PDA

View Full Version : Tyranids or Tau?

Black Templar
05-11-2005, 17:48
I want to collect a new army, and I have decided on either 'nids or tau. Help me decide.

I want 'nids becuase i've never won against them and they also look good to convert.

I want tau because they have nice looking models and a few good special rules.

Vote what you think i should collect and post why.

Help appreciated.

mattjgilbert
05-11-2005, 17:57
It depends on whether you want to start right away or not. The new nid codex is out so you can make a start on that straight away. You'll have to wait 4 or 5 months for the new Tau codex but you could collect some of the core units you know will not be changing much. On the assumption that you are starting now and the nid codex is out, I voted nids.

Son of Morkai
05-11-2005, 18:00
Simple. Kroot.

Now, seriously... wait until the Tau Empires book comes out before making a decision. A good deal of info is in the rumor forum, but it can still change. Or not. Or something. But I always feel better when I have the book in hand and know that nothing will be changing for a few years.

So, if you have to make a choice now, don't choose just because of the rules. Choose because you like the models, have some conversion ideas, or like the fluff. And even then, fluff and models will be changing for the Tau.

Black Templar
05-11-2005, 18:42
I'll wait until more votes and reasons appear, but at the moment its looking like 'nids because i have money at the moment and may not in 5 months!!

Bloodthirster90
05-11-2005, 19:04
I voted for nids. why? because they have some hella cool models that look great and just own in every way (unless they are up against my Ultras :evil: ) but seriously, Tyranids are just so cool. I'm doing them when i finish my ultras.

starlight
05-11-2005, 19:14
Bugs now, Tau later. :D

Seriously.

Brush your teeth
05-11-2005, 19:54
ive voted nids dsimply because the models are super cool, all i think of when i see tau is transformers (i will get my optimus prime battlesuit eventually)

Terrordar
05-11-2005, 20:20
I voted nids for a simple reason.

There entire army, is completely usable.

Every army has 1, or 2 units, that really are just "Eh" (some, like Eldar, its more thena few)

The Tyranids are far more beefy.

Norminator
05-11-2005, 20:28
Nids are nice. However, I voted Tau as, from the rumours I here, the new models should look very nice, and there will be a lot more versatility. If you want to get started soon, by all means choose Nids. But if you can wait, Tau would probably be the best (you could get some FW stuff for tau, as that won't be outdated by the new codex, except possibly the Piranhas/Tetras).

Black Templar
06-11-2005, 06:15
After talking to people I am starting to be lured by tau more than 'nids. Only because the new models look like they'll be good.

I'll still wait for more reasons, get pursuading!!

starlight
06-11-2005, 06:28
It all depends on how much you want to start *right now*.

If sooner is better, I'd go Nids. Oddly enough, that's exactly what I'm doing. :D

If you aren't in any hurry, wait to see what the Tau look like and then choose.

Although I plan to do a Tau Army eventually as well, but that's just me. :D

Gavmo
06-11-2005, 08:50
Bugs now, Tau later.

Yep, I second that.

Olith
06-11-2005, 09:32
I voted nids for a simple reason.

There entire army, is completely usable.

Every army has 1, or 2 units, that really are just "Eh" (some, like Eldar, its more thena few)

The Tyranids are far more beefy.

I'm sure this is a prime goal for all new books now. I can't think of any un-usable units in the Space Marine codex either and for fantasy the Wood Elf book certinaly makes you think hard which, from all the options you will be taking. I see no reason why the new Tau book would be any different, let's hope anyway.

To the OP: I always will advise people to go with the army they love most for collecting reasons and not for anything battlefield wise. You seem to like both here though so I will say in my opinion that the Tyranids are an army without personality. In that they are a horde of beasties that just fight and attempt to surge over the galaxy. That may be fine for you, but if you prefer to make up characters for your army or associate background and stories with them then go for the Tau.

Icewalker
06-11-2005, 15:16
Bugs. You get a lot more out of playing with nids than you do with Tau. Tau is sit and shoot and not versatile where nids you can do so many different things. Much more versatile and fun. Nids all the way.

imrhati
06-11-2005, 15:34
i actaully play both armies and find that tau are a much funner army to play with and more rewarding to use.

Black Templar
06-11-2005, 15:37
At the moment the votes are going heavily in favour of 'nids, but it seems about equal with reasons, so i'll wait until the tay codex is out and then maybe do this poll again and see the results.

