PDA

View Full Version : Breaking the necron... how would it work?

etancross
14-08-2008, 19:18
Here is something I had been wondering about for a bit, when a necron is shot/blown/hacked apart and falls to the ground. When the NL uses his res orb and brings him back how exactly does this work? By that I mean would the necron’s skeleton be like a T-800 (I believe) from the movie terminator where the joints of the terminator are made to mimic that of a human? Or would it be a little different and the joints be magnetic and just drawn back to the body or to its correct space?

On that note what if the arm or let was severed in the middle of a section itself (say mid shin or mid forearm) would it still put itself back together? If so would a necron be more like a T-1000 and be able to mend itself where ever?

What made me think if this is I was trying to picture what would happen if stay a necron warrior’s shoulder or knee was blown apart and the join itself was completely ruined, could it fix itself or would it just b

sydbridges
14-08-2008, 19:36
Here is something I had been wondering about for a bit, when a necron is shot/blown/hacked apart and falls to the ground. When the NL uses his res orb and brings him back how exactly does this work? By that I mean would the necron’s skeleton be like a T-800 (I believe) from the movie terminator where the joints of the terminator are made to mimic that of a human? Or would it be a little different and the joints be magnetic and just drawn back to the body or to its correct space?

On that note what if the arm or let was severed in the middle of a section itself (say mid shin or mid forearm) would it still put itself back together? If so would a necron be more like a T-1000 and be able to mend itself where ever?

What made me think if this is I was trying to picture what would happen if stay a necron warrior’s shoulder or knee was blown apart and the join itself was completely ruined, could it fix itself or would it just b

Warning: The following post reveals the presence of Necrons in three books, and in one of those books, their presence is a surprise at the end.

Well, in the second DoW novel, the Necrons are described as forming out of a flow of molten metal during an eruption, so it could be that they can reform like the T-1000. In the Cain novels, the Necrons that get back up immediately don't self repair if they have any damage, so presumably the only ones that are getting up are the ones which don't have damage to the limbs, and full repairs are only done inside the Tombs. And in Dark Apostle, the Necron Lord is described as being formed by many small metallic beetles, and if the necrons work like that, it could just be that the not-destroyed beetles all rearrange, fixing the broken parts.

...Rumors that I go looking for books with the Necrons in them are highly exaggerated yet completely true.

So, to answer your question, under what conditions a necron can get up and how or if they can self-repair damage depends on what author is writing them.

DapperAnarchist
15-08-2008, 13:35
As might well make sense - remember, there isn't one faceless mass of Necron. Each C'Tan (and now Herald, apparently.) provided its own followers with their new bodies. So, the deceiver's Necrons might need fully functioning limbs, and just stick the joints together, while the void dragons armies could simply reform like a t-1000, or the Replicators in SG1.

Emperor's Grace
15-08-2008, 15:19
Well, in the second DoW novel, the Necrons are described as forming out of a flow of molten metal during an eruption

That kind of makes weird sense in that Monoliths are kind of volcano shaped...

HereticLosMorte
15-08-2008, 18:51
as far as i know, the necron bodies are made out of self replicating metals, which can make new forms out of themselves when acted upon by an energy/power source (necron res orb)

Faustburg
15-08-2008, 19:27
One thing to remember is that they are not mechanical robots, they are aliens formed by living (or "undead" whatever rocks your boat) metal.

Even if they get back up, they are likely not as new anymore, and will need further repairs after the battle to be fully recovered, but from a game perspective it doesn't matter...

Look at it like this; A passed WBB roll is a Necron still limping menacingly towards the enemy, or even crawling Terminator style without legs, while a failed is him taking to much punishment and needing major Tomb Spider attention back in the Tomb workshops.

heretics bane
15-08-2008, 21:01
Didnt Ferrusmanus not drown a c'tan in lava? so how could the nercrodermis still survive being in the middle of a volcano?

As for defeating them, go to the eldar they knowhow to fight them.

You could build the shield thing that was on lorn 5 that made the necrons think there was a large eldar presence still on the planet so they didnt get up.

Curufew
16-08-2008, 17:46
What happen if you conduct an exterminatus on a Tomb World? They did that a lot of times in the fluff but they do not say what are the results.

Do all the occupants of the Tomb World get destroyed ?

heretics bane
16-08-2008, 17:52
Most likely just teleport away or just down get destroyed at all because there so deep down nothing short of blowing the planet into an asteroid belf would makke sure there dead or away.

Goq Gar
16-08-2008, 19:31
You'd have to utterly destroy the planet into dust, then burn the dust, on a planet where the necrons havent even BEGUN to wake up.

Fire Harte
17-08-2008, 00:53
Destroying a planet would require huge, huge huge amounts of force, off the scale infact, I don't think a 'cron tomb world could survive that.

StarshipBOb
17-08-2008, 01:10
Didnt Ferrusmanus not drown a c'tan in lava?

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a C'tan. The "Great Silver Wyrm" sounds eerily like a Necron Wraith; the term wyrm is better translated into serpent rather than dragon. Anyway, if the critter Ferrus killed by drowning in lava was a Necron, then it shows Necrodermis has the ability to shift from solid to liquid and the final product of said shifting is based on what it was in contact last. In theory, bits of a critcally wounded Necron could turn into goo, touch a servo or other part and reconstruct itself into said servo/part.

Anyway it's only a theory.