PDA

View Full Version : Why no plastic Dark Elf Lord

vorac
16-08-2008, 05:20
I don't know why GW didn't make a Plastic Boxed set for the Dark Elf lord like they did for High Elf,Empire and Orcs. It would have been that different from the High Elf one and would have saved me from having a Lord and BSB look like twins.

kylek2235
16-08-2008, 05:38
They didn't have one for the the last three armies: Vamps, Demons, Dark Elves. We might have seen the last of the plastic Lord/Hero Characters

Malakai
16-08-2008, 06:45
Someone on these forums(can't remember who) speculated that it wasn't cost efficient for GW as players would only need to buy one box. I don't know if I agree with this. I have personally bought two general kits for both my Empire and Orc Armies. It's a real shame the other races don't have them too. Especially DE.

-Malakai

RossS
16-08-2008, 07:12
I don't think it's that great of a loss. GW have been hit and miss on the plastic character kits. The Orc warbross is much too small and the Empire general (especially on foot) is static and lifeless. To be fair, though, the High Elf kit does look pretty good (not as good as the metal characters released during the Lustria campaign), and the Empire wizard kit is awesome.

Still, given their dodgy record, I think GW should stick to metal characters.

isidril93
16-08-2008, 07:43
since there were a lot of pieces on the spues most people ended up converting them. so from 1 lord and noble kit of HE i got 1 noble on horse, 2 nobles on foot and a standard bearer. twice the amount i bought.

marv335
16-08-2008, 08:05
As far as I understand from speaking to various personalities at the studio, each army release has a certain "budget" for the sculpting of new stuff.
It may be that the DE didn't have any room in the schedule for a plastic lord box.

Alathir
16-08-2008, 08:35
I think it was a shame that GW didnt keep producing these kits as I found them quite alot of fun and made for great customization. Despite the Empire and Orc kits being not so great (compared to the High Elf one) these problems were easily fixed once you started combining the kits with other pieces. My friend made a fantastic orc lord from the kit + the black orc champion head and axe.

Urgat
16-08-2008, 09:28
I don't think it's that great of a loss. GW have been hit and miss on the plastic character kits. The Orc warbross is much too small and the Empire general (especially on foot) is static and lifeless. To be fair, though, the High Elf kit does look pretty good (not as good as the metal characters released during the Lustria campaign), and the Empire wizard kit is awesome.
Ditto. The moment I opened my "warboss" box I thought "you're going to be a BSB".
I never use BSB, so he's now on the shelf, half painted.

I think it was a shame that GW didnt keep producing these kits as I found them quite alot of fun and made for great customization. Despite the Empire and Orc kits being not so great (compared to the High Elf one) these problems were easily fixed once you started combining the kits with other pieces. My friend made a fantastic orc lord from the kit + the black orc champion head and axe.

Yeah, well, you can do the same with any plastic orc :) You make it sound like it's just a bitz box (and you're not far from the truth, indeed).

Jack Spratt
16-08-2008, 09:32
I for one like all plastic models and kits as long as they keep them looking good. However - if I should choose between getting a new plastic character kit and a new plastic kit for say some core or special troops .... well IŽd take the plastic core or special kit any day.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
16-08-2008, 10:07
Who can tell?

Though as a long term Dark Elf Player, I am simply happy I have some character models, beyond the old Morathi on foot, Ropey Sorceress On Cold One and special characters..

Such a nice change!

Duke Georgal
16-08-2008, 10:36
They didn't have one for the the last three armies: Vamps, Demons, Dark Elves. We might have seen the last of the plastic Lord/Hero Characters

I was surprised by the fact the Vampires didn't get one, but it seems like they were really pushind the Von Carstein theme with them. Plus, there are plenty of good generic vampires in several flavors left over from 6th edition that are easy to find. I'm not sure how you would make an adequate Daemon commander kit fit in the small box.

Someone on these forums(can't remember who) speculated that it wasn't cost efficient for GW as players would only need to buy one box.

That is why a kit with only two models in it cost around $20.00! I am sure G-W did research on how to make it cost effective before they tried it. Maybe it didn't work out as planned.

The Empire general (especially on foot) is static and lifeless.

Pretty much all of the Empire character models, ever, have been static and lifeless. Remember the limited Army Standard Bearer in the 6th edition Army set? How about all those 4th edition Elector Counts. Aweful stuff. I use almost all Mordheim characters as my Empire commanders. Much better!

Anyway...

