PDA

View Full Version : Would does it take to get you hot under the collar?

alphastealer
20-08-2008, 07:28
Hi,

I am generally quite a relaxed person who can take a lot in my stride before I get hot under the collar. I know there are people out there who are way more relaxed than me and others who are more highly strung.

I am curious as to which of the following situations would get to you and what you would actually do about it. Also would you play against someone if they annoyed you in word/deed in some of these ways:

1) Your opponent hasn't bathed in days (smells like weeks) and likes to keep close to you.

2) Your opponent likes to touch your models while they are busy eating a greasy, saucy hamburger.

3) Your opponent has more than 50% proxy in his army or uses bases with a stripe of paint on to represent a range of different units.

4) Your opponent bangs on the table when dice don't roll well for him/her.

5) Your opponent always uses a set of 'special' red dice when he wants to roll leadership tests and a different set of 'special' black dice when he wants to roll for rending...and somehow (must be magic) he seems to make those rolls more often than not.

6) Your opponent constructs an army list on the spot once he has had a good look at what you have brought along for a battle.

7) Your opponent quickly picks up dice he has just rolled and tells you that he made all those 4+ saves even though you didn't get to see it.

8) You catch your opponent moving a few models into better positions when he thinks you are not looking, then tells you that they were about to fall over and he was just straightening them...yet somehow they are now magically within charge range...even though you could have sworn they were not one phase ago.

9) Your opponent offers to give your scores to the tourney administrator after you have just beaten him...only to find out later that he gave a different score to the administrator.

10) Your opponent objects to every partial line of sight, in/out of cover, range issue, slowing the whole game down.

11) You seem to have less dice than when you started the game and your opponent (the only other guy around) denies taking them.

These are my examples and most of these tend to get me hot under the collar. I usually avoid these people or if they persist then I ask them to back off.

Have you been in these situations?
Do they get you hot under the collar?
What would you do about it?

Master Stark
20-08-2008, 07:37
I think I've been in most of these situations, and generally they do get me pretty irritated. I won't get snappy or aggressive until several of them cumulate, which is pretty rare. Most of the time I just grin and bear it.

40K is kinda like sex. Even when it's bad, it's still pretty good!

Warpcrafter
20-08-2008, 07:44
I usually start pointing out to them in a slightly (Very slightly) elevated tone of voice and try to make eye contact with anyone nearby who might start paying attention. Either the offender escalates the incident and tries to convince the bystanders that he is actually the injured party or he cuts it out. If he doesn't, I start packing my stuff while listing the things he's done that pissed me off, repeating them over and over and ignoring his protests, all the while not making eye contact with him. If he gets loud or otherwise troublesome, I would go straight to the nearest store employee and explain the situation, but it's never come to that. (Sort of like Ceasar Milan, the Geek Whisperer.) Actually, I've only had to take such action once, when some loser bought a bunch of forest goblin spider riders and insisted on using piles of parts for a unit. I guess from his shocked reaction that A: I must have looked really pissed off, more than I actually felt and B: He was genuinely surprised that I objected to his behaviour. I'm always going along with people who are just a little bit irritating, so I don't think I've ever overreacted.

Malevon
20-08-2008, 07:51
Any of those would bother me. I just plain wouldn't play against someone proxying an army or using bases without models.

centy
20-08-2008, 07:56
The one that bothers me is when someone posts asking for comment on their army and you take the time to reply and explain why. Then some tosser comes along and get irritated cause they disagree.
So you get irritated back and admin go naughty ban you for that.

So what do i do, start a new post and call him AGAIN in large letters then delete them outa favourites.

Hell i even won a best army award forthe army i was commenting on so i feel qualified to give an opionion on blood angels.

Nostro
20-08-2008, 08:07
Spelling mistakes in thread titles?

Melchor
20-08-2008, 08:13
[...]

Erm... :eyebrows:

But seriously, I haven't run into situations like that luckily. One of my clubmates has though. After several 'irregularities' he 'kindly' told his opponent to stuff his miniatures where the sun didn't shine and go back to his mates. If he indeed had any. :D

At a later tournament, he played the GF of said opponent. She was a total **** as well apparently.

Doctor Thunder
20-08-2008, 08:15
The one that really gets me is when someone starts telling me how I "should" make or play my army. As in, "Space Wolves would never field that, your army is unfluffy."

Panzerkanzler
20-08-2008, 08:21
All the mentioned points would make me enter a bad mood. Touching models, without asking first, is really bad manners. When I see people reaching after a mini, and they haven't asked, I smack their hands. The only issue that wouldn't get me pissed off is #11. It's easy to lose dice under/in some pieces of terrain and I sometimes have some dice fall down on the floor, after which they can roll off in any direction. But I wouldn't be gentle with the guy I was playing with if I found out he stole from me.

Also, I've never understood why some people don't shower. I've been on tourneys that took place over an antire weekend. Most people present had come there from far away and slept there. As the tourney was in a school building we had ample acess to the showers. Yet, for some reason, lots of disgusting players never visited the showers, and collectively they stank so badly that I left one day early. It's strange though, because most gamers I know of don't fall in the classical geek category. They dress like most people, act normally and aren't more eccentric than the average person.

TheOverlord
20-08-2008, 08:23
Thunder, you can't say that, that's unfluffy! :D

For me it's people who don't know when to shut up. I mean, really don't know when to shut up. Past the point of temperance into the threshold of flip-table inducing rage don't know when to shut up.

I mean, I'm painting here, can you PLEASE stop distracting me with your yapping? Seriously?

bork da basher
20-08-2008, 08:25
in my long gaming career ive come accross all of the above and proberly many more. ive only ever lost it against one player who spent the entire game more or less making things up as he went along, giving himself magic items that when i snuck a look at his list wernt there. moving models further than they could go, snatching his dice rolls up before i could see them and generally being a irritating and insulting t**t. all this i could grit my teeth to and get on with it but at the end of the battle he slams his case onto the table, knocking to the floor a full painted unit and breaking or chipping most of them and then threw the lid open and crushed another unit underneath that. i looked on in disbelief and waited for an apology that didnt come. he barely even looked up from putting his models away. i flipped on him, he told me to go and do something a bit insulting to my mother so i broke his nose and threw him out.

ive never met a person so unbelieably obnoxious in or out of the hobby and punching someone isnt exactly the answer but my god he deserved it and i cant say it didnt feel good. it got a round of applause from the other guys there so i assume i wasnt the first to this guy had crossed.

