PDA

View Full Version : How many calories does the average Space Marine eat?

Overt_Spy
14-08-2008, 19:54
So, I just came across this article about the 12,000 calorie diet of Michael Phelps (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/aug/14/michaelphelps.swimming1) and got me thinking, how many calories would you reckon a Space Marine has to consume per day? I mean, they're more athletic than he is, constantly train for battle or they actually are in battle, they're 8 feet tall, and probably have a far more efficient metabolism due to genetic modifications and implants. Geez, I never really thought about it, but Space Marines would have to eat a lot, like a whole lot! :eek:

What do you think?

Any nutritionists in the building?

MvS
14-08-2008, 20:25
Interesting question.

Bearing in mind that Phelps is at the pinnacle of fitness for a 'normal' human who excersises strenuously every day, what about Marines who are seven feet tall at least, who are literally made of muscle and who train even more than Phelps because after all Phelps still has a 'normal' human physiology?

Perhaps three times as many calories as Phelps? More?

Then again, perhaps the engineered physiology of Marines means that they are supremely efficient and so store and use energy without needing quite the same sort of regular massive amount of calorie intake as 'normal' humans who might try to emulate them.

That said, I like the idea of Marines having special ration bars that don't look like much, but which would be entirely toxic to any non-Marine who tried to eat them, because of the complex minerals and vitamins and of course because of the thousands of calories in every bite...

Col. Tartleton
14-08-2008, 20:30
Based on a calorie calculator, a highly active 8 ft 760 lb (my random estimate based on Andre the giant who was about a foot less and weighed about 540) 20 year old (based on athleticism) comes to about 12000 calories as well. However using similar standards he'd be horribly obese (not really, just jacked as ****) and burn 16000 a day assuming he functioned like a human. So anywhere from 10-20k based on how good you assume their systems are at getting energy from calories efficiently.

A marine can digest more efficiently, but they also have a lot more bodily functions to fuel like regeneration of cells and filtering toxins. Not to mention that although they are extremely strong out of armor, most of their abilities come from the mechanized amplification caused by PA. So being a marine wouldn't be that hard, because the armor does most of the light lifting automatically, and then magnifies your strength when things get harder.

I'm not a doctor though... just a teenager who wants to try to eat like Phelps... God he is the man. I thought he was a respectable super athlete before, but this fact alone makes him all that is man.

MvS
14-08-2008, 20:39
Re. Phelps, THAT'S why he's THE Olympian.

Sure he admits he has no life beyond eating, training and sleeping, but then agauin he lives for his sport 100% and simply can't be touched by the competition. You make the biggest sacrifice you get the biggest reward I guess.

Loyal Marines have absolutely no life beyond fighting in the most difficult and extreme circumstances, or training to fight in the most difficult and extreme circumstances. They are also genetically altered, extra-organed, hormonally unique giants. :)

heretics bane
14-08-2008, 21:25
A marine also eats like a super protein in order for his huge bones to grow and maintain themselves. Not to mention the fact that there pretty much constantly active and their metabolism is incredible due to all the drug in takes.

So to be able to live healthly and be able to train and fight round the clock maybe some where in the region of 15000 calories a day followed with roughly 3 kilos of pure awesome carbs just to be able to get up in the morning. This is just me speculating as i am not a nutrionalist, but i do play competive rugby so i know what big guys eat to stay on top.

Sure dont marines ingest the memories off everything they eat:confused: so would they not end up thinking there a piece of grain or if they eat a Kola bear they sleep 23 hours a day up a eucalyptus tree awakening only to eat.:wtf:

Glabro
15-08-2008, 01:47
Quite interesting. We do eat they quaff down nutrient paste on the field (and probably during training / garrison too, (except of course Space Wolves who consume prodigous amounts of game and mead during their feasts!) so the question is just how much you can concentrate such stuff? Marines could probably eat rocks too if it had any value, so nothing will be a problem for their system.

Oh, and as for Phelps, dang...if they only would have had six different kinds of endurance running events in the games during Paavo Nurmi's days... :)

icegreentea
15-08-2008, 02:24
A marine also eats like a super protein in order for his huge bones to grow and maintain themselves. Not to mention the fact that there pretty much constantly active and their metabolism is incredible due to all the drug in takes.

