PDA

View Full Version : Army Characters In Regiments Of Renown

CouncilOfWar
19-08-2008, 11:04
Firstly, forgive me if this question has already been posted elsewhere, as my browser does not seem to be loading the search tool effectively on this website.

I intend to use Regiment Of Renown Pikemen in my Empire army (Ricco's Republican Guard for example) and would like to know if I can put Empire characters in these units?

The story behind this is that the Emperor Karl Franz has witnessed first hand the courage, grim determination and sheer fighting prowess of certain mercenary regiments/bands and has offered them a regular wage they cannot refuse to form the core (of his army: they will still take up special choices) infantry in his new model standing army, which he wants to be based around a pike phalanx.

Any answers to my question about characters being allowed to join these units, such as Warrior Priests for example, would be most appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Council Of War

Condottiere
19-08-2008, 11:20
No - only DoW characters in a DoW army can join mercenary units.

CouncilOfWar
19-08-2008, 11:30
No - only DoW characters in a DoW army can join mercenary units.

Is there an official rules reference to that other than the 2004 Q+A which was pulled?

Council Of War

Condottiere
19-08-2008, 14:10
http://www.geocities.com/mi_whplayers/faqs/dow_ror_faq.txt

CouncilOfWar
19-08-2008, 18:03
Actually, this is the one I meant that was pulled, sorry. I have, since asking this question, come across a more recent faq on the www.warhammer-empire.com website that overrides it and suggests there is currently a rules loophole.

However, it appears the intention is to bring out a DOW army book once the main armies have been completed for 7th edition and thoughts are that it is likely, that once the book is released, this loophole will be closed, if not prior in a Q+A faq, and non DOW characters will not be allowed to join DOW units as you believe to be the case now.

I will work on the basis therefore that the old Warhammer Chronicles 2004 rules, in relation to this question, still apply.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Council Of War

Condottiere
19-08-2008, 18:38
There's actually a real possibility that a 7th Edition DoW book will be published? Gods be praised!

Is there a link to this FAQ?

CouncilOfWar
20-08-2008, 08:09
Here is a link to the page with all of the updated Q+As, plus the FAQ. The DOW section in the Q+A is about half to two thirds down the page.

http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=16212.0

Council Of War

Condottiere
20-08-2008, 10:07
This could be a case of RAW vs. RAI, because if any character can join any friendly unit, what's to stop some smart alecky High Elven player from joining Teclis and Caradrayan to the Dwarven High King's personal guard, and sandwiching Teclis between the High King and Caradryan, since they are friendly, if not on friendly terms?

CouncilOfWar
20-08-2008, 10:20
The fact that High Elves cannot take Dwarf DOW? ;)

No, seriously, you have a valid point and I think that the current DOW rules make for some unlikely combinations as it is. In my case, using Tilean Pikemen, the theme works, but that is not always the case as there are plenty of players who do not give much of a damn about fluff.

I think that allowing army characters to join units of DOW would only work if there were much tighter restrictions on which armies can take the DOW/ROR.

My original intention was to take Warrior Priests in the ROR pikemen regiments (as they fight with all ranks) to give them hatred and, more to the point, to make them unbreakable..... :evilgrin:

In the meantime however, I have decided that I will not allow myself to take advantage of this potential loophole and will wait to see what happens with the rules should a DOW book actually be released.

Obviously, a DOW book would be great, but my main concern is simply that DOW is continued.....

I do not like the idea of purchasing expensive ROR to then have the possibility of using them, legally, removed.

Council Of War