PDA

View Full Version : A new Tournament Challenge

Rubicon
15-08-2008, 15:47
There seems to be a groundswell of feeling that if you go to a GT you have to play to win, take a min/maxed list and generally (in some people's opinions) suck the fun out of the whole event.

MY PROPOSAL

If enough people take themed armies to the GTs, balanced lists, and play in character (it takes some doing, believe me!) Then perhaps it'd work better for a group of non-WAAC non-Powergamer types not to compete in order to win the tournament, but to win the sportsmanship award?

I'm sure it'd present as much of a challenge (if not more challenging than straight out powergaming) to win Best Sportsmanship, and if enough people go with this attitude, couldn't it perhaps de-beard the tournament scene?

That's my plan at least, either with a Sigmarite, Khanite or Marauder list...

Anyone think it's a good idea?

Ixquic
15-08-2008, 15:50
While I personally like themed but still effective lists, the army with Skulltaker, Keeper of Secrets, the Masque and three units of horrors will probably make short work of those sorts of lists and people would quickly get frustrated at going to a tourney and one guy not going with the same idea and trouncing the themed armies even if he doesn't win the best sportsman award.

Malorian
15-08-2008, 15:54
You can tell though when some one is just trying to go for best sportsmenship. It's like playing against a politician... all smiles and agreeable conversation, but you know that in his head he only means 10% of what he says and he only wants your vote.

I think if you want to get rid of some of the WAAC players get rid of the prizes. Sure you can bring them up on stage after and get everyone to give them three cheers or whatever, but no trophy, no free stuff, no prize whatsoever.

Shamfrit
15-08-2008, 16:00
I'm going to Warhammer World Doubles for fantasy next year dressed as a Daemonette ;)

Malorian
15-08-2008, 16:08
I'm going to Warhammer World Doubles for fantasy next year dressed as a Daemonette ;)

I don't understand... you're Welsh, so you're short and hairy, but you're going to try and pass yourself off as a deamonette? :p (I'm half Welsh)

That kind of attitude can really change the feeling of a tournament too. It can be a tournament of 200 people (that would be nice...) but if two of them are dressed up like orks and yelling Waaaugh all the time, everyone starts getting in the mood and having more fun.

So maybe that's the answer: You need a fully painted and legal army and you have to dress up like one of the models :D

Rubicon
15-08-2008, 16:10
I flippin love that Idea, but not so much dressing up as a 220 lb witch elf....

Malorian
15-08-2008, 16:12
Guess I'll have to start using my ogres at tournaments ; )

Shamfrit
15-08-2008, 16:34
Roflcopter.

I'm over 6 foot, and yes, I'm hairy, so I suppose I should've said 'Dae'Man'ette,' *terrible wordplay.* One of our group is going as a Bretonnian Lord, the other a Waywatcher (although he doesn't know it yet) and another as a Witch Elf.

What right trollopes we'll appear...but it'll be such a scream we won't care!

Xavier
15-08-2008, 22:05
That kind of attitude can really change the feeling of a tournament too. It can be a tournament of 200 people (that would be nice...) but if two of them are dressed up like orks and yelling Waaaugh all the time, everyone starts getting in the mood and having more fun.

No... I think most who go to tournaments would find that extremely irritating. (See most people I've had the 'annoying ork' discussion with.)

Tarax
16-08-2008, 19:25
Scoring for Sportsmanship is highly debatable. If a guy agrees with me everytime we have a discussion, I get a squishy feeling, like he wants s0omething from me. But it could also be just me. I like discussions, I eat them for breakfast and have one before bed. This could mean that other people don't like playing against me, but it doesn't mean I'm not sporting.

What they could re-introduce is the Army Selection scoring. And I do not mean WYSIWYG or a little background for your army. I mean scoring on your army composition. Min-maxing scoring low and balanced armies scoring high. Themed armies scoring higher then a ramshackle bunch of units.

Kalec
17-08-2008, 01:14
And then there is the pure tzeentch daemon list. Is anyone going to argue that taking only daemons of a single god in unfluffy and anything but themed? And yet, you want to penalize a person taking such a fluffy, themed list, when that is the very thing you want to encourage?

How about a Nuln army? Plenty of great cannons, hand gunners, a steam tank or two. Fluffy, themed, and would get severely marked down for "min-maxing". Wonderful system.

Gorbad Ironclaw
17-08-2008, 05:28

Actually, I'd find that rather annoying. You can dress up as an Orc if you really want to, but keep the bloody noise down.
A tournament venue is noisy enough as it is, someone yelling all the time three tables down from me is not going to make me have more fun, just wish he would shut up.

Anyway, on the OPs post. If you are talking specifically about the UK GW GT then I think it's partially the heat structure and giving away a 'free' ticket that caused that, and partially there fairly poor (IMO) rulespack for many years. Now, plenty of people do go there just to have fun, but personally I'd just attend one of the many other tournaments on offer. A good number of them will even be in WHW as well, but will have a very different 'feel'.

Tarax
17-08-2008, 09:24
And then there is the pure tzeentch daemon list. Is anyone going to argue that taking only daemons of a single god in unfluffy and anything but themed? And yet, you want to penalize a person taking such a fluffy, themed list, when that is the very thing you want to encourage?

How about a Nuln army? Plenty of great cannons, hand gunners, a steam tank or two. Fluffy, themed, and would get severely marked down for "min-maxing". Wonderful system.

No-one said it was fair or anything. It's still highly subjective, much like sportsmanship, but it's something you as the player can influence.

FYI I find a solely Tzeentch army better than the best units of each God thrown together.
A themed army, like the above, also shows some dedication to the hobby, rather than playing to win.

Rubicon
17-08-2008, 23:04
It's not neccesarily about having a themed army. A polyglot army is fine, as long as each unit is used in Character. How would a Witch Elf unit act on the field act compared to say a Black Guard Unit? Playing in Character is more of a challenge than a themed list.