PDA

View Full Version : Death Watch .... colours..

daa6
14-08-2008, 19:39
Hi Warseers,

Well hope this is not a No Brainer, but could you help me with some answers...

:confused: :confused:

Death Watch space marines retain their chapter colours on only one shoulder pad?!

but, does the chapter symbol move to their right as the DW shoulder pad, and "its symbol" goes onto their Left shoulder...?

as not to offend the armours machine spirit, and their chapter

Also the rest of their armour is Black and "Boltgun Metal" ?

and although marine are drafted from all chapters, are they drafted from some more than others? are any not at all?

think thats all, Thanks for your help!

(tried to set this up before a slept.... just didn't work :mad: )

funny thought though, DW KILL TEAM, couldn't actually be used under the Kill Team rules, without breaking some... makes little sence.. :wtf:

Shadowphrakt
14-08-2008, 19:45
They retain their chapter badge on their right shoulder, and their left shoulder pad is the Deathwatch one, with the right arm eing silver.

AfroCelt
14-08-2008, 20:19
As a fellow Deathwatch general I welcome you.

Here's a great resource at seeing what they mean: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Deathwatch
Notice that he entire body is black, with (from our positions) the left shoulder retaining chapter color scheme and signs. The other shoulder has the Deathwatch symbol on it and the right (from our position) is painted boltgun metal, with highlights of mithril etc.

If you're having trouble freepainting the Deathwatch symbol, you can do a couple things:
1. Simply get the deathwatch conversion kit and use the shoulders for squad leaders only (it's what I do...I'm cheap)
2. http://www.thewarstore.com/product27126.html . Close to a Deathwatch shoulder, though I've never handled them.

hope this helps

EDIT: They tend to get recruits from codex chapters more, but I'm betting anyone who wants to volunteer will be taken.

Lord Inquisitor
14-08-2008, 20:24
Death Watch space marines retain their chapter colours on only one shoulder pad?!

but, does the chapter symbol move to their right as the DW shoulder pad, and "its symbol" goes onto their Left shoulder...?
Yep. Chapter symbol on right, deathwatch pad on left arm.

and although marine are drafted from all chapters, are they drafted from some more than others? are any not at all?
Undoubtably. Only those Chapters that maintain pacts with the Ordo Xenos send in Marines, and it appears to be at nominally voluntary (so they're not drafted, they volunteer).

Templar Ben
14-08-2008, 20:33
My understanding was that the Black Templar do not send marines and that is the fluff reason that Black Templars cannot use Death Watch (real reason being game balance).

daa6
14-08-2008, 20:40
Thankyou all for the replies, and greeting to you AfroCelt.

will look at those links 2. ! Thanks

so what combo have you found that best suits the DW?

CC, Range or a balance of the 2 ?

Which are the chapters that "voluntier" ?

remember reading somewhere that the =][= pick, marines and request that they join and that its an honour to joint the DW..

daa6
14-08-2008, 20:41
so there are Chapters that DONT/Cant join the DW..?

Templar Ben
14-08-2008, 20:52
Well by Fluff I think anyone can but by the rules you can only use Codex Space Marines to either include a Kill Team or to mix Death Watch vets into your squads.

AfroCelt
14-08-2008, 20:54
so what combo have you found that best suits the DW?

For simplicity I've been playing them as codex marines...it makes sense and makes getting pickup games easier. When I do feel crazy I give them Preferred Enemy: Xenos (roll all 5 into one!) for +5 points a model....it makes them great at cc, but really cuts into the number you can field.

CC, Range or a balance of the 2 ?

I tend to go balanced simply because my other two armies are far on either end. As with ultramarines you can play them any which way you want.

Which are the chapters that "volunteer" ?

I made mine out of... Smurfs, Black Templars, Salamanders, Imperial Fists, etc...I have the symbols from almost all the active first foundings, as well as a smattering of the rest....that lexicanum link has a ton of chapters to grab.For ease of mind, try starting out with only the chapters on the transfer sheets....really simple and it still works!

Khornies & milk
14-08-2008, 20:58
so there are Chapters that DONT/Cant join the DW..?

