PDA

View Full Version : 2,250 Daemons- first try

Lord of Nonsensical Crap
20-08-2008, 19:22
Recently, I've been toying with the idea of starting a Daemon army for both 40k and Fantasy (though this would be after I've completed my High Elves/updated my Dark Eldar and Space Marines). I've been tinkering with some fluff ideas for a host that is magically enslaved to a rogue Lord of Change, and I came up with this list.

Lord of Change- level 4, Dark Magister, Flames of Tzeentch- 580

I chose the Lord of Change because I like the model, and I always liked Tzeentch. Although this guy is expensive, he'll be great for flying around and unleashing zappy death and Terror on stuff (and joining in for combo-charges)

Herald of Khorne- BSB, Juggernaut, Firestorm Blade, Armour of Khorne- 215

I saw this combo being used a lot by Daemon players already, and decided to try it myself. It looks like a solid character to me, and I'll be putting him in with the Bloodletters or Flesh Hounds to give them Hatred.

Herald of Nurgle- Slime Trail, Pestilent Mucus- 135

This guy was taken solely so that I could have a regenerating Plaguebearer tarpit. The Slime Trail was pretty much obligatory, and the Mucus was taken as a fun choice-- there's nothing quite like causing splashback damage on anyone who wounds you.

16 Bloodletters- full command- 222
14 Plaguebearers- full command- 198
18 Daemonettes- full command- 248
10 Horrors- 120

I decided to be fluffy and take one of each of the infantry units per power. To keep things fluffy, I kept them at sacred numbers as well (with the exception of the Horrors)

5 Seekers- 120
5 Flesh Hounds- 174

I needed some fast units to go on the flanks of my force, and these two units seemed just right for the job.

6 Flamers- 210

They're Flamers- what more needs to be said? I am considering splitting them into two smaller units, though.

Total: 2,227

Thoughts: Tactics-wise, my Lord of Change will fly around and blast stuff while my infantry blocks advance or hold as necessary. The Flamers, Seekers and Flesh Hounds will take care of any peripheral units that the enemy has or act as flankers.

With the extra points I have, I'm considering bulking up some of my infantry blocks (particularly the Plaguebearers). Alternatively, I'll reduce the Daemonettes down to 12 and add the numbers somewhere else, or use the extra points to buy a Skull Totem for the Bloodletters and/or Icon of Eternal Virulence for the Plaguebearers.

Any thoughts?

ROCKY
21-08-2008, 00:01
Recently, I've been toying with the idea of starting a Daemon army for both 40k and Fantasy (though this would be after I've completed my High Elves/updated my Dark Eldar and Space Marines). I've been tinkering with some fluff ideas for a host that is magically enslaved to a rogue Lord of Change, and I came up with this list.

Lord of Change- level 4, Dark Magister, Flames of Tzeentch- 580

I chose the Lord of Change because I like the model, and I always liked Tzeentch. Although this guy is expensive, he'll be great for flying around and unleashing zappy death and Terror on stuff (and joining in for combo-charges)

Herald of Khorne- BSB, Juggernaut, Firestorm Blade, Armour of Khorne- 215

I saw this combo being used a lot by Daemon players already, and decided to try it myself. It looks like a solid character to me, and I'll be putting him in with the Bloodletters or Flesh Hounds to give them Hatred.

Herald of Nurgle- Slime Trail, Pestilent Mucus- 135

This guy was taken solely so that I could have a regenerating Plaguebearer tarpit. The Slime Trail was pretty much obligatory, and the Mucus was taken as a fun choice-- there's nothing quite like causing splashback damage on anyone who wounds you.

16 Bloodletters- full command- 222
14 Plaguebearers- full command- 198
18 Daemonettes- full command- 248
10 Horrors- 120

I decided to be fluffy and take one of each of the infantry units per power. To keep things fluffy, I kept them at sacred numbers as well (with the exception of the Horrors)

5 Seekers- 120
5 Flesh Hounds- 174

I needed some fast units to go on the flanks of my force, and these two units seemed just right for the job.

6 Flamers- 210

They're Flamers- what more needs to be said? I am considering splitting them into two smaller units, though.

Total: 2,227

Thoughts: Tactics-wise, my Lord of Change will fly around and blast stuff while my infantry blocks advance or hold as necessary. The Flamers, Seekers and Flesh Hounds will take care of any peripheral units that the enemy has or act as flankers.

With the extra points I have, I'm considering bulking up some of my infantry blocks (particularly the Plaguebearers). Alternatively, I'll reduce the Daemonettes down to 12 and add the numbers somewhere else, or use the extra points to buy a Skull Totem for the Bloodletters and/or Icon of Eternal Virulence for the Plaguebearers.

Any thoughts?

Well your army is nice and contains most of the ruinous 4 but in fantasy an army like this is only mediocre in magic. if this is meant to be a magic/combat army i would suggest taking khorne and tzeentch add a herald of tzeentch (instead of nurgle) and take one big unit of horrors, letters, and a small unit of horrors, then for elite units take flesh hounds as for elite units take 4-5 flamers and take if u can afford a couple of fiends or beasts of nurgle. you would have some fast hard hitting units and lots of magic power.

ChaosCajun
22-08-2008, 00:55
I found that flames of tzeentch does insignificant damage and prefer the twin heads/power vortex (or robes) as the +2 casting is extremely useful for the LoC. I use robes against armies with cannon.

Khorne Herald is great in unit of letters and makes them hard.

Nurgle I don't play, so can't comment, but the idea appears solid.

I would get a flying herald of tzeentch BSB with Despair Icon to assist in terror war. The -2 LD has never let me down and the 4+ ward save is nice. You can also give him master of sorcery for access to lore spells (like shadow or beast for moving your units in magic phase).

Fluffy numbers for line troopers is nice but I prefer multiples of 5.

I also find that horrors make great screens, so I put the unit in single line in front of my letters for the first turn or two. I reform them if necessary to make room as you only want to shoot magic with them and not get into combat. If they do get charged, well they may stay alive allowing the letters to charge in to help. If they soak up alot of shooting, then the letters can blow past them. You can even start the BSB there to give them a 4+ ward save on first turn or two.

Fleshhounds are great, as are flamers. I usually field 2 units of each at least. Flamers are so good, I've won games with a good round or two of shooting from 12 of them (meaning they turned the tide irrevocably my way). Seekers I've yet to try as I have none.

ser_hag
22-08-2008, 09:39
some thoughts:

i think kairos is a better buy than a generic LOC. better ward, much scarier caster, can still break ranks and cause terror.

having the nurgle herald as the BSB makes your BS a lot more survivable, the letter herald will attract a lot of attention if hes carrying the banner.

IMO, the seekers really need to have the 'only stand and take it' banner to make it worth taking them. unfortunately once you kit them out, its better to just take another unit of fleshhounds. speaking of which, i wish i had more thumbs to give them more thumbs up. i like units of 6.

im down with trying to use a unit of each of the lesser demons, but your unit sizes are all outta whack. the demonettes need to be smaller (12 since youre keeping with numbers) and the letters need to be bigger. t3 isnt doing them any favors and a 2 turns of modest shooting will bring their combat effectiveness way down (only have to lose 3 to be down to 1 rank bonus). my fave for plaguebearers is 21, the herald on the palanquin fills the unit out to be 5x5.