PDA

View Full Version : What patronising dreck!

Osbad
14-08-2008, 12:21
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SphcF_wSeXM

If this is the level of understanding of typical investment advisors like iii, then no wonder teh stock market is a shambles...

They've just taken GW's PR spin and regurgitated with a load of unecessary mockery of GW's customers...

If anyone at GW endorsed such a mockery of the people who pay his wages he deserves a kicking.

Gaebriel
14-08-2008, 12:39
That... is simply... :eyebrows:

And did she say World of Warcraft?

Putty
14-08-2008, 12:44
epic fail...

Mad Doc Grotsnik
14-08-2008, 12:48
She did indeed say Warcraft.

Oh dear.

Jedi152
14-08-2008, 12:52
"It's safe to say the accessories don't include girlfriends!"

Hobby centres: "That's where gamers go to meet human beings!".

Very clever.

Templar Ben
14-08-2008, 12:52
I will be honest.

I laughed. ;)

sigur
14-08-2008, 12:54
Who is this person and why is she insulting me? :(

Bloodknight
14-08-2008, 12:55
What an insult. And the world of Warcraft?....oomph...

Mad Doc Grotsnik
14-08-2008, 13:02
Although it is interesting to hear something positive being said about the company. For once.

Brother Loki
14-08-2008, 13:03
She did suggest that things were looking up for the company again in the longer term.

Templar Ben
14-08-2008, 13:12
What was insulting exactly?

The fact that she said that most gamers have BO? We say that on here.
The fact that she said that most gamers have problems with the opposite sex? Try Random Musings sometimes.
The fact that she made fun of people getting "really into" their ork army? Ever heard a store yell Waaggh?

There is nothing I saw there that hasn't been addressed by gamers themselves.

As to the simple regurgitation of the GW spin on how things are doing? Well I didn't really expect indepth analysis.

As to saying World of Warcraft instead of Warhammer? That was more than likely a slip on the voice over actor because which has he heard more often (more than likely).

Rick_1138
14-08-2008, 13:14
what a load of drivle.

made me laugh, but i liked how she was almost contemptuiosly (spell?) saying GW lost 2.3 million last year and they are unpopular on the FTSE board.

well lets look at the Royal Bank of Scotland who lost some £600 million the other month, i wonder ow popular they are with FTSE shareholders!

Still always a safe bet, the gamers of the world are smelly single men in their 30's, can they come up with nothing new.

Ward.
14-08-2008, 13:24

The fact that she said that most gamers have problems with the opposite sex? Try Random Musings sometimes.
The fact that she made fun of people getting "really into" their ork army? Ever heard a store yell Waaggh?

Because it's done in a tongue in check way between gamers over a topic that we know the truth of, where as coming from her it's comparable to a white person making a joke about black people being unable to get a job.

On topic, I found it kind of funny-ish, it was almost funny but without the aforementioned tongue in cheak aspect it was too kiddy. Shame as the topic had potential.

Secondly, and this is the important question. I have got to know how the OP came by something like this in the first place?

Templar Ben
14-08-2008, 13:34
I am rarely tongue in cheek when I say that gamers stink.

It is not at all comparable to racism. That hyperbole only serves to show that there is a lot of overreaction to a fluff piece.

Gobbo Lord
14-08-2008, 13:42
This is extremely condescending to the customers of the company. It also highlights the problem with GW becoming a plc. By gamers for gamers is now By gamers for people who think gamers are girlfriendless, bearded dorks. The kiddy style of presentation is another jab at the hobby in general. This is a Stock Marketers guide to the share price of a company that is currently trading, why the stupid voice? The Warhammer/Warcraft slip up just cements that this idiot has no idea about the company shes covering. People like her are majority shareholders..... oh dear.

Ward.
14-08-2008, 13:43
I am rarely tongue in cheek when I say that gamers stink.

Perhaps you should try loosening up then.

It is not at all comparable to racism. That hyperbole only serves to show that there is a lot of overreaction to a fluff piece.

It wasn't meant to compare to the racism aspect, but the "but-you-don't-really-know-why-that's-funny" bit.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
14-08-2008, 13:43
Not they aren't.

She's a presenter, most likely reading off an autocue. I'm seeing this as a sort of 'QVC' for Stocks and Shares.

Talk about jumping to conclusions.

Bloodknight
14-08-2008, 13:47
@Templar Ben: what we are doing (as gamers as a whole) is called self-deprecation. If I remember correctly, it is, for example, part of the British lifestyle and humour. If somebody else does it, it is an insult.
Example: I may say "Man, I am stupid" in a joking way, but I will be offended if somebody else calls me that way. So for me, that video was pretty offending.

