PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Guard Doctrines

Helsing
20-08-2008, 21:26
The Imperial Guard Codex contains doctrines lists for nearly every published Guard force, Cadian, Tallarn, Krieg, etc. Finding this information lacking, I have asked on several online sites for gamers to list their own Guard regiments and the history of these regiments. This would include doctrines selections and compiled information.

Helsing.

Helsing
21-08-2008, 02:19
Nemesis 6th Airborne - Eagle's Talon

Drop Troops
Hardened Fighters
Light Infantry
Special Weapons Squads
Storm Trooper Squads

Nemesis is a sentinel world at the edge of the Segmentum Obscurus, and fell in the sixth Black Crusade to the forces of the Black Legion. Elements of the Dark Angels, Ravenguard and Angels Requiem fought for its survival, and in the rage of war the Nemesis Airborne Corps were born. They came from the criminal underworld and law enforcement, they were fathers, brothers and sons, men who fought for the idea of an Imperium of Man. In the end, Nemesis fell, but not before the Nemesis Airborne had died to the man in the name of freedom.

Helsing.

Malevon
21-08-2008, 03:46
Adeptus Mechanicus Explorator Force:

Carapace Armour
Cyber-Enhancement
Techpriest Enginseers
Sharpshooters

Skitarii are the warriors of the Adeptus Mechanicus. The usually have more advanced technology than their Imperial Guard equivalents, due to the technical expertise of their masters and direct links to their Forge Worlds.

This particular force accompanies a Magos (represented in the army list by an allied Inquisitor) and his band on their Quest for Knowledge, and their search for ancient and lost technology.

The Skitarii have different names for their warriors than the Imperial Guard. The basic "tech-guard," as they are known to outsiders, are called Hypatists. Heavy weapons operatives are Sagitarii. Artillery is Ballisteria. Armoured vehicles are known as Cataphractii. Officers under the Magos are called Tribunes. Tech-priests and Servitors are prevalent, although they are not held in high regards by their superiors, as they do little to further the Quest for Knowledge.

Electro-priests, fanatic warriors of the Cult Mechanicus, support their brethren in battle. Their bodies are wired with electrical circuits, which they activate at the opportune moment to become a frenzy of electrical destruction. I find they are represented well by allied Arco-flagellants.

From a fluff standpoint, I should use all the doctrines I have listed above, but I find that Cyber-enhancement and Sharpshooters often aren't worth the points they cost, so in competitive games I usually only take Carapace Armour and Tech-priests. The same goes for Bionics on characters with access to the armoury.

Some pictures:
Hypatists (http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a38/lrmalevon/hypatists.png?t=1219290545)
Magos and retinue (http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a38/lrmalevon/magos3.png?t=1219290568)
Electro-priests (http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a38/lrmalevon/electropriests-1.png?t=1219290592)
1250 point force (http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a38/lrmalevon/smalladmech-1-1.png?t=1219290616)

Helsing
21-08-2008, 07:57
Thank you, Magos Malevon.
In the interim I have founded a new regiment, the Corvana Sentinel Corps.

Light Infantry
Hardened Fighters
Veterans
Sharpshooters
Special Weapons Squads

The Corvana Sentinel Corps hail from the Ithia Corvana Warzones in the Segmentum Tempestus. For sixty nine years the Corvana regiments have fought against the Chaos movement known as the Fall, and in the fires of battle and the anvil of war a unit of veteran Guardsman was born. Years of war have made them both accurate at range and fatal in close combat, and a lifetime spent in the Hell that is the cities of the Ithia Corvana have formed a LID force.

Helsing.

