PDA

View Full Version : Help finish off my 1500 point Empire list

Firebreather
19-08-2008, 20:38
Hey there everyone. As some of you may recall, I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to Warhammer Fantasy, and I've got a game coming up in a couple days. It's going to be a 1500 point match, and I'm almost there with my Empire. I'm looking for some advice on how to round it off. Also, if it helps, my opponent is going to be playing Vampire Counts. Here's what I have currently. Please let me know what you think would be a worthwhile addition. Thanks.

Luthor Huss

Battle Wizard(Bright)-
Level 2

Battle Wizard(Light)-
Level 2

21 Swordsmen-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Duellist

Detachment-
5 Free Company

Detachment-
5 Free Company

30 Flagellants-
Prophet of Doom

10 Archers-
Huntsmen

Great Cannon

5 Outriders-
Musician
Champion

Helblaster Volley Gun

TOTAL-1330...currently, and that's without any magic items on my Battle Wizards. So, how would you take this force to 1500 points?

Makarion
19-08-2008, 23:36
I'd try and get a second melee block in - probably more swordsmen. I prefer my blocks in a 5*5 formation, which gives some ablative hits and a reliable static CR.

You can gather some points for that by dropping the champion on the outriders, and you can replace the huntsmen with an archer detachment on the new block. Likewise, the prophet on the flagellants isn't really worth the points in my opinion.

If you prefer to add magic items (and it's not a bad idea...), I'd start with the Rod of Power. It allows great flexibility in shifting from magic offense to magic defence. Other than that, I'd really only consider perhaps a dispel scroll, powerstone, the Doomfire Ring, or maybe a warbanner for the swordsmen.

Firebreather
20-08-2008, 00:04
Thanks very much for the advice, Makarion! I've taken some of your advice and made a rather revised list. Please let me know what you think.

Luthor Huss

Battle Wizard-
Level 2
Rod of Power

Battle Wizard-
Level 2
Power Stone
Doomfire Ring

25 Swordsmen-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Duellist

Detachment-
5 Free Company

Detachment-
5 Archers

25 Spearmen-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Sergeant

Detachment-
5 Free Company

Detachment-
5 Archers

25 Flagellants

Great Cannon

5 Outriders-
Musician
Champion

Helblaster Volley Gun

TOTAL-1499pts.

Kalec
20-08-2008, 05:14
Not a fan of Luthor or the Helblaster. Luthor is too expensive for a warrior priest that doesn't get any magic toys, and the Helblaster is both expensive and unreliable. Not sure why the outriders need a champion at all. The champ has his uses, but you need every point you can get. Also, I would recommend bigger free company detachments so they can suffer some casualties (quite likely with no armor and WS 3) and still negate ranks. And knights, how could you play empire without our famous 1+ AS core cavalry?

I like the wizards and the infantry blocks. You have a good amount of magic power and defense, a couple of bound spells, the amazing rod of power, and a healthy dose of static cr, rank negators, and skirmishing screens. Flaggies are excellent, as always, and are in a big enough block to abuse martyr effectively.

Makarion
20-08-2008, 07:19
My version of your army would look something like this (trying to stay with your theme):

Warrior Priest [general]
Armour of Meteoric Iron, great weapon.
Goes with the spears (who need the hatred badly)

Battle Wizard [Lore of Beasts - cavalry and monster defence]
Level 2. Rod of Power, Powerstone.

Battle Wizard [Lore of Light - psychology defence]
Level 2, barded warhorse. Doomfire Ring, Powerstone.
Goes with the outriders.

25 Swordsmen.
Musician, standard.

9 free company detachment.
(I'd prefer halberds or swords as a detachment myself)
6 archer detachment.
(handgunner detachments are good, too - but archers skirmish and can effectively be your marchblockers and missile screen)

24 Spearmen.
Musician, standard, champion.
(Note, that the champion is here to protect the warrior priest from challenges you cannot otherwise deal with)

9 free company detachment.
6 archer detachment.

25 flagellants.

1 great cannon.

5 outriders.
barding.
(normally I'd include a musician in fast cavalry, but as move or shoot troops, it's moot that they can be fast cav - the barding is more worthwhile in my opinion)

1 helblaster. 110
(I'd replace this with a second great cannon if you can, though, although against some opponents, the threat of the helblaster can be worth gold. If you do, buy the horseless wizard a mount)

Total: 1499

Kalec
20-08-2008, 15:16
The benefit of outriders being fast cav is being able to shoot in any direction, which is worth a lot because they are move or shoot, so the less moving they need to do, the better.

Firebreather
20-08-2008, 16:17
Excellent, thanks for all the great advice everyone. I really quite like the look of your proposed list, Makarion. Very nice, and I might end up using something just like that. The Beast wizard is particularly appealing, actually. I'm going to look into getting some of the models I'll need to use a list like that, and see what I can come up with.

Thanks very much, Kalec and Makarion!

Hampa
21-08-2008, 13:18
It would be weird to have luther to as hes mounted, wich means he cant join any units. He need to be in a unit, for them u make use of his hatred and other bonuses

Makarion
21-08-2008, 16:22
In 7th edition, it's perfectly ok to have a mounted character in a unit on foot.