Templar Ben
14-08-2008, 13:54
Well I can't imagine being offended over what people say about themselves.

scarletsquig
14-08-2008, 14:00
Hahaha... brilliant production standards on that vid. She spent at least £50 on the models, it's a shame she didn't glue some together and make them fight like army men.

She's even wearing an anorak! :D

Nothing to get worked up over, if you look at her other vids, she mocks every single company she reviews, GW didn't get special treatment.

Check out this one where she dresses up as a chav, and steals from Woolworths after comparing the company to a paedophile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ft34WWvCPc

Brother Loki
14-08-2008, 14:07
It also highlights the problem with GW becoming a plc. By gamers for gamers is now By gamers for people who think gamers are girlfriendless, bearded dorks.

I'm a single 33 year old with a beard who spends large chunks of my day arguing with people on internet forums about a game of toy soldiers. I suspect that's a fairly good assessment of GW's customers. ;)

I do agree with you though, that I wish GW had never gone public, and remained a privately owned business run by gamers. We'll never know whether that would have been better, or whether it would have gone under by now.

Gavroche
14-08-2008, 14:24
Brilliant!!!! I love it!!! :)

lorbaat
14-08-2008, 14:25

GW staffers followed my clubmate around for a good ten minutes at Games Day Baltimore trying to get him to Waagh. He flatly refused. They gave up eventually.

Bloodknight
14-08-2008, 14:31
@Osbad: how did you find that one? I just looked at a few of the others and seemingly nobody watches these on youtube. They all have maybe 30 viewers ^^. Except the GW one now :p

Codsticker
14-08-2008, 15:01
I didn't think it was all that bad- a tad snide but oh well.

blongbling
14-08-2008, 15:34
the ironic thing will be that she will have more views on this subject due to Warseerers going to it so she will most likely do a follow up :)

Templar Ben
14-08-2008, 15:57
I think it would be a riot if that were to happen.

de Selby
14-08-2008, 16:28
I dunno, I thought it was funny. Interesting outsider's perspective on GW's corporate health or otherwise, assessment of which is usually laced with a little too much hysteria on here.

Purefear
14-08-2008, 18:48
While I was slightly annoyed at first... It is kinda amusing...
They obviously have very little if any knowledge of what "Warcraft" actually is.
And do be honest there has been more than one occasion where I wished I had a gas-mask while buying my models.

neXus6
14-08-2008, 20:06
I thought it was pretty funny...the only bit I didn't get was the "nylon" line, isn't that ment to be trainspotters/people who go outside, not geeks who shun daylight and water. ;)

McMullet
14-08-2008, 20:29
Yeah, the modern gamer-about-town can't wear a nylon jumper as it would obscure the the name of whichever metal band happens to feature on their black t-shirt. I wish these people would do some research!

Templar Ben
14-08-2008, 20:29
I thought it was because nylon outwear is generally low cost/low fashion.

I am not British though.

Xavier
14-08-2008, 21:15
Hahaha; oh god; I don't know why that was funny; but it just was...

BLARGAG!!!
14-08-2008, 21:17
Yeah, the modern gamer-about-town can't wear a nylon jumper as it would obscure the the name of whichever metal band happens to feature on their black t-shirt. I wish these people would do some research!

QFT.

i have to say that i wasnt all that thrilled by the excessive use of gamer stereotypes. while some of them may be true, many of them arent. i for one am a pretty clean cut, not smelly guy and if you met me on the street, you would never know that i spend many hours locked in my room painting toy soldiers.

also, i have to second the request for knowing how the OP found this thing in the first place

heretics bane
14-08-2008, 22:10
I didnt really find it funny.okay ill appluade her for noticing we occasionaly smell even though you can get kicked out of a GW for poor hygiene.

i didnt really find it funny more annoying that somebody could @rse themselves to make a vid about how "sad" we appearantly are. which is more sad?

Warboss Antoni
15-08-2008, 02:09
This isn't real, is it?

Ward.
15-08-2008, 03:11

Or their wolf howling at the moon...

I admit I am one of those metal shirt gamers though :o

Codsticker
15-08-2008, 03:40
I think the most offending thing about it is that she is just regurgitating the lastest spin from GW on it's financial woes. If it is meant to offer some sort of investment advice then it's a pretty crappy product.

lorbaat
15-08-2008, 04:45
I think the most offending thing about it is that she is just regurgitating the lastest spin from GW on it's financial woes. If it is meant to offer some sort of investment advice then it's a pretty crappy product.

Even worse is the realization that if they were just parroting GW's corporate line on how they're improving financially, they were probably also parroting GW Corporate's opinion of their customer base.