The Dark Elves absolutely needed a plastic commander box. This ommission is totally unexcusable. I hope one is in the works, along with plastic Witch Elves, to be released soon.

sigur
16-08-2008, 12:35
The Dark Elves absolutely needed a plastic commander box.

Why? Metals usually look better, less generic, still have more detail and character, opposed to plastics (especially these days).

Acheron,Bringer of Terror
16-08-2008, 13:31
yeah, i also hate plastic commander box, for WFB and 40k alike.

The_Warsmith
16-08-2008, 13:36
vampire counts didn't get one because vampires are too varied to put in just one box (very hard to make a stigroi vamp and/or necrarch from the same kit) and the daemons have the same problem, far too much variety to be put in a 2 character box

BattleBoxGaming
16-08-2008, 13:51
I think the metal characters that have been released have been ugly (the one-winged vampire, Dark Elf lord with 6 foot top-knot, etc.)

Give me plastic kits anyday! They offer almost unlimited potential for conversions and adding unique touches to your heroes.

I recently bought 5 of the High Elf hero boxes and converted myself 5 Dragon Princes - they look lush!

Gekiganger
16-08-2008, 14:46
yeah, i also hate plastic commander box, for WFB and 40k alike.

My sentiments exactly.

Wickerman71
16-08-2008, 16:36
That is why a kit with only two models in it cost around $20.00! I am sure G-W did research on how to make it cost effective before they tried it. Maybe it didn't work out as planned.

The Warhammer plastic charater kits where passed because of the success of the Space Marine Commander Box, since space marines of all flavours eclipse every other race it's rather easy to see why the general kits did not preform to expectations. If I was a DE player I would rather see plastic Dark Riders, Witches, Executioners, Black Guard & Cold One Chariot far more than a plastic Dreadlord kit.

Malakai
16-08-2008, 17:03
I for one love those plastic kits. I thought the Empire general kit was badass. The orc one was not quite as cool, but I liked it nonetheless.

Dark Elf players really deserved one of those if anyone did. I don't know what GW was thinking not giving one to them. Of all the armies Dark Elves have been without proper character models more than anyone else. Now they have one ugly mounted guy, one ugly guy on foot, one decent sorceress on foot, and one sorceress on a cold one whose legs are modeled onto the mount. And oh yeah, she's on a fricking cold one.:wtf: Noone in their right mind puts a sorceress on a cold one! So you have ONE decent character model out of all that. Pitiful.

-Malakai

tortoise
16-08-2008, 17:45

Still, given their dodgy record, I think GW should stick to metal characters.

Seconded.

personally I value quality over customization. Of course I'd rather have both but that isn't the case unfortunately. Take for example the plastic marine commander (I know its 40k but the point still holds). His cloak looks ridiculous because of the need to make it a seperate piece that could accommodate different poses between the torso and legs. Similarly the orc warboss doesn't sit right on his mount because the same arms and torso must work for a foot model. Compare his awful pose to the way that new mounted chaos lord works.

As for the reason we haven't seen plastic commanders recently- perhaps they don't sell enough to justify being in plastic form. Perhaps GW decided they didn't like the quality either.

Weldo Rubin
16-08-2008, 18:40
Sure the Dark Elves deserved a plastic Character kit when the High Elves got one, but I think they are more in need of some other new models (i.e. Cold One Chariots (look too old when compared to Cold One Knights), Witch Elves (are cheaper now, and thus deserve plastic models in the future) and of course Dark Riders (very popular and have looked too old since the Wood Elves got their new Cavalry)) at the moment.

Ben
16-08-2008, 18:48
The plastic marine commander was guaranteed to sell well, even though it doesn't give you all the options you would need (no double lightning claws). Vampires were too varied, as were deamons. Dark Elves only got cold one knights and corsairs new in plastic, which was unusual considering that only Daemons only had two plastic kits with their release, OnG had two proper kits (spider riders and night goblins) and two little kits (general/BSB and fanatics), and Empire had 5 big kits (outriders, state troops, handgunners/crossbowmen, flagellants, hellblaster) and 2 smaller kits (general/BSB and wizard). HE got a lot, and VC got all new core choices.
DE don't seem to have had a lot of love, mainly because their warriors for some reason have been viewed as adequate models. Why witch elves and dark riders weren't done is a mystery to me. Both of those needed updates, particularly dark riders. Some of the characters are pretty lacklustre, but the dreadlord on cold one and sorceress on foot are nice.

On the plus side I think that my saurus and skinks probably won't get replaced, but I'll have new Kroxs etc to buy come the lizard book next year.