Panzerkanzler
20-08-2008, 08:26

I don't know about that one! Bad sex can be pretty awkward. Especially the day after, when everyone present is sober and/or have come into posession of all their senses and rational thoughts enter the brains again. I'd much prefer a bad game of 40k than bad sex, the potential for bad-ness in the latter case being so much superior to the former :D

TheOverlord
20-08-2008, 08:32
You mean waking up beside a pig... and you're an elephant? :D

Brother Gabriel
20-08-2008, 08:34
All of the above things would annoy me but really most of them never happened to me and i play for some years now.
But whats happened a lot to me and has caused some smaller arguments, is if my opponent doesnt measure correctly.
Especially one person comes here to my mind. First he measures the moving distance correctly with the measuring tape, then he puts the tape away and moves the minis at least 1inch more than allowed.
And since he plays Tau and Dark Eldar thats super annoying.
The funniest moment was, he was trying to jump back over a piece of terrain which he jumped over before... now i took the measuring tape and proved him, that the terrain is to large. Funniest thing is that he tried to argue, that he could do it before.

Moriarty
20-08-2008, 08:37
Oooh, I must be lucky, never had a problem with any of those. Just the odd occasion of measuring moves from the front to the back of the base, in which case I explain the propper proceedure.

I get some odd looks, though, as there are times when my (non GW) dice roll spectacularly well. Usually passes when I offer to let the other chap throw them for their turns.

Zazoo
20-08-2008, 08:57
Ive had a few of those happen to me, then again being 6'4 does have its advantages that a simple raised eyebrow tends to stop most silly things that people do.

But one of my pet hates is a player that complains when he is losing and gets all happy when he isnt. (He hates playing me because I normally beat him)
Another player I know will always try to bend the rules in his favour but only against people that dont know any better, he will also fail to tell people about the bad points on his units.

Fay_Redd
20-08-2008, 08:57
ok.

Numero 1. we are all pretty clean in oxford GW, so no not that one.

Numero 2. well we arnt allowed to eat in our store so this is never a problem but there is one guy who has some kind of 'oooh shiney model' syndrome and cant help but pick everything up for a "close look" even the damn objectives. yes this one does

numero 3. again oxford gw saves the day. we are required to take fully painted and built models in games, if we play smaller games than our maximum points we are allowed to proxy wargear and the such to get in the points.

numero 4. dosnt really happen TBH. but there is this one kid who when the game turns against him, he starts fething singing. granted he dosnt do it much anymore but he used to pipe up with old war style singing, "we shall keep gooooing, and never stop" that kinda thing, that used to get me down.

numero 5. Lady Luck is a beautiful woman and jet black dice with silver dimples are how to represent her.

numero 6. this is often a problem happened back on sunday actually at my gaming club, "hey wanna game" "sure" spends 15 fething minutes working out 750 orks.

numero 7. there are a few that pick up dice that were clearly misses or failed saves when they think im not looking, which has now forced me to scrutinizingly watch every dice roll.

numero 8. not really no.

numero 9. ive never been to a tourney so no.

nuemro 10. these are what many people call lawyers, rules lawyers, roll lawyers, monkeybannanashampoo lawyers.

numero 11. i always take my opponent through a process of dice sorting after every game, i always have 12 red, 10 black and 10 white dice.

Plastic Rat
20-08-2008, 09:02
in my long gaming career ive come accross all of the above and proberly many more. ive only ever lost it against one player who spent the entire game more or less making things up as he went along, giving himself magic items that when i snuck a look at his list wernt there. moving models further than they could go, snatching his dice rolls up before i could see them and generally being a irritating and insulting t**t. all this i could grit my teeth to and get on with it but at the end of the battle he slams his case onto the table, knocking to the floor a full painted unit and breaking or chipping most of them and then threw the lid open and crushed another unit underneath that. i looked on in disbelief and waited for an apology that didnt come. he barely even looked up from putting his models away. i flipped on him, he told me to go and do something a bit insulting to my mother so i broke his nose and threw him out.

ive never met a person so unbelieably obnoxious in or out of the hobby and punching someone isnt exactly the answer but my god he deserved it and i cant say it didnt feel good. it got a round of applause from the other guys there so i assume i wasnt the first to this guy had crossed.

Dude, I applaud as well. As Malcolm Rheynolds said: "They say you shouldn't hit a man with a closed fist, bit it is on occasion hilarious.".

Seriously though, the problem with a lot of society and especially the internet is that we've become SO civilized that ******s have nothing to fear. Somebody I saw on here has a sig saying something like 'savages were more polite because they'd get killed if they weren't.'

I totally agree. I don't think we should go around giving people bloody noses all the time, but on the rare occasion, when it's warranted a good thump upside the head works a lot better than a lecture on conduct or sportsmanship.

Zazoo
20-08-2008, 10:07
Dude, I applaud as well. As Malcolm Rheynolds said: "They say you shouldn't hit a man with a closed fist, bit it is on occasion hilarious.".

Seriously though, the problem with a lot of society and especially the internet is that we've become SO civilized that ******s have nothing to fear. Somebody I saw on here has a sig saying something like 'savages were more polite because they'd get killed if they weren't.'

I totally agree. I don't think we should go around giving people bloody noses all the time, but on the rare occasion, when it's warranted a good thump upside the head works a lot better than a lecture on conduct or sportsmanship.

I have to completely agree...

Adra
20-08-2008, 10:14

Thats not really true. Ive had some really bad games of 40k..... :p

I think games workshop has a bit of a problem. Basicly due to some of the more geeky and introvert aspects of the games it does attract persons without a great deal of interpersonnal skills. As a result the ass hole ratio is much higher than in other hobbies. Some players really just dont know how to be around other people. I mean come on...washing ones body isnt exactly rocket science is it?

Im not much of a fighter. Like Dylan Moran, if faced with three young men who wanted to hurt me i worked out it would take at least three of me to take out one of them :) In an GW setting I prefer to be a beeatch and destroy them with insults and generaly get everyone laughing at them. Is that good enough?

