PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Rules for 40k. Please comment

TheDarkSaint
14-08-2008, 21:13
This is my first attempt at running a campaign for 40k and I've developed a prototype rules set that I wanted you folks to look at and tell me what you thought.

My goal with all these rules is to affect the stratagey of the game and not the tactics. I'm hoping that comes through. Please let me know if you think something is too powerful, broken or too weak as well as your reasons why.

The map is going to be broken up into 40 areas, each area given a point value as well as a classification.

20 areas will be given troop classifications and will range from 250-500 points.

15 Areas will be given vehical classifications and will range from 100-200 points

5 areas will be given wargear classifications and will be at 200 points each.

The points generated from each area can only be used in that catagory.

Troop area points cannot be used to buy tanks or wargear for HQ or Sergant upgrades.

Vehical area points can only be used on vehicals and vehical upgrades.

Wargear area can only use points for wargear on HQ units, unit leaders and special characters.

Resources

1. An area can provide it's point total to a controling player per turn.

2. If a player uses an area for it's points in purchasing units/upgrades, it is considered "tapped". (Too much MtG, I know)

3. Areas that are untapped are able to generate an army size equal to the points they can generate for defence. A new army is not formed, this is only a defence force. If an army is already on the area, the area may not be used to generate more troops. They are guarding fortifications and what not.

4. If an area is tapped, it is unable to defend itself without an army in the area and may be taken control of by another player's army.

5. A player may tap an area at the end of his turn to put 1/2 of it's total point value into a resource pool. The player may not tap an area on another players turn unless his army gives him the ability to do so.

6. Each player may start a resource pool. This pool may be used to draw resource on to build armies. Each player must keep track of how many troop points, vehical points and wargear points on a seperate tally. The pool may be built up over sucessive rounds.

7. Points can be converted, but it is an inefficiant process.

Troop points to Vehical points- 5:1
Vehical Points to Troop Points- 10:3
Wargear points cannot be converted.

Goq Gar
14-08-2008, 21:30
Well, methinks you've accidentally posted your thread twice, just out of context.

The ideas, well, some armies have more vehicles than others, and some more troops (I.E. Dark Eldar and Orks), so perhaps more of a 50/50 of those areas would be better.

TheDarkSaint
14-08-2008, 22:06
Army Rules

Army Size-

Smallest possible army size: 500 points

Largets possible army size: 2,000 points

Multiple armies are possible, but become more and more expensive to field to simulate strained lines of supply and communication.

1st army is at cost listed in codex.

2nd army i is 1.5 times more expensive.

3rd army is 2 times more expensive.

4th army is 4 times as expensive.

It is possible to increase an armies size. The army must sit on a controlled area for a turn. That army then is able to use the points provided by the area to upgrade or add troos/vehicles/wargear. The additions take into effect at the end of the players turn. That area is then considered tapped.

Army consolidation- For two armies to merge to form a single army, several criteria must be met.

The two armies must be in adjacent areas. Neither army may have moved or attacked.

For every 500 points that the new army is, 50 points must be spent to represent altering chains of command, restructuring and the general havoc that comes with mushing two forces together.

Example: Two 500 point forces want to merge to become a 1,000 point force. 100 resource points are spent in joining the two armies together.

One the resource has been spent, select one of the areas for the new army to occupy. The army may not move or attack until the beginning of that players next turn. It may defend a territory. Generate a new army list.

Changing Army Roster-

Up to half of the units in an army list can be changed with no cost.

More than 50%, less than 75% costs an extra 100 troop points.

More than 75% costs an extra 200 troop points

This is to simulate the problems with changing the scope and focus of an army and the command/control problems that ensue.

Movement-

Armies may only move one space to an adjacent areas to their own. A movment may only be made to a friendly area. Any area that is uncontested or control by another player, an attack move must be made to gain control of it. Some armies may circumvent this rule.

Combat

An army may make 1 attack on it's players turn. This attack move is in addition to their regular movement.

The attacker decides on on the point value for the Battle while the Defender decides on the mission. Any mission from 4th or 5th addition is valid.

If there exists a difference of more than 50 points between the attacker and defender, the defender chooses a point value for the battle. The defender then must win however many games of the same point value to retain control of the area.
Example: The Blood Angels bring a 2,000 point force to bear on an Eldar outpost. The Eldar army can only field a 750 point army at the time. The Eldar player must then fight and win two 750 point battles and then a 500 point battle to retain control of the area.

Control of an area is determined by either objectives or annihiliation. If the defender is able to control more objectives than an attacker, the area is under the defender control and the attacker army must move to a friendly area. Likewise for attackers controling more objectives than defenders. If an army is unable to move to a friendly area, then it is destroyed.

