PDA

View Full Version : How old are these?

Ethlorien
13-08-2008, 19:33
So, I was over at my LGS here on lunch and I came across two small boxes. Both had old-school GW artwork on 'em. The first one 'Warband of Chaos' was made up of 1 chaos warrior, 4 identical beastmen, and 4 identical skaven. The other box was 'Knight's Retinue' or something, which was 1 bretonnian knight and 4 bowmen (2 different sculpts). Again, the sculpts were in plastic, but of a very old style - that crouched over chaos warrior look, beastmen with raised axes and hair that almost looked like a mohawk, stuff like that.

What I find amusing was how skaven were clumped into chaos - which i think I've heard mention of waaay back. I've only been in the game since 6th edition, but was wondering where these fellows came from and when were they used (seems odd to have a single unit of beastmen, skaven, and a chaos warrior).

Thanks for the clarification.

Thommy H
13-08-2008, 19:48
Late 80s/early 90s? About the time Advanced Heroquest was released, because that's when those Skaven models first showed up.

I think...

Crube
13-08-2008, 19:57
I seem to remember mixed units for Chaos back in 3rd Edition... but then I think the only plastic models were the drastic plastic box sets, of Dwarf/Skaven/elf/human mixes...

I dont recall any brets at that time.

They could be Heroquest add ons?

O&G'sRule
13-08-2008, 23:07
I first played in 93, 4th ed and I cant remember mixed boxes like that from then so I assume it was before that ed. Unless GW released some small boxes for sort of painting lessons, I think I remember something like that before the paintset with the marines in came out. Not sure though. Bretonnians I think first emerged just before 5th ed (I'm fairly sure they were out before the main box game was released with them in it), don't think they had models before that, but again might be wrong

Cherrystone
13-08-2008, 23:31
Bretonnians I think first emerged just before 5th ed (I'm fairly sure they were out before the main box game was released with them in it), don't think they had models before that, but again might be wrong

Bretonnians were in 3rd edition (not sure before that, nether had or read the armybook for 1st and 2nd ed).
They had cannons and swivel guns back then!!

EldarBishop
13-08-2008, 23:43
I started playing about 19-20 years ago... I DO remember that those sets came out shortly after I started playing. So, that'd definately be late (really late) 80s or more likely VERY early 90s.

snyggejygge
14-08-2008, 07:52
Those plastic boxes are actually from late 5:th/early 6:th edition, so not so old as one would think, GW released a few boxes like this, If I remember correctly it was: Chaos Warband, Wizards (included 8 plastic wizards, 6 from Empire, 1 Chaos Sorcerer & 1 DE Sorceress), Bretonnian Knight & retinue, Fantasy swarms, Elves & Adventurers (was basically the old heroquest models).

I think they released it as a way to sell out their old minis.

enyoss
14-08-2008, 08:21
If the beastman with mohawk is the model I'm thinking of then that particular cast was first seen circa 1994. That probably means that the sets are at least a bit newer than that. If that was the case though I'd have thought I'd have seen one of these sets at some point, which I haven't.

Bear in mind that GW did have a massive (and excellent value!) sell off of old stock just before the transistion to 6th edition, even of stuff they weren't culling from the army lists, so this might be part of that?

Cheers,

enyoss

Thommy H
14-08-2008, 10:27
Those plastic boxes are actually from late 5:th/early 6:th edition

They're really, really not.

DarthSte
14-08-2008, 10:33
The knight and archers will be from the plastics which came with the 5th edition, so that sounds about right to me.

snyggejygge
14-08-2008, 10:48

Yes they are, the Bretonnian knight & retinue is the same plastics that came in the 5:th edition box, only that shows you how new those are, the other models are mostly the one pose models from late 4:th/ early 5:th edition, repackaged to sell the last few of them, this was at the time that GW started to make regiments.
Don´t correct someone when you´re wrong...

sigur
14-08-2008, 10:57
I tend to agree that they are from 5th edition but the fact that the thread opener said that the beastmen had their axes risen sounds odd to me. The beastman plastics from back then just hold their halbeards in their hands.

Apart from that, my guess would also be 5th edition, probably around 1997 or so. Especially since there were no Bretonnian plastics before 5th edition.

Thommy H
14-08-2008, 11:42
Yes they are, the Bretonnian knight & retinue is the same plastics that came in the 5:th edition box, only that shows you how new those are, the other models are mostly the one pose models from late 4:th/ early 5:th edition, repackaged to sell the last few of them, this was at the time that GW started to make regiments.
Don´t correct someone when you´re wrong...

The Bretonnian ones might be from that era (although I never saw a single advertisement for it in White Dwarf or ever saw it for sale at the time) but the one with all the different Chaos creatures is from way, way earlier - I've encountered it myself, and it was incredibly obvious from just looking at it than it was from at least the early 90s. What possible reason could GW have for packaging models from different armies together well into the era of Army Books, and when they knew they were about to overhaul the whole game?