The Laughing Man!
20-08-2008, 11:44
1) At my local we have a guy like this, I keep as far away from him as possible and I have never played him and I never will.

2) Food isn’t allowed in store for this very reason but if it was I just wouldn't let him.

3) It depends on how well I know them; I've played games in the past with friends that have been all proxy just to try out a new list without committing to buying something. So if its a situation like that and as long as everything is clearly marked I wouldn't really mind, I doubt the game would be as fun as it could be but I would still play.

4) Just tell them to chill out, depending on how bad it is/gets I might stop the game.

5) Ask if I can do the same. If he lets me I doubt that they are fixed. If not then we could have a problem and I'd tell a staff member after the game to keep an eye on him (this one has actually happened turned out he was cheating).

6) I usually ask to see an army list before the game to avoid this and again I play all my games at my local GW so he would have to have a list with him to play anyway.

7) It depends on what I was doing at the time, if I wasn't paying attention then i will usually give them the benefit of the doubt but if it genuinely seemed like they where trying to prevent me looking at their dice rolls I'd confront them about it.

8) I'd move them back. It’s the same when people measure distances wrong (front to back and all that). Its something that actually really annoys me.

9) I don't go to tourneys because this kind of thing happens far too often.

10) This wouldn't bother me so much, If I can't see him he can't see me so we'll just sit there and have a merry little draw.

11) Look around on the floor for them if I can't find them I'd just ask again and maybe ask him to count out his dice for me.

Most of these don't annoy me that much but 4, 8, and 9 are probably the worst, although if I know for certain that someone is cheating then that really does bug me.

slade the slaughter
20-08-2008, 11:49
I don’t mind people touching my stuff if they ask first.
But god help them if they ever broke anything.

I do hate stinky people, I cycle for miles everyday to get to
work, so on the hottest of days, I will need a quick blast of
lynx. But still if you can smell yourself it’s time for a shower.

But what really grinds my gears in people for have an unpainted
army or worse still a proxy army, then go on to tell me that
my converted Tyranid army http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/painting/135425-hive-fleet-humanids-new-post.html
(which has all the legal WYSIWYG
and is fully painted and based), “your army is unfluffy why would a
Hive Tyrant have robot legs?”

Next time somesays that to me, my reply will be
“why would a marine strip all the paint off his army
and paint his skin plastic grey and stand on a black man hole cover?”

march10k
20-08-2008, 11:49
The one I have the biggest problem with is the magic 17" 12" move. Tau players with their accursed skimmers (and 12 year old generals) seem to be the worst offenders. They seem to measure from the front of the hull, then move the front of the base to the point of measurement :eyeroll:

Khornies & milk
20-08-2008, 11:52
For me it doesn't matter where it is, what the situation is, or what's going on at the time, an Ass is an Ass and I'm afraid I don't suffer them lightly at all, and they get put in their place quick-smart because it ruins the fun for everyone, and it shouldn't be tolerated.

x-esiv-4c
20-08-2008, 12:05
anyone who doesn't understand the basics of personal hygiene.

EVIL INC
20-08-2008, 12:06
1) Your opponent hasn't bathed in days (smells like weeks) and likes to keep close to you.
2) Your opponent likes to touch your models while they are busy eating a greasy, saucy hamburger.
3) Your opponent has more than 50% proxy in his army or uses bases with a stripe of paint on to represent a range of different units.
5) Your opponent always uses a set of 'special' red dice when he wants to roll leadership tests and a different set of 'special' black dice when he wants to roll for rending...and somehow (must be magic) he seems to make those rolls more often than not.
6) Your opponent constructs an army list on the spot once he has had a good look at what you have brought along for a battle.
7) Your opponent quickly picks up dice he has just rolled and tells you that he made all those 4+ saves even though you didn't get to see it.
8) You catch your opponent moving a few models into better positions when he thinks you are not looking, then tells you that they were about to fall over and he was just straightening them...yet somehow they are now magically within charge range...even though you could have sworn they were not one phase ago.
9) Your opponent offers to give your scores to the tourney administrator after you have just beaten him...only to find out later that he gave a different score to the administrator.
10) Your opponent objects to every partial line of sight, in/out of cover, range issue, slowing the whole game down.
11) You seem to have less dice than when you started the game and your opponent (the only other guy around) denies taking them.

1. Been there. What we did at my local store was just tell the guy(s), "Look, you need to start taking a bath. You smell bad" Then, we just avoided him (them) when they came in smelling and wouldnt play them.
2. I tell my opponant, I will wait until they are done eating before we start the game. I point out that I wouldnt want them to get stuff all over thier models during the game because I would get upset if I accidently got stuff on mine. Roundabout way of telling them not to get thier crap on my stuff. I also try to always remove my own casualties and point out that I dont mind reaching over the table to get them as I am tall enough to reach without affecting anything.
3. I honestly dont mind so long as they dont start switching them up during the game and let me know beforehand (remind me when I ask in the game, what is what. I also will always try to accept or challenge a "done" army before a proxy one unless I am taking pity on a kid/newb.
4. I just tell them to stop because it affects the game in that it knocks models over and stuff. Make a mental note to not play them again unless they apologize and actually stopps. If they do not stop, I just finish the game as swiftly as possible.
5. Mental note, never play this person again. Chances are, they are not weighted and he is just supersticious.
6. Always bring a couple of different lists and have extra models. Put a variety of models on the board that you dont plan on using just to throw them off. If I see that they are customizing thier list specifically to counter what he thinks I have, I will just switch lists. No worse then what they are doing and the new list cant be tailered to his models as it was done before I walked into the store.
7. Again, mental note, no longer play this opponant. get a witness to watch the game (usually easily done as people enjoy watching games with well painted models and mine are). When I make my next dice rolls, make sure to put them out where my opponant can see them and tell them so it is so that they can see them. Subtle way of letting them know you suspected foul play. One thing I personally do is rather then picking up the "made rolls", I only pick up the failed ones and leave the "made" ones lay for my opponant to see. Then I use the dice that failed to make my next round of rolls (if there is an immediate round TO roll like in the case of using the failed to hit dice to make the wound rolls for the to hits that "hit".
8. Simply tell them to put them back where they were. Stop the game right there until they do. They refuse, call a victory for yourself as the opponant has forieted. Never play that opponant again.
9. I never trust my opponant to give the scores or if I do, I make sure that I go as well and listen to what is said. If it is written, I watch and see what is written and I make sure that I go as well and watch it be handed in to avoid such foul play.
10. This is where the laser pointers come into play. I like to use the dice when there is question. 1-3, my way, 4-6 your way. Then, if they keep doing this, heck, the game is already slowed down, just do it right back to them. Those who do that usually get mad when it is done back to them. If they complain, you can always just ask them why thier models get cover while your do not while it is the same situation. Mental note to never play them again.
11. I pay close attention to what dice my opponant uses and when special dice are used such as scatter, I keep them off the table and away from my opponant unless they need to borrow it in which case I scoop it up right after use. My reguler dice is not a huge deal as I use the big box of 36 red dice. cheap, roll well, easily replaced. More importantly, not populer so my opponants dont want them and as they are different to what they use, easily picked out.
In most cases, lost dice are found later under the table, inside a building, ect ect anyway and it was just a matter of the dice "rolling a natural 6 on thier cover save".