So to be able to live healthly and be able to train and fight round the clock maybe some where in the region of 15000 calories a day followed with roughly 3 kilos of pure awesome carbs just to be able to get up in the morning. This is just me speculating as i am not a nutrionalist, but i do play competive rugby so i know what big guys eat to stay on top.

Sure dont marines ingest the memories off everything they eat:confused: so would they not end up thinking there a piece of grain or if they eat a Kola bear they sleep 23 hours a day up a eucalyptus tree awakening only to eat.:wtf:

1gram of carbs = 4 calories
3 kilos of carbs would be like 12000 calories.
But since it's pure awesome carbs, its probably like 20000 carbs.
If your constantly training and fighting you need your fat and protein. Space Marines probably eat some sort of nutritional tasteless slurry for optimal digestion and absorption. Fine food is the first step towards Slaneesh worship! Stay clean! Only foods with taste value of -10 or lower is good enough for the Emperor's Finest.

weissengel86
15-08-2008, 04:13
like has been said before space marines probably eat special nutrient paste or bars simply to function. Space marine caloric intake should be at least twice as much as the most physically active person who exists. The special organs the space marines and the massive bulk and skeletal structure would double or triple the caloric intake thart a normal extremely fit person would take. I remember reading that space marines can effectively march at double time for many many hours maybe even several days. The calorie intake required for a suped up body and very extreme physical regimen would suggest at least 20k plus calories required.

Koryphaus
15-08-2008, 04:24
if they eat a Kola bear they sleep 23 hours a day up a eucalyptus tree awakening only to eat.:wtf:

There's no bear in Koala, but if they did eat one, that wouldn't hurt them. They just turn half their brain off for 23 hours a day. Plus they'd be even better fighters then, because 1-1 a koala can kill a Dobermann.

slaanghoul
15-08-2008, 04:48
Does SM produce solid and liquid waste like normal person also? If they eat 20k Cal a day .. . that's a lot of waste. BTW - how do they go to the bath room in their power armor or T-armor? Do they have to remove it or is there a special "pocket" that contain it all.... so they can just wear their armor for days and never have to remove it.

Apologist
15-08-2008, 09:29
The nutritional and execretory habits of Space Marines are pretty hazy, and tend to get treated with a little 'handwavium' in the background. If you want to rationalise it, I'd imagine that we can say that in peacetime (i.e. between battles!) an astartes will consume a large amount of calories – let's say 20,000 per day, as a fairly 'superhuman' sort of number.

Now, that sounds like a massively high number for us; and presumably with regular food, it'd mean that marines spend hours eating every day. Let's say that technology in the far future means that fortress monasteries can generally get hold of superfoods that are small in bulk but high in calories, proteins and vitamins (exactly what we see in the nutritional pastes etc. mentioned here and there).

This would also mean that marines don't need massive 'baggage trains' (which is supported by the current fluff); and that sufficient food for extended campaigns could be stored in the backpack.

It should also be borne in mind that power armour could massively reduce the calorie output of a Space Marine, by reducing the load on his muscles, providing a near-constant temperature and monitoring his vital systems. This would mean that an astartes wearing battle plate might only need 10,000 calories, or even less – making that stored calorie paste last longer.

Power armour is also said to recycle waste – so water and minerals lost through unavoidable metabolic processes can be reclaimed from urine, stools and sweat – allowing the marine to last all the longer unsupplied.

The metabolism of a marine ought to be taken into account as well. We presume that in addition to being very powerful, marines' bodies are very efficient. Thanks to the haemastemen, their blood is 'considerably more efficient than a regular man'; which we can take to mean that metabolic transport uses less calories.

Note has been made of the control they have over their bodies; so we can presume that virtually all nutrition that is consumed is utilised, leaving very little waste. Marines are also able to gain calories from virtually any source, owing to the combination of their preomnor, oolitic kidney, enhanced regular kidneys and liver, and neuroglottis; which allow them to draw energy from pretty much anything organic – or even things like coal!

Assuming that a marine is (for whatever reason) stuck without support or resupply, and that he has no remaining supplies in his pack; I'd argue that he will be able to fight effectively almost indefinitely as long as he has his armour and a supply of liquid – even poisonous liquid, as long as it contains water of some type.

The Black Carapace of a marine has benefits when combined with power armour; allowing the marine to directly monitor himself – perhaps they can force their metabolism down? Mention has been made of their self-control and hypnosuggestion, so if the worst comes to the worst, a marine can activate his sus-an membrane and survive until retrieved.