In an annilihation game, the army left standing is in control of the area. The loosing army is considered destroyed.

Any army moving into an uncontested area assumes control of it.

An attacker who is 750 points or under may declair an attack move as a raid instead of a normal attacking move.
-A raid may only be countered by an equal force of points, even if a larger army already occupies that territory.
-If the raider wins, 1/2 of the total points the area could provide is given to the raider, regardless if the area is tapped or not. The area is then considered tapped.

Multiple Armies attacking- Two armies may attack one area only if the area can generate more than 350 resource points. No more than 2 armies may attack one target. Both armies must be below 750 points.

TheDarkSaint
14-08-2008, 22:08
Well, methinks you've accidentally posted your thread twice, just out of context.

The ideas, well, some armies have more vehicles than others, and some more troops (I.E. Dark Eldar and Orks), so perhaps more of a 50/50 of those areas would be better.

I'm trying to set up the vehical and wargear areas as highly contested areas that are probably going to change hands quite a few times.

50/50 is a possiblity though.

TheDarkSaint
14-08-2008, 22:56
Special Army Strategic Rules.

Up until this point, the rules have been pretty basic. This is where things get controversial. What I'm hoping for is good criticism on these strategic rules. I've tried to give each army a positive rule and a negative rule. Hopefully, they will all balance out.

I'm leaving out Witchhunters, Daemonhunters and Daemons, as we have no players for those armies.

Space Marines

Relentless Assault- Space Marines are able to make a 2nd attack move with each army. This second attack move may be on an area they just suffered a defeat in (even in annihilated!) or to a new area they wish to control.

Overextended- Due to the elite nature of the Space Marines, areas under their control which do not have an army in them are not as well defended. An area defending itself while under SM control is only able to muster 66% of the untapped point value of the area.

Imperial Guard

Hold that Line!- IG are difficult to remove when they are dug in and they are always dug in. Any area under IG control adds +50% of the area's point total to the army that is defending it, including if there is already an IG army in that area.

Example: An IG area with no IG army in the area is attacked. It is capable of producing 250 points. It will add 125 points to it's defense force.

Example: An 250 point IG area is attacked that has a 1,000 point IG army on it. The army is able to add 125 points to it's total number to defend it.

Supply Line Problems- Any IG area that is not connected to the majority of IG holdings is lost if it is not connected by the end of the IG players turn. Any IG Army that is cut off from the majority of areas is lost if the IG player is not able to return it to the majority area.

Chaos Space Marines (This one was really hard, probably needs help)

Heresy- Chaos Space Marines may spend troop resource points to decrease the amount of troop/vehicle points of an enemy area for one turn. 1 resource point (troop or vehicle) spent in this fashion negates 3 troop points or 2 vehicle points.

Example- The Word Bearers player spends 100 points on a Tau troop area that is capable of fielding 300 points of troops. Since it is undefended, the CSM player may take the area without a battle.

Conflicting Orders- On a roll of a d6, a roll of 1 on the movement phase indicates contrary orders from higher ups (daemons, other commanders, power plays). A scatter die is used to determine where the CSM move to, if they are capable of movement. A hit result allows the CSM player to move as he wishes.

Eldar

Rapid Re-deployment- Being anti-grav and webway portal based, the Eldar armies are allowed to make to movements to friendly territories in the movement phase. Eldar may also tap and move up to 1/2 troop or vehicle movements from up to 3 areas to one other to bolster defense.

Example: A 300 point Eldar area with no Eldar army on it is under attack by Orks. The Eldar player may choose to tap a 500 point area to move 250 points to the besieged area so that a 750 point defense may be mounted. The extra moved points are lost at the end of the turn.

Every Eldar Counts- Eldar do not have the option of changing units in and out of an army, seeing how there aren't that many Eldar to go around. Any infantry unit must stay, as is, in the list until it is wiped out. The eldar player may buy additional units to keep the point value of the list at the value needed. Units that are under codex listing for minimum troop deployments ignore that rule.

Example: After a grueling battle with Imperial Guard, a squad of Howling Banshee's is down to the Exarch and two regular Banshee's. The Eldar player must keep this unit as is and cannot replenish the Banshees or switch them out for another unit until they die in battle.

Dark Eldar

Ambushed!- Dark Eldar are masters of the WWP and skimmers and always choose the point size and battle location. They are not restricted in taking a larger force against a smaller force and do not have to split the battle into multiples. Dark Eldar have no areas and therefore, cannot be attacked. Dark Eldar may choose any area in which to attack.