Zazoo
20-08-2008, 12:18
Where the dice rolling is concerned.

In South Africa where Im from we try to get everyone into the habbit of picking up the failed dice rolls, checking the dice again then carrying on.
It is very disconcerting when you spot someone picking up a dice that has failed and they insist that it didnt...

march10k
20-08-2008, 12:30

In South Africa where Im from we try to get everyone into the habbit of picking up the failed dice rolls, checking the dice again then carrying on.
It is very disconcerting when you spot someone picking up a dice that has failed and they insist that it didnt...

Well, that's simple. A picked up die is a failed roll. End of statement. Once all the failed dice are removed, you scoop up the good ones en masse for the next roll. I'd have more issues with an argument centered over whether or not all of the missed rolls had been removed before picking up the good ones for the next roll.

Adra
20-08-2008, 12:45

That is a good idea. I started using that system a few years back. Really solves any trust issues between players.

Chains and Glass
20-08-2008, 13:38
Lols.

Necron kid that kept going nuts with his dice rolls. he got what was coming anyway, his monolith has been dead before turn 3 every game he's had... against a wild assortment of armies, he is just horrible.

Tyranid guy who blatantly exploits the fact we don't know the 'nid dex. dirty little cheat.
First turn stealer charges, dodgy use of the reroll to wound upgrade (it sais reroll to wound in first round and he claims to have misread it, but he was using it as "reroll to hit and to wound on every round"... so hes a ***** that cant read and we tell him that all the time), proxies a biovore as a broodlord, smashed a mates pirahna (ironically, it bit him on the @$$ when he decided to be cool and put his hive tyrant on the top of a rock spire.... "london bridge is falling down... falling down..." springs to mind)

on the other hand. the most brilliant players i'v ever had the pleasure of versing were "benefit of the doubt", quiet and calm, good to joke around, very communicative chaps... who are exactly what the dumb@$$es try to exploit. i hate it so much :P

King Vyper
20-08-2008, 15:03
I am surprised after reading this that no one has every posted an List of Does & Do Nots for war gamers. I know some clubs and tournaments have charters and rules for governing players behavior and game play.

Why can't all of the War Gaming Websites, Forums, Podcasts, Leagues and Clubs get together and ratify an Universal Guideline for War Gamers?

Make it standard for all of the major tournaments. If we all can encourage better behavior, better sportsmanship and better game play would it not make the entire War Gaming Scene Better?

From this thread alone I could come up with.....:chrome:

The 10 Commandments of War Gaming.

1) Thou Shalt Practice Good Hygiene.

Translated: Wash your nasty a** before showing up for a game. At LEAST throw some deodorant on.

2) Thou Shall Come Ready For War.

Translated: When you show up for a game you should be prepared. That means having dice, a measuring device, templates if needed, legible & legal army list, and an army.

3) Thou Shall Know The Rules Of War.

Translated: Unless you are a new player there is NO EXCUSE for not knowing the basic mechanics of the game you are playing. Knowing how to move and fight with your army are basic fundamentals.

4) Thou Can Look But Not Adulterate Another's Models or Possessions.

Translated: If it is not yours don't touch it without the owners permission first. That includes eating messy foods around there models too. I am tempted to throw Wifes and Girlfriends in here. "Yes, Those are boobs, please stop drooling on my girlfriend"

4) Thou Shall Roll The Bones Of War Honorably.

Translated: Roll your dice in a controllable manner and always allow your opponent to see your rolls before touching or picking up the dice. Blocked, Cocked and on the floor should never count or be accepted.

5) Thou Shall Not Cheat

Translated: It Speaks for itself.

6) Thou Shall Keep Ones Unsolicited Thoughts to Ones Self.

Translated: Nobody wants a obnoxious running commentary by an opponent or worse an 3rd party on why there army, painting or troop selection sucks. This is especially true if one is trying to play a game and enjoys ones self.

Ok I got Six!

That Is far as I got Anymore?

Overt_Spy
20-08-2008, 15:25
Only one thing puts me off from playing: Being a dick.

Are you a decent human being? Can you present yourself as a normal person when playing? You're gravy by me.

TheOneWithNoName
20-08-2008, 15:37
I think gamers need to be less docile and more confrontational when it comes to these kind of things. Stop them dead in their tracks. Measuring wrong? "Hey buddy, nice 8 inch move want to try that again?" Made up items or the such in the list. "Game over, don't have time to babysit." If you tolerate it, they'll just continue doing it.

For me, I despise people who play over the agreed upon amount. I can forgive it if you're still learning the ropes, but for an experienced player there is no excuse.

SPYDER68
20-08-2008, 15:42
I for one refuse to play again somone who wont shower, if you can smell them across the table...

alphastealer
20-08-2008, 16:08
Another few things that get to me:

1) I am playing against a guy and he needs to make a critical save. He takes a few quick breaths, then rolls the dice, spinning it high up in the air (as if that will help), then when it lands and he sees he has failed the roll, he swears (a four letter word) as he bangs his fist hard on the table, knocking over most of the models in the process.

This happened twice in one game and it resulted in a few damaged models.