From a Fluff perspective there may be some Chapters that won't allow any of their Chapter to do a stint in the Deathwatch, and I've heard that SW's are one of these, although GW specifically name them as a Chapter where volunteers do in fact come from.

from a purely modelling perspective I say have whatever Chapter you want in your DW. Bear in mind that to represent a diverse range of Chapters you're probably going to have to go the Forge World route to get the Shoulder Pads.

daa6
14-08-2008, 21:06
Forgeworld would be a cool option..... though think i will stick to transfers and hand paint "if i can".

DA, an option you think, "have a shoulder pad" ;)

Lord Inquisitor
14-08-2008, 21:16
I don't think there are any Chapters explicitly mentioned that never send Marines into the Deathwatch. Certainly there are examples of Dark Angels and Space Wolves. (There was a rule that only Codex armies may field a DWKT, that doesn't mean members of those Chapters may not be members ofthe Deathwatch.)

That said, it would be unlikely to see a Black Templar in the Deathwatch. Deathwatch are required to do many missions that go beyond simply attacking the enemy (capturing specimens alive,for example) and Black Templars are too fantatical for them to be good Kill Team members. Not to mention needing to work closely with Librarians!

It should be noted that it is possible that Chapters may use the Deathwatch as a way of getting rid of 'troublesome' Marines. Ones that ask too many questions or perhaps attain a rank of Captain but for any reason are not in command of a Company - these can be sent off to the Deathwatch where they can't cause the Chapter any more problems. Either they return with valuble experience, or they die with honour on an alien battlefield.

daa6
14-08-2008, 21:30
Thank, ALL GOOD stuff ! keep it comin! : D

what "set up" have all of you used for your DWKT ? or what works ? and do you use a Transport ? Size of Team ?

I know questions, questions,

cant help myself..... you people know to much : D

Thanks for all the feed back.

Fangschrecken
14-08-2008, 21:37
Now, if you want, and i'll probably get boobed for mentioning this but, there is a series of books on the deathwatch, by CS "multilasers" Goto. Assuming the fact that ALL black library publications are canon, yes even his.
If I correctly recall, the crimson fists are noted for having a high induction rate, might be lower after they got mostly blown up, also the Mantis WArriors are supposed to have had a high induciton rate, atleast before the Badab war, and getting hit with a penitant crussade. And as far as i know every chapeter is eligable.

I personaly field a small squad from time to time. I take a pair of the special heavy bolters, mostly because i can still advance without loosing firepower. also to screw with people i gave a bolter wielding guy Black Templar insignia, it utterly perplexes some people.

A though occurs, what would happen to a deathwatch marine, whose chapter had turned rogue, while he was off kidnapping Xenos? That would realy suck.

daa6
14-08-2008, 22:29
Fangschrecken : also to screw with people i gave a bolter wielding guy Black Templar insignia, it utterly perplexes some people.

LOL !!

Ok, not how you quote, but had to be repeeted :D

yeah could imagine it know, arriving from a mission a year or two long, with gun servitors waiting on arrival with random Inquisitor, please space marine of the ----- Chapter come this way.....

Interigation anyone...... :eek:

probably be put on Another mission, then Another, then ANOTHER, "never know might not catch on.....

rodmillard
15-08-2008, 13:33
I'm working on a deathwatch expansion for my Inquisition forces - basically taking an =I= Lord, a couple of units of STs and then adding a kill team and inducted space marines in DW colours (since that's basically what the DW are!)

In theory, marines from any chapter can join the deathwatch, although if you're fielding a force on this scale it makes sense to deploy your individual marines where they excel, and to keep marines from the same chapter together. Thus, so far I have 2 inducted tactical squads (imperial fists & Smurfs) an inducted bike squadron (whitescars), and a kill team made up of marines from different chapters - although I'm trying to stick to 1st founding as much as possible.

Feor
15-08-2008, 14:18
I use power weapon on my Brother Captain, 2 Veterans with Heavy Bolters, and either Hellfire or Kraken Ammo on the rest of the squad (depending on if I'm planning to out-shoot my opponent or out-chop them)