually only that first line which appears. It's called "Lament for Lost Souls" or something along those lines.

I'll see if I can find my Primer, thanks for the tip.

Minister
12-08-2008, 14:44
Off the top of my head, to see if it's the right one:

We pray for souls
Adrift in the tides
May those who are lost find peace
And all of our fathers, and all of our brothers
We pray for souls
Adrift in the tides

Would that be the one?

EDIT:

"We pray for souls
adrift in the tide,
May those who are lost find peace,
All our fathers
and all our brothers,
We pray for souls
adrift on the tide."
-Ave navigatus
-Litany of Lost Souls

Yodhrin
12-08-2008, 15:16
Thanks minister, I must have misremembered the quote, or remembered it from an innacturate source.

As an aside, the prayers in the primer are great, as is the Discipline Infractions list. "Will be shot, Will be shot, shot, shot" heheh.

Sikkukkut
12-08-2008, 15:32
I've always thought "we pray for souls adrift on the tide" is one of the more evocative lines from the background.

Adra
12-08-2008, 16:55
Yes much of the litanies are a bit dull but that one is very emotive. No fate worse than to be lost to the warp...

MvS
13-08-2008, 10:36
That, to me, is good 'fluff' writing - or theme setting.

It shows a more everyday and complex spirituality and religiosity of the Imperium. If you look at any religious culture in the world today, they are replete with these sorts of prayers and concepts.

All too often 40K writers just slap down some 'Mighty Emperor With Cannons Firing and Bang, Smash, Fiery Damnation, HERETIC, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah'. Certainly there is an important a place for the more 2D zealot population with a Smiting Emperor-God of Intolerance and Great Burning-ness, but then again although war is endemic within the 40K setting, people still have other interactions, fears, hopes and beliefs beyond the Emperor wanting them to crush all comers, and them wanting the Emperor to Smite people.

The Pray For Souls Lost in the Warp" prayer reminds of the hymn "For Those in Peril on the Sea" by Rev. William Whiting (1860), written after the Reverend survived a fierce storm at sea. It became the official hymn of the US Naval Academy where the first verse closes every service.

I've included my own version of this hymn, changing it so that it becomes more 40K. Just take the references the the "sea" to mean "Sea of Souls" and you have a a perfectly characteful 40K hymn for the Imperial Navy and for Rogue Traders.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Eternal Emperor, strong to save,
Whose arm hath bound th'infernal wave.
Who bid'st the Immaterium deep
To its own appointed limits keep.

Oh hear us when we pray to Thee
For those who peril in the Sea.

Imperator, the Vortex heard
And hushed its raging at Thy word!
Thou swam within its angry Deep
And calm amidst its rage didst sleep.

Sovereign Master, who didst brood
Upon vile Chaos, dark and rude,
And bid its angry tumult cease
And bring, from wild confusion, peace.

With Thy Sons of Grace and Power,
Thy people shield in danger's hour
From daemon, tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go.

Thus evermore shall rise to Thee
Glad hymns of praise from Earth and Sea."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You might be amused to learn that the mention of Chaos is indeed in the original hymn, although I capitalised the "C". :)