PDA

View Full Version : Swarms and Warmachines

Red_Duke
21-08-2008, 16:50
Quick question on swarms...

Ive seen them used before to protect the front of a unit containing mages, given they can be seen over, but stop pesky fliers and other unpleasantness just hitting the unit and killing the mages. Question is, would this work as well with warmachines? If you stick a couple of swarms right infront of it, can fliers still charge the warmachine? or would they have to deal with the swarm first?

Now of course they could still flank charge the machine, but presumably, since there isnt enough space infront of the machine for a. the fliers, and b. the crew, im assuming they would at least be safe from that direction.

Correct? or am i barking up the wrong tree (so to speak)

Malorian
21-08-2008, 16:59
They would block a charge just like in any other situation.

Don't know how point effective that is though. What army and warmachine is this a question for?

Red_Duke
21-08-2008, 17:03
Primarily thinking TK in this case - the SSC's are somewhat vulnerable to random fliers, and while normally id always burrow a swarm, if against something lacking shooting that comes at you relatively quick (brets, new DE, Daemons, etc) theres less reason to risk the swarms underground, so its a matter of looking at more 'defensive' duties for them. Given theyre swarms, they can redeploy on different sides of a warmachine in good order too - making life harder for all those scouting/flying troops that tend to head straight for the catapults.

Malorian
21-08-2008, 17:17
Tk eh?... Well with chariots and magic you should be able to get the jump on any fliers setting up to take out your catapults.

Cheap fliers also have a hard time taking out TK catapults because they have to pass a fear test to charge and you can raise them back up if they don't get it done in the first round.

I wouldn't be overly worried about that if I were you, but seeing as your swarms have so many uses it doesn't hurt to take some anyway and then be ready for anything.

Braad
22-08-2008, 08:10
AFAIK swarms don't have any rules that allow others to see over them, except maybe some army specific stuff.

If I missed out on something and they do, please give me a page reference, cause I'd obviously be interested in that.

havoc626
23-08-2008, 11:05
AFAIK swarms don't have any rules that allow others to see over them, except maybe some army specific stuff.

If I missed out on something and they do, please give me a page reference, cause I'd obviously be interested in that.

Pg. 28 of the TK army book, says that they are small and dont block LOS.

As far as the OP, I find Tomb Swarms too expensive to do this in most cases, unless it is a fast opponent that you are up against and you have nothing better to do with them. They just arent worth using them as a charge screen. I know that TK dont have anything else, but if there is a hill, chuck the Catapult on that, have a small squad of skeletons in front of it, and theres a decent charge screen. Works for me at least.

txamil
23-08-2008, 17:59
All the swarms except bats have the small rule I think? Anyone confirm?