Ikkaan
15-08-2008, 09:47
On the contrary...a marine won´t get fat, no matter how long he´s chomping bacon and fries. At least i would expect that from their superior genes. Maybe its possible for some chapters to design a rather unhealthy diet to have them build up a thin layer of fat to resist cold environments (i.e. space sharks).

Nurgle Marines may be an exception as they are often portrayed as having rather bulky armor around the waist, father nurgle may actually have changed them to enjoy gluttony.

heretics bane
15-08-2008, 12:25
Thats because their basicly dead and why you die gasses in your body swell up causing the bodie to bloat up.

Ah so their is no bear in kola then...

Sai-Lauren
15-08-2008, 12:57
Firstly, Marines are seven feet tall, not eight.

It is something I have commented on, a Marine would have to have a high calorie diet, simply to stop his metabolism from starting to digest itself, not to mention that they wouldn't really have much fat on them at all. But, some of their implants will make their metabolism more efficient, so they won't need as much as you think - but they'll still need a lot.

So, for a marine sat in the fortress-monastary in a normal training regime, probably 6000-8000 calories a day, in combat, probably 12000-15000, most of which they'll take intravenously from their suits. And marines wouldn't fight constantly anyway, they'd normally be deployed for a short firefight (up to 30 minutes), and then either redeployed by transport to another warzone (and on the way, they'll probably catnap to allow for self-healing, lactic acid to be removed from their muscles and processed and to save energy), or back to a support facility (HQ, orbiting spacecraft etc).

A marine's diet would probably be lots of fruit and veg, with plenty of meat (including fowl and seafood, if they can get it), cheeses and starchy foods - potatoes, rice, pasta and so on, washed down with high-fat milk (no wimpy semi-skimmed for these guys, in fact, throw a pound of lard in as well and stir it around ;) ), high sugar fruit juices and the like - all including dietary supplements and any additional drugs the apothecarion think should be given. The ceremonial feasts would also help, by providing a regularly scheduled large intake (as well as reinforcing the chapters religion).

Does SM produce solid and liquid waste like normal person also? If they eat 20k Cal a day .. . that's a lot of waste. BTW - how do they go to the bath room in their power armor or T-armor? Do they have to remove it or is there a special "pocket" that contain it all.... so they can just wear their armor for days and never have to remove it.

The suits contain recycling, which presumably also includes something like a dialysis machine. As for the solid wastes, presumably they get given something to purge their large intestine - and possibly their whole digestive tract - whilst on their way to the warzone (otherwise you'd get some medical complications if they simply took something and started blocking up), or the suit also has a tube which connects in and can handle the solid waste, recycling anything that's still usable, and compacting the rest down for disposal.

And if most of what they consume in the field is liquids/pastes, then it'll be absorbed with very little to pass into the large intestine.

Nurgle marines - don't forget that malnutrition can also give the appearance of a distended belly.

DapperAnarchist
15-08-2008, 13:34
That paste is also packed full of calcium and iron and other metals - not for the blood, but for the bones. Marine skeletons contain internal structures of iron as well as the calcium.

Glabro
15-08-2008, 13:55
A marine's diet would probably be lots of fruit and veg etc etc

Get real. Do you really see marines eating anything but nutrient paste or manly feast food (for some)?

Fruit, veg and pasta, ha ha.

Eckshale
15-08-2008, 14:11
Get real. Do you really see marines eating anything but nutrient paste or manly feast food (for some)?

He's got a point there.

And besides, i'm betting they are kept dehydrated and nourished through IV whilst in combat to keep them focused on the battle at all times.

And when the battle is won they can enjoy some prime feasting if that is their chapter tradition.

Sai-Lauren
15-08-2008, 14:39
That paste is also packed full of calcium and iron and other metals - not for the blood, but for the bones. Marine skeletons contain internal structures of iron as well as the calcium.

???
No - simply because next, people will be saying they're like Wolverine, with Adamantium around their bones, and are therefore "teh uber-hard and stuph" (and that's ignoring things like what happens to iron in the body - here's a hint, the main metals used for replacement joints and so on are expensive ones like Titanium, and surgical-grade Steels - and it isn't to earn the surgeons a percentage of the profits).