Occulto
15-08-2008, 05:37
Perhaps you should try loosening up then.

Nup. I'm with Templar Ben.

I've endured too many gamers who think bathing is an optional lifestyle choice, and it's really not funny. :eyebrows:

tassiewargamer
15-08-2008, 06:16
At first I felt like bashing them up but it was kinda funny. Though Im not sure either how they're giving finacial advice.

zedeyejoe
15-08-2008, 07:09
I loved it and yes investors are mostly idiots. I was at the launch of a company onto the stock market and the guy in charge of the British Rail Pension fund investments was there, drunk as a lord and struggling to light the wrong end of his cigarette.

Pravus
15-08-2008, 08:23
On the plus side, if muppet investors think GW are related to World of Warcraft they might buy stock hand over fist! Furthermore, even my most desperate gaming singleton mates wouldn't give that clueless smug-a-tron hose-beast a punch in a bar fight. Let's face it, if we're going to generalise she probably rides a horse ... called Trojan ... that she spends a lot of time with ... grooming ... alone.

Shamfrit
15-08-2008, 08:59
ROFLCOPTER.

That has to be the funniest thing I have EVER seen!

'WAR HAS BEEN HELL!'

I swear to god the voice over sounds exactly like a mate of mine, and the endless puns are just so tacky they're excellent :D

And it ends on such a funny note, manic laugh, then a 'so there' head nod. GENIUS!

---

And don't get me even STARTED on the Woolworths Video! Genius! 'It drops quicker than Britney Spears Knickers!'

:wtf:

Osbad
15-08-2008, 09:31
@Osbad: how did you find that one? I just looked at a few of the others and seemingly nobody watches these on youtube. They all have maybe 30 viewers ^^. Except the GW one now :p

Somone else spotted it and pointed it out on TLA. I don't know how they found it. I presume when searching for "Games Workshop" on Youtube...

I'm not all chewed up about it. Just a shame that GW's official logo image etc have been tied into a tired old stereotyping of its customers. Given that iii probably must have had GW permission to use their product on TV I would have hoped they could have been able to at least exert a little control over the thing.

I'm not saying we should boycott them or anything, but I'm just a little disappointed that someone seemed to think that they needed to pimp their share prices at the expense of mockery of their core customer base. I find it a little distasteful, but not upsetting as it is all too predictable.

I would have hoped in an ideal world that GW would realise that their best interests would be served by moving gaming out of the "closet" and into the mainstream so that more customers are attracted to the hobby and not put off by its portrayal as a haven for freaks.

I'm "normal" in the sense I am married, have 3 children, a full time responsible job, a mortgage, short hair, I shower and rarely wear black t-shirts. That I happen to also enjoy some of the wargames GW produce should not allow me to be sterotyped and labled. (Not that I think having long hair, wearing black etc. is bad or freakish, but it isn't my inclination. Not showering is bad though... :P)

I can put up with humour, I can take a joke. And if this was some sort of stand up comedian routine I would shrug my shoulders and take it on the chin like (say) Irish people have had to do with deprecating humour over the last century.

But this isn't a stand up comedy routine, it is a piece of cheap PR aimed at GW's shareholders with the implicit support of the GW senior management engineered by the iii people.

I don't want to go overboard. But I do find it distasteful and symptomatic of the dystopia in the higher echelons of GW management. It's like walking into a GW store and seeing a sign behind the counter saying "you don't have to be fat and smelly to play our games, but it helps..." It's cheap humour in poor taste, and will result in, I suspect, exactly the opposite effect of that intended. As cheap, un-thought-through PR stunts usually do in the long term.

I hope someone waves it under Mark Wells' nose and says "please try and not let this happen again". I took enough grief from GW paying their rediculous prices (and up until very recently their shockingly bad rules support). I don't want to also be mocked for being fat, beardy and smelly with poor social skills and no love life by them too....

At least its not a major news channel airing it. Thank goodness.

Heru Talon
15-08-2008, 09:35
The insult is that she implied we're all a bunch of anti-social geeks, when in fact tabletop gaming is much more social than Computer Gaming. She really managed to flop like the retarded fish that she is when she brought Warcraft (which has nothing to do with GW or tabletop gaming) into it.

Shamfrit
15-08-2008, 09:54
It's good to see that Yahtzee is seeping into the media more than he might like to admit :D

Rhamag
15-08-2008, 10:28
This is the source of the vid:

http://iball.iii.co.uk/2008/08/14/games-workshop-plc-gaw/

Check out a random selection of the others. They're all similar. People getting upset about it is just funny. Read the long comment from the guy who takes "extreme" offensive at the video. Then imagine that he's just posted it in 40K General complaining about 5th Ed. Stereotypes exist for a reason. He's just re-inforced the public's stereotype of "nerd-rage". Just because we don't match them, doesn't mean that others don't.