Thanks for all your help.

Icewalker
06-11-2005, 16:29
At the moment the votes are going heavily in favour of 'nids, but it seems about equal with reasons, so i'll wait until the tay codex is out and then maybe do this poll again and see the results.

Thanks for all your help.
My dad plays Tau so I'll be getting this too. In most cases though, I just can't stand Tau cause it's so boring to play against. It's a sit and shoot army that is annhilated when against cc oriented armies. Lamo. Necrons spell doom for Tau. Then the game is over once the lord starts veiling left and right.

Norminator
06-11-2005, 16:43
My dad plays Tau so I'll be getting this too. In most cases though, I just can't stand Tau cause it's so boring to play against. It's a sit and shoot army that is annhilated when against cc oriented armies. Lamo. Necrons spell doom for Tau. Then the game is over once the lord starts veiling left and right.

Actually, I won against Necrons with my Tau today. The lord was defeated in CC by my FW, and the hammerhead blew the monolith up. It was 1000 pts, I lost 266pts and my opponent lost 712. So :p

immortal99
06-11-2005, 16:58
go with tyranids! they are so cool! and there is loads of converaion opertunities and its not hard to make a completely origional colour scheme.

Icewalker
06-11-2005, 17:19
Actually, I won against Necrons with my Tau today. The lord was defeated in CC by my FW, and the hammerhead blew the monolith up. It was 1000 pts, I lost 266pts and my opponent lost 712. So :p
Good sir, I said that they get destroyed in cc. I didn't say that they always got destroyed. Just said destroyed. I've lost to Tau once before. On another note; your fire warriors killed a lord in cc?! that is really really funny.

Terrordar
06-11-2005, 17:42
Funnily enough, I've seen Fire Warriors kill a Hive Tyrant in close combat. That was rich.

Anyway, go nids, even if the Tyrant gets killed by almost anything :D

Norminator
06-11-2005, 18:29
Good sir, I said that they get destroyed in cc. I didn't say that they always got destroyed. Just said destroyed. I've lost to Tau once before. On another note; your fire warriors killed a lord in cc?! that is really really funny.

He didn't seem to be able to roll any high numbers, but he still took down about seven fire warriors (and that was about half of all the points he lost). The incredible thing is that it was a CC lord - warscythe and destroyer! All I lost were about 15 firewarriors and a devilfish, while he lost his flayed ones, about 11 warriors, two wraiths, a monolith, a lord (on destroyer), 2 scarab bases and a destroyer.

Back on topic, I think that this victory showed my tau aren't boring - I had quite a lot more fun than I would have had with my Space Marines. To say that they are just a shooty army is unfair, as a Shas'o has WS4, T4, S5, I5 and 4 Wounds/Attacks (btw, hope that doesn't breach forum rules).

Black Templar
06-11-2005, 19:33
The great thing about necrons is that if you kill all their warriors and scarabs you can usually cause them to phase out!!!

A Land raider crusader can obliterate a squad of necron warriors if its within 12".........I love crusaders.(we are going slightly off topic here, but who cares)?

Norminator
06-11-2005, 19:53
Ah, but Crons score glancing hits on rolls of 6 :eek:

Math Mathonwy
06-11-2005, 20:22
To say that they are just a shooty army is unfair, as a Shas'o has WS4, T4, S5, I5 and 4 Wounds/Attacks (btw, hope that doesn't breach forum rules).
They are just a shooty army but probably the most fun shooty army of the lot (well, orks are another good contender when they're made shooty).

The great thing about necrons is that if you kill all their warriors and scarabs you can usually cause them to phase out!!!
Despite the three exclamation marks at the end of your sentence I must point out an inaccuracy in your post. Or maybe not an inaccuracy per se, but one that would appear so to a casual observer: killing scarabs has nothing to do with the phase out.

evil
06-11-2005, 20:57
gundam vs alien?
nids it is then

Dirt_Nappin'
06-11-2005, 21:12
It will really depend on your style of play. I voted NIDs as I tend to like HTH armies for the challenge of getting close enough to engage the enemy.

Tau are very pretty army to build and they get their primary HTH out of the Kroot which some folks refuse to use. So go with your style of play is my advise.

Kei Huan
06-11-2005, 21:58
I agree it depends on how you want to play. Bugs are good at HTH and can do some shooting. They have a lot options.

