PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elves: Getting back into, small questions too

FunkyRatDemon
20-08-2008, 18:35
Hello everyone,
I played a Cult of Slaanesh list in the the so-called Lustria campaign years ago, but sold my entire army (got into Chaos).
Now that the new armybook has come out, I'm looking to invest in a Dark Elf army once more, particularly in a few Bolt Throwers again, but am unsure about the appropriate amount to field.

This will be for a 2000pts list. I will be able to buy this army instantly, so the idea that 'small increments' is of no-issue to me.

I know that I want to use at least 2 Bolt Throwers in the army, but maxing out at 4 seems rather awesome.
This is my 'Meta':
3 Empire (shooty), 2 Dwarf (shooty), 3 Skaven (1 shooty), 1 wood elf, 1 high elf, 2 ogres, 1 Bretonian, 2 Chaos, 1 Tomb Kings, 1 Vampire Counts, 1 Beastman, 0 Lizardman, 0 Deamons, 1 Orcs and Goblins

The way I run the 2000pts list I have, I run 4, but If I drop to 2 then I can sneak in a Banner Bearer (+1A banner) on a Cold One w/ full armour+shield+cloak, and 5 Harpies. Or lose 1 and give a full command to my Dark Riders (basic stats, +Champion) and toss in some Harpies.

I'll post the list ASAP, armybook isn't here unfortunatly. (so names missing/replaced w/ effect). Its 2000pts exactly!

Here is the list:
Level 2 Sorceress w/ Dispell Scroll, Sacrificial Dagger (in Repeater Crossbowman unit)
Level 2 Sorceress w/ Dispell Scroll
20 Corsairs, Full Command, 2hand weapon, Banner that gives Frenzy
20 Corsairs, Full Command, 2hand weapon
20 Spearman, Full Command, Shields
Assassin w/ additional Hand weapon, Killing Blow, +D3 attacks (in basic Corsair unit)
12 Repeater Crossbowman, Full Command
5 Dark Riders, Champion
5 Cold Ones, Full Command, Banner that gives them ASF, Champion has Lance w/ Killing Blow
2 Bolt Throwers
2 Bolt Throwers

So WarSeer, How is the list and is 4 the right # of Bolt Throwers?

FunkyRatDemon
25-08-2008, 04:37
:bump:
Any help?
Or is 2RBT and a Hydra the best idea?

EndlessBug
25-08-2008, 06:20
[quote]
Here is the list:
Level 2 Sorceress w/ Dispell Scroll, Sacrificial Dagger (in Repeater Crossbowman unit)
Level 2 Sorceress w/ Dispell Scroll
20 Corsairs, Full Command, 2hand weapon, Banner that gives Frenzy
20 Corsairs, Full Command, 2hand weapon
20 Spearman, Full Command, Shields
Assassin w/ additional Hand weapon, Killing Blow, +D3 attacks (in basic Corsair unit)
12 Repeater Crossbowman, Full Command
5 Dark Riders, Champion
5 Cold Ones, Full Command, Banner that gives them ASF, Champion has Lance w/ Killing Blow
2 Bolt Throwers
2 Bolt Throwers
[\quote]

Ok, personally I`d drop
2 bolt throwers and
a unit of 20 corsairs (none frenzy)
command on the crossbows and 2 crossbowmen
swap the champion on the dark riders for a musician as the +1 to rally is much better (allows for flee reactions more reliably)
ASF on cold one riders is pointless as they should be charging and therefore string first anyway.
(=590 opints roughly)

Instead take:
17 Black Guard with full command and ASF std (317 points)
armour piering banner on the warrior unit
Master with great weapon and armour of darkness (109) goes with black guard
1 War Hydra
+2 warriors in the unit and bung sacrificial fagger in here.

That is of course my opinion but most of the adjustments I made were IMO ways to create more efficiency im cost for units and their jobs.

Half-breed
25-08-2008, 08:35
EndlessBug has good points and his changes would really strenghten the list. Anyway heres my take.
If you have the dagger on list then have a big cheap unit for your sorceress to kill. Crossbows are not good for this as you want them to fire, not to become PD. Corsairs Frenzybanner isn't that good as you have very few units and one of them acting irrationally time to time will make choerentive battleplan more difficult to achieve. Also Warriors are more cost effective than Corsairs. ASF-banner on CoK is pointless as if you wont get the charge you are going to lose regardles of the few attacks.

Conotor
25-08-2008, 11:37
:bump:
Any help?
Or is 2RBT and a Hydra the best idea?

I h8 bolt throwers. 4 will always do very well. You will be able to
kill 2 cavalry units before they reach your army.

FunkyRatDemon
25-08-2008, 21:09
Well, thanks for all the advice
I proxied out the original list, and after looking over the advice have come to these comclusions:

I think I'll lose the Frenzied Unit of Corsairs, so thats 250pts, I'll also lose the ASF Banner on the Cold Ones, 4 Bolt Throwers was to many, 2 Should be fine (I played 3 games, and in each they got angry). I'll swap out the Champion for a Muscian in my Dark Riders. The Full Command never did much in my RxB unit, but they did awesome. I need a better General in this army

What I'll likely add is either a Dreadlord or a lesser varient on a Cold One with the Ring of Hotek and the Whip of Agony (in Heavy Armour+shield+sea Dragon Cloak). Throw in a Hydra as everyone loves them/fears them, add in 12 more RxB's since i'm now losing a little shooting and want to make up for that. That gives me about 100pts left...

Now, I don't have as many combat effective units as I did before (and I play 40k mainly, so am used to 'gun lines' but don't want to do that in fantasy. Should I throw in 1 more Assassin w/ Cloak and Manbane, add in 5 more Dark Riders w/ Musician or get 15 more Spearmen w/ Full Command?

This will really help me out, as I'm buying most of this this weekend

EndlessBug
26-08-2008, 01:05
Of your options I`d personally take the dark riders, the warrior unit will be too small to do anything and well I`m a HUGE fan of fast cav, I usually field 2 to 4 units of dark riders in my dark elf army.