2) Another time, I am busy playing against a guy and another guy asks to look at one of my models (which is on the table and in play). It tell him no, then he tells me to put a dice where it is so he can have a quick look. He then picks it up, has a good look and then walks off to show it to a few buddies on the other side of the room. When I call after him to bitch, he tells me he will be quick...but invariably I need to move that model a few minutes later, and he is engrossed with a group on the otehr side of the room, and ignores me when I call to him.

3) I also get huffy when I challenge a guy to a game and he gets 2 other guys to advise him as we play. These guys often know less than he does and way less than I do, and proceed to second guess and question all the moves I make and special army specific rules I use, telling me I am cheating and trying to take advantage of their inexperienced friend.

4) I even caught a guy picking his teeth with the barbed tongue on one of my genestealers. I was stunned that someone would have the balls to do something like that.

gorgon
20-08-2008, 16:17

Once had an opponent at a GT pick up my converted winged Tyrant -- without permission -- *by the extreme tip of one wing* with the heavy metal body dangling underneath. :eek: I nearly dove across the table to get my hands under it. After I exclaimed, "what are you doing," he looked at me, shrugged and said "I pin my models." :eyebrows:

I'm sure the vein at my temple visibly throbbed, because while I pin my models too, I also don't dangle them at odd angles and put extreme stress on little joins when I'm holding them over hard surfaces. He was oblivious, and I'm sure if the wing had separated and the model hit the floor, he wouldn't have had any reaction to that either. But I would have reacted. ;)

People say violence doesn't solve anything. They're dead wrong. Violence solves a lot of things. The catch is that it may create new problems. ;)

CHOOBER SNIPES
20-08-2008, 17:07
in addition to the previous ones mentioned (most of which i have thankfully not experienced) I have to add the third party 12 year old back seat gamer. I guess i am spoiled because at my store we had some great guys, and even the really young kids were respectful and honest. But one game i had, i was tempted to stop playing because of this kid that would comment on every move I made, and every roll i made. I roll horribly, and apparently he thought I didnt get this, so he repeatedly told me "You roll really bad, you know." He also tried to get in an argument with me (I swear to God the biggest idiot ever, or just for the sake of being annoying as hell) that I should have stood still and shot my pistols twice at some eldar guardians instead of charging them....with ******* khorne berzerkers. On top of that, he argued that if i fought the guardians, and then consolidated into the guy's dark reapers, that i would be in over my head with "just Khorne Berzerkers". I then told him to **** off and get some friends, to which he said that my opponent was his best friend and he had lots, and my opponent responded "uhhhh....no". he then wandered away not to be seen again that night.

And the other thing was this kid (albeit i dont think he knew it was really annoying and he is a pretty nice kid) that was explaining to myself and my opponent (very loudly) how awesome it would be if he could deep strike his 450 pt squad of Grey Knight Terminators into the middle of my army......my combat patrol army with half casualties in turn 5, and how the terminators could devastate my unit of CSM's. He then proceeded to tell us about how he could "TAKE THIS UNIT THAT CAN.......... OR THIS OTHER UNIT THAT CAN.......... ISNT THAT AWESOME!!??? wANNA HEAR MORE??" (the caps were for emphasis on loudly) anyway, my long long post is finally over

PondaNagura
20-08-2008, 18:48
we only ever had one stinky kid, but that was a legit gland problem..like he'd come in fine, but he'd get over excited during play, and sweat, and then it would get ripe.

also Side Generaling. that is people who chime in during the game when you try to make your own legit moves and they go "of you shouldn't have done that" or "tau don't move like that, why would you do that, when you can jump back in cover"
there's even little comicized posters on the walls to re-inforce that.

Eryx_UK
21-08-2008, 12:51
What irks me more than anything is players who argue, and usually because something is going against them. Just play the game and have fun with it!

Jagged
21-08-2008, 15:15

Awww. My son does that, I think its funny :)

Shortsonfire79
23-08-2008, 04:34

#2...I hate it when ANYONE does that to ANYTHING of mine...not just my models. It makes me so pissed.

#9. Dude...Seriously? That would make me mad...and I'd make a big stink about it at the tourney. A BIG stink.

#10. =-D I do that sometimes when me and my friend play our test games. I swear I think he gets pissed off, but doesn't say anything.

adreal
23-08-2008, 08:07
I'm not a fan of people quick rolling and not saying whats shooting, or at what, with what. There is a local player that does this, and now being in a tournie mindset, is just very hard to be around. He was a cheesy git before but now it's just a chore to play him. I think it's the only reason why he wins as much as he does, not saying what's shooting hleps if you have a bad shooing phase cause the unit can shoot several times a turn (also bad as he never messures range).

Sometimes I'll inadvertently pick up dice that weren't hits because I get confussed with some stuff, like in my first game of 5th, I had two units locked in combat with spine guants and hormiegaunts, when rolling to hit the hormie's I kept on thinking I hit on 3's with my noise marines, but no they are the WS 4 ones.....Still my opponenet was cool with it, he kept on checking my rolls for me and telling me if I picked up a 3 or not

Nostro
23-08-2008, 08:29
In my area you just pick up failed dice, put them aside, then pick and roll the remaining, it's way easier to see mistakes and solves a lot of hassles right from the start...

EmperorEternalXIX
23-08-2008, 09:45
I have seen some irritating things. Nothing majorly F'ed, but some things that are just wrong enough to push my buttons. I imagine we all see a lot more of these sorts of things then the major fist-fighting mayhem scenarioes...

I have a friend who plays infrequently and when he moves his models he does not measure very specifically from any point. He just puts the beginning of his tape over their base somewhere, and then moves them so the end of his tape is over the base somewhere. He never has a point of reference at all.

I get annoyed when people want to use proxies that do not have weapons modeled on when it comes to vehicles. A friend of mine used an ork vehicle that had 4 big shootas on it and we had no means of measuring range or LOS because it is just a toy tank with one big turret. Hate that.

I played against a kid who takes the game way too seriously, and he took every opportunity to fudge the game in his favor. I roasted several of his men on a tightly packed balcony where two squads were intertwined with one another. I used an inferno cannon and asked him to count up the hits -- I miraculously only hit three men even though 24 models were occupying a space of 6 inches by 3 inches or so.

