PDA

View Full Version : Eldar Question

Malevon
19-08-2008, 06:42
Sometime in the far future, I'd like to do a (totally converted) Eldar variant, be it Exodites, Corsairs, or something else. Does anything like Dark Exodites exist? Are there other groups of Eldar I don't know about? Any details about Exodites or Pirates beyond the fan consensus is that the former likes dinosaurs?

Bad monkey
19-08-2008, 07:15
Im sure a few years ago during the 13th black crusade there was whispers of crone world eldar who had not got out the way of the warp in time...could be wrong tho.

Jkos
19-08-2008, 07:21
This is my understanding of Exodites, they left before the fall of the elder and did not suffer the cataclysm that fallowed, so no “Dark” Exodites.
It may say that the Exodites are “primitive” but I see them at the same level of the other eldar but less vehicles and aspect warriors, but more help from the “dragons” they train.

So an Exodites list would have low numbers off aspect warriors and vehicles and a high number of guardians and storm guardians.

Poseidal
19-08-2008, 09:01
The Exodites left the Eldar worlds before the craftworlders. They don't use the path system (so no aspects) but live in a more 'primative' lifestyle of farming and hunting without using the tools that made it easy (which they say lead to the excesses of the pre-fall Eldar).

Malevon
19-08-2008, 09:31
Yeah, I know what Exodites are, I was more wondering if there are any other splinter factions of Eldar mentioned somewhere obscure that I could consider as an alternative.

I think there could be "Dark" Exodites, not like Dark Eldar, but an Exodite world that became extremely bitter and hostile since the Fall.

Poseidal
19-08-2008, 10:52
I think all exodites are basically like that though. Exodites can vary from being reasonably amiable to hostile even to craftworlders.

There's a limit to how 'dark' an exodite can get. The whole purpose of their society is to strictly keep away from the excesses typical of Dark Eldar like that. I would only think that apart from normal hostilities, 'dark' exodites would basically join the Dark Eldar (returning to the old lifestyle) or go chaotic thus ending their exodite lifestyle/career.

Ubermensch Commander
19-08-2008, 20:24
Exodites are like the Quakers or Puritans of the Eldar(Loose Analogy). They left even before craftworlders because the Eldar were becoming decadent and hedonistic.
"Durn young uns aint got no work ethic!"
If they don't do the feudal, wilderness, dragon riding Exodite thing they are no longer Exodites. So yes, there could be "Dark" Exodites....we call them Dark Eldar or Corsairs. As for the bitter and hostile thing....yep. easy.
*Exodite farmer Jeb runs sits outside his wraithbone cottage on his rocking chair holding his shuriken catapult* "Get off my lawn ya dang mon-keighs! Blasted youth element!"

Horus38
19-08-2008, 20:55
I think there could be "Dark" Exodites, not like Dark Eldar, but an Exodite world that became extremely bitter and hostile since the Fall.

If there were it would be as individuals. To date there has been no mention of the possibility of such a group or faction existing within Exodite society. To my knowledge the factions are:

* Craftworlders
* Corsairs
* Exodites
* Dark Eldar
* Harlequins

I heard some whisperings awhile back in the old old fluff that there are Chaos Eldar. However these seemed to be more along the lines of individual champions who were extremely powerful and not an actual faction/group. However such a group has not been mentioned in recent fluff at all.

Malevon
19-08-2008, 21:34
Exodites are like the Quakers or Puritans of the Eldar(Loose Analogy). They left even before craftworlders because the Eldar were becoming decadent and hedonistic.
"Durn young uns aint got no work ethic!"
If they don't do the feudal, wilderness, dragon riding Exodite thing they are no longer Exodites. So yes, there could be "Dark" Exodites....we call them Dark Eldar or Corsairs. As for the bitter and hostile thing....yep. easy.
*Exodite farmer Jeb runs sits outside his wraithbone cottage on his rocking chair holding his shuriken catapult* "Get off my lawn ya dang mon-keighs! Blasted youth element!"
I think Amish or Luddite would be a better comparison than Quakers, but I understand what you're saying.

I was simply saying you could be into the whole no-technology thing and also be immoral and have sinister-looking gear on the tabletop.

MrBigMr
19-08-2008, 22:00
What about Pirates and Outcasts? I've heard of talk about them as well. I think Pirates is another name for Dark Eldar, especially to those that don't know the difference between them (reminds me of a strip of a 40K comic "Your pet has defiled my bolter." "No, your looking for the DARK eldar." *pause* "Your mind tricks will not work on me, alien witch!").

But Outcasts. I would think they're the same as Corsair (again, with a different name), but who knows. I don't.

I don't think Exodites would fall to depravity like the DE, since their whole society is against that, but what about ultra puritanism? Imagine the Imperial version of the Eldar. Worshiping their gods like the humans worship the Emperor. Burning and killing everything that is not Eldar, because the galaxy is theirs and everyone else is dirty alien heretics responsible for all the surffering. Even their fallen (aka. everyone not an Exodite) brethren are to be exterminated or converted.

Corsairs/Ourcasts can go any direction, as aren't they like Eldar rogue traders without a pink slip from the Imperium? They're the people that don't like to live on craftworlds and venture their own ways. Some keep close ties to their home (craft)world, some don't.

Malevon
19-08-2008, 22:32
Pirates and Corsairs are synonyms. Yriel is referred to as a Pirate, so Pirates certainly aren't all Dark Eldar.