Tau have nice models and are shooty. However, unless they completely change the entire army in the next book (which they shouldn't IMO) they're not good at all in HTH.

So if your style is more combat go with the bugs (my vote) or if you like a lot of shooting with good weapons go with tau.

blackroyal
06-11-2005, 23:12
I play nids, and I am considering "Air Force" Tau (Like the Dark Eldar version). If you play Templars curently, then do Tau for a change of pace. Otherwise go for nids.

oompaloompa
07-11-2005, 02:10
I voted Tau cause i love putting the models together and painting them. I find them a very fun army to model and play and with a bit of imagination the Tau are really fun to convert.

But then the Tyranids are the only army that scares the hell out of me, I can't think on how to beat them. So many little scuttly things to shoot then all the big ones to eat you and then some times it's vice-versa!:eek:

Icewalker
07-11-2005, 10:51
They are just a shooty army but probably the most fun shooty army of the lot (well, orks are another good contender when they're made shooty).
The best shooty ork army as you know is the Feral Ork lists. I love it ONLY because we can use squigoths. *STOMP* *MASH* *SCREAMS* *KA-BOOM* DEATH AND DESTRUCTION! Yay! fun! shooting left and right.

Honestly, if you want something that's really off the wall (or balanced shootyness and cc) I would go w/ feral orks.

Wiseman
07-11-2005, 11:26
nids all the way

Black Templar
07-11-2005, 14:49
Wow, we have gone from tyranids and tau to necrons and orks.

The poll says that more of you like 'nids, but could someone offer an explanation of why tau people are posting more than 'nid people. (something to do with armies or not)?....

.....On second thoughts, who cares.

Zoink
07-11-2005, 15:09
Go with nids:

They're great H-H and can be good at shooty if you want. They have a far bigger variety in terms of the kinds of army you can create.They have cool models with loads of plastics. They have monstrous creatures. They get genestealers. Everyone fears them.

I could go on and on.

Tau are lily-livered imposters who should be chased back to the design studio and shot. Along with the Necrons. ;)

Amsoly
07-11-2005, 15:19
Well here's the thing. Tau and Tyranids are the same race- I explained this in another post.

Both start with a T, both are aliens, both are purple...

Go with nids if you want H-H and Tau if you want to light people up (no pun intended).

Jeru
07-11-2005, 15:46
I voted nids just because there is so much you can do with the army look wise. Tau are pretty uniform in that regard.

I actually came to the same deicision as you couple years back when I was starting 40k. I ended up going w/ Nids just because I liked the overall versatility and the different models. I now am starting Tau as well.

My nids are only like 50% painted though (I paint slowly and only paint in bursts, because I burn out pretty quickly painting gaunts over and over).

On the otherhand Tau are infinitely easier to paint. While details can add to the degree, I don't think anyone could argue against this point.

Black Templar
08-11-2005, 16:16
Amsoly-
Tau and 'nids are not the same race, 'nids sweep the galaxy devouring everything in their path. The Tau you can actually have a civil conversation with. And 'nids are not always purple, they are whatever colour you want them to be.

Zoink-
I agree about shooting necrons.

Amsoly
08-11-2005, 18:56
Amsoly-
Tau and 'nids are not the same race, 'nids sweep the galaxy devouring everything in their path. The Tau you can actually have a civil conversation with. And 'nids are not always purple, they are whatever colour you want them to be.

Zoink-
I agree about shooting necrons.

BT- It's a joke! I know they aren't the same, but honestly I'd say go with 'Nids, they fit the warhammer 40k verse better :)

Norminator
08-11-2005, 18:58
Ooh, Tau are closing the gap on the poll... *come on you rail-rifles!*

The Orange
08-11-2005, 21:37
I say Tau, becasue well.. I play Tau :D .
If you like conversions then deffinetly go with the Tyranids, much easier there. But I like Tau because its a somewhat elite force, ( a 4+ basic save it nice, and you can avoid the whole "OMG not another 3+ army"), and I like to shoot form affar. Having most of your stuff shot up while trying to get close enough to shoot is just annoying :cries:.

the spook
09-11-2005, 07:14
If you're new to 40k, go for nids. If you're not, go for Tau, they are definitely a finesse army that will give you a challenge...

Black Templar
09-11-2005, 16:05
The Tau are indeed closing the gap, taking bets on which will reach 100 votes first...