Jellicoe
14-08-2008, 15:20
Not late 80's - if they are 3rd then they are very late 3rd in the early 90's (my wilderness years) Possibly brought out with the 2 big chaos books which to my lasting regret I never purchased

There was a boxed monster set in the late 80's - it was more RPG focused and included a dark elf, an orc a goblin a wolf, a chaos warrior and possibly an ogre. There was a counterpart adventurer set. I have most of each. There was an earlier adventurer set in 1st ed which I also have

Refardeon
14-08-2008, 15:58
It is right, that thsi boxes were brought to sell late 5th ed. They were sold as draw-in for new hobbyists. There was a set with heroes of warhammer quest, backed up by talisman (?) ones, all about 8 models. Then the mentioned sorcerer box with 8 sorcs (light, fire, jade?, amethyst?, amber, necromancer, DE sorceress, chaos sorcerer) brought as WD goodies 1 random in early 90's in germany, the bretonnian retinue (1 knight and 4 archers, all from 5th ed basic game box), the chaos retinue (1 warrior, 4 beastman, 4 skaven) all 4th ed plastics. Then there was an elven box (2 HE spears, 2 HE bowmen, 4 WE bowmen) all 4th ed with the HE originally 4th ed basic game box; the swarms 4 or 5 sprues each containing 1 spider, 1 bat, 1 rat and 1 snot, providing one swarm base each. These models are also included in warhammer quest. And an orc box ( each 2 of orc boyz, orc arrer boys, goblin spears, night goblin archers, and 1 fanatic) if remembered right, the goblins also coming from 4th ed basic box, the orcs coming from warhammer quest and the fanatic from talisman. Then there was a monster pack, with a warhammer quest minotaur and some more models, just really can't remember in the moment.

Hopefully to help

Greetz Refardeon

Thommy H
14-08-2008, 17:30
Well they were never advertised in White Dwarf or available in Games Workshop stores then, with the exception of the swarms, which I actually bought.

Harwammer
14-08-2008, 23:15
The chaos one is from before 5th ed, certainly. It is from before the armies had become as split as they are now.

There is a chance the the bret box is 5th ed. 5th ed brets had 2 different archer sculpts (one's helmet was a metal bowl with a rim, the other was just a metal bowl. One had its arrows on a string on its belt, the other had his arrows in the ground next to its foot. Both wore a buttoned up coat and tights (in 5th edition bret bowmen also counted as hookers). I'm sure the most common boxes for brets is 2 knights for a fiver and the other was about 8 archers for a fiver.

Duke Georgal
14-08-2008, 23:54
Those plastic boxes are actually from late 5:th/early 6:th edition, so not so old as one would think, GW released a few boxes like this, If I remember correctly it was: Chaos Warband, Wizards (included 8 plastic wizards, 6 from Empire, 1 Chaos Sorcerer & 1 DE Sorceress), Bretonnian Knight & retinue, Fantasy swarms, Elves & Adventurers (was basically the old heroquest models).

This is absolutely correct. They were released right after the 6th edition box set was released.

Games-Workshop released several of these "Toy Boxes" of a few plastic models each. The Bretonnian Retinue included one knight and four bowmen from the 5th edition box set.

The real gem is the wizards box. It includes some of the best wizards G-W ever made in plastic. The boxes sold for $7.99 new. The swarms box is pretty cool too if you want a few small nasties for base decorations.

Rykion
15-08-2008, 00:20
I bought some of the different gift box sets back when they came out. I just looked at two of them and the copyright date on the box is 2000. The boxes were just a way to market some old plastic models.

Crazy Harborc
15-08-2008, 00:25
I tend to agree that they are from 5th edition but the fact that the thread opener said that the beastmen had their axes risen sounds odd to me. The beastman plastics from back then just hold their halbeards in their hands.

Apart from that, my guess would also be 5th edition, probably around 1997 or so. Especially since there were no Bretonnian plastics before 5th edition.

Um.....there was a multi armies box of plastic, white plastic, you got 30 minies. Skaven w/hand weapons and shields, Orcs w/HW & S, Wood Elves w/longbows, DEs w/crossbows (NOT repeaters), Dwarves w/HW & S, Goblins w/shortbows. All that AND the minies box of 30 did cost less than 25 bucks.

Product Code 0756..."Not suitable for children under 36 months.......":D

Yes, yes I know the box did not contain any Bretonnians. Hey I found the empty box a couple of weeks ago. I've been waiting for a reason to post about it. Gimme a break I'm an old fart I don't know any better.

