PDA

View Full Version : The joy of making old units do new things

arxhon
23-04-2005, 21:23
Gonna dust off my old, barely painted Tzeentch army for a game in the near future, and i'm looking at my models, and i'm thinking about my buddy bragging about his warhounds and how fast his Undivided Chaos army is. I've got mostly footsloggers, a chariot, a lord on a disk, a Lord of Change and both furies and screamers.

I can't afford to blow any money on GW right now, so i'm stuck with what i have, which is actually fine; i've got probably around 3500 points of chaos sitting in my closet.

Furies are kind of sucky, but they're really quite flexible, and i look at them first to see if i can do any nasty tricks with them. They're great for taking out cannons and bolt throwers and denying march moves to units you don't want in your face right now, for example. I remember that they cause fear, so i go run over to the warhound stats and lookie here! Warhounds only have a Ld of 6!

I've never used screamers before, but i think i'm going to place them in a way that stiffens the furies a bit, while retaining a lot of flexibility on the battlefield.

I decided to place the harpies in a screen infront of my army to keep the dogs off with fear, and i'm going to put the screamers somewhere useful as well, probably with the furies.

Now i have a use for the harpies, that otherwise weren't going to be able to do much since there's no war machines or the like for them to annoy.

How have you adapted units for use in play?

scatterlaser
23-04-2005, 23:40
I've employed my Jezzail teams as a HtH unit on a few occasions. If there isn't anything worthwhile for them to shoot at, they can scuttle around 10" a turn, and they're capable of doing a fair bit of damage to the right targets. They've clubbed quite a few Skink units to death with Jezzail butts...

Slyracoon
24-04-2005, 17:20
In a few battles my Beastman Shaman charged some Tomb Kings light cavalry and disposed of them with his Bray-Staff. The third time I tried it, though, he'd swapped the cavalry's spears for bows and pincushioned the poor shaman with stand and shoot :( .

By the way Furies are pretty useful for taking out lone spell casters, as they can do that swooping attack thing. A unit of three with one auto-hitting S4 attack each is usually enough to do for your average mage, although Chaos-armoured guys may be more troublesome.

arxhon
24-04-2005, 20:11
You've got furies mixed up with screamers, but otherwise your tactic is sound. :)

Slyracoon
24-04-2005, 20:28
You've got furies mixed up with screamers, but otherwise your tactic is sound. :)
Argh, I was thinking screamers but I typed furies. The only problem with that tactic is you have to make sure and not give your target magician a chance to throw a magic missle your way, because even the weakest one can decimate such a small demon unit.

adreal
25-04-2005, 02:10
In a few battles my Beastman Shaman charged some Tomb Kings light cavalry and disposed of them with his Bray-Staff. The third time I tried it, though, he'd swapped the cavalry's spears for bows and pincushioned the poor shaman with stand and shoot :( .

stand and shoot, you got jipped my friend, undead can only hold.

Slyracoon
25-04-2005, 20:35
stand and shoot, you got jipped my friend, undead can only hold.
Haha, so I did. Nevermind, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as he'd just started the army and Tomb Kings have a plethora of special rules.

I remembered another example for the actual topic, though. Way back at the start of 6th ed I was using my wood elves, and managed to simultaneously charge a unit of Ironbreakers on three sides, the front, one flank and the rear. They broke like a ming vase :D .

Scythe
27-04-2005, 19:48
My vampire bats have engaged some ranked close combat units in the past, just because of the absence of any viable target. They made reasonable speed bumbs and can tip the balance if the unit is already engaged with another undead unit. They even managed to beat and run down Gorthor...

The same is true for my dark riders, who have charged ranked combat units on their own and break them without support. I remember breaking big units of 30+ big uns complete with characters with a simple flank charge.

Finally, a banshee is quite effective neutralising (eg charging) a character without magic weapon (quite a likely occurance these days), as long as it's not in a unit.