PDA

View Full Version : Krieg Weather

Drogmir
21-08-2008, 19:20
something I noticed when reading through the IA5 book is that the Krieg weather seems to be constantly changing throughout it's history, that now I'm kind of confused what exact state it's in now.

Before the bombing it was something of a paradise world
Immediately after bombing they mention how extreme nuclear winter set in.
Then when they're readmitted into the Imperium they describe their training process involves going on the surface, and now the description sounds very much like a desert Mad Max or Cursed Earth feel.

Now I'm confused what state is Krieg in? I always imagined them to be tugging it through snow in the winter, and during the other days in constant mud and acid rain, but apparently it's actually a barren desert?

So I guess the question is, if Krieg is now a desert why in the world are Death Korps soldiers wearing Greatcoats? :confused:

DapperAnarchist
21-08-2008, 19:29
Cos its a cold desert. Imagine Mad Max, if it had been filmed in ireland. Infact, the scorched plains bits of Reign Of Fire seem rather Kreig like to me.

olmsted
21-08-2008, 19:32
because nuclear radiation wears off the winter ends and it turns into a desert. if you were to walk at hiroshima nagasaki or the testing area you would get more radiation from walking through a hospital then those places. (ATM).

the winter ended and now viola its a cold desert.

heretics bane
21-08-2008, 21:23
I thought that the half life of the plutonium(or was it uranium) used in the bombs is a good few centuries.

I would expect plenty of ash storms and "dunes" of radioactive ash.

olmsted
21-08-2008, 21:33
oh its there. im not denying that. but your not in danger unless you just run around naked all day with 3 cell phones on for 4 days.

you might develop a slight cough.

heretics bane
21-08-2008, 21:42
But when you live there its gonna kill you pretty fast then. being constantly exposed to it

olmsted
21-08-2008, 22:32
Not really as i said your picking up more radiation from your laptop/phone/hospital these days

Surgency
22-08-2008, 00:52
somehow I think they used a lot more atomics to purge krieg than any of the nuclear sites of today.

As for Krieg weather, I'd imagine all you really need to do is look at old WWI pics of the trench warfare, to get a pretty decent idea. Generally cold, wet, muddy, ruined landscapes, and the like. Of course, I could be completely wrong about that, I don't think that Krieg has ever been really detailed, apart from IA5

malika
22-08-2008, 00:55
You would assume that a world like that would have different climates on different locations...kind of like Earth. :o

Bloodknight
22-08-2008, 00:59
The halflife of uranium is 4.5 billion years ;). That means that it is technically not very dangerous, since its radiation is comparably weak. The really dangerous stuff are radioactive materials with halflives of seconds to days. They are the ones that kill you on exposure because they radiate so powerfully (that's why their halflives are that low). Uranium more or less just provokes cancer.

olmsted
22-08-2008, 03:01
finally someone has the math(whatever learning... nuclear physics FTW) to back me up

Joe Kutz
22-08-2008, 03:50
Yeah, most radiation isn't too bad...even that from nuclear weapons (it is the supersonic blast wave and fire ball that does most the damage). The most dangerous normally becomes stable within a year or less - while the longer lasting isotopes are usually not too harmful (as long as you don't take them internally).

As far as the great coats - deserts don't mean hot, and even hot deserts normally get really cold at night. On Krieg itself, they live underground according to IA V: Siege of Vraks...so weather there isn't really an issue. They also state that the great coats are treated in order to be weather proof and impervious to chemical and biological weapons - so in part it would be like modern MOP gear. All of it tends to be bulky and great fun to wear during hot weather - but it is better than being dead.

imperial_scholar
22-08-2008, 04:51
Antarctica is a desert ;)
Desert means very little rain is all. It could be snowing... cold... and barren.. but its still a desert.