And, to my knowledge, that's never been in any of the fluff. Besides which, iron isn't actually that good structurally in thin cross-section pieces, which you'd need for them to go into the bones.

Yes I do - there's a whole cadre of chapter serfs and so on to deal with the supplies, cooking, laundry and so on.

The paste and stuff would be consumed whilst on campaign, where volume is limited, but, unlike Robocop, they've still got a full digestive system, and living on that stuff for too long would start to cause problems, especially when they do have a feast and all the marines start throwing it all up again because they're not used to solid foods, their stomachs have shrunk and their bodies simply can't handle digesting proper food any more.

They also still need vitamins, minerals and so on, and it's a lot easier for the chapter serfs to cook up a huge batch of brocolli, spinach etc and serve it to the marines on a plate with half a side of pork or something, than it is to cook it up and then liquidize it along with everything else, concentrate it down and stuff it into paste tubes and ration bar moulds.
And then serve it up to the marines, and also go dumpster diving to recycle the old paste tubes.

And fruit is actually a very good source of vitamins, minerals and sugars. It wouldn't surprise me for a marine to have a minute break from training whilst their instructor told them something they needed to do, gulp some water, munch through an apple (probably core included) and then get straight back into it.

Do you really think the Space Wolves have a massive elk and ale p***-up every Friday night and live on squeezy tubes of meat paste the rest of the time?

You're telling me to get real? The most real thing is to do the simple thing because it is the simplest thing, not the most complicated thing just because you can.

vladsimpaler
15-08-2008, 15:08

Knights in the middle ages just went to the bathroom in their suits, so I would suspect that it would be something like this.

Maybe kind of like an astronaut suit.

Chaplain Dionitas
15-08-2008, 15:15
An MRE Has roughly 3000 + calories in it. The reason being is that when you're in the field you're going to burn those need calories off quickly. This is the average soldierr we're talking about here. So if you ate three MRE's a day that around 9000 + calories. Ballpark figures here folks. My guess would be Space Marines would need to consume much more than that as they are much much more active than the average guardsman.

Goruax
15-08-2008, 21:39
On the subject of the Omophagea (the organ which allows absorption of memories through eating things) - it allows the Marine to acquire some of the memories of the original being, if they want.
This doesn't mean they become that creature, they can 'remember' (or just, member?) things which it has done/though, etc.

I researched the Omophagea, because my chapter has mutated ones which cause 'prophetic' visions...

Glabro
18-08-2008, 14:13
Sai, I apologize if I offended you.

Anyway, the point is, even though it makes perfect sense that that marines would eat healthily eat a variety of contemporary food,
the thing is that this is Warhammer 40k, where nothing much makes sense.

The common people live on gruel and produce from Agri-worlds is at a premium, and even then the thing that is imported the most by far is flour (for transportation and storage reasons).

The marines are usually depicted as ascetic, gothic warrior monks who subsist very....ascetically. Their image simply doesn't allow for happy and healthy meals.

Anyway, as this is dealt by handwaviness in the fluff, everything we say here is opinion and everyone is entitled to his own.

The_Warsmith
18-08-2008, 14:45
in the middle ages the wealpthy upper classes ate meat all the time and saw fruit and veg as the food of the poor, maybe as warrior monks space marines eat a fairly simple diet of vegtables and some meats

Lord Dante
18-08-2008, 15:37
Has anyone considered that SM might have thier calorie and vitamin intake controlled by thier power armour or perhaps another organ in the body that produces what the SM needs as and when?

Perhaps they dont even eat - perhaps any waste produced is recycled back into a filter system in the power armour etc...

I dunno, u could make up improbablt science for it all day, they are SPACE MARINES after all with super human organs and what not...

imperial_scholar
19-08-2008, 06:00
The short answer
0 to many-many

0 because marines can go days without eating even without the aid of their power armour

many-many because I think the Space Wolf Fluff alone implies that marines can easily drink a keg of beer and eat a quarter to a half a deer.

Then get into weird genetic deviances such as the big guy from the Ragnar novels... and you can see the crazy numbers coming into play.

Joe Kutz
19-08-2008, 07:22
A while back, there was a fluff article posted on the GW website. I am not sure if it is still there, but I had saved it when I first read it (the temporary nature of the internet and all).

