PDA

View Full Version : Stone Crusher Carnifexs, are they worth it?

cleansingfury
17-08-2008, 23:48
So for my bithday my mom bought me about $300 worth of tyranids to add to my army. I own the GW apoc books but not the forge world one. The only reason I would buy the forge world one is if the stone crusher carnifexs are any good. Now while staying in the forum rules can anyone give me any help?

Thank you

neXus6
18-08-2008, 01:06
Hmm, I can't remember the rules off the top of my head...however worst comes to worst you can always use them as Scything Talon + Crushing Claw Fexs with the kinda hooked rams being counts as Talons, that's not a bad load out and the models are brilliant. :D

That alone has almost tempted me to get a couple if I hadn't gone off 40k a while back. :p

AdamAtCollege
18-08-2008, 01:25
If I remember correctly, they were made for the Cities expansion, so the stone crushers are meant to handle terrain or buildings or something. I don't have the rulebook so I don't remember exactly, but I don't know how useful they'd play in a normal game.

Angelus Mortis
18-08-2008, 01:42
All they are is a Standard Carnifex with biomorphs you can get out of the Tyranid codex. They also have the wrecker strategem from Cities of Death which basically gives you a chance to destroy a building (or other removable terrain feature). Other than that, all the rules are the same ones as in the Nid codex.

As far as the model is concerned, they are very nice looking models IMHO. But if I am not mistaken, all the bitz come in a standard Carnifex sprues.

So, in closing, I wouldn't buy it for just that Carnifex. However, it is a very nice book for the other goodies it has. Its worth buying for the other stuff.

Now if you are interested in fielding a unique type of Carnifex, Apoc:Reload has a datasheet called a Behemoth Crusher Brood. It contains a minimum of 3 Carnifexs. You can add a different type of "Stonecrusher" Carnifex to this brood which has 2 sets of Crushing Claws (one more than is allowed per the Codex). This gives it 2d6 attacks and is just nasty. They also get several othr rules. Just so you fully understand, to get the special Carnies, you must have 3 standards and then add the special ones. So, plan for that if your interested.

Lostanddamned
18-08-2008, 01:58
They are pretty sweet IMO as centrepeice models (in that very few gamers will have one, and some will never have seen one).

Also as said before, they are either CC and Scytal Carnifexes (a combo not to be scoffed at) or the Forge World specialfexes, which arent too shabby either.

That said, I'm not a fan of the wrecking ball one bit. ugh.

HiveFleetEzekial
18-08-2008, 03:22
All they are is a Standard Carnifex with biomorphs you can get out of the Tyranid codex. They also have the wrecker strategem from Cities of Death which basically gives you a chance to destroy a building (or other removable terrain feature). Other than that, all the rules are the same ones as in the Nid codex.

They don't 'have' the strategem. They *can* be used to represent it though. It's the exact same points as a 'fex out of the codex using those upgrades. They do not 'give' the strategem for free.

cleansingfury
18-08-2008, 03:23
Wow thank you all!

The 3 carnifex formation is currently what I was currentl building in my project tlog and wanted to know if adding the extra special carnifexs were worth it.

I think I will pick one up for cool models sake!

starlight
18-08-2008, 03:39
I think I will pick one up for cool models sake!

There are other reasons to buy models...?:eek:

cleansingfury
18-08-2008, 03:55
There are other reasons to buy models...:eek:

What are your thoughts than? I have dispensable income right now and want some cool models.

starlight
18-08-2008, 04:04
Well if you *want* to spend money, go for something like a Trygon. :D

:p

Seriously, save your cash and build up, buying what you need as you discover gaps in your army. Buying it all at once may lead to most of it sitting on the shelf as a huge pile of models waiting to be painted...:(

However, the best use you can put that money to is an investment...you'll thank me later...buy a mutual fund with minimal fees and a fair amount of energy, financial and resource stocks. Keep doing that every time you get spare cash and you'll retire long before your parents...

cleansingfury
18-08-2008, 04:20
Well if you *want* to spend money, go for something like a Trygon. :D

:p

Seriously, save your cash and build up, buying what you need as you discover gaps in your army. Buying it all at once may lead to most of it sitting on the shelf as a huge pile of models waiting to be painted...:(

However, the best use you can put that money to is an investment...you'll thank me later...buy a mutual fund with minimal fees and a fair amount of energy, financial and resource stocks. Keep doing that every time you get spare cash and you'll retire long before your parents...

I agree totally with your idea. Beginning next month I am placing $1000 into a form of savings with my regular income going for 40K.

As for holes in my army, Lictors and some more genestealers. This is my Apocalapse army after all and not my regular 40k army :D

starlight
18-08-2008, 04:45
Anything that pays less than 8-12% (the standard range for mutual funds) isn't worth your time. 4% GICs only break even after inflation and taxes on the income.:(

Ask your investor how much you need to have to get to the *next level*. The more money you have to invest, the better your options and returns on your investments.

cleansingfury
18-08-2008, 05:12
Anything that pays less than 8-12% (the standard range for mutual funds) isn't worth your time. 4% GICs only break even after inflation and taxes on the income.:(

Ask your investor how much you need to have to get to the *next level*. The more money you have to invest, the better your options and returns on your investments.

A new first for me on warseer, financial advice :) I am gald that there are those here who do care to give good financial advice!

However, my $1000 is pretty much all that is availabe, Army early enlistment doesn't go any higher.

starlight
18-08-2008, 05:18
Seems I got out too early...:p

As you build it up, keep asking them what the next step is. $25K, $50K, $75K, $100K+, they all get you better service and more options.

Be sure to shop around and don't take advice on what to buy from either someone with less money than you or someone who is *selling* something.:)

Trust no one, even me. Stick with people who know your *whole* financial picture and have a vested interest in your success.:)

Then you can have all the Forgeworld you want.:evilgrin:

Clang
18-08-2008, 05:41
buy shares in Forgeworld!

Angelus Mortis
18-08-2008, 10:32
They don't 'have' the strategem. They *can* be used to represent it though. It's the exact same points as a 'fex out of the codex using those upgrades. They do not 'give' the strategem for free.

Uhhh...no, it says clearly under special rules that it "counts as having the wrecker strategem". I dont know how that could be any clearer.

HiveFleetEzekial
18-08-2008, 11:53
It says it may, not it outright does. This means if the player takes that strategem, it can be used as a suitable model for it, instead of them having to create something up on their own. It's perfcetly 'fine' to use it as a standard Tyranid 'Wrecker Strategem"

And It doesn't just automatically 'come with' it, for regular games.

PierceC
18-08-2008, 12:20
...buy a mutual fund with minimal fees and a fair amount of energy, financial and resource stocks...

While I don't disagree with the investing portion of your advice, I would have to say, probably should have kept it general.

Yeah, since Mutual fund have been a bedrock of investments recently :rolleyes: I would put that it in the same portfolio as investments from Bear Sterns! Maybe he should put that money in the Spanish property market :angel:

Angelus Mortis
18-08-2008, 15:11
It says it may, not it outright does. This means if the player takes that strategem, it can be used as a suitable model for it, instead of them having to create something up on their own. It's perfcetly 'fine' to use it as a standard Tyranid 'Wrecker Strategem"

And It doesn't just automatically 'come with' it, for regular games.

Actually it does say "may count as having" it. It does not, however, say you have to take the strategem. You could read that as you can count it if you took it or you could read it as since you got the model it has it. Perhaps its symantics, but then again, I think were all familiar with GWs awesome ability to write things clearly and without ambiguoty :rolleyes:;).