Sir Charles
15-08-2008, 01:46
So, I was over at my LGS here on lunch and I came across two small boxes. Both had old-school GW artwork on 'em. The first one 'Warband of Chaos' was made up of 1 chaos warrior, 4 identical beastmen, and 4 identical skaven. The other box was 'Knight's Retinue' or something, which was 1 bretonnian knight and 4 bowmen (2 different sculpts). Again, the sculpts were in plastic, but of a very old style - that crouched over chaos warrior look, beastmen with raised axes and hair that almost looked like a mohawk, stuff like that.

What I find amusing was how skaven were clumped into chaos - which i think I've heard mention of waaay back. I've only been in the game since 6th edition, but was wondering where these fellows came from and when were they used (seems odd to have a single unit of beastmen, skaven, and a chaos warrior).

Thanks for the clarification.Oooh, that Knights retinue is what I built most of my first Bret army. I still have a bunch of those crappy old archers.

Anvilbrow
15-08-2008, 05:07
Well they were never advertised in White Dwarf or available in Games Workshop stores then, with the exception of the swarms, which I actually bought.

Yes they were (available in GW stores), at least in the U.S. And they were released during 5th edition. Many of the models in them were available previously in the Warhammer Quest box (skaven, orcs, monsters-includes snotlings, spiders, bats and rats), some from Talisman and the rest were weird mixes of troops for some (Chaos) and wizards, as detailed earlier as well as the best one, the "adventurers" which included a plastic halfling thief, dark elf assassin, warriorr etc. I still see some of them on Ebay occasionally and some of them fetch quite a nice price, but not enough to part with mine;)

Anvilbrow
15-08-2008, 05:11
@ Harborc:

That was the "Warhammer Armies Forces of Fantasy" or something like that wasn't it? I bought a few of those in the late 80s to bulk up my armies. They were horrific by today's standards... but it was the 80's... Good times.

DarthSte
15-08-2008, 09:39
@ Harborc:

That was the "Warhammer Armies Forces of Fantasy" or something like that wasn't it? I bought a few of those in the late 80s to bulk up my armies. They were horrific by today's standards... but it was the 80's... Good times.

I think that was my third ever Fantasy Battle purchase! My first was an all metal orc boar boy. He had like a hood over his face and a skull in his left hand. Second was the elf beastmaster with the warcat/leopard things...

Thommy H
15-08-2008, 09:51
Yes they were (available in GW stores), at least in the U.S. And they were released during 5th edition. Many of the models in them were available previously in the Warhammer Quest box (skaven, orcs, monsters-includes snotlings, spiders, bats and rats), some from Talisman and the rest were weird mixes of troops for some (Chaos) and wizards, as detailed earlier as well as the best one, the "adventurers" which included a plastic halfling thief, dark elf assassin, warriorr etc. I still see some of them on Ebay occasionally and some of them fetch quite a nice price, but not enough to part with mine;)

I swear to God they were never in White Dwarf or released in stores over here then. Believe me, I'd have known - I was accumulating figures to do a dungeon crawl game at the time (which was why I bought the swarms box) and, had there been a source of cheap assorted monsters available, I'd have snapped it up.

sigur
15-08-2008, 10:52
The real gem is the wizards box. It includes some of the best wizards G-W ever made in plastic. The boxes sold for $7.99 new. The swarms box is pretty cool too if you want a few small nasties for base decorations.

I absolutely agree. The plastic DE Sorceress is a favorite of mine but the other mages look very very good too. Much to my shame, I never knew the swarms box was all plastic.:o

Griefbringer
16-08-2008, 09:44
Um.....there was a multi armies box of plastic, white plastic, you got 30 minies. Skaven w/hand weapons and shields, Orcs w/HW & S, Wood Elves w/longbows, DEs w/crossbows (NOT repeaters), Dwarves w/HW & S, Goblins w/shortbows. All that AND the minies box of 30 did cost less than 25 bucks.

Actually, the original version (Warhammer Fantasy Regiments, released in 1987 or so) contained 60 models. It got repackaged around 1993 into 30 model box (with about same price as the box of 60 models) and then eventually dropped.

Killgore
16-08-2008, 12:29

they are as i bought the wizard box

the models where designed many years before in the 90's and used in numerous games such as hero quest, the rereleased boxs in 6th ed where probaly to clear out old stock

Thommy H
16-08-2008, 13:22
Well they're certainly not Heroquest models - those have integral bases. But they do go back to the early 90s. As I say, the boxes may have been released at the end of 5th Edition, but I never saw them and they're were never mentioned anywhere in White Dwarf in the UK. I was very active in the hobby at the time and recently spent a lot of time reading through my WD back issues as it happens, and there's no mention of anything but the swarms boxed set around that time.

Griefbringer
16-08-2008, 14:01
Presumably, those kits were not really aimed at GW stores, but rather at various indie/book/toy stores, and thus they did not get coverage in WD nor in GW stores.

I picked the Wizards set a few years pack, quite decent plastic models for their era. Haven't found use for the chaos sorceror (not very good model) nor for the dark elf sorceress (pretty nice model) yet though.