1300 Midday Meal
The Space Marines partake of their first sustenance of the day at this juncture. Frequently this will be a substance inedible to ordinary humans or a local lifeform which is hunted and slain during the morning battle practice.

2100 Evening Meal
The evening meal is a more sedate affair than that at midday, with a substantial repast provided by the Chapter's serfs under the watchful eye of the Lord of the Household. Substantial quantities of protein rich food are made available, particularly to the younger brethren. Indulgent Chapter Masters may even permit the brethren to partake of alcoholic beverages at this time if the day's activities have been expertly done.

It goes on to cover how the rest of the day is handled when not in combat - 13+ hours of combat training. That is actual combat activities - class room studies are handled outside of the actual combat training. They only "sleep" for 4 hours a day - and that isn't really sleep due to the various chemicals and the Catalepscan Node...which allows them to rest half their brain at a time.

As far as how many calories are actually required, any real world comparisons will be entirely speculation - the drugs and genetic engineering would make the metabolism of a Space Marine significantly different from normal humans.

As mentioned the genetic freak which is Phelps consumes 12,000 calories per day during training season. Another which is perhaps a bit more Space Marine like - Lou Ferrigno (6'5" , 315 lbs, 4% bodyfat) - consumes around 8,000 calories per day during training season (more protein, fewer carbs due to higher strength and less aerobic activity). While Space Marines are probably pretty quick, I don't think they spend much time on the treadmill.

Another data point which might be of interest would be that of a tiger. They consume around 15 pounds of meat per day. Depending on what in particular they managed to get - that puts their intake around 18,000 calories. While the Space Marines daily routine is a bit more active than your average tiger...there mass and makeup probably aren't too far off.

Sai-Lauren
19-08-2008, 08:47
Another data point which might be of interest would be that of a tiger. They consume around 15 pounds of meat per day. Depending on what in particular they managed to get - that puts their intake around 18,000 calories. While the Space Marines daily routine is a bit more active than your average tiger...there mass and makeup probably aren't too far off.

Tiger's, like most of the big cats, also don't eat every day in the wild, that 18,000 calories may have to last them three or four days.

Joe Kutz
19-08-2008, 15:31
No - they eat between 40-60 lbs every 3 to 4 days. Averaged out it was around 15 pounds per day.

StarshipBOb
19-08-2008, 17:59
The closest person I could think of as being a Space Marine would be Dalip Singh Rana, or the Great Khali. Suffice to say he's 7'3, 420 pounds and a wrestler with a whole smackload of muscle. Anyway he eats the following per day:

5 Liters of Milk
2-3 Kilograms of chicken
0.5-1 kg of dry fruits
25-30 Roti with Daal and Sabji.

That's about 12,200 calories give or take using online charts.

Adra
19-08-2008, 19:08
This reminds me of a kid in our local GW...i call him Thanquol....the store was at a vets night all joking about about what it would take to make a space marine to crap himself.
Thanquol just made a large farting sounds and said "Oh hell, im gonna have to eat that in an hour!"

All i know for sure is even a space marine would develop instant heart disease if he ate two Subways....

a squig
30-01-2009, 11:18
all the above points, point to the need high calorie intake and with no or little fat on extended operation they will get alot weaker. According to various sources marines can eat just about anything.

Hager from the space wolfs trillogy trys to eat everything from trees insects to rats. which may help the intake iam not sure the current calories content of a rat :)

LemanRuss
30-01-2009, 12:35
don't forget.
a moment on the lips, forever on the hips

DemolishedMan
31-01-2009, 10:56

Made me almost fall out of my chair laughing. :D

Imperialis_Dominatus
31-01-2009, 16:00
don't forget.
a moment on the lips, forever on the hips

"Does this armor make my butt look big? Am I gaining weight?"

Rockerfella
31-01-2009, 16:16
Yeah....

"Does my **** look big in this armour?"
"No dear, your **** looks big in everything, because it is big".

Col. Tartleton
31-01-2009, 16:25
I like the fat marine in Wolfblade with the disordered geneseed, Hagar? That dude was the best. Epitome of a viking. Fat gut, big mustaches, long hair, eats babies and the rest of your household, wields a warhammer. That's how space wolves should be, bloated like a plague marine, bloodthirsty as a beserker, lusty and gluttonous as a noise marine, cunnin' as a Rubric...? All bad ass, all the time.

Shibboleth
31-01-2009, 16:37
I say 40,000.

