PDA

View Full Version : Changing Gargoyles

Charax
04-11-2005, 13:15
Tyranid Gargoyles are surprisingly standard for a species which is basically just "gaunt + wings", so I thought I'd reverse-engineer a couple of extra options for Gaunts that would make both them and Gargoyles more versatile:

Gaunt options:
Biomorphs: (add the following to the end of the Biomorph section of the Gaunt and Hormagaunt entries in Codex: Tyranids)
Wings: +8 (if the Brood has wings, it becomes a Fast Attack choice and gains the Deep Strike rule. Hormagaunts lose Leaping if this is taken)
Bio-plasma: +4/+8

So, standard Gargoyle (Gaunt, wings, Bioplasma, Fleshborer) comes out as
4+8+4+2= 18 points, slight increase, but that's the price of a more versatile selection, and Bioplasma's pretty nasty.

Scythed Gargoyle (Hormagaunt, Wings, Bioplasma)
10+8+4 = 22 points, but pretty nasty in combat.

Devourergoyle (Gaunt, Devourer, Toxin sacs, Wings)
4+8+2+8=22 points

Conversely, you can now have Gaunts with Bioplasma (yes, it's a bit scary)
4+4 = 8 (just on the cusp of Without Number)

Looking at these possibilities, I think the idea has merit, although I'm a little iffy about giving Gaunts, and especially hormagaunts, Bioplasma - so what do you think? I think the advantages (common sense, more versatility, greater conversion potential for Gargoyles, able to use Gargoyles in melee armies) ourweigh the disadvantages (Bioplasma)

Hideous Loon
08-11-2005, 22:27
Hmm. You might be onto something here, as the new GW Tyranids are composed by "broods of mutants" rather than "mutants within broods". Therefore, the Hive Mind may find it appropriate to give it's Gaunts Bio-Plasma, and Gargoyles without Bio-Plasma. I support your idea, even if noone else does.

Wraithbored
10-11-2005, 03:21
Very interesting and asside from the low price of the bioplasma gaunts I like what you did a lot! Hope you come up with more stuff in the future. Good work

Brimstone
10-11-2005, 05:57
the bioplasma gaunt would have to have weapons as well as bioplasma doesn't count.

big squig
10-11-2005, 06:18
I guess I'm the only one who thinks paying 18 points for a gargoyle is insane! Wings should be +4pts and bioplasm should be +2/+3. To be honest i was very surprised when I looked in the new bug dex for the first time and temaguants, hormagaunts, and gargoyles were not all the same unit with interchangable options...would have been alot simpler and would warrnet a new gaunt box with wings in it.

Charax
10-11-2005, 13:25
Good point on the Bioplasma - which is good, because that means Plamagaunts won't ever be Without Number.

The cost of Wings was arrived at by subtracting the cost of a Gaunt with fleshborer and splitting that between Bioplasma and Wings. It's increased because, looking at the rules for Bioplasma, it's icky - the extra points are for the option of having devourers and other things. How often do people use the Bioplasma on gargoyles anyway? they're half shooty and half assaulty, this way you can make them all one or the other, depending on their style.

Good to see replies coming in.

Icewalker
12-11-2005, 14:55
It seems well done. The prices I'm not so gung ho on (might want to bring them down a tad). You do have something there though. I like it. Thanks for the rules idea.

blitz589
12-11-2005, 15:19
ya the point cost is way to high, it still has a 6+armor save and only T3. so a guardsman could pay for himself and 2 others, if he kill 1 bug.

IncubiLord
06-12-2005, 19:37
You missed that Gargoyles don't follow Instinctive behavior and have a great Leadership - 10! I'd say that alone is worth about 3 pts/model.
And why can't I have 2 flying Tyrants?
...oops not here.