PDA

View Full Version : Next Step in Empire

TheLeaderOfYou
18-03-2005, 17:42
Hey Guys,

I was wondering; I have 1,000 points in Empire and was wondering what to get next.

I have as following:

1 Warrior Priest of Sigmar; heavy armour and extra hand weapon
2 great cannons
8 knights; flag, musician, champ
24 spearmen(Priest goes here); flag, musician, shields
Detachments of
-10 spearmen w/shields
-12 Handgunners

12 handgunners

that is all, what should I do next?

User Name
18-03-2005, 18:14
25 swordsmen, a hellblaster, another cannon or moarter and some charicters should bring you to a pritty good 1500 point army

TheLeaderOfYou
18-03-2005, 19:08
Thanks! I think I'll do that

Cheesejoff
18-03-2005, 19:22
That should do. Make one of the handgunners into detachments, get enough spearmen for a full unit, then get some free company detachments.

And don't use spearmen as detachments!

Krusk
18-03-2005, 20:14
I would convert some of the spearmen into those swordsmen. If you made the knights with lances, you have "handweapons" which are what "swords" are supposed to be. Its cheap, and different

TheLeaderOfYou
18-03-2005, 21:04
I would convert some of the spearmen into those swordsmen. If you made the knights with lances, you have "handweapons" which are what "swords" are supposed to be. Its cheap, and different

have you ever put together a unit of spearmen? all you put together are the hands, which are already holding the spear. no way to put handweapons on them. I am buying a unit of Swordsmen soon to replace the spearmen and am getting some h-berds for detach's.

Spider
18-03-2005, 22:11
Swordsmen. Lots and lots of swordsmen. IMO they are one of the finest core units available to any army.

Plus from a painting persective that big shield each fellow carries is great at covering up an otherwise crappy paintjob...perfect when you (like me) just cannot stand the thought of even looking at a paintbrush.

Hywel
20-03-2005, 12:49
As others have noted: Swordsmen - 25 minimum.

Then a unit of 6 pistoliers, they will add so many options to your army. They can do pretty much anything.

After that - season with characters and other units to personal taste.

boogle
20-03-2005, 12:51
if you are doing a proper Empire army, you should really have 1 unit of Halberdiers as they are a mainstay in Empire armies in the fluff

Maelstrom
20-03-2005, 14:52
Pistoliers ar a great addiion I think in 1500 points you should have a warrior priest, a BSB and a wizard. This gives you decent magic defence and ok offensivley, and with the priest and BSB decent chances in combat.

Bob the destroyer
20-03-2005, 14:58
Swordmean and detachments of hailberders

TheLeaderOfYou
20-03-2005, 15:13
what does BSB mean?

Frodo34x
20-03-2005, 15:27
Battle Standard Bearer

Hal
21-07-2005, 07:44
Don't feel pressured into taking Halberdiers - the fluff only dictates that Electorial state armies take them. I, myself, use a small border outpost town, with spearmen and militia of all sorts.

~Hal

Kalanic
21-07-2005, 08:01
Hey Guys,

I was wondering; I have 1,000 points in Empire and was wondering what to get next.

I have as following:

1 Warrior Priest of Sigmar; heavy armour and extra hand weapon
2 great cannons
8 knights; flag, musician, champ
24 spearmen(Priest goes here); flag, musician, shields
Detachments of
-10 spearmen w/shields
-12 Handgunners

12 handgunners

that is all, what should I do next?

This seems like a nice starting point. The previous suggestions for swordsmen are good, they are good, solid core choice for a parent unit in a infantry batallion. I'd also suggest getting something different for your detachment choices...grab a box of militia and get a couple units of 10 free company for some detachments. Spearmen aren't really good as detachments when compared with Free Company, Halbreds, or Swordsmen, and are much better as a parent unit.

As for halbred, fluff-wise it'd be good to have them. Gamewise, they're better off as a detachment. Model-wise...the models are a pain!! I'd use the halbreds from the Free Company sprue for them rather than those two part monstrocities in the soldiers box.