My dislikes are not all about the unhappiness my opponents cause, though. One thing that annoys me more than anything is that I have a friend who has an impressive Imperial Guard army that is more than capable of facing off any threat and cutting it down in 5th Ed, but he routinely surrenders as he suffers losses, becoming supremely demoralized very quickly. For a while this went away but recently he played a game against a friend and he lost two of his three Leman Russes on the first turn...he instantly became morose and depressed and he stopped thinking straight at all, placing his men in stupid places and not bothering to fire weapons cause "I already lost." In this game a single squad of fire warriors was on one objective...at a point he had several multilaser sentinels who rolled a great outflank that could have gotten the job done along with his drop troops, but instead he just walked onto the edge miles away from the objective and fired at a singular crisis suit. This stuff annoys me more than anything...because it's when you are losing that you should play hardest. Also, as a space marine player...I get really annoyed when my friend's guard army cries wolf after losing a squad or two.

I really dislike it when players do not specify who is shooting at who, or what they need.

My biggest pet peeve of all, and I'm sure many out there will agree -- only having one color of dice and rolling them repeatedly for multiple different weapons or models with different BS/WS. I HATE HATE HATE this as it is just confusing as hell, if you happen to glance anywhere else but directly at those dice you will have no idea what is happening.

I notice a lot of people argue the cover save rule of 5+ a lot now. Is the vehicle obscured? We're both not sure? Then it's a 5+. It is obviously clear when things are partially obscured, just not always clear if it's the full half or not, but people still see it as black and white.

I hate when people are willing to bend the rules as long as it is beneficial to them (a tau player wanted to allow me to fire bolters up through a floor of ruins because he wanted to be able to then use the precedent to fire down through ruins across the rest of the table, for example).

More than people not knowing the rules, I really hate it when people have just filled in the blanks from the previous edition. So many times I hear "it's just like in 4th, except..." I dunno about everyone else but I love the game so much that when that new rulebook came out I read it cover to cover and know every word. I don't understand how there are people out there playing 5th without even having the book.

Muncher666
23-08-2008, 10:33

Honestly, everything else you've mentioned does genuinely annoy me - but this just seems like a pretty petty complaint. I like to use my own dice over store dice or the dice pool at my friend's house, and as long as I'm not holding up the game trying to do it I don't see the big deal.

You are aware they released 'critical roll' dice recently, right? :)

Allan.

Eldoriath
23-08-2008, 13:28
Luckily for me, #1 isn't much of a bother since i have a really bad sence of smell. Honestly, i can't smell some sences (sp?) which others claim "fill the whole room", even when smelling at the source. While other sences i smell perfectly. Luckily though, more often it's the bad sences i can't smell.
#3 I can live with actually
#6 would annoy me, but i would play him
#11 i would just endure

The rest i would wouldn't tolerate and say to him sharply to stop doing that.

ChaosBeast
23-08-2008, 17:58
1.) i'd be annoyed but wouldnt say anything

2.) i get really anoyed if people do this, i'd tell him to stop, if he didnt, i'd pack up.

3.) never had this happen so i dont know how i'd react. i probably wouldnt play them unless they had a full army list wich said what was proxied as what.

4.) this makes me anoyed, especially if my raptors fall over when they do it, i'd probably tell them not to, but wouldnt end a game over it.

5.) i'd ask them to use normal dice. and if they didnt id probly never play them again.

6.)unfortunately, most players at my store dont have lists written so you have to let it go if you want a game.

7.) i hate it! i hate it i tell ya!

8.) i ask them to move it back where it was, now it isnt falling over.

9.) i'd protest to the organiser, and try to get them disqualified. there is no excuse to cheat, especially in a tornament

10.) id walk away.

11.) cant be helped or proven. i ignore it.

Triggerdog
23-08-2008, 18:29
I've been in most of those situations and I an deal with most of them. There are a few that always **** me off though.

First among those is proxies.

Its just lazy. "Counts as" is one thing, thats okay as long as there's background to support it but Proxies are unexcusable especially with the range of bitz on the market now.

Shortsonfire79
23-08-2008, 18:31
There may be a humongous range of bitz on the market, but maybe not everyone is as fortunate as us to be able to buy ALL the bitz they want. They might not have enough $$$...ever think of that one?

Dragonreaver
23-08-2008, 18:49
The only thing an opponent has done in a game that annoyed me was in one of my first games of WHFB. My Dwarfs vs. his Tomb Kings. He guessed the range for his Screaming Skull Chariot on the first turn perfectly normally, hit, wounded and killed 2 Dwarfs. Then the second turn, instead of guessing the range, he proclaims "I won't bother guessing, since you moved straight forward so I can just take how far you moved off my guess and be right again".

This might seem perfectly fine in theory, except that not only could he not remember what his guess was last turn, but he also had no idea how far I'd moved because he wasn't paying attention to my movement phase at all. Despite these glaring holes in his plan, he still insisted he didn't need to guess, and rolled a hit on the scatter dice, killing another 5 Dwarfs.

Meriwether
23-08-2008, 19:19
As a group, every wargamer in our LGS visciously and mercilessly turns on anyone who touches someone elses models without asking. Anything that might cause damage to another person's miniatures results in hard-core shunning.

Cheaters learn quickly that they will not have fun, as we will watch them like hawks, scrutinize every detail of their army lists, challenge every dubious claim...

Overall, things are pretty friendly -- but the biggest no-no is the no-touchy rule.

Meri

P.S. If I guy knocked a squad of mine on the floor *and* crushed another with his army case lid, he'd be in the hospital and I'd be in jail. Civilized my rear-end, I'm from New York, and 'round here we don't stand for that kind of garbage.

Mkstein
23-08-2008, 19:21
I have to say, I hate it when someone with no sense of hygiene plays. Bloody stinks! And worse is when they are on your team. Today, I played an apocalypse game, which was really good fun. I held one flank, Person A the other and Person B an armoured company on the flanks against Bio Titans. Person Z a) makes up an army list out of old pieces of crap (It's apocalypse, lighten up), b) doesn't know how to use them (Uhhh, how many chapalains are in that unit?), c) doesn't know the effin rules and d) stinks of about three olympic athletes without deodrant who've just ran a marathon in world record time! Jeez...

And number 6) - Guard - right, no vespids etc...

