PDA

View Full Version : Mixed Chaos Armies?

Sam Spade
14-08-2008, 02:24
Hello,

I am having trouble deciding between certain chaos legions and I was wondering what do you think of the idea to have a like, crusading chaos army. Meaning that I would have like a CSM squad of Iron Warriors, once of Night Lords, a couple Thousand Sons Rubric Marines, possiable some Noise Marines and what not. I want to get FW dreadnoughts and upgrades as well as buy all the little extras from GW like the Night Lords and Iron Warriors CSM upgrades and what not. I dont want it to be Black Legion though. Just wanted to know if you guys/gals thought it would work visually or if it would look like a hodgepodge of stuff?

Thanks,
Jonathan

blackroyal
14-08-2008, 02:38
I like the thought of several differing legions in an army and think it will look good.

Znail
14-08-2008, 02:46
Depends a bit on what you mix and how you paint them. Night Lords and Thousand Sons have similar colors so will look good togeather. Iron Warriors will probobly also fit in. Plaguemarines or Berzerkers might look more out of place, atleast with the normal colors.

Sam Spade
14-08-2008, 02:52
Yea my four favorite chaos armies are 1k Sons, IW, Night Lords and EC so those are the only one that would go in it probally.

Chem-Dog
14-08-2008, 03:13
It's backed up by the background supplied in the codex actually, individual warriors aligning themselves with a lord. These individuals are likely to be renegades from their own Legion but Meh. You can thow in a healthy supply of renegade Chapter marines too.

Ddraiglais
14-08-2008, 03:48
Barring having Abbadon as a leader (and you said you didn't want BL), I don't see this as a fluffy idea. The legions fight each other more than they fight the Imperium. I would stress this even more with the IW. They seem to have an intense rivalry with BL. They only answer to Abby when they want to. Then there's the classic rivalries between the gods (Khorne/Slaanesh and Nurgle/Tzeentch).

Mixing the various bitz might be pretty cool, but I'd decide on one color scheme and name for your legion or warband. IW fit in well as regular CSM. NL can be raptors, bikers, or CSM. They scream speed, so that's why I suggested converting them to raptors or bikers. If you convert the weapons on the EC, then they could be normal CSM. If not, not all noise marines are EC. They could just be a part of your warband that worships Slaanesh. TS is the only place where I see a problem. Only one legion did the Rubric of Ahriman. I guess you could justify it by some sort of Warp energy thing in a certain part of the EoT. The only other suggestion I have for TS is to convert them back into CSM with an Egyptian theme.

Mer
14-08-2008, 03:49
if you could figure a way to unite all the color schemes it would work fine.

write some background saying how your lord ended up with alliences with so many different factions of chaos marines. should be fine. :)

cailus
14-08-2008, 04:56
I have thought about it but it means the army does not have a unified look.

I think the best way to approach mullti-legion armies is to settle on two or three different legions and then paint each component to theat legion as opposed to having every unit a different colour.

For example your army might represent an alliance between say an Iron Warrior warband, some Nightlords and the Death Guard.

So you'd maybe paint all your heavy support and some chaos marine units the colours of the Iron Warriors while Fast Attack and Rhino based squads are painted in Nightlord colours. You then might have a couple of units of Plague Marines and maybe one of the Heavy Support choices painted in Death Guard colours. You could have 3 HQ choices from of the legions involved and use them in different games.

Redrivertears uses this methodology for his Chaos Daemon armies and it looks pretty good. Examples of his army under the following battle report:

http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152998
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/5390/battle01ml8.jpg

Occulto
14-08-2008, 05:04
It's not too different to a Biel-Tan army, where all the aspects have radically different colour schemes.

The important things are to keep both your paint style and basing consistent.

So for example, if you hand paint the Legion symbols on one unit, then do that for all units rather than mixing in decals or moulded shoulder pads.

Gutted
14-08-2008, 06:18
Sounds doable and IRC fluff rich. To my knowedge most chaos space marine forces are made up of a collection of Marines from many different sources. They gather to the strong or ally themselves to a cause. Thus you get forces with multiple chaos gods, cult marines and the like.

Huron's force is a prime example and at least originally in the fluff his marines even kept their original colours, but just splashed some red pain on their Imperial iconography.

Ambu
14-08-2008, 06:19
Have you thought of making your own 'Legion'. There are tons out there w/ the latest CSM Codex its easy to blend the different types together. Don't think they will have any certain Legion specific rules for a little bit for the new ruleset/codex.

I am personnaly doing this myself. The Appocolispe size version of the army (yes my army is that big, and growing) Is Plague Marine Heavy, with support squads of Noise Marines and 'Zerkers (haven't blended in Thousand Sons Yet), ALOT of Vehicles. My Prince is VERY Khorne, 2 Sorcerers (one Tzeentch, one Nurgle). I can go on and on. In the process of stripping/painting or I would put up pics (was formally a buddies army which was his first he had ever painted)

Anyway whay I have is the base color scheme of Brown, Black, Bronze which all the troops have. My 'Zerkers will carrythis color scheme save certain aspects (like there helmets) will be red or Khorne specific (like ONE shoulder pad) much like SM will have different shoulder icons to designate type of squad and number. Thosand Sons the same, as well as my Death Company (Plague Marines) who will carry the exact color scheme just in muted versions of the color scheme.