Wolflord Havoc
21-08-2008, 12:50
Totenberg Guard Inf. Rgt (See 16th Guard Infantry Regiment/XX Army Group/Totenberg Imperial Guard)

Doctrines:
Veterans
Grenadiers
Iron Discipline
Heavy Weapon Platoons
Priests

Totenburg

An Advanced and well run ‘industrial’ world and Principle system of the Totenberg Sector as well as main Sector Anchorage, Totenberg was ‘rediscovered’ by Primarch Robuotte Gulliman in the early part of the Great Crusade when the armies and war fleet of this system came to his aid in purging the neighboring sector of the Ork. The World much, much larger than Earth was made up of 32 city states and at the point of its rediscovery was on the verge of social collapse and civil war. Guilliman having suffered severe wounds during the boarding of an Ork Flagship – retired to the Island of Heira to recuperate and during his 3 week convalescence he wrote the ‘Book of Heira’ which outlined a social structure and ordinances by which the peoples of Totenberg should manage their lives and world. It is a work of great majesty and foresight and Totenberg by treating the book as a work of religious significance ever since has not only endured but flourished. Despite its massive population – its 32 Hive cities are well ordered and run and its society is based around military service and all men are expected to serve in the PDF in some capacity. The best of these men are allowed to enter each years draft to the Imperial Guard (something that is considered to be a great honor to the family concerned).

Its armies are massive and are currently involved in 3 long term Campaigns relatively locally to their home world. Because of this and the worlds huge merchant fleet Each City State sends out regular drafts of Guardsmen and equipment to reinforce the thousands of regiments in the field. This allows the large Rgts to maintain both a core of veterans while maintaining a relatively complete TOE despite heavy fighting.

The Highborn Family clans of each city send their boys @ age 12 to the Schola Progrima run schools by dividing each years ‘batch’ into 31 groups and sending them to other Cities Schola. This creates a tightly knit upper class which initially form the 1st Highborne Rgts of each city state (these are effectively Storm troopers) and these troops would be used to reinforce the line Rgts as well as providing a well trained ‘pool’ from which the next generation of officers are drawn. These ‘Highborn’ officers are well regarded and trusted by the regular troopers. – This gives the Inf. Regiments ‘Iron Discipline’ and ‘Grenadiers’ doctrines.

The standard fighting ‘doctrine’ of the Totenberg infantry Rgts is to take ground using armor, heavy artillery and well trained infantry assaults and then holding it with heavy weapon teams while the Rgt units locally regroups for the next offensive. Therefore the Regiments make great use of heavy weapon platoons down at company organization.

Lastly the most decorated of the old veterans may be granted a place at the Temple complex of Heira Island as a Guardian priest and many of these ‘great heroes’ after some years of contemplation and learning the scriptures – learning about the life of ‘Saint Guilliman’ and often having received rejuvenate and Bionic replacement for injuries received during their careers, will be allowed to return to field Regiments where they act as an example to reinforce the religious fervor of the men. This allows Priests to be taken. (Note: I always grant the priest the Honorific Imperialis to reflect how hard they are).

http://www.thedragonstears.com/gallery.aspx?member=jon&system=40k&army=imperial%20guard

Lord Cook
21-08-2008, 12:58
Ferrosian 9th Life Company

Iron Discipline
Cameleoline
Close Order Drill
Conscript Platoons
Grenadiers
Rough Riders

[There are more 5 because it varies depending on army]

Ferros was once covered by huge tracts of verdant swampland and rainforest, however successive expansion and colonisation has gradually turned the planet's surface into an industrialised wasteland, home to sprawling hive cities, manufactories and heavy industry. Ferros now boasts a population in the tens of billions, ruled over by a highly authoritarian aristocracy and a largely draconian class system. Genealogy counts for far more than actual merit. Ferros maintains close ties with the Adeptus Mechanicus, partly because of it's considerable manufacturing capacity, but also because it's tolerant attitude towards the use of abhumans and xenos breeds is deeply frowned upon by the Ecclesiarchy.

Nevertheless, Ferros is a proud world with a strong martial tradition. Guard regiments tithed from here are skilled urban combatents, utilizing camouflage and with a combat doctrine placing high value on mobility. The vast manufacturing power of Ferros itself is also a major asset, granting it's regiments large quantities of armoured vehicles and heavy equipment. Officers raised from birth to command are (mostly) trusted by their men to get the job done, thanks to their natural leadership skills. The swamps still remain, hidden in low valleys, and under the hives themselves, a dank, damp underworld below the bustle and industry above. Here life still flourishes, and numerous predators still stalk among the foundations. These lizards are renowned for their endurance and ferocity, and when bred in captivity make excellent riding mounts and shock troops for the Ferrosian Guard.