Arrgh Matey!- Because of their pirate nature, Dark Eldar cannot hold onto areas and therefore, do not gain resources. The only way in which a Dark Eldar army can gain resources is through raids. Dark Eldar must keep track of how many of their own points are killed in each battle and subtract that from their pool when they replenish their army for another raid. If a Dark Eldar army ever falls below 750 points, they are removed from the campaign.

[I] Example: The Dark Eldar player has 5,600 points in a his pool (he's been raiding lots of uncontested territory) and has just finished a raid on a 300 point Space Marine troop area. He took a 750 point list and it was a lopsided battle. He only lost 75 points worth of troops. To bring his army back up to 750, he'll need to subract 75 from his current total. Or, he can simply take a 675 point force and not replenish it. [I]

Necrons

Obliteration- Because of the Necron wish to destroy all life, any area controlled by the Necrons is unable to supply resource to any other army. It supplies resource with normal capability to Necrons. Any army winning an area from the necrons must "re-seed" the area so that it is now usable to that army. Re-seeding can only happen at the beginning of a players turn and will not be complete until the next turn for that player.

Vulnerable Stronghold- Necrons must go somewhere then they phase out and this stronghold is the place. The Necron player chooses an area at the beginning of the campaign in secret and writes down which area it is. As long as that area is under Necron control or is uncontested, the necron player is allowed to remain in the campaign.

Tau

For the Greater Good- Due to superior lines of communication, Ethereal influence and high technology, the Tau are able to consolidate forces quickly and easily, allowing armies to move and attack after consolidating.

Too Much Technology- Tau are unable to field ANY vehicles and battle suits become twice as expensive if they control less than 2 vehicle areas.

Orks

The Greater WAAAGH!- Every troop area beyond 5 that the orks control gives a +5% bonus to resource for all ork controlled troop areas.

Example: If the ork player controls 8 troop areas, each troop area receives a +15% boost in total troop points provided. So, a 250 point area would be producing 287 points. Round all numbers down.

Made for Fight'n- During the ork players movement phase, a d6 is rolled. If the result is a 1, a random ork area erupts into open rebellion as a new boss tries to become chief. The ork player must spend the turn putting down the rebellion by have a same point battle vs orks with another player fielding an ork army.

Tyranid

The Swarm- Tyranid pay reduced penalties for starting new armies to add to their swarm.

1st army is at cost.
2nd army is at cost
3rd army is x1.5
4th army is x2
5th army is x4

The food is all gone- After 3 games turns where a Tyranid player is in control of an area, that area ceases to produce any more resource. It is completely devoid of life. The area is unable to be "re-seeded" as per the Necron rule.

TheDarkSaint
14-08-2008, 23:09
Allies- Some armies are natural allies, some are tenetive and some are natural enemies. Some armies cannot ally with anyone.

When an army is allied with another, it undergoes the same process as consolidating armies together to form a larger army. Neither ally may have more than 1,000 points to contribute to the army size.

In battle, each commander gives commands to his own army. One person does not control another persons army.

Ally rules

Any human army may ally with another human army for free.

Tau, Orks, Eldar, Dark Eldar and Chaos Space Marines pay 300 points and their allies pay 300 points to form an alliance.

Chaos Space Marines cannot ally with Space Marines.

Necrons and Tyranid cannot have allies.

Chem-Dog
15-08-2008, 02:40
Just a thought, maybe the troop/vehicle/wargear classifications are a little too stringent, how about using the FOC categories (HQ, Elite, Troops, Fast Attack and Heavy Support) as your categories? All armies can include 1 HQ, 2-4 Troops and 1 Elite, Fast Attack or Heavy Support, the squares you hold allow additional units (which as an incentive, potentially allow you to go over the normal limit).

Personally, I like the idea that certain places on a map give specific in game advantages, so an army that holds a landing strip may add +1 to all reserve rolls for skimmers or troops deploying from flying craft (jump packs, for example). A road network makes it easier for you to get your troops to where you need them giving you reserve roll bonuses.

I think the emphasis is keep it easy and simple, rather than making too many additional rules otherwise you'll make things too hard on yourself, especially if you have to keep track of everything, you don't need an hour of record keeping in between each battle, the easier it is for everyone to get their heads round the less likely it is you will go mad ;)

TheDarkSaint
15-08-2008, 22:30
You know, ChemDog, that's not a bad idea. It's a less cumbersome than what I've come up with, but how would you go about determining army size? Like, have one area be worth 50 points of elites? That's a thought.

How would I go about handling DE with that rule set with their special rules?