PDA

View Full Version : Shades and Warriors

The Song of Spears
20-08-2008, 21:32
Would it be best to fill my core ranks with warriors with spears and use the shades as my Rxb users and leave out warriors with Rxb altogether?

minionboy
20-08-2008, 22:02
Would it be best to fill my core ranks with warriors with spears and use the shades as my Rxb users and leave out warriors with Rxb altogether?

I'd be more likely to drop my spear warriors altogether for more Rxb warriors. I never leave home without at least 2 units of 10 Rxb, a unit of shades and a unit of dark riders with rxb.

Freak Ona Leash
20-08-2008, 22:03
Nah. If you want a good firebase of Rxbs, Go with the core ones. Save your special choices for fun stuff like Black Guard and...erm...more Black Guard. Or maybe Shades with great weapons and an assassin.

The Song of Spears
20-08-2008, 22:16
Really? The higher BS and skirmisher rule doenst make the shades a better choice for Rxb??

sulla
20-08-2008, 22:48
Really? The higher BS and skirmisher rule doenst make the shades a better choice for Rxb??

Much better shooters, but they cost a lot of points, don't fill up your compulsory core slots and at the same time use up special slots (sort of a double hit there).

Besides, if you really want a couple of units of shades for shooting, there's really no great reason not to suppport them with at least a couple of core units of crossbowmen from your core anyway. DE shooting is not all that powerful. Minimum sized units of core crossbows are some of the cheapest units you can get so doing that allows more points for things that can actually hurt the enemy in combat (which your spearmen will struggle to do).

The Song of Spears
20-08-2008, 22:52
What then actually gets to and hurts the enemy in the core list of units for the DEs?

Freak Ona Leash
21-08-2008, 00:42
Well...Corsairs? Maybe. Witch Elves if you take Hellebron and dont mind being shot at lots and lots.

Tadite
21-08-2008, 04:50
you could take a big huge 20 man block of RxB with an assassin. Its not a huge amount more then a spear block with Assassin.

Just make sure to reform before you get hit.

ser_hag
22-08-2008, 09:12
2 units of 10 rxb with shields is super flexible and hyperefficient. things they do better than shades:

cost considerably less
have an armor save (even almost respectable in cc)
dont compete with juicy special choices
take away ranks

dont leave home without them! (and the obligatory 3 units of dark riders :))

BattleofLund
22-08-2008, 10:43
Don't forget: can have a harmonica-player to help with rallying.

The Song of Spears
22-08-2008, 16:37
Well my thoughts were that Shades, if i say take 10 or 15, i dont have to have them in such a huge line, they can be more spread out in some terrain, getting essentially the same armour save, plus the skirmishers rule against shooting.

This is better IMO because the whole unit can shoot, not just a front rank. They get set up last so the enemy has no idea where my shooting will come from. They assault better with better WS and possibly 1 extra attack.

I am thinking that a couple decent sized unit of flanking shades and tons of spearmen as core. I use the core to press the enemy and the shades to threaten then flank charge, or prevent flank charges. I can even give the spearmen a banner to keep them from going anywhere easy (though its a 70 point banner) and make sure my center holds almost no matter what.

I am just trying to decide how much i need to invest in a Lord and Heros at 2k pts. I feel that 1000 points is far too much, by much less and they seem to be almost worthless.

Ideas?

Count Zero
22-08-2008, 17:00
shades are very good, BS5 means that even with multishot they have a good chance of hitting. the bloodshade rocks too. but they are quite priecy, immeadite target for a magic missle etc a they will die very easy to even low str attacks.

i wonder if with an assassin, they could turn into a decent combat unit?

Caligo carmen
22-08-2008, 23:43
I personally gave up the "inferior" infranty choices after my first encounter of an Emperial gun line. I never found it compelling to be charged by my Flying/calvary opponents especially with T3 elves. Also the Rxb armed Dark Riders were always more useful, than my rxb troops which never got into range or when they did were attacked by 1+ knights, Ethreal Wraiths, Uber-overpowered-pegasus-hero or were out ranged. When on the other hand my dark riders were hardly ever charged at due to their fast calvary benefits. If He wuold have had chased them he would have had to face Fear causing 6S CoKs in charge range. Usually this fear of calvary made a sort of a stale mate, buying me time to shoot my RBTs into his Stank. But in the end it depends what kind of a opponent you have. Mine are too bright not to bring infranty when they know that i would encounter it with a RxB army.

sulla
23-08-2008, 01:55
What then actually gets to and hurts the enemy in the core list of units for the DEs?

Nothing in the core list of de units hurts the enemy (DR with shields would come closest). Luckily it is all dirt cheap so it's not too big a loss.

Your punch comes from characters and special/rare choices. In the DE list, the support troops are the core troops... strange, I know, but that's just the way it works for them.

The Song of Spears
23-08-2008, 05:07
Well then I am torn. I wanted to use a buff Lord (Malekith on a dragon) and several sorceresess, but old mal is like 1k points and 3 good sorceresses are like 500 points, that leaves me with onyl 500 points for core! And I want to fit a hydra in there someplace too, hmm what to choose....

ideas?

TheWarSmith
23-08-2008, 05:22
Well, you could only have 2 sorceresses anyway if you took Malekith on dragon, as he takes up an additional hero(odd as none of the other 7th ed dragons do!!)

Trying to squeeze the "named lord on dragon" in 2k is typically a poor choice.

apbevan
25-08-2008, 19:26
Well, you could only have 2 sorceresses anyway if you took Malekith on dragon, as he takes up an additional hero(odd as none of the other 7th ed dragons do!!)

Trying to squeeze the "named lord on dragon" in 2k is typically a poor choice.Im assuming you have not actually looked at any of the other 7th edition books as HE(including Dragon Mage), VC and DE Dragons all take an extra hero slot.

TheWarSmith
26-08-2008, 04:38
Im assuming you have not actually looked at any of the other 7th edition books as HE(including Dragon Mage), VC and DE Dragons all take an extra hero slot.

Oops. But I don't think Empire does, and I'm not sure about orcs.

Lord Khabal
26-08-2008, 10:24
Orcs don't have a dragon! not sure about the wyvern though but I don't think it uses an additional slot. The empire dragon is the exception here and not the rule.
And I agree. 1k character on 2k games is a poor choice...