Firaxin
22-08-2008, 03:49
The 7th Kibbian

Warrior Weapons
Light Infantry
Hardened Fighters
Cameleoline
Priests
Close Order Drill

(more than 5 'cause it varies depending on my opponent)

Preferred Special Weapon: Flamer
Preferred Heavy Weapon: None. Well... Demo Bomb? :p

(yes, I'm crazy. :angel: But it's fun, and you wouldn't believe how upset people get when they lose to it, which makes it all worthwile IMHO...)

Kibbia is a feral world on the fringes of Imperial Space. The tribes people living there have taken to worshiping the massive, wild felines that stalk their world as the avatars of the Emperor. Or so they tell Imperial authorities. Consequently, over the centuries they have molded their battle tactics to resemble that of the wild felines. They stalk stealthily towards their opponent until they are close enough to lunge forwards and rip out their enemy's throats.

Don't worry, this isn't the army I normally use. That would be mechanized. I have no fluff for them though, cause I'm lazy.

Alehkine
22-08-2008, 04:59
212th Steel Legion Mechanized

Doctrines:
Mechanized
Storm Troopers
Ratlings
Conscripts
Psykers
Hardened Fighters
Independent Commissars

(Doctrines depend on opponent to a certain extent)

The 212th Steel Legions are a tithed regiment from Armageddon that saw action throughout the galaxy untill they were recently recalled to Armageddon to fight in the 3rd war. They have remained there ever since, as the war still rages. In addition to the Steel Legion doctrines this regiment has Ratlings and Psykers, representing the various units incorporated into their ranks in their numerous glorious campaigns. On the other hand, they aren't quite as adept as normal Steel Legions at fighting orks (so no Xeno Fighters doctrine) as they only recently joined the 3rd war but their expertise should grow quickly.

The nobility who form the officer corps of this regiment have both monetary resources and the luxury of a small amount of free time. They spend this time and money engaged in Martial Arts/Fencing/Swordplay for leisure as well as expertise, making them more capable melee fighters than the standard men of the regiment (sometimes I take Hardened Fighters and apply them to my HQ squads with HSO's and Commissar's to form capable counter-assault units.)

As with most regiments on Armageddon, a great deal of the conscripts are rounded up from the lethal hive gangs. Where possible conscript units recruited from gangs are made up of men from the same gang to avoid infighting. Of this is impossible a Commissar (independent commissar doctrine) is assigned to the unit to deal out harsh discipline. I use mostly van saar gangers to represent these conscripts, but of course the actual name of their gang is something completely different, I'll have to invent something sinister :)

Grimbad
22-08-2008, 05:03
Draugar 3rd Infantry Regiment
Sanctioned Psykers
Close Order Drill
Die Hards
Sharpshooters
Iron Discipline

Preferred Special Weapon: Flamer
Preferred Heavy Weapon: Heavy Bolter

Uniform: Mordian style uniform, red with green trim and gold buttons and epaulets. Officers often wear black gloves.

The Draugar 3rd Infantry regiment is the only surviving regiment from Draugar II. Draugar II was destroyed by exterminatus after five years of infestation by zombie plague. Trapped alongside terrified civilians were the Draguar 7th infantry. When the 3rd was informed of the fate of their homeworld, they adopted the colors of the 7th. The entire regiment has been inducted into the Ordo Sepulturum, which supplies them with fresh recruits in exchange for their military service. The 3rd is happy to oblige, seeking vengeance for their lost homeworld.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t21/grimbadgrotkikka/P8184582.jpg
ATM I only have an infantry squad and a command squad, but the plan is to add to the army whenever I tire of orks.

Marshal Argos
22-08-2008, 06:49
Fantoma 313th Drop Troop Regiment

Doctrines:
Drop Troops
Iron Discipline
Sharpshooters
Independent Commissars
Storm Trooper Squads*
Light Infantry*

All troopers assigned to the 313th have served at least 5 years in the Fantoma PDF prior to becoming regular Guard, they must be in the top 10% to be given this honor. Officers are chosen from the ranks, serving at least 2 years in the Guard to even be considered. Because of this they are above average leaders having served on the line they know how to lead, and have already earned the trust of the common drop trooper.

* Mission and opponent dependent.