LordFulgrim
15-08-2008, 10:57
I wonder what she'll say if she ever meets me. I wear three-piece suits (although they are all black: shock horror!) and bathe every day thank you very much.
The gamer stereotypes do not offend me personally because they are simply not true. I do think it's distateful however because it makes fun of the customer base and that is very bad PR imo.

Brother Lysander
15-08-2008, 11:33
Relax, the good man Marquis over on the Golden Throne did a little investigative journalism of his own:

It's good to see ****-poor journalism, reliant on minimal research, mediocre puns and outdated and cliched stereotyping is still alive, well and championed by smug, slutty, overweight blondes whose high-flying careers are well and truly down the toilet since their arrest in 2004 for supply cocaine...

Touché (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alison_Bell) slutface (http://www.mirror.co.uk/2004/07/28/bizarre-love-life-of-hewitt-s-girl-89520-14467765/)

Shamfrit
15-08-2008, 11:41
Relax, the good man Marquis over on the Golden Throne did a little investigative journalism of his own:

'Touche Slutface' has to be the most evocatively cool reply I've heard. :D

TheBigBadWolf
15-08-2008, 11:55
The Game PLC one is quite funny, i dont think they have ever seen an xbox before by the look of the photo they have at the start, it kinda looks like that spark thing in halo.

http://iball.iii.co.uk/2008/08/06/game-group-plc-gmg/

Jedi152
15-08-2008, 12:12
Someone please post that Marquis comment on the video - i want to see their reaction.

Ward.
15-08-2008, 12:28
It's good to see that Yahtzee is seeping into the media more than he might like to admit :D
As long as I never hear the words "snooker loopy" again I agree with shamfrit.

heretics bane
15-08-2008, 13:04
As long as I never hear the words "snooker loopy" again I agree with shamfrit.

Condemed 2 review:D i did quite like the "Snooker Loopy" phrase.

looks like her career has gone down the drain

ctsteel
15-08-2008, 13:22
I can take the tongue in cheek aspect of it quite easily as it's somewhat to be expected I suppose (even among your own friends/colleagues you'll get some of this - a girl at work the other day only half jokingly asked me whether I'd been buying more accessories for my dolls), but I was quite annoyed by the horrid voice over bits - regardless of the content of the story itself, they were just plain irritating to hear.

TheLionReturns
15-08-2008, 14:23
That was really strange. I didn't think it was really that funny, just a collection of stereotypes, nothing innovative or clever.

I think perhaps that the attempt at comedy devalues the information provided. I certainly wouldn't base investment decisions on the word of someone acting the fool like that. Hardly inspires confidence.

I'm actually having trouble working out who this kind of thing is aimed at. I mean professionals already have this information. Casual investors are surely likely to want such information delivered in a more professional manner. Is this a "shares are cool, look we do jokes" kind of thing to get kids interested in the stock market? You know the kind of things a teacher can use in a business studies or economics lesson.

Lapsed Pacifist
15-08-2008, 14:50
I would, she's a ****!

Fire Harte
15-08-2008, 15:38
This woman is an idiot, to be honest, and patronising. She clearly thinks she is better than most people and views woolworths and gw as 'crap'. I left the word 'crap' as a comment on that video, because its not a real report, it is just some lousy attempt to get people on your side by discriminaton.

Shamfrit
15-08-2008, 16:24
So seriously now, none of you know a GW Player who'se slightly overweight, geeky, has bad BO and is single?

Nooo, didn't think so...

Stereotypes are always generalised from the truth, even if it is a small demographic truth that has been, well, stereotyped. If Yahtzee had done this in a video format you'd all have wet your socks off, patted one another on the back, and gone down to your local to have a pint of Pedigree and snort endlessly about it.

Harwammer
15-08-2008, 16:35
Why does she objectify women by saying girlfriends are accessories?

Does she believe as a woman she is worth nothing more than being shown off by a man?

Disgusting.

Purefear
15-08-2008, 16:47
It's good to see ****-poor journalism, reliant on minimal research, mediocre puns and outdated and cliched stereotyping is still alive, well and championed by smug, slutty, overweight blondes whose high-flying careers are well and truly down the toilet since their arrest in 2004 for supply cocaine...

Touché slutface

This made my day, I haven't laughed that hard since I saw an eight year old yob with those wheely shoes crash into the wine isle in Tesco.

Yes I know I need to get out more.