Tehkonrad
31-01-2009, 21:23
I always imagine space marines eating things like:
an entire pod of killer whales, sauteed in wine, deep fried.

WhiteKnight
31-01-2009, 23:21

They probably have a woman come over and open a hatch and make them poop in a tray like in south Park when the kid was playing WoW. As for pee....I think they probably just let it happen whenever they want.

Ielnar
31-01-2009, 23:47
I wonder if Space Marines just have huge feast days so that they will gain some fat. When they are on operations they can't eat as much so they accrue large stores of fat. Maybe some chapters just organise an excess of calories in the food for a while but with the nature of the Space Marinebeing rapid deployment and not necessarily being able to guarantee the time to slowly put on the weight, they have for recently returned companies feast days. This is the time when they have to look over the effectiveness of what they did, take stock of what they gains and lost, dish out the medals and probably do a number of logistical things. They also use this chance to recouperate and replenish the fat stores. The feast also will have other purposes; the rites of remberance, the celebration of victories, the announcement of commendations, promotions and accolades. Chapters like the Space Wolves probably use the situation for a lot of badass boasting and I can imagine them following this idea rather than the extra spoonful of gruel a day. If you have the hunter mentality already in your chapter flavour, the tiger way of spending a long time going after prey and then eating masses comparable to your own body weight will feel fitting.

Another thought, what if the special SM energy bars were an ancient formula created by the Emperor himself when he realised how much he would have to feed his legions? Imagine then a fortress world is found overrun by treachorous legions of the lost and the damned. At its equator is a great city of ancient factories centred around a shrine to a lost holy relic. The AdMech call for the aid of the adepts astares and a great and cunning attack is launched. A huge battle ensues, adepts are lost, pregintor glands are lost, machine spirits are lost, a suit of terminator armour. Yet in the end, the capital is retaken, hordes of guardsmen decend to take the world and they find that what they have is the STC for a candy bar and the Emperor's handwritten shopping list.

madd0ct0r
01-02-2009, 00:05
I think the marines would have a very slow metabolism (ie efficient at extracting energy)
I mean, I need 4000kcal a day just to keep from losing weight (and I'm not exercising)

Lord Malice
01-02-2009, 00:06
If you read Joe Haldeman's novel The Forever War he mentions numerous times that when the soldiers get into their own powered armour (which incidentily he describes as being nearly eight feet tall even though the soldiers are just normal men and women) they have several 'tubes' for the women and one tube and a cup for the men which are uncomfortable to put in. I imagine a marine's physiology either allow him to shut down certain organs or they would use a similar waste disposal system that would also help to recycle water and nutrients.

As for how much they eat, in the William King novel Space Wolf Ragnar notes on one occasion that the marine never appears to eat which could be taken to infer that marines can or do go long periods of time without eating. I would say that the efficiency of a marine's body allows him to eat a large quantity of high calory foods and can then go long periods of time without needing to eat again, or whilst in armour the suit intravenously provides nutrients. As I say, I imagine a marine can store calories very effectively after eating and when not eating can slow down or even shut down the digestive process, in a similar manner to a snake.

madd0ct0r
01-02-2009, 00:17
the secret of a Space Wolf feast is too dislocate your jaw...

Lord Malice
01-02-2009, 00:26
There's always the idea used for some of the more obscure Death Cults where members have mechanical saws and whatnot implanted into their throats so they can grind up bone and gristle and all sorts during their feasts, it might be kinda cool if such customs and practices went on in marine chapters, like the Blood Drinkers or some such, part of the chapter's tradition before, during or after a battle could be to consume the bodies of the enemy [whole] or even their battle brothers once any progenoids are removed; the practical reasons for such would be to absorb important tactical information from enmy combatants or their own battle brothers although the practice might have become debased over the millenia into a ritual bloodletting and feasting.

Brother_Chaplian Raimo
01-02-2009, 00:28
Sure dont marines ingest the memories off everything they eat:confused: so would they not end up thinking there a piece of grain

On numerous occasions, Battle-brothers have been referred to the Apothicarion and subsequently isolated until they remember that they are humanity's finest warriors, and not processed grain-byproduct grown on a nearby agri-world.

Inquisitor Engel
01-02-2009, 04:19
Re. Phelps, THAT'S why he's THE Olympian.