Also, when they 'forget' a certain rule (Tau special issue wargear etc...).

I don't tell them I'm p***** off with them, but point out these blips (not the BO one though... I'm ginger, and insulting matches don't go my way). And rant on the interweb.

StarshipBOb
23-08-2008, 19:27
I can take funky smells, rude manners and loud mouthism. But there are only two things which I simply cannot stand:

1. Greasy fingers which grossifiy anything they touch;
2. No coaster for a drink on a/the table.

CasperTheGhost
23-08-2008, 19:45
not the BO one though... I'm ginger, and insulting matches don't go my way

I'm so glad I wasn't drinking while reading this or I think I might have ruined my comp :D. I have a sudden urge to sig that now....

For me the general gripe is people taking the game too seriously. I mean its a game and I just try and have fun. I'll let the other player off with some mistakes e.g - In a tournament I let my opposing player move a unit in the shooting pharse simply because he had forgot to do it just before. I did it because I didn't see the point in going "hahaha you lose now" so let him do it, but also because he was a fun guy. I did infact lose because of this but meh.

I mean its only a game. I can always stand my toy soliders up again. Unlike real war, so why people act like it means a lot is beyond me.

Proxy armies I don't mind if i'm playing versus a friend, espically if they are trying out something for a tournament.

Its mainly cheating, moaning, rules lawying, winny kids ect, but then i'm lucky enough to have a decent group of players.

Oh and GW Regional Managers but we won't go into that now will we ...... :angel:

Casper

trooper_alasdair
23-08-2008, 21:27
To be honest the thing that annoys me the most in the group I game in is people leaning on the tables, hard.
So far we've lost 8 pieces of terrain to freak table collapses (and by we I mean I because guess who builds and paints them all) and each time I get stuck with repair and repaint duty and each time no sod coughs up to help towards the cost.
What gets me however is that the last time this happened the offender did his nut when I complained to him.

stroller
23-08-2008, 21:42
Only cheating... supposed to be a game... fun, remember?

Fire Harte
23-08-2008, 21:46
Anyone who literally takes it seriously, as in most of what you guys have said.

pringles978
26-08-2008, 12:28
Its people like these that put me off going to gaming clubs, and the reason ive had a break of about a year from the hobby. People need to know that manners cost nothing, deoderant is cheap and if i catch you cheating, its going to be very expensive to get your teeth fixed.

I know a nid player famous for his "hopping" models, he measures from the front guy, puts the tape away and tries to move the models from the rear of the unit infront of the first guy. he also tells me that any poor dice rolls are down to my "beardy" army list and my stormtrooper army isnt painted properly due to the black colour scheme.

i wish i had space for a table at home...

nightgant98c
26-08-2008, 16:30
I haven't had too many troubles. Most of them are with a single guy. I'm not sure if he's a cheater or an idiot. He always acts completely amazed when I point out to him that he's done something wrong. He's either a terrible cheater, or he's never actually read the rules or his codex. I can't quite decide which.

shin'keiro
27-08-2008, 02:29
Would does it take to get you hot under the collar?

People who start sentences with "Would does".

jma037
27-08-2008, 02:50
That's why my gaming group insists on all members to be armed while playing in the club house. An armed community is a polite community.

Ruroni
27-08-2008, 03:11
Stretching distances, and getting mad and quitting the game if they don't think they're gonna win.

Plastic Rat
27-08-2008, 06:58
There may be a humongous range of bitz on the market, but maybe not everyone is as fortunate as us to be able to buy ALL the bitz they want. They might not have enough $$$...ever think of that one?

If they don't have the right bits why should they be allowed to field it? There are many times when I wished I had a specific weapon to use against somebody or a specific model, but I didn't. I learn to make do without it or find tactics or ways around it.

What do you do if you don't have money to buy a car? You bloody well walk or take a bus.

march10k
27-08-2008, 07:22

Tough tits. I can't afford a thunderhawk. So I don't field one. Simple as that.;)

TzeentchForPresident
27-08-2008, 07:24
"Shannon stood up and walked towards her, Erin took a step back nervously and then stood her ground as her roommate got closer and closer. She didn't look mad... so Erin had no idea what was going on. When Shannon was only a few inches away from Erin, her eyes were inspecting Erin's face all over, they stood there for a few moments. And then Shannon leaned forward. Erin's breath caught in her throat as Shannon's lips came down on hers, she didn't know what to do."

Stories like that. :p

As for hot as being annoyed when playing wh40k I would say 8, moving models when they think I am not looking.

GMillar
27-08-2008, 07:42
"Shannon stood up and walked towards her, Erin took a step back nervously and then stood her ground as her roommate got closer and closer. She didn't look mad... so Erin had no idea what was going on. When Shannon was only a few inches away from Erin, her eyes were inspecting Erin's face all over, they stood there for a few moments. And then Shannon leaned forward. Erin's breath caught in her throat as Shannon's lips came down on hers, she didn't know what to do."

Stories like that. :p

As for hot as being annoyed when playing wh40k I would say 8, moving models when they think I am not looking.

Wins the thread.

pringles978
28-08-2008, 15:06
Forgot this one, had a guy who insisted on using old black wooden dice. wouldnt have minded, but the numbers were almost faded off and he was quickrolling... told him with those rolls he should take a trip to vegas. That didnt bother me too much, i just got annoyed when he got uber defensive and started shouting and screaming.

Gideon
21-09-2008, 17:17
Yeah got to admit the things listed would bug me in game play too, however one thing closer to home are the comments some people make when answering a thread.

They seem to take pleasure in making a sarcastic comment or generally belittling someone!

Why?

wingedserpant
21-09-2008, 17:44
Just because you beat me does not give you any right to give me advice. Unfortunetly I look very young for my age. [I'm 18 but look about 14/15] This means that my opponent will act like I am the beginner. And I will discuss tactics with them when I know I didn't lose due to poor dice rolls. They seem oblivious to the fact I can learn from my mistakes on my own. And sometimes I point out that I have learned something.

That just opens the floodgate.

I have been playing both systems for almost six years. thats three editions.

So to sum it up. I hate being talked to like I'm a beginner when I am not.

max the dog
21-09-2008, 21:38
Here's a few more;
Quoting rules or unit stats from a previous edition as if they're still current.

