PDA

View Full Version : 2000pts of elves, using Eltharion

PARTYCHICORITA
19-08-2008, 15:15
Hi. I've been checking the rules for Eltharion and have come to the conclussion that he's a pretty nice character. With that in mind i've tried to come up with a list that gets the most out of his rules and items. Here it is:

-Eltharion on Stormwing
-Mage; level 2, jewel of the dusk, dispel scroll
-Mage; level 2, ring of corin, dispel scroll
-Noble mounted on eagle; dragon armour, lance, enchanted shield, ring of fury

-10 Archers
-10 Archers

-5 Silver helms
-5 Silver helms
-5 Silver helms
-5 Dragon Princes
-5 Dragon Princes, banner of Ellyrion

-Great eagle
-Great eagle

2000pts

The list looks a lot like 6th edition MSU high elves, i figure that's the best way to support flying characters. I also have a strong magic phase to max the fact that Eltharion is a level 2 wizard and took Stormwing since he's so much better than a regular flying mount. The silver helms have no shields so 3+ armor save for them.
Thanks for your comments.

GreenSpeed
19-08-2008, 15:49
This army will be very difficult to use, with no static cr. This means you have to be able to flank. but if your opponent denies you his flanks and kills stormwing say good night. you should be able to kill warmachines pretty effectively

It will have difficulty killing large blocks of infantry, plus cant effectively take on heavy cav or monsters. Chosen eat dragons princes. But given your mobility i would combi charge, send 3 units of knights into one block of infantry. And just avoid big scarry units, especially those that are stubborn or unbreakable.

enyoss
20-08-2008, 11:50
I agree that this will be a tough army to get the most out of.

The lack of any static combat resolution will be a real problem, and it also leaves you with the (perhaps) unexpected problem of where you put your mages? I'm assuming they go with the archers? If so, as your opponent I would simply sit back and force you to spend a turn or two moving those archers forwards to get your mages in range, while I use any firepower I have to eliminate the eagle or Eltharion.

At best you'll find it hard to win, and if your opponent plays Tomb Kings, Vampire Counts or Dwarfs it could all go very runny very quickly :)!

If you could squeeze just one block of infantry in there somewhere it would be an improvement. White Lions might be particularly good, as you can rely on them to take a charge and hold long enough for you to get your flank charges in (then again, with ASF almost any of the infantry could take a charge and hold these days!). I'd probably avoid Swordmasters though, as they're not really designed to be an anvil unit, which would be what you're looking for in my opinion.

Hope that's not too depressing and at least helps a little!

Cheers,

enyoss

EDIT: Just noticed the 3+ save on the Silverhelms :eek:. Without the full save on them you really will be doomed, so I'd make that a top priority if you alter the list.

Little Aaad
20-08-2008, 12:12
I think it would be fine as long as you use the lore of heavans!

PARTYCHICORITA
21-08-2008, 14:46
Static combat resolution is nice but not fundamental. Back in 6th edition all the high elves had was silver helm MSU and they did pretty well without a single model on foot. Now days ogres, wood elves and some other armies can field good list without static combat resolution and if they have enough movility they overcome it easly.