Sure he admits he has no life beyond eating, training and sleeping, but then agauin he lives for his sport 100% and simply can't be touched by the competition. You make the biggest sacrifice you get the biggest reward I guess.

Having met him at a meet once (long before anyone knew who he was, everyone was still ga-ga over Thorpe at the time) I can say he didn't develop any social skills along the way either. :rolleyes:

I'm racking my brain and I can't honestly think of a moment in the Horus Heresy series where the Astartes actually eat. I may be missing one, but I honestly can't.

(And yes, he won.)

mongoosedog300
01-02-2009, 06:32
In one of the Ventris books it mentions something about power armour producing a kind of paste, and I always assumed that it was either extracted from excrement or somehow taken from the air (why not? plenty of stuff in the air our body uses). Plus I recall marines being able to eat pretty much anything.

On the issue of how much they need, Maybe the don't actually need that much, because Imperial magic genes make their body super efficient (come on, why not) Maybe Phelps eats more than a marine does?

Lowmans
01-02-2009, 16:37
I think they probably consume the equivalent of one Grobswitchy bun a day.

kesofcom
27-02-2009, 19:52
I unfortuanatly have seen several of my family in the hospital. near their deaths I remembered the doctors sticking in needles that seemed to "feed" liquid into their bodies (since they couldn't eat on thier own). So rather than just being able to monitor motabolism and create pastes for consumption... wouldn't it be possible that power armour, recycles material into a liquid that is feed into marines through a needle? (or maybe the pack already is filled prior to battle, or both?). Marines would then never need to even physically consume to get their "food".

Bookwrak
27-02-2009, 20:00
I think the marines would have a very slow metabolism (ie efficient at extracting energy)
I mean, I need 4000kcal a day just to keep from losing weight (and I'm not exercising)

You're a genetic aberration though.

kesofcom
27-02-2009, 20:04
I think he accidentally put in the k part... as in he mena to say 4000 (four-thousand without the k) , not 4,000,000,000 (4 billion with the k)

Imperialis_Dominatus
27-02-2009, 20:13
I unfortuanatly have seen several of my family in the hospital. near their deaths I remembered the doctors sticking in needles that seemed to "feed" liquid into their bodies (since they couldn't eat on thier own). So rather than just being able to monitor motabolism and create pastes for consumption... wouldn't it be possible that power armour, recycles material into a liquid that is feed into marines through a needle? (or maybe the pack already is filled prior to battle, or both?). Marines would then never need to even physically consume to get their "food".

I don't see a problem with them having both recycling systems and some sort of food in their backpacks.

You're a genetic aberration though.

NO U

:p

I think he accidentally put in the k part... as in he mena to say 4000 (four-thousand without the k) , not 4,000,000,000 (4 billion with the k)

Probably, otherwise he'd eat all day and still starve to death.

kesofcom
27-02-2009, 20:19
actually yes, why not have both? the needle feed I think would be essential though, imagine having a mission in space (no air) how would you go about eating anything with a helmet on?

also as far as solid waste is concerned, many good points have been brought up, but I seem to remember bears had a way of stopping this when they go into hibernation.

Bookwrak
27-02-2009, 21:18

Actually, he used the right notation. What the U.S. calls 'calories' are actually 'kilocalories,' and generally referred to as such by the rest of the world.

However, the average adult maintenance diet requires 1800-2400 (kilo)calories a day. If his maintenance diet requires eating 4,000 calories a day (without exercise), there's something wrong with him.

madd0ct0r
27-02-2009, 21:21

Nope, but I was incorrect:

Kilogram and gram calories

The original definition by Clément was based on the kilogram. Other definitions based on the gram have since been made. We thus have the two major varients: the kilogram calorie and the gram calorie. One thousand gram calories equal one kilogram calorie.

In the context of food energy the term calorie generally refers to the kilogram calorie. However, the term kilocalorie, referring to one thousand gram calories, is also in widespread use especially by professional nutritionists (when speaking in terms of calories rather than joules). To avoid confusion prefix kilo- is not used with the kilogram calorie.

Kilogram calorie
The kilogram calorie, large calorie, food calorie, Calorie (capital C) or just calorie (lowercase c) is the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of one kilogram of water by one degree Celsius. The convention of using the capital the C for the kilogram calorie and the lower case c for the gram calorie is advocated by some but not generally followed.