Making up or misinterpreting special rules that have no basis in reality.

Not adding up unit costs correctly.

The Guy
21-09-2008, 22:21
Yeah got to admit the things listed would bug me in game play too, however one thing closer to home are the comments some people make when answering a thread.

They seem to take pleasure in making a sarcastic comment or generally belittling someone!

Why?

Yea, it's really pointless. Just spamming really [where are mods when you need them!]

Anyway, I hardly ever get a game but I think I'd get annoye quite easily at pretty much anything [I'm a very stressful guy] But there was this one time someone gave me a 'tutorial' because he beat me :wtf:

Apocalypse
22-09-2008, 02:20
I just don't play with people that I'm not friends with, and I'm not friends with people who are impolite, socially inept, etc...
Another thing- there is absolutely no reason for anyone to touch my models. I have no problem telling people what i think, and if someone touched anything of mine, they would get an earfull... I mean, why would I allow behaviour that I myself would never do?
I find it funny that everyone on these boards seem to be on the same page in regards to acceptable behaviour, yet at the store none of these people are to be found...

ReveredChaplainDrake
22-09-2008, 03:33
Fortunately, I am blessed with a perpetually stuffy nose. That combined with the fact that my entire house smells of wacky funk on account of my non-box-trained cats, I can endure some pretty odious stuff.

Adopt a kitten. You'll be surprised what kind of smells you'd be able to endure, if you put your mind to it.

Well, the local players tend to buy so many models and FW stuff that they rarely have money left for burgers, let alone any good ones.

Unless they're pulling some obviously bogus TLoS stunt, it probably doesn't matter. And it doesn't... until they win.

Don't we all?

It takes a lot more effort to load your dice than it does to just be lucky. This is often where you just give your opponent's dice the benefit of the doubt.

Unless they're playing Orks (in which case I'm going to lose anyway...), they'll have all their models out by the time I get out the last of my Gaunts. Then I hack out my Warriors, Carnifexes, and other critters that actually matter. Usually, all my opponent sees of my Tyranids is that I have a lot of Gaunts, and if they want to take Heavy Bolters to the max, then more fun for my Carnifexes and Tyrants.

I'm also notorious for taking and sticking with a very small scope of lists. If the opponent wants to try to tailor their list against mine, they'll have had all week to do so.

Moot. I don't cause that many wounds with my Tyranids anyway. They're Gaunts, for crying out loud. If my opponent claims to have passed a whole ton of saves, I'd believe them, knowing my luck.

I find this more of a problem when I'm getting shot, rather than charged. The only real way to catch the perpetrators is to pay attention and catch them in the act of "adjusting". If you catch them by the time they're shooting or charging, they'll think you're trying to pull a fast one.

Our tournaments don't work like that. Both players have player sheets, and if the tournament organizers notice any score discrepancies, they'll notify both players. Each player also submits their own player sheet personally. Not to mention you would have to be a pretty sour sport to tamper with a tournament score sheet.

This is where pre-game cover declarations come in handy. Decide what everything is and what will constitute cover first.

I play against opponents who many times have their own dices in little square cases. They also look distinctly different from my own GW dice that it's easy to tell them apart. Of course, it's even easier when one party forgets their dice and both players are just using the dice that belong to one person.

What really gets me frustrated is when the opponent beats me without even breaking a sweat. This usually happens because the opponent gets unnaturally lucky, I get terrible luck all game, or either their Codex (Orks, Daemons) or their list (Epidemius, 180 Boyz) is totally broken. I don't mind losing if it were some tactical fallacy of mine that caused my defeat. At least I could have been capable of winning, had I done something else. Or, if the problem is army composition, I now have a better scope of what units are inefficient. But when the only thing I take away from a game is "don't play so-and-so because such-and-such is a cheesed-off list" or "bless your dice with a heavy dose of Suck-B-Gone", the whole game was an utter waste of time.

The other thing is when players deliberately underestimate their own units.

Ork player: "Oh, don't worry, they may be Lootas, but they're just Orks, shooty-wise. They probably won't even hit..."
*6 dead Tyranid Warriors later...*
me: :wtf:
Ork player: "Hm. Well how about that."

olmsted
22-09-2008, 03:47
people who try to exploit their own forgetfulness.

at a tournament yesterday my opponent rolled 3 ones out of 6 rolls when rolling his armour save for termies. he then claimed he forgot to allocate wounds and promptly rerolled his armour saves. i was pissed because well he rolled 3 ones. that should have been the end of that meddlesome terminator unit however after he rerolled guess what they all saved.

i said that he stilled rolled those ones and that they should count. i even declared that he should just roll a dice to see where the wound went.

however his 3 termies and a librarian assaulted what was left of my grey slayers and killed most of my wolves with the librarian. the wulfen powerfist packleader was the last one to survive. he rolls and would have killed everyone including the damned librarian. but whats this! oh wait i have a veteran sgt with a power weapon instead of a powerfist. now because of his forgetfulness his terminator has now come back alive from the dead not once but twice.

even with a new system its still been almost a month since it came out. and most of us should be up to date on the rules.

im not really concerned about people touching a model as hey its just plastic and paint. i can fix most of it.

hey thats pretty good especially from an ork.

Eldartank
24-09-2008, 00:34
The "roll and snatch" thing is probably one of my biggest pet peeves. Fortunately, I rarely encounter such a thing. However, when an opponent does roll his dice and then quickly snatches them up before any of the rolls can be seen, I call him on it and insist that that for the rest of the game, he leaves any rolled dice on the table in clear view long enough for me to see what he rolled. If he does the "roll and snatch" thing a second time, I POSITIVELY INSIST that every one of those rolls was a failure. No argument. No discussion. No compromise. Period. Either that particular unit failed every armor save (or missed every shot or attack), or the game ends right then and there.

The ONLY successful dice rolls are the ones that were clearly seen by BOTH players.

cailus
24-09-2008, 00:47
Your opponent hasn't bathed in days (smells like weeks) and likes to keep close to you.

Ahhh the smelly nerd. Sometimes they also smell a little moldy. :wtf:

I just put up with this one.

I generally don't play these sorts. I'm an elitist prick like that.

I get them to re-roll it and then explain why they shouldn't do that.

We dice where LOS is ambigious. I also use third party observers.