PDA

View Full Version : 40k mix races?

SabrX
19-08-2008, 23:17
Is it possible in the 40k world to have mix race? For an example, a human copulate with an Eldar. Or are all races in the 40k universe not compatible when different gene pools or DNA splice together?

As far as I know, the only race successful of mixing with other races are Tyranids.

Alric Rahl
19-08-2008, 23:52
I think that Eldar Rangers sometimes mate with human females. I could be wrong though...

Edit: I just read this in another thread;

"Chief Librarian Astropath IlIiyan Nastase

Illiyan was born to a human mother on the world of Badab following the expulsion of the tyrant there in 912 of the current millennium. His father was an unknown Eldar mercenary. The youngster was gene-tested at birth in accord with the law and subsequently taken into Imperial custody. He was reared in the government compound by the Imperial Mission which took over the running of Badab after the war.

Along with other potential psychics he undertook the journey to Earth in 924 where further tests led to the eventual soul-binding in 925. From that point Nastase was recruited into the Administratum as an Astropath. He attained the ranks of Secundus, Prefect and eventually rose to hold Consulship for four years, helping to run Terra's advisory Senate to the Master of the Adeptus Astra Telepathica. Following this he undertook four years service with the fleet, a further two years with the Dark Angels Marines and was appointed as chief of the Macragge interstellar communications link under the jurisdiction of the Ultra-Marines (965). Nastase is now 76 rears old (current year 987) but, thanks to his parentage, shows few signs of age."

Messiah
20-08-2008, 00:15
Thats old fluff, theyve changed it so thats no longer possible. The Eldar are not only a separate species from humans, they evolved in another biosphere, so biological coupling, would be difficult from many perspectives, genetical as well as purely technical.

stainawarjar
20-08-2008, 07:12
Well, the kroot take some dna here and there too.

Reaver83
20-08-2008, 07:40
I bet you could get something with nid's and kroot swapping DNA...

Lord Damocles
20-08-2008, 10:09
There was also a character in Necromunda (a sniper IIRC) who had an Eldar Ranger as a father.

Quite how Eldar and humans are able to mate is unclear, but most GW science is handwavian at best anyway. Perhaps it has something to do with both races having been created from the same/similar genetic blueprint?

DapperAnarchist
20-08-2008, 10:19
Apart from Eldar genetic material has very little in common with Human DNA, seeing as it has I think 20 bases...

That fluff really shows it age - Marines becoming such late in life, Astropath marines, changing chapters, halfbreeds... Ahhh...

Helicon_One
20-08-2008, 14:17
Edit: I just read this in another thread;

"Chief Librarian Astropath IlIiyan Nastase

Illiyan was born to a human mother on the world of Badab following the expulsion of the tyrant there in 912 of the current millennium. His father was an unknown Eldar mercenary. The youngster was gene-tested at birth in accord with the law and subsequently taken into Imperial custody."

Just a point: the words 'unknown Eldar mercenary' could be interpreted as meaning the father was a human mercenary working for the Eldar, and that title of Chief Librarian Astropath could be seen as a title that applies to the non-Astartes psykers who serve the chapter (ie. Astropaths serving within the Chapter Librarium become 'honourary Librarians') if one wishes to avoid ret-conning the original fluff out of existance.

The Anarchist
20-08-2008, 20:37
anyone able to tell me where that little bit of fluff comes from? i would assume rouge trader or second eddition.

PondaNagura
20-08-2008, 21:00
no idea.

but there are kroot who nitpick with what genes they take in to gain strength from fallen enemies; and then there are genestealer cults who impregnate alien species, and slowly populate a planet with stratified hybrids until they eventually get full blown genestealers that run amok.