Shamfrit
15-08-2008, 16:59
This made my day, I haven't laughed that hard since I saw an eight year old yob with those wheely shoes crash into the wine isle in Tesco.

Yes I know I need to get out more.

ROFLCOPTER.

I'm sorry, but that would absolutely make me howl with laughter for hours, no, day, and possibly give me mild after chuckles for weeks and months afterwards.

What is it about this site? How come people are so easy to offend, yet we're all happy to play with sick and twisted daemonic naked daemons, puss ridden monsters and zombies and skeletons in their abundance? :confused:

I must be missing something, musn't it? It's a harmless (shock horror) and badly taste ridden video that has humour, at least for some of us and to be frank, anyone who does find it offensive must only be doing so because they know there is truth reflected in it, and the truth is the most powerful weapon of all.

Heru Talon
15-08-2008, 17:59
ROFLCOPTER.

You did not just say that (pay attention to the very last bit)! (http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-ruin-xbox-live-for-everyone-else)

Shamfrit
15-08-2008, 18:35
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2868489#post2868489

This is what made me do it.

I watched it, but which bit?

---

And again, that video only further heightens stereotypes, this time, Warseer ones :D

Used Car Salesman
15-08-2008, 20:12
Yeah this video was somewhat offensive, but more annoying than anything. I found it somewhat amusing that she only talked about(made fun of) WFB and had a Battle for Macragge box on the table. All things considered this vid was just plain stupid.

CasperTheGhost
15-08-2008, 21:24
Someone please post that Marquis comment on the video - i want to see their reaction.

Your wish is done :D:evilgrin:

Edit: :( It won't work :cries:

Casper

catbarf
16-08-2008, 02:59

I couldn't resist.

Sikkukkut
16-08-2008, 04:42
I notice that now she says "World of Warcraft" there's a popup caption by her head that says "okay, sorry, I didn't mean "Warcraft", it was a dubbing mistake, don't get so uptight".

Muad'Dib
16-08-2008, 05:30
I find the video anything but offensive.
It is just plainly well....not funny. I'm still not sure if the stock investment data she was putting forward was real or not - is the whole video supposed to be a joke ? If this is supposed to informative, why insert idiotic humour in between every piece of information.
There is nothing wrong in laughing from stereotypes...but the quality of the video (puns, presentation, sound) left me speechless.

Master Stark
16-08-2008, 06:02
Decidely unfunny. Investors are going to be turned off by a video like that, and GW customers are only going to be offended. Who is that video aimed at?

Because we belong to the collective, we believe we have a certain right to poke fun at ourselves. When someone else does it, it's just being rude, even if it's true.

Apocalypse
16-08-2008, 06:38
Bah, this woman is a cocaine addict who obviously doesn't take her job seriously enough to do any research... Her career went down the drain as a result of her conviction and now she's poking fun at imaginary uber-geeks.

Ozorik
16-08-2008, 09:23
Who is to say that she did her own research? Maybe she is just the presenter.

Some of the rage exhibited in this thread makes me smile. Its a low quality video clip from a TV station(?) Ive never even heard of, so what?

Incidentaly she was accused of possessing cocaine but as no charges were brought there obviously wasnt that much of a case to answer.

Trench_Raider
16-08-2008, 12:57
A few random comments:

she's a ****!

heh.
I have to agree. The first thing I did notice about the video was that she was an attractive lady...at least to my tastes.

By the by, (and I risk branding myself as a multi-genre geek here) but doesn't she sound just like the woman who did the voice acting for the tutorial in the "Rome, Total War" game?

So seriously now, none of you know a GW Player who'se slightly overweight, geeky, has bad BO and is single?

Nooo, didn't think so...

Stereotypes are always generalised from the truth, even if it is a small demographic truth that has been, well, stereotyped. If Yahtzee had done this in a video format you'd all have wet your socks off, patted one another on the back, and gone down to your local to have a pint of Pedigree and snort endlessly about it.

Quoted for truth.
I've long said that all stereotypes have some basis in reality if you hapen to dig deep enough. That's how they become steretypes in the first place. While one should not make decisions and judgements from stereotypes alone, they can be a handy sort of "short hand" in some cases.

Finally...

Why does she objectify women by saying girlfriends are accessories?

Does she believe as a woman she is worth nothing more than being shown off by a man?

Disgusting.

Did you forget to add your /sarcasm tag to this post are are you really taking her "girlfriends as accessories" comment seriously? Please tell me it's the former.

TR

Duke Georgal
17-08-2008, 00:15
That was probably used as light hearted filler in a financial broadcast. No big deal.

Wintermute
17-08-2008, 08:31
I think this thread has out lived its usefulness.

Thread Closed

Wintermute