Gram calorie
The gram calorie, small calorie or calorie (symbol: cal) is the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of one gram of water by 1 °C. The gram calorie was once commonly used in chemistry and physics.

huh, I never knew that.

ironcurtin117
27-02-2009, 22:25
Nothing wrong with 4k Calories a day. I mean I used to be a pretty big time Heavyweight boxer, while training I took in an easy 8-9k calories a day, 5 days a week, this was to maintain a 250lb fighting weight with very little body fat (needless to say this was BEFORE I started playing). Now SM's train around 17 hours a day easily, at full intensity. I would multiply my 9k but at least 4 to get that kind of activity.
Also I think that the massive slabs of muscle that are grafted onto the marines don't operate in the same way our "normal" muscles do. I envision some sort of synthetic flesh that operates off the electric current in the marines' body (a la the crysis suit)

Imperialis_Dominatus
27-02-2009, 23:49
actually yes, why not have both? the needle feed I think would be essential though, imagine having a mission in space (no air) how would you go about eating anything with a helmet on?

Lasagna by IV... mmm.

Hellebore
28-02-2009, 02:29
The space wolf novels have a lot of feasts, especially the fat one in the Wolf Blade (Haegar?).

If you assumed that a space marine had no high stress environment, his organs alone will require more kj of energy than a normal human, simply because there are more of them. The brain burns the most energy in the body, and there are quite a few brain/neurological organs a marine gets.

So your average slob marine would naturally require more energy. Add in the continuous training and unending warfare and I'd say they would require quite a few kilojoules to keep going.

The only marine known to be 'fat' or flabby is Haegar. If marines are all trim taut and terrific then they can't have fat deposits to store energy. they can hibernate so that would reduce the amount of energy their bodies require, but they don't seem to be able to store energy. Unless their stomachs can be turned off so that they store half digested food until they need the energy. Crocodiles do that, but if they leave it too long it rots and kills them. Marines though do have a better immune system (well, a better artificial immune system, their normal one is suppressed by their continual drug therapy).

Hellebore

kesofcom
28-02-2009, 06:55
something I remember now, space wolves aren't the only ones that have been mentioned to "eat" there was a blood angels book, that mentions about a marine not feeling comforted by eating scorpion from baal. or something among those lines.

ie he wasn't hungry. and this was after a battle mind you. a marine not hungry after battle? that might imply something about his diet, I will let you analyze however as it is 3:06 am here and I have to submit something to my partners soon...

imperial_communist
28-02-2009, 07:41
Id say a good 20,000 calories per day.

kesofcom
04-03-2009, 20:11
realised something... what happens to marines in carapace? I don't mean scouts, more like.. the scout sergants. I mean like so marines use armour for various thigns, but what does carapace do?

also cooked food? with marine digestive systems, would food havbe more or less calories uncooked? like I guess deep fried would be oily, but waht about baking and such? like if a marine was low on iron, could they eat a metal plate or blood? rather than something cooked? like blood tofu?

Cythus
04-03-2009, 20:28
The only marine known to be 'fat' or flabby is Haegar. If marines are all trim taut and terrific then they can't have fat deposits to store energy.
Hellebore

the body can store glycogen in the muscles and the liver. Paula Radcliffe has a fat content of 0.04% (average male - 10ish) and she still survives

the fact is cells need energy to survive, and every more for movement etc, and the energy comes through respiration which neededs glucose. Marines have many, many more cells, and do much more exercise, transferring much more energy, therefore they need much more calories than the average guy.

On an average day 15,000, before a battle 40,000 (ahhh the irony) is my view, but i'm no biologist

Hellebore
04-03-2009, 23:04
the body can store glycogen in the muscles and the liver. Paula Radcliffe has a fat content of 0.04% (average male - 10ish) and she still survives

the fact is cells need energy to survive, and every more for movement etc, and the energy comes through respiration which neededs glucose. Marines have many, many more cells, and do much more exercise, transferring much more energy, therefore they need much more calories than the average guy.

On an average day 15,000, before a battle 40,000 (ahhh the irony) is my view, but i'm no biologist

She won't survive for very long without food. Glycogen stores are not very big.

Hellebore

Cythus
05-03-2009, 18:58
exactly, that's why the marines need to eat so much (in my opinion)

I was just saying fat isn't the only way to store energy, though it is the most effective.