PDA

View Full Version : Would Assault Space Marines in the 1st Company have the terminator honors pads?

Godswildcard
12-08-2008, 16:13
Ok, well, the title is my question. Would:
1) the Ultramarines 1st company maintain assault marines (new vanguard perhaps-aren't they assault veterans?)
2) if they do, would said marines wear the terminator honors shoulder pad or the assault shoulder pads?

Privaron
12-08-2008, 16:21
Terminator crux on 1 shoulder, other shoulder has the assault marine mark.
Or Terminator Crux and Chapter Symbol.

Minister
13-08-2008, 20:59
Chapter iconography on the left, the crux design on the right. As per other 1st company squads in power armour.

Eulenspiegel
14-08-2008, 07:40
Ok, well, the title is my question. Would:
1) the Ultramarines 1st company maintain assault marines (new vanguard perhaps-aren't they assault veterans?)
2) if they do, would said marines wear the terminator honors shoulder pad or the assault shoulder pads?

1.) I think not. Previous fluff has 1st Company deploy either as Terminator squads or in Powerarmour with a lot of weapon options but no Jump Packs. So, unless itīs an official retcon, I guess strict Codex Astartes chapters donīt equip Veterans with Jump Packs.

The Vanguard squad may be in the new Codex for those chapters that are a little more unorthodox, like the Raven Guard.

2.) In those chapters I think it entirely possible that they wore their Crux Terminatus on their shoulder pad instead of the "Assault" designation.

Minister
14-08-2008, 14:50
given the example paint schemes, it seems that the Codex first company units are designated as Veteran Squads regardless of weapons fit, and will be given equipment according to the individuals' skills and the requirements of the mission. While they haven't been in any of the other codexes, there seems no particular reason not to use them.

heinrichvoncarstein
14-08-2008, 18:40
Eulenspiegel: aren't you forgetting something.... the new vanguard vets IN JUMP PACKS are painted as ULTRAMARINES, which means that it's NOT restricted to unorthodox chapters...

Eulenspiegel
14-08-2008, 18:44
Uh oh, have forgotten how they were painted ;)
Seems like a retcon is coming, then.

Faustburg
14-08-2008, 19:18
Well, since the Codex chapter veterans already choose between sword and pistol, or a bolter when fighting in Power Armour, it's not a big step to allow them to use Jump Packs and such for occasional missions.

The way Blood Angels and their successor chapters diverge from the Codex Astartes is by having Jump Pack equipped marines as a permanent formation.