PDA

View Full Version : tank deployment

ChaosBeast
21-08-2008, 13:51
marines do lightning fast raids, which is there speciality. their favourite method of deploying fast and relatively safely is the drop pod. but how in a drop pod assault near or behind enemy lines deploy vehicles. thunderhawks would likely be shot down, and if your trying to destroy that stompa mob before it gets finished, how do you get your landraiders down safely?

Sojourner
21-08-2008, 13:55
Thunderhawks can carry Land Raiders, or they can be ferried down by Landing Craft - which look a bit like a bigger Thunderhawk, or something called a Rapid Conveyance Vessel if memory serves which I think was mentioned in Chapter Approved. Basically, they're landed by spaceship one way or another. If there's no 'safe' method of getting them there, you don't.

imperial_scholar
21-08-2008, 14:03
For space marines,
Tanks are for the 'long war' (space marine long war not IG). I think since they release the thunderhawk transporter (attached) the 'Landing Craft' isn't needed anymore.

Master Stark
21-08-2008, 14:25
Marine armour pretty much stinks. I can't think of a reason, except in absolutely worst case scenarios, where I would deploy armour alongside my infantry.

It isn't as durable, replaceable, or as deadly as IG armour, so IG armour is always preferrable when the marines and IG are operating together. And when the marines are operating solo, their one true asset is the lightning orbital strike. If there is roughly a thousand chapters, and roughly one million worlds in the Imperium, then there is roughly one Marine per planet.

With a resource so frighteningly rare, you would only risk it in the most extreme of circumstances. Yes, Marines are a renewable resource, but they renew slowly. So attempting to co-ordinate the landing of armour with a drop pod assault, which places the armour, the transporter, and the crews of both at extreme risk for negligable benefit would have to be a last resort maneuver.

If everything has gone right, you have dropped right onto your target and don't need to move around. If everything has gone wrong and you have missed your target, you don't have time to wait around for the armour to be deployed, and unless the target was going to win you several systems, it likely isn't worth attempting a ground based assault. The costs would simply be too high.

Brother Siccarius
22-08-2008, 06:00
marines do lightning fast raids, which is there speciality. their favourite method of deploying fast and relatively safely is the drop pod. but how in a drop pod assault near or behind enemy lines deploy vehicles. thunderhawks would likely be shot down, and if your trying to destroy that stompa mob before it gets finished, how do you get your landraiders down safely?

Land them some ways away, and armored spearhead them into enemy territory, drawing them away, then land my drop troops on the target. If things get too hairy for the tanks, pull them out (They're pretty well armored, generally)

ChaosBeast
22-08-2008, 09:00
yes but if your attacking an enemy world, where there is no friendly territory, what then. do you think they might have designed a special tank drop pod?

ChrisMurray
22-08-2008, 09:10
The Marines would be assigned the mission of taking out the air defence guns asa high priority, once this is done the TH and THT can bring tanks\supplies\more marines down in "relitive" safety.

RCgothic
22-08-2008, 10:21
Agreed with Chris.

If there was heavy AA resistance, first there would be an orbital bombardment against airfields and defence silos. This would be followed up by a drop pod strike to clean up what little is left.

Then they would then establish a landing zone, either at the shattered AA defence sites or at a more suitable site by another drop pod landing, and then the thunderhawks would deliver the rest of the chapter, including Heavy Armour.