PDA

View Full Version : Uses for Dark elf repeater handbow.

OllieC23
17-08-2008, 10:55
Hi im new to fantasy after playing 40k for a couple years. I have the D elf book and love the corsairs rules and models.
Was wondering wha uses you have found for the reapeater handbow?
Due to the range is it only useful in the event of a failed charge by the corsairs and stand & shoot reactions?

Just to check, in general;
As charges are declared before shooting if the unit make it into assault the unit cant shoot. Is this correct?

Thanks, ollie

Xavier
17-08-2008, 11:07
If they get a failed charge they can't shoot.

What I've found is best is just to wander up close; shoot them; then stand and shoot, a unit in 10x1 is normally good for this, though you need to be selective in the unit you go after.

You can't shoot in combat; correct.

T10
17-08-2008, 12:05
You might want to take this over to the tactics forum.

It does seem that you are under the impression that the short range makes them somewhat useless - their 8" range is indeed shorter than the unit's 10" charge range.

However, bear in mind that if you decide to have the unit shoot instead of fight it will be able to move 5" (including turning and expanding it's frontage) and shoot at a target it could not charge (out of charge range or out of sight).

The shooting option is only slightly less effective than close combat: 2 attacks at WS 4 vs. 2 shots at 4+ to hit. But it may prove somewhat more versatile when dealing with rapid-moving targets that try to outmaneuver your battle lines.

-T10

Gazak Blacktoof
17-08-2008, 12:09
If they get a failed charge they can't shoot.

They can't shoot in their own shooting phase- they may still stand and shoot as a charge reaction.

isidril93
17-08-2008, 12:11
if there is a unit that you are within its charge range and that you probably wont manage to kill then a good idea would be to just shoot it and then the next turn it would charge you and you get stand and shoot. hed at.

if you are in ranks of 5 then you will get 12 shots (if the champ has a pair) and another 12 shots with S&S. 24 shots before combat is not something that should be laug

Xavier
17-08-2008, 12:14
They can't shoot in their own shooting phase- they may still stand and shoot as a charge reaction.

Is what I meant...

Gazak Blacktoof
17-08-2008, 12:17
Is what I meant...

Good, but it might not be clear to somebody new to the game.

OllieC23
17-08-2008, 12:20
Ok thanks for the replies.
If i knew how to move the thread to tactics i would.

SO would it be advisable to take corsairs with handbows in units of <15 to maximise shooting frontage and corsairs with 2 handweapons in units>15 for combat killing?

thanks again

Xavier
17-08-2008, 12:26
Good, but it might not be clear to somebody new to the game.

Would be if they read the section dealing with failed charges...

Ok thanks for the replies.
If i knew how to move the thread to tactics i would.

SO would it be advisable to take corsairs with handbows in units of <15 to maximise shooting frontage and corsairs with 2 handweapons in units>15 for combat killing?

thanks again

Yup; I take units of 10 with handbows in a 10x1 formation; and a unit of 18 in a 6x3 formation and give the champion dual handbows. Works rather well.

Jerrus
17-08-2008, 14:33
Or simply give the Champion 2 of them and let him do the shooting :D

sulla
17-08-2008, 18:06
Or simply give the Champion 2 of them and let him do the shooting :D

...that's what I'd do. No point further undermining the unit's already powerpuff assault abilities... (unless you're fighting HE anyway; then they will do most of their damage outside of combat anyway).

theunwantedbeing
17-08-2008, 21:37
You just march forwards 10" to start with, then move up 5" the next turn shooting the enemy. They're good for shooting enemies who are just on the edge of your charge range, as you just move forwards and pummel them, then if they want to charge you, you get to pummel them again.

On a character it's useful if they're on a pegasus, fly 20" next to an enemy light unit...let fly with 4 shots hitting on a 2+ (3+ vs skirmishers) and watch the carnage.