Hopefully the rumoured plastic cav release next year is correct (ie orc boarboyz, black knights, dark riders) as this will fill some holes people have in their armies for plastic and newer models and make taking more light/medium cav practical.

Tarax
16-08-2008, 19:12
Why? Metals usually look better, less generic, still have more detail and character, opposed to plastics (especially these days).

Less generic? With the plastic sets you could taylor your character to your delight. With metal all characters look the same, in every army!

I couldn't help but notice there are some units not pictured in the army book, chariot and Harpies spring to mind. Could it be that GW is having some new models made and they will be released sometime next year?
There were rumours there were new Orks coming next year, like a second batch. Could they be doing that with more armies?

Duke Georgal
16-08-2008, 19:54
I for one love those plastic kits. I thought the Empire general kit was badass. The orc one was not quite as cool, but I liked it nonetheless.

Dark Elf players really deserved one of those if anyone did. I don't know what GW was thinking not giving one to them. Of all the armies Dark Elves have been without proper character models more than anyone else. Now they have one ugly mounted guy, one ugly guy on foot, one decent sorceress on foot, and one sorceress on a cold one whose legs are modeled onto the mount. And oh yeah, she's on a fricking cold one.:wtf: Noone in their right mind puts a sorceress on a cold one! So you have ONE decent character model out of all that. Pitiful.

-Malakai

Absolutely right!

I think the people complaining about the plastic character kits must not have ever assembled the High Elf kit. That is the best kit GW ever put out.

After I built it, I was salivating & dreaming over what the Dark Elf kit was going to look like.

Oh well.

Duke Georgal
16-08-2008, 19:56
Empire had 5 big kits (outriders, state troops, handgunners/crossbowmen, flagellants, hellblaster) and 2 smaller kits (general/BSB and wizard).

I think the Empire Handgunners and State Troops kits actually were new releases in 6th edition.

The Empire still got a lot though.

Malakai
16-08-2008, 19:57
Could it be that GW is having some new models made and they will be released sometime next year?
There were rumours there were new Orks coming next year, like a second batch. Could they be doing that with more armies?

People have been saying that GW wants to stretch out releases for armies. I don't like this. It reminds me of the way things used to be when I started playing. I liked having all of the models at once so I don't buy an old model and two months after I paint it they replace it. My painting time is so limited it's a drag to sink 50 hrs into painting a unit and then have it updated.

-Malakai

Rodman49
16-08-2008, 21:39
I think the Empire Handgunners and State Troops kits actually were new releases in 6th edition.

The Empire still got a lot though.

Pretty sure they weren't. The 6th Edition Empire box consisted of 16 of the 5th edition infantry + a new command sprue for 19 models. Handgunners and Spearmen were available in a box that was just the sprues from the starter game (of 6th edition). So Empire got 7 new plastic kits this edition! w00t!

Duke Georgal
17-08-2008, 00:04
Pretty sure they weren't. The 6th Edition Empire box consisted of 16 of the 5th edition infantry + a new command sprue for 19 models. Handgunners and Spearmen were available in a box that was just the sprues from the starter game (of 6th edition). So Empire got 7 new plastic kits this edition! w00t!

I think you are referring to the "detatchment" box. That had 8 handgunners and 8 spearmen from the 6th edition box set.

The Handgunners/Crossbowmen, and State Troops (spearmen/halberdiers/swrodsmen) were also released as ten man boxes in 6th edition. These did not get an update for 7th.

loveless
17-08-2008, 00:31
The Handgunners/Crossbowmen, and State Troops (spearmen/halberdiers/swrodsmen) were also released as ten man boxes in 6th edition. These did not get an update for 7th.

Incorrect.

The Handgunners/Crossbowmen and State Troop 10-man boxes were releases for the 7th Edition Warhammer Armies: The Empire.

The 6th edition versions of these models were a bit more static and had puffy sleeves. The 10-man boxes were released alongside the newest Army Book.

Wickerman71
18-08-2008, 00:10
I think you are referring to the "detatchment" box. That had 8 handgunners and 8 spearmen from the 6th edition box set.

Incorrect.

The Handgunners/Crossbowmen and State Troop 10-man boxes were releases for the 7th Edition Warhammer Armies: The Empire.

The 6th edition versions of these models were a bit more static and had puffy sleeves. The 10-man boxes were released alongside the newest Army Book.

A Dead give away is that 7th edtion plastic kit boxes have effect pictures of the models; earlier kits used art. the Dwarfs who where redone at the end of 6th still used line art, but the secondwave release of the Miners used the models for the box art.