PDA

View Full Version : Vampire lord or vlad?

Mullitron
21-08-2008, 10:17
Looking into making a 2k vamp list and would like a strong leader was thinking of this lord or vlad, which would u recommend?

Vamp lord
+1 magic level
Dark acolyte
master of the black arts
lord of the dead

Blood drinker
the flayed hauberk
the book of arkhan 450

Malorian
21-08-2008, 13:49
The lord for sure. Vlad just isn't anything special other than he's extremely hard to kill (and stay killed), and even if that's what you wanted I'd rather take manfred and his bucketfull of wounds.

Nice looking lord : ) But just becareful as that 2+ save isn't as protective as you might think if enemy characters start coming after you.

snyggejygge
21-08-2008, 13:51
Iīd take the lord, since specialcharacters are boring, besides Vlad isnīt all that good for his pointsvalue, I would however change the Blood Drinker for a cheap Biting Blade or Sword of Might, keeps your general a little cheaper, but makes him better in combat (besides spamming invos isnīt hard to raise new skellies or regain wounds).

Mullitron
21-08-2008, 14:26
K thanks for the tips, will take the lord drop the sword get a more aggressive one. Thinking of putting in unit with bsb with regen banner anyway so i guess hes not going 2 die 2 easy: P

Lord Malorne
21-08-2008, 14:39
The best thing for a vamp lord as in the army general is to NEVER get in combat so i find it odd that people spend so many points on the model and give him a half decent save (as in no ward) and a semi useful combat weapon...its the general! all you should give him combat wise is the helm of commandment and possibly the nightshroud.

General dies=REALLY bad for you.

EvC
21-08-2008, 14:45
Yeah but who wants to have a pathetic craven Vampire leading their army from behind the lines, avoiding combat at all costs*? Although I have the kind of luck that means that my fully kitted out Vampire Lord unable to kill more 2 Daemonettes across several rounds of combat, I'd much rather play aggressively than hide her like a coward.

*NB the answer is "most Vampire Counts player, actually". Sadly.

Lord Malorne
21-08-2008, 14:48
Yeah but who wants to have a pathetic craven Vampire leading their army from behind the lines, avoiding combat at all costs*? Although I have the kind of luck that means that my fully kitted out Vampire Lord unable to kill more 2 Daemonettes across several rounds of combat, I'd much rather play aggressively than hide her like a coward.

*NB the answer is "most Vampire Counts player, actually". Sadly.

Its not sadly, it is in fact the POINT of the general and the point of general's in all battles that does not translate to fantasy (with the exception of skaven ;)).

Fannsi
21-08-2008, 14:48
The best thing for a vamp lord as in the army general is to NEVER get in combat

I disagree on this. Vampire Lord with good bloodpowers and weapons and maybe armor and ward is almost only kill able by a hero killer.

I was massacred (every single model was killed) once by chaos warriors and the last model to die was the lord. And he was all the time in the middle ground in constant battle. And he was killed because of combat resolution in 6th turn.

Lord Malorne
21-08-2008, 14:52
Was this 2,000pts and he the general? that is a huge risk and a massive points sink, don't get me wrong I have come up with a killy vamp lord myself but he would not be my general, remeber the general is a spell caster and usually the best in the army, spellcasters are not expendible in my opinion if they are the general in a general dependant army.

EvC
21-08-2008, 15:11
Its not sadly, it is in fact the POINT of the general and the point of general's in all battles that does not translate to fantasy (with the exception of skaven ;)).

Well yes in real life the general would be behind the lines, but in real life the general does not have superhuman strength ;)

In a similar vein to Fannsi, my fighting Vampire Lady recently killed 4 charging Chosen Knights of Khorne. The same caster Lord spent the game running away behind the lines trying to keep the battle together, before getting stomped. Fight, damn you ;)

semersonp
21-08-2008, 15:15
lord...

with a properly outfitted vamp lord you will have a lvl4 wizard in the body of a melee general... too good to pass up...

vamp lord
bloody hauberk
book of arkhan
ta: dark acolyte
tm: avatar of death
tb: infinite hatred
tc: walking death

for <440 points you get:
4/5 save
S7
lvl 4 necromancy
re-rollable misses wounding on 2+
+1 combat resolution
etc

throw your lord into a unit of skellies with the drakenhof banner / undead legion and you're done... send that missile into the heart of the enemy and watch them scatter...

plus your vampire lord is your own... write a backstory for him... also if he falls in combat there's another story to write for the new leader of your forces... if vlad dies... yeahhh, he's totally ok... he was faking his final death! :)

Lord Malorne
22-08-2008, 12:48
So T5 2+ save and 3 wounds with a 4+regen....that is a damn sight easier to kill than you think and at that many pts not worth the risk.

As I said I have a combat vamp lord, but he is not and will never be the general, and EvC I would like to know how the vamp managed that.

Kalec
22-08-2008, 14:58
Vlad isn't a very good lord. He isn't the greatest fighter, isn't the greatest mage, and is too expensive to afford to do either of these tasks at anything less then amazingly.

Mannfred, on the other hand, is amazing, if only because he can carry the skull staff and another arcane item.

EvC
22-08-2008, 15:07
EvC I would like to know how the vamp managed that.

Gladly :D Vampire Lord is near Corpse Cart. Vampire Lord has infinite hatred, red fury and sword of might. Corpse Cart's Miasma goes off (This doesn't really matter, it just means I attacked first). Knights charge in: 4 attacks hitting on 3+ with re-rolls: 4 hits. Wounding on 2+: 4 wounds. Saves of 4+: all failed. A bit lucky, but the average is 2-3 anyway, and the result would have been the same ;)

Xirathnix
23-08-2008, 16:08
There is an entire thread on who plays combat vs caster lords. In the end I believe quite a few play combat lords very effectively. Regardless of that you should always heavily protect your lord, Lord Malorne as most armies I tend to fight can kill him out of combat very easily. EvC is right a heavy combat lord is near impossible to take down.

Autobot HQ
23-08-2008, 19:41
I find that the Lance that equates to auto hit on charge, along withy the red fury, will devestate most units. 5 S7 hits, wounds most things on 2+, which will give you another 5 S7 hits. Can't see much in the game unit-wise that can take that kind of punishment.

Roxx
23-08-2008, 23:29
Yah the lord is a good choise.