To the above suggestion of another cannon...if you already have two, adding a third at this point is probably not the best use of points. Grab some pistoleers, a wizard, a second group of knights, or another infantry battalion and flesh out your army...two cannon are usually sufficient to deal with the major threats.

TheOneWithNoName
21-07-2005, 10:27
if you are doing a proper Empire army, you should really have 1 unit of Halberdiers as they are a mainstay in Empire armies in the fluff

Halberdiers... what are those? :rolleyes:

Ozorik
21-07-2005, 11:18
I dont like handgunner detachments personally as they force your parent unit to be static or they are wasted. I use archers as a missile detachment, they dont do much shooting but they do screen your main units very well and can march block if you feel the need to.

For 1500 I would get either a unit of pistoliers or a captain on a pegasus with knight kit. both these options cost about the same and fulfill similar roles. Namely marchblocking, weak unit hunting and lone character assasinations. The pegasus is a more survivable but the pistoliers can do hideous things on a flank or rear charge if they havnt been shot to bits.

20 swordsmen with full command and 10 free company comes in at 235 ish. another cannon and a lvl 1 wizard with a dispel scroll would come to about 1500 and would be pretty powerful

Angerland
22-07-2005, 05:34
A unit of Huntsmen with Scout and Skirmish is always useful. Pistoliers are considered by many, including me, to be THE best fast cavalry in the game, be sure to upgrade a champion and give him the repeater pistol. Swordsmen and a Militia Box for free company would be my next purchases.

Hand gunners as detachments are just fine, not all of your infantry has to maarch across the board. I have no troubles leaving my big spearmen back to hold the line with handgunners and such. The Str 4 plus armor pen is too valuable not to take.

Muffin Man
22-07-2005, 06:18
If you really want to lose some spearmen and be fluffy, buy a box of state troops and assemble as swordsmen. Take the left over halberds and swap the blade heads/part of the shaft with the spearheads/part of the shaft. Voila, swordsmen and halberdiers ready to go. No idea about the difficulty of this weapon swap as the shaft for the spear/halberd seems rather small.

Gaius Marius
25-07-2005, 21:00
I will always advocate that second unit of Knights. One inner circle, one not, one with you army general leading it, the other with a warrior priest or BSB.

nikolai7
25-07-2005, 21:28
A Hellblaster, some pistoliers and like everyone has mentioned swordsmen.. they are awesome

Master Fulgrim
03-08-2005, 21:03
If your going at 2000 points, add a Grandmaster to your knights ;).

Fulgrim

zvonda
04-08-2005, 10:35
Swordsmen are your best foot unit (costwise in both cash and points). 5 to 6 pistoliers are great, but cost a lot of money. The same for hellblaster.
May be you should buy one more box of plastic knights: 1+AS rocks.

LaughinGremlin
06-08-2005, 05:45
What kind of lord do you want? You may want your priest, which you already have, to be an Arch Lector (lord -- a WD update). Decide what characters you want, and if you want them mounted or not. Dont' bother with an engineer, because you want more dispell dice.

Pan
09-08-2005, 23:38
Important:

NEVER EVER have a knight unit of 8 as this is the uttermost crappy number of knights in a unit.
This is because only half of the expensive models get to fight while the other half just gives a +1 rankbonus, which is taken away the moment just one of them falls.
Good sizes of knight-units are 6 or 10. Or anything but 8.

gortexgunnerson
11-08-2005, 19:14
Which WD is the arch lector in?? And I really rate Engineers, especially with 2 cannons. You then have a super reliable and very damaging weapon

Angerland
12-08-2005, 03:15
You don't want your army general out in front of the core of your army leading Knights. The main purpose of your General as opposed to other armies is his leadership of 9. Your infantry blocks need this boost to stay in the game. Knights are already 8's aand the CR thast the general will add is going to be of more use in an infantry combat.