MrBigMr
19-08-2008, 23:26
Ok, I just remember that doesn't the BFG rulebook name the DE Pirates ("The Alien and the Pirate" I think was the name of their section)? And in Farseer Janus talks about Eldar Pirates, who the farseer says to have been their fallen brethren.

Clockwork-Knight
20-08-2008, 00:31
The mention of Eldar pirates only means that the Imperials don't really know the difference (not that they care that much about it).

Malevon
20-08-2008, 06:04
I said Pirates aren't all Dark Eldar, not no Pirates are Dark Eldar.

Poseidal
20-08-2008, 07:55
I said Pirates aren't all Dark Eldar, not no Pirates are Dark Eldar.
If they were though...

P1. All Pirates are Dark Eldar
P2. All Chaos Renegades are Pirates

C. All Chaos Renegades are Dark Eldar.

Idaan
20-08-2008, 08:45
Pirates and Corsairs are synonyms. Yriel is referred to as a Pirate, so Pirates certainly aren't all Dark Eldar. Not so much. A pirate is a freebooter, an outlaw robbing and sacking for his own, while a corsair has a support of the government which gives him leave to attack certain faction's ships in return for a safe-haven. For example sir Francis Drake was a corsair when he served Queen Elisabeth.

So Prince Yriel was a pirate (as he was an exile and an outlaw), Dark Eldar are pirates while Prince Conanmaol who fought for his Craftworld during the Gothic War was a corsair. If only GW knew the difference...:rolleyes:

I heard some whisperings awhile back in the old old fluff that there are Chaos Eldar. However these seemed to be more along the lines of individual champions who were extremely powerful and not an actual faction/group. However such a group has not been mentioned in recent fluff at all.
Bregalad strike incoming. In 5... 4... 3... 2...

Slaaneshi Slave
20-08-2008, 10:47
Outcasts are Rangers and Pathfinders. They follow the Path of the Outcast.

As to Chaos Eldar, they live on the Crone Worlds (the original Eldar homeworlds). Yes, they exist. It is also mentioned in Realms of Chaos that Eldar Chaos Champions are the most powerful mortal followers of Chaos. Take that Abbaddon.

Bregalad strike incoming. In 5... 4... 3... 2...

Muahahahaha. I see you've met him too!

Adra
20-08-2008, 11:26
Isnt it possible for Exodites who left before the fall and traveled far from the Eldar Empire to have kept some of the dark traditions of the old falling eldar? So falling eldar where into mutilation and phisical pleasure and excess, thus creating Slannesh, but what if thouse eldar became Exodites and moved so far away as to not be eaten by the warp by the fall? They would still have some of the rituals and love of excess. Wouldnt they be Dark Exodites?

Poseidal
20-08-2008, 11:41
As to Chaos Eldar, they live on the Crone Worlds (the original Eldar homeworlds). Yes, they exist. It is also mentioned in Realms of Chaos that Eldar Chaos Champions are the most powerful mortal followers of Chaos. Take that Abbaddon.
If only they were given rules. Also, it begs the question whether Ahra is like a 'going renegade' Eldar, when you have the original Chaos Eldar from the time of the fall.

Muahahahaha. I see you've met him too!
I think Exodites are far less likely to go Chaotic than the Tau though. The Exodites whole society is based around the danger of Chaos; the Tau are quite unaware.

MrBigMr
20-08-2008, 11:45
Outcasts are Rangers and Pathfinders. They follow the Path of the Outcast.
Don't you mean Rangers and Pathfinders are outcasts? Doesn't the BFG Eldar fleets split into outcast and craftworld ones? In other words they're large groups that have left the craftworld behind them via ships. At least my friend is running an outcast fleet, though after he realized his unique paintjob was actually almost identical to one of the craftworld, he decided to do it as a sort of corsair fleet which still had ties to the craftworld.

Isnt it possible for Exodites who left before the fall and traveled far from the Eldar Empire to have kept some of the dark traditions of the old falling eldar? So falling eldar where into mutilation and phisical pleasure and excess, thus creating Slannesh, but what if thouse eldar became Exodites and moved so far away as to not be eaten by the warp by the fall? They would still have some of the rituals and love of excess. Wouldnt they be Dark Exodites?
I don't know. I mean, the Exodites left well before the craftworlders. They left before things even started going south. Some of the craftworlders were haging there until the end, and as a result were caught up in the blast.

Or at least that's how I've understood it. Could be wrong. Most likely am.

Slaaneshi Slave
20-08-2008, 11:51
Yes, that's what I meant. :p

Ubermensch Commander
20-08-2008, 20:37

Not really. The Exodites, being Exodites, turned their back on the decadent practices that were developing amongst the Pre-Fall Eldar. That is WHY they left. They would not have kept the dark traditions of the Pre-Fall Eldar. If they were into that stuff (see Decadence and Debauchery) they would not have chosen to live on the fringes of the empire but instead would have stayed in the area of what is now the Eye o Terror. Exodites shun the excesses of the old Eldar. So there are Dark Eldar....but no Dark Exodites. This is not to say some Exodites couldnt be drawn into Pirate fleets or into Commoraugh, but it would be rare individuals, not groups, and they would then become Dark Eldar since they no longer practice the Exodite ways. Kinda like a Space Marine turning his back on the Emperor. He becomes a Chaos Space Marine.

Gropius
23-08-2008, 16:02
I think Outcasts refers to all the Eldar that do not follow a path on a craftworld, but have left it behind, although they can still be more or less loyal to their caftworld (or not). This would include rangers, pathfinders corsairs/pirates.