Hope I explainedthis idea ok, sorry if I didn't

lousydiceroller
14-08-2008, 06:40
For me it all comes down to how the models look on the table. When I first starting playing 40K I had a wide mix of models; bezerkers, plague marines, chaos marines, ect. A large bunch of infantry with a dreadnaught and predator as back up. I had no plan just got the models that looked cool and didn't paint in any type of theme.

Some time ago when the new codex came out I themed a word bearers army. Each model has the same type of dark red that gives the army a consistent look. It sure makes a difference.

So I recommend picking a color that will flow through the army.

When run into a color that doesn’t match the traditional color scheme try and find a color that is the same “tone”.

If the army looks like it belongs together it will not mater what units they are.

Reaver83
14-08-2008, 06:49
When I started I used a pure WE list, however as i've played more and more, i wanted new units, and basically got bored of painting the colour red, I now have an HQ for each of the 4 powers (more for Khorne) and I'm currently working on one cult squad and one other marked squad so I can have a nice mixed army.

On the table i'm loving the look they're a band of renegades, and they have one mission destroy, it doesn't matter how they do that, as long as they bring the imperium to it's knees!

Sir_Turalyon
14-08-2008, 14:17
Sounds like typical CSM warband (if there is such a thing) - band of marines united behind single, powerful champion. Given that CSm are supposed to follow you because of strong personality and favours of chaos gods, i see nothing wrong with your idea.

ReveredChaplainDrake
14-08-2008, 14:18
As a Night Lords player with a plethora of cults in my collection, I find the Black Legion approach to work well: simply incorporate some of the color schemes of your Night Lords into your Cult Marines. Thousand Sons are generally okay as is, but some darker blues and lightning bolts here and there wouldn't hurt. With Emperor's Children, use more purples and very dark blues in lieu of black to keep the feel more night-lords-looking, but they'll still be notably different. For Khorne Berserkers, paint the heads as normal, but the bodies as if they were actual Night Lords. The only ones who the transition doesn't really look good on are Nurgle models, particularly those with lots of hanging, dilapidated body parts, like Plague Marines and the Nurgle Prince. I still haven't quite figured out how to make blue armor look aged.

AlphaLegionMarine
14-08-2008, 14:31
I dont see a problem with this. Thats what the new book is supposed to represent.

Ddraiglais
14-08-2008, 15:32
For example your army might represent an alliance between say an Iron Warrior warband, some Nightlords and the Death Guard.

Iron Warriors do not fight in warbands. Iron Warriors field grand companies.

Ambu
14-08-2008, 15:44

Yeah but you can fluff it out by saying they where in a failed attack and where unintentionally abbandoned and are currently fighting with the Nightlords until they can make it their home base.....

Great thing about this game is you can create fluff for any circumctance as long you are not using ang legion specific rules, which as far as I know there is none supported for the latest codex.

IronNerd
14-08-2008, 15:52
Fire away man. I'm an IW man, but I've always loved Nurgle. That being said, I'm putting together a band of Plague Marines that's going to be following my great Warsmith. I'll paint them like Plague Marines with at least an IW shoulderpad, just to fit them together. That's what I'm doing...

FunkyRatDemon
14-08-2008, 23:13
Seems like a Black Legion army to me
When I played Space Marines as my main army (about 6 years ago) there was a person at my shop who owned 1 of each Chaos Boxset. Mind you, he was using the older codex (cause that was out, and it seemed more 'plausable'. Everything used basic (regular) stats, but looked awesome

Gutted
15-08-2008, 08:08

So Iron Warriors never splinter off from the legion? That doesn't seem very Chaosey to me.

Occulto
15-08-2008, 08:16

Cool paintjobs trump fluff restrictions. :p

Ddraiglais
15-08-2008, 08:44
So Iron Warriors never splinter off from the legion? That doesn't seem very Chaosey to me.

I've never heard of it. The Chaosy part is that on Medrengard entire grand companies lay siege to rival grand companies' fortresses.

I just thought of something that could work. In Dead Sky Black Sun a grand company gets annihilated. You could maybe come up with fluff that the last remaining couple of squads got off of Medrengard to save their skin and now hire themselves out as mercs.

Cool paintjobs trump fluff restrictions. :p

That is entirely a matter of opinion. :D

Dragonlv8
15-08-2008, 10:11
Im currently doing a simmilar army, Dark angels looking Plague marines as that was my only green when I began painting, World eaters Khorne berzerkers, Emporers children sourcerer and termis and haven't decided yet on my other 2 squads.

totgeboren
15-08-2008, 13:53
ofc you may buy any models you like and paint them any way you fancy, but I have yet to see a Chaos warband with troops from several different legion look as good as a warband from one legion/chapter.

A strong theme, fluffwise and colourwise really adds quite alot to any army, and chaos is no different.

I have yet to see a loyal SM army with squads from many different chapters, though there is nothing in the rules that forbids it. And the reason is, I believe, that it just doesn't work visually.

But hey, I play Word Bearers, and I guess their fluff has rubbed of on me abit. Death to all who will not hear the word of Lorgar! (i.e. all who either dont follow chaos, or follow any of the specific gods) :P