PDA

View Full Version : Eldar Sky Hosts

Sildani
17-08-2008, 22:37
Hi,

The background is clear and resolute on this one point - the Eldar are the masters of the sky. To this end, I'm going to collect four Nightwing fighters from FW to use in Apocalypse - one's already done. And, yes, there'll be a datasheet for the four when they're all done.

My query is this: how would a Sky Host be painted? Would they all have much the same paint scheme, or would they be individualistic enough that they would all have a different "custom" scheme? Would the same colors be used, or would a different pallette be used? Think about it for a while, Eldar players, and meditate on the aesthetics and on what you think the members of this Host might do. I'm going to write up names/background on each pilot, but your input would be appreciated!

What might make an Eldar abandon Aspects, Titans, tanks, and hearth to dance madly amongst the skies? Tell me your thoughts!

Eetion
17-08-2008, 22:40
What would make them abandon Aspects and Tanks etc....Well one thing really.
The Path of the Pilot...

Alessander
18-08-2008, 05:13
Yes, aviation is an Eldar path in itself, just like the path of the Warrior, Seer, or Craftsman.

Hellebore
18-08-2008, 05:19
Too bad the nightwing costs 100pts more than it should now that everyone gets a 4+ save...

Apart from that, afaik as everyone has said, the path of the pilot exists and would be what a nightwing pilot is on.

Hellebore

Starchild
18-08-2008, 05:44
WD 127 mentions that there are some Warrior Aspects dedicated to piloting vehicles. Obviously Singing Spears ride jetbikes. Other Aspect Warriors pilot War Walkers and aircraft. So there could be a dedicated Aspect Warrior Shrine for Nightwing pilots. Or it could just be the Path of the Aviator.

Either way, Nightwing pilots get BS4, so the actual background doesn't matter too much. If you go the Craftworld route, they should be painted like the Guardians. If you go the Aspect Pilot route, you could paint them like Swooping Hawks for a bright scheme. Or, you could take a cue from the name, and paint them like the night sky-- so deep purples, dark blue, black, etc.

Idaan
18-08-2008, 09:32
Does every flyer now get the 4+ save? Where does it say so?

Also, there should be some fluff about Nightwing pilots in Aeronautica Imperialis, shouldn't it? I seem to remember something about them training for years on Jetbikes to improve their reflexes, but I only flipped the rulebook once.

chaos0xomega
18-08-2008, 18:26
I believe there was an aspect dedicated to the piloting of aircraft. It was something eagles. Screaming Eagles? Golden Eagles? Blazing Eagles? Shining Eagles?

I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure it was official.

Idaan
18-08-2008, 19:30
Star Eagles. But as far as I know, besides one mention in "Shadow Point" we don't know what they do or how do they look like.

Alessander
18-08-2008, 19:36
Does every flyer now get the 4+ save? Where does it say so?

Also, there should be some fluff about Nightwing pilots in Aeronautica Imperialis, shouldn't it? I seem to remember something about them training for years on Jetbikes to improve their reflexes, but I only flipped the rulebook once.

Apoc says flyers use the rules for skimmers moving fast. In 4th ed, that meant they were only hit on a 6. In 5th ed, it instead gives them a 4+ cover save.

Now the arguement is if the holofield save (which is taken after the hit, not after the damage) stacks with the cover save. It's not a save as such, but a special "additional" save like FNP.

chaos0xomega
18-08-2008, 22:03
If it's described/worded as a save (as in, it says "save" or "saving throw" in the description, and not "on a 4+ it is ignored" or something to that effect) then it's a save. I'm not going to check the wording on it, but the solution really is that simple.

Hellebore
19-08-2008, 13:57
Unfortunately the wording for the titan holofield uses the term save in the last sentence. It's really just an afterthought sentence as it doesn't refer to the 4+ roll as a save in any other section of the text, only at the end.

However, because it's called a save, it cannot stack. Although some people claim that because the rules for stacking saves only specify cover, invulnerable, and armour saves, the holofield save is excepted as it is none of these.

Hellebore

Adra
19-08-2008, 14:37
In answer to the OP i think they would have a common colour scheme just like any formation or airforce, but you can put unique marks on each so they can identify one another. so maybe a glyph of the pilot or something like that. although decorative, eldar never show that much individuality between vehicles so maybe keep it subtle.

Sildani
20-08-2008, 01:39
All right, that's a good point Adra.

As for the save thing, good question. I'm torn how to resolve it.

Can someone help this computer illiterate soul and tell me how to put up a picture in a post? I'd like to show my first Nightwing, to give you an idea of how it goes so far.

Thanks!

Hellebore
20-08-2008, 03:49
Upload it to an image account like photobucket, they give you an image link to place in posts.

Or, you could attach it as a jpeg to the post (the manage attachments button). So long as the image is small enough it will go up.

Hellebore

Poseidal
20-08-2008, 08:38
Personally, I would paint the pilots in dark, batman like colours to be like a night...wing...

Or probably just go with craftworld colours, actually.

Unfortunately the wording for the titan holofield uses the term save in the last sentence. It's really just an afterthought sentence as it doesn't refer to the 4+ roll as a save in any other section of the text, only at the end.

However, because it's called a save, it cannot stack. Although some people claim that because the rules for stacking saves only specify cover, invulnerable, and armour saves, the holofield save is excepted as it is none of these.

Hellebore
When is it triggered? IF the holo save is triggered at a different point to a cover save then there may be precedence for getting it.

Idaan
20-08-2008, 09:06
I think it would be possible. IIRC the cover save is before you roll for damage, and holo save might be after the roll (though I don't have Apoc rulebook).

@ Sildani: ages ago on 40k Online there was a template project for Eldar vehicles. There was a Nightwing template on which you could try out your scheme. Here it is, but I don't remember the creator of it
[img=http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/4617/nightwing1zf8.th.png] (http://img374.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nightwing1zf8.png)

Slaaneshi Slave
20-08-2008, 09:34
In answer to the OP i think they would have a common colour scheme just like any formation or airforce, but you can put unique marks on each so they can identify one another. so maybe a glyph of the pilot or something like that. although decorative, eldar never show that much individuality between vehicles so maybe keep it subtle.

Sam Haim pilots often paint their vehicles with stylish designs. So paint them however you like!

Killgore
20-08-2008, 11:54
It depends on the story of your craftworld

the fighter wings dont always have to be uniformed as a aspect squadron would be, due to pilot heraldry or clan markings or some other reason

or you could just have a boring craftworld like Alaitoc where everything is strict and regimented, so a uniformed colour appearance for your Nightwings would be appropriate.

Sildani
20-08-2008, 12:04
All right, let's see how this works: Nightwing dorsal:
http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/6178/nightwinghd9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

And ventral:
http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/2649/nightwingventralyr7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

What do you think?

Adra
20-08-2008, 13:11
Well that is a very nice paint job. You have done a good job. Not really to my taste but its very well done.

Me i would have just done it without the skull and used black and used that amazing teel you have on the upper wing things around the ship a bit more, but then im boring :)

Bregalad
20-08-2008, 14:45
Nice paint job.
I also think that squads look better if painted in one scheme, with only slight individual variations, like with Falcon squads or any other Eldar unit. Looks better.

Pictures: Click "go advanced", scroll down to button "manage attachments" and click it, search all pics on your computer for upload (up to 10) and upload them in the new window, wait until they are uploaded and then press "submit reply".
No need then to use another pic host, pics are seen as thumbnails under your post.

Sildani
20-08-2008, 20:47
Aha! That's it. Thanks Bregalad.

All right, conformity seems to be the majority opinion. So be it. They won't all have skulls, but the other three will have large sections of bone color. How about that?

Idaan: thanks for the template! Do you